Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 10/17/09 12:10

Samer
Website

Re: SoftImage (XSI) Mod Tools - Tips, Techniques and Tutorials

the first link helped I joined them to one object in xsi ... but now converting it to oni tongue it's not converting ... giving errors ( that regard the new object) ...i'll keep trying smile thank u for everything

it's saying : geometry geometries 18 : Multiple primitive groups per mesh are not supported ...

any idea what that might mean ?

Last edited by Samer (10/17/09 13:10)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#27 10/17/09 13:10

Iritscen

That sounds like you grouped the objects but did not truly merge the geometry, or else you performed the correct operation but didn't apply it.  Just guessing at the problem, I don't really know XSI smile

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#28 10/17/09 22:10

EdT
Website

Almost got it.  After you merge the 2 parts together, XSI still keeps the original parts, so you need to delete the mic and head, keeping the merged version.  I used the schematic view to see how the parts are connected, then deleted the original parts and parented the merged part.

However, one thing I couldn't figure out is how to set the centerpoint for the merged part, I ran out of time. Tomorrow, I won't have time to play around with XSI.

Maybe this info will help you a bit more.

#29 10/18/09 02:10

Samer
Website

mm I did delete the original parts the first time I tried this tongue and re-parented ... and also realized I can't use the mic. file u gave me cz it had no texture mapping. ... so I used comguy ... selected the mic by selecting all involved edges ... translated it ... clicked on poly mesh on the left and clicked on Extract Polygons (keep)... c.. then deleted the rest of comguy face and body parts...

selected the first head and the mic which is now an object clicked on polymesh and selected merge ... I also realized i should click on merge UVS and weights etc ... cz when i didn't onisplit gave an error saying there is no texture mapping ...  made sure they are 1 object now and named it head

when i try to convert back to oni it says : geometry geometries 18 : Multiple primitive groups per mesh are not supported ...
sad
what is a center point xD I thought i saw an option saying something about a center point ... I'll give it another go today .

#30 10/18/09 09:10

EdT
Website

From the error message, it seems you still have something extra in your model.

The centerpoint is where the part will rotate around.  If you click on different parts of the body, you will see the xyz icon appear where you can move or drag the part.  The location of the xyz icon is the centerpoint.

If you still have problems, post the model and I'll look at it on Monday.

#31 10/18/09 13:10

Samer
Website

here it is ... if u have time ... eventually I'll just draw it on if it keeps not working ...

but it would be really cool if we figured out how to do this .. it'll open the door for so much ... tanker with comguy's goggles, Konoko's sunglasses on other characters ... etc ^_^

these are the dae ... the one without the mic converts fine back to oni the one with doesn't

Last edited by Samer (11/16/09 05:11)

#32 10/18/09 23:10

EdT
Website

I'm sorry, but, I just cannot figure out XSI tools and how to solve the problems you are having.

When you merged the parts, what setting did you use for: Inputs construction mode,  I selected Modeling. Don't know if that will make a difference.

Further, I can't find the way to set the centerpoint or pivot point for a body part.  We need to know how to do that, if we bring in non-Oni parts.

3D modeling is really my weakest point when it comes to modding.

#33 10/19/09 07:10

Samer
Website

EdT thanks for trying and for the effort u put smile really appreciate it ... hopefully one day we'll figure it out .. I'll keep trying ... maybe not for this particular project but for a future one .
and I hope 1 day I'll be as good of a modder as u are.

#34 10/19/09 08:10

Stevinlewis

EdT is this white hair growing software free? Or must you pay it? Is it difficult to learn? How old are you anyway? I always thought of you as a old man but im not sure.

#35 10/19/09 09:10

Iritscen

XSI's free, as mentioned twice on the previous page wink  And all respectable 3D modeling apps are hard to learn.  They're complex programs.

#36 10/19/09 23:10

EdT
Website

I basically, followed your steps, except I extracted the goggles part from the comguy and added it to a tanker! :-)

The problem appears to be the materials part of the head.  Hopefully you saved your work as a scene, the dae info is not enough.  If you press 8, you will get the explorer window, as you look through the body parts, when you get to the head, you will see that it has a lot more data associated with it, compared to the other parts.  That's causing the error in OniSplit.

How to fix it?  I don't know at the moment.  But at least made some progress in the investigation to the problem.

Also, in the first post, I added some more links to tutorials I found for XSI.  One of them gave the solution to the centerpoint question I had :-)

#37 10/20/09 00:10

Stevinlewis

how come u guys need to discuss a tool like this? Dosent it come with a handy book  cool ?

#38 10/20/09 01:10

Gumby

No. tongue

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#39 10/23/09 13:10

EdT
Website

Merge parts and export work around tutorial.

Before you merge any parts take note of the location of the centerpoint of the original part, you will need to set the merged part to the same setting. To see the centerpoint, click on the original object then press V. you will see the xyz icon at the centerpoint.

Select the parts you want to merge.

Go to the menu and select Model/Poly.Mesh/Merge

You will get the dialog box, Merge Meshes.  Set tolerance to 0

Under Materials, UV's header. select Merge. 
Then under Inputs header click Delete.  This removes the original parts.

Rename the merged part to the name of the original.

Now click on the merged part and press the V key.  You see the xyz icon appear, this is the current location of the centerpoint for the merged part.

Click on CENTER on the SELECT Panel,  then press V to access the move icon, then move the centerpoint to the correct location. Click on CENTER again to set the pivot.

Using the CONSTRAIN Panel, click on the PARENT button to set the parent child relationship of the the merged part.

Finally, in the EDIT panel, click on the FREEZE button.  This will clear the modeling history.

Export the model as FBX (File/Crosswalk/Export FBX)  In the dialog box, unselect the Cameras, Lights and Animation options.

Convert the FBX file to DAE using FBXConverter.  Now you convert the DAE to .oni format with OniSplit.

You can get FBXConverter 2009.3 from here:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc … d=13091443

Here is a quick example of taking the googles and mic from the Comguy and putting in on the Fury's head.  Of course, the TXMP needs to be adjusted of the googles and mic, which I did not.
ComFury.jpg

#40 10/23/09 14:10

Samer
Website

I will have to add a little something to what u said EdT

before u convert to fbx .. press Alt + 7 or view -> rendering and texturing -> Texture Editor ...

look at the texture map ... Probably the new mesh will have overlapped parts which will make it difficult to texture later ... in my case the microphone and the back of the head overlapped so if I made the hair blond the mic will have the same texture .

so find the parts that overlap ... u can select view --> show overlaps in the texture editor in xsi to see them ... then select them either point by point or by tools -> rectangle select tool

after u select them press v or tools -> translate and move them to an empty region of the texture map where u are able to texture them later

then convert to fbx and continue as Edt said smile

here's an example:
Fullscreen%20capture%2011162009%20123500%20PM.bmp.jpg
here u can see the red parts on Casey's face in the texture map which represent overlapping .

here's a finished example :
blondy.JPG

the mic came from com guy the glasses from Kerr the head from a scientist

#41 10/23/09 14:10

Mukade

plus plus -- very good wink

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#42 10/23/09 14:10

Leus
Website

Awesome.

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#43 11/16/09 05:11

Samer
Website

How to preview textures on the model in XSI

In XSI first import the model u're working on as dae after conversion from TRBS

then press Alt + 7 or view -> rendering and texturing -> Texture Editor ...

2- select textured decal  as viewing option instead of wireframe

3- in the texture editor window click file import clip and select the picture file of the texture u want to use ...

4- select the body part that corresponds to this texture and it will appear on ur model

compare the map and how it looks on the 3d model ( for example select a point on the texture map and see which point is selected on the model)

example :

Fullscreen%20capture%2011162009%20123728%20PM.bmp.jpg

#44 11/24/09 13:11

dream996

what about a tutorial ....just making a basic head shape ?

PunBB bbcode test

#45 11/24/09 18:11

Iritscen

Just use an existing head, it's 100x easier.

#46 11/24/09 18:11

Samer
Website

none of us I think has built a head from scratch in XSI so don't expect a tutorial on that ... what u can do like Iritscen said is modify an existing head .. for example Casey uses Karen's ( female cop) head, BGI agent's head is a combination of scientist - com guy - kerr - and even striker ... after some modification it looks really good i think ^_^ so don't complicate urself start with the basics .

#47 11/24/09 19:11

EdT
Website

dream996: In my first post there is a link to a video tutorial on how to make a robot soldier.

#48 11/24/09 20:11

EdT
Website

Modifying an unwrapped model is probably easier than using the default animation state.  Here's how to unwrap the model.

Oni_unwrapped.jpg

Note: You can export an unwrapped model as DAE. OniSplit will read the DAE and set all the rotations of an unwrapped model back to 0 before importing to Oni. 

Remember, the default animation state with all the body part's rotation set to 0 (zero) on the x,y,z axis is how the Oni game engine expects the data for the character to be.  So if you are creating a new model from scratch, you will need to get all the body parts aligned in the default animation state so it to be imported correctly.

Last edited by EdT (11/24/09 23:11)

#49 11/25/09 00:11

Samer
Website

Ed that's extremely helpful !! I've been trying to figure out a way to see the model in a non-overlapped form ... this will make things much easier smile
I'm amazed by how u figure things out ^_^

I'm not clear on one point though, after I use the rotate on the parts ... should I "freeze rotation" so they are set to 0 or will OniSpli handle that ?

also ... how do u make the textures show up on the whole model at the same time ? .. I haven't been able to figure that out on my own I just found out how to preview them on 1 part at a time as I wrote in my previous post.

Last edited by Samer (11/25/09 00:11)

#50 11/25/09 01:11

EdT
Website

Samoko: If you are rotating the parts just to view them (or modify them) in an unwrapped pose, then you should not freeze the rotation.  The only time you would freeze the rotation (set the rotation to 0 on all the axis) is when the part is in the proper default animation state.

In the above example, OniSplit will see from the DAE's data that the thigh was rotated 180 degrees on the Y axis and will change it back to 0 rotation.  So basically, OniSplit will take an unwrapped model and "wrap it back up" before importing it to Oni.  However, if you were to freeze the thigh as it were in the above example, then OniSplit will accept that position as the default animation state and when it was imported into Oni, the thigh will probably be pointing up.  I hope I explained it better :-)

I exported the ONCC for Konoko as DAE, and that gave me the DAE and the textures.  XSI imported the DAE with the textures, so then I changed the view mode from wireframe to textured.  If you exported the TRBS for Konoko, then no textures are included.

Board footer