Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 10/16/09 07:10

Samer
Website

Re: Survival: RELEASE!

true but it's not like I'm spamming or posting unnecessary stuff, i made the second post so that Leus gets notified that i want t upload his mod to the depot .. the 2 posts had irrelevant ideas

when i make a mistake or want to update something I always edit ... anyway is see ur point .. but if it happens again know it's not intentional ... and if u want just delete it without adding another comment that i didn't edit, then i'll reply then u'll reply ...  much more spam then the double post was.

also u should add this to the rules  (for new comers)

since we are talking about forum etiquette one thing i find really annoying is when someone quotes a large post (sometimes including photos and links) just to point out a sentence out of it ... can u do something about that ?

(i can link examples if u want)

edit : tongue  is there a reward if someone has a high number of posts ? why would anyone intentionally try to raise his\her number of posts ?

Last edited by Samer (10/16/09 07:10)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#27 10/16/09 08:10

Iritscen

Samoko wrote:

true but it's not like I'm spamming or posting unnecessary stuff, i made the second post so that Leus gets notified that i want t upload his mod to the depot .. the 2 posts had irrelevant ideas

Once in a rare while, I've been known to make a double-post because the second post was on a different subject.  But this is uncommon, because usually it's not on such a different subject that I can't just tack on a part to the previous post by saying "Edit: Some added text" so people notice it.  If it's on a really different subject, after all, you wouldn't be posting in that thread at all.

also u should add this to the rules  (for new comers)

There's a FAQ going up soon that mentions it, just waiting on Harry.  It's not a rule, in the sense that you can get in trouble for breaking it, just a matter of forum etiquette, as you said.

one thing i find really annoying is when someone quotes a large post (sometimes including photos and links) just to point out a sentence out of it ... can u do something about that ?

I've seen that happen a few times, and yes, it's annoying.  I haven't bothered saying anything to people who do it, though, because it doesn't happen a lot.  I finally decided to start speaking up about double-posting because of the sheer amount of it that has been going on lately.  I suspect you guys don't realize how much you've been doing it because it's become a habit.

edit : tongue  is there a reward if someone has a high number of posts ? why would anyone intentionally try to raise his\her number of posts ?

There's no real status or reward that comes with a high post count, although members of many forums have been known to care about their post count anyway.  Some forums do reward high post counts with different ranks, although I don't think OCF ever has done that.  Anyway, I'm simply trying to encourage efficient use of the forum and less off-the-cuff posts followed by "oh yeah, and also" posts.  At the end of the day, I'd rather have double-posts than meaningless spam posts like some users have been known to make.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#28 10/16/09 11:10

Leus
Website

What Samoko was talking about is why I double post sometimes; as an example, last night Samoko and I were both posting in the BGI thread.  He posted something, I read it, wrote a post and posted it.  I didn't notice for a while that he'd actually edited a bunch of stuff into his post while I was writing mine.  I feel like it's MORE annoying to have to re-read every post every time you come to a thread to see if maybe someone added something.

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#29 10/16/09 12:10

Iritscen

Leus wrote:

I didn't notice for a while that he'd actually edited a bunch of stuff into his post while I was writing mine.

Well, that happens to everyone sooner or later; we also sometimes miss a new post that's been made before posting ours, so I'm not sure editing posts is the problem here.  If it happens to you a lot, then it's only because people are hitting Submit and then going back and fixing stuff instead of thinking longer before hitting Submit the first time wink

I feel like it's MORE annoying to have to re-read every post every time you come to a thread to see if maybe someone added something.

Well, if someone edited their post from five posts back, it wouldn't be preventing a double-post anyway, so we're not talking about that kind of situation.  You should only have to look for that telltale line "Last edited by Joe (Today 12:00)" at the bottom of the last post in the thread to see if it's been edited, and then look for the changes in that one post, before replying.  Also, this is why forumgoers developed the custom of adding new text in at the end of the post after the word "Edit:", so you could easily see what changed in the previous post.

Trust me, it all works out nice and neat this way, or it wouldn't be standard practice across the Internet.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#30 10/16/09 17:10

Mukade

on-topic maybe??? tongue

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#31 10/16/09 20:10

Leus
Website

Damnit!  I thought I was brilliant!  I was going to make a "Random Fight Generator" using the basic structure of this script, but giving every character the same character variant so who they were would be completely random...  But at the last second I realized they wouldn't have their proper combat/melee IDs in the BINACHAR.  sad

If I can figure it out some other way I'll try.

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#32 10/22/09 15:10

Samer
Website

here we go ^_^ http://mods.oni2.net/node/106

I added a little warning that the persist.dat file should be backed up since new save points will be added.

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#33 10/22/09 15:10

Leus
Website

Oh dang.  I didn't back mine up.  Lol.

#34 03/22/10 13:03

s10k
Website

Just gave a try to this today.

Died 21 times from the beginning awesome mod.

#35 04/27/10 03:04

Leus
Website

smile Thanks Script.

#36 12/04/10 11:12

azewrath

I'm new to these add on mods and was initially unsure what to do. After a few trial and error, i figured that i should add your files into the packages folder of the AE and got them installed. I also deleted all the original files in the level19_Final folders and replace the compound_survival.bsl file(the only file in that folder). However, after installing your mod, all i see in the load game is the training and 1st level of the game. Any ideas where i went wrong?

Ps : I downloaded and copied the fullset of the Survival zip file

RESERVOIRDOGS - Trust no one... for real

#37 12/04/10 12:12

Gumby

It's not an addon mod and nonaddon mods are currently broken in the public release. Sorry.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

Board footer