Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/08/09 00:12

GlenP

first time defeated game, no outtro (Mac OS X)

I have had the Oni Mac OS 9 CD, patched for OS X on my Mac for a while, but never really got into it, other than training and the first mission.  I just recently re-discovered it and completed all the missions, including both versions of the final chapter, with some help from the walkthrough & tips at GameSpot.  At completion of both alternate endings, I get the final mission complete image, but there was no outttro movie or cut-scene, the application just quits.  Bummer.  I have version 1.1 running under Mac OS 10.4.11 on a G4 MDD 1.25GHz DP, 20-inch screen at 1600x1200, NVIDEA GeForce4 Ti 4600 128MB VRAM. 

what a great game, just bummed about the final cut-scene, I found one posted on YouTube, just wish my copy would work properly.  Any ideas?

#2 12/08/09 10:12

EdT
Website

Re: first time defeated game, no outtro (Mac OS X)

Take a look in your GameDataFolder do you have the file outro.bik?  That is the final cutscene.

#3 12/08/09 13:12

Samer
Website

mm yeah actually i had a copy of Oni cd once that didn't have the outro cut-scene and i was very disappointed .. make sure u have an original legit copy.

Last edited by Samer (12/08/09 14:12)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#4 12/08/09 13:12

dream996

i will try and find my outtro....(i have put it somewhere....because i use to have to press ctrl alt del to shut the game down after i complete it so i just cut it and put it somewhere else

*i cant guarantee anything

PunBB bbcode test

#5 12/08/09 15:12

Dirk Gently
Website

If the site allows it I can upload my outro.bik file for you.

#6 12/08/09 20:12

GlenP

Yes, I have the outro.bik file in the GameDataFolder, maybe I could try reinstalling from the CD, I have the Feral/Rockstar/Take2 version, looks like an original, not sure if I bought this on eBay or where I got it from now it was several years ago.

EDIT: Looking at the Oni ReadMe file on the CD it says:
"Known Issues...
[OSX Beta] Intro and outro cell animated movies do not play because the Bink Shared Library currently does not support OSX. If you run Oni in "classic" mode then this problem is not present..."

funny, now that I think about it, I don't remember the intro movie either.

EDIT #2:  okay so I had to reinstall the "Bink Shared Library" file from the CD into my OS 9 System Folder/Extensions of my Classic Environment and now both the intro and outro movies play as expected.  (took me several trys to defeat Muro again)  When you "Get Info" (cmd-I) on the Oni application there is a checkbox to "Open in the Classic environment" rather than as a native OS X app.  The portions of the intro movie with fast motion have some scan line artifacts, but the outro with much slower action seems to play smoothly.  I haven't tried running when booted in OS 9, this is in OSX 10.4.11 Classic mode. 

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by GlenP (12/09/09 00:12)

#7 12/09/09 06:12

Iritscen

All right, glad it's working, GlenP.  Intel Mac users like myself can't run Oni in Classic mode, but this is useful information for those still on PPC.  I seem to recall movies once working on my MBP, but now I can only hear sound, with a black screen, so you're probably in a better position than most of us!

P.S.: You can avoid losing your progress when you re-install by saving the persist.dat file somewhere safe, that's your saved game.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#8 12/09/09 10:12

GlenP

Good point about the persist.dat file.  Once I read the note in the ReadMe about Classic mode, it became obvious to me that the missing part was in the OS 9 System Folder, I had recently reinstalled the Mac OS 9 onto my (new-to-me) G4 Tower MDD, but was using Oni last on my old G3, so the System Folder Extensions were missing.

Also, some relevant links on this page, probably well known to most here already:
http://oni.bungie.org/res/utilities.html
Oni Save Game Editor, I wish I knew about that when I got stuck in a couple of places and had to repeat the previous save point with a little more health to get through the next save point.  And the Bink Video player to watch the cut-scenes.

(PS - For Intel Macs there is a program called SheepShaver to emulate PPC/OS 9, but not sure how well it works with 3D games.
http://lowendmac.com/mac2win/08m2w/shee … -os-x.html
and of course you have options for running the Windows version on the Intel Mac, VMWare, Parallels, DarWINE, BootCamp.)

Board footer