Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/03/07 22:02

Mango

When Did You Hear About Oni?

I wanted to know when people here actually discovered Oni.

I first heard about it in 1999 on a trailer. It was on a Mac software and games preview CD. (I uploaded it to Google Video. I recently found the disk in a stack of old CDs). Then, 7 years later (the number of Bungie!!!) in early 2006, I came across it in an Apple Centre on special for [AUD] $20.

Did anyone else here have a conection with the number 7 and when you got Oni? Maybe you got it a week after it was released, or you were 7 years old! (OK, maybe that is pushing it a bit).

Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!!

oniuserbaren4.png

#2 02/04/07 00:02

Tosh
Website

Re: When Did You Hear About Oni?

I dunno if it had anything to do with 7, but my friend was a fan and let me borrow the CD a long time ago and never asked for it back. smile

Last edited by Tosh (02/04/07 00:02)

#3 02/04/07 05:02

Fluffy

I got the demo on a CD - that is now in a place so incredibly safe I forgot where I put it - with a Mac magazine in 2001. I liked the picture of Konoko on the cover, so I played it and got hooked. I actually found the trailer a while later in an older CD from the same magazine. Shortly after playing the demo, though I don't remember exactly when, I bought it for an insane £35! As for sevens, 35 is a multiple of 7. Heh.

Last edited by Fluffy (02/04/07 06:02)

#4 02/04/07 05:02

Last_Hero

Well, I read about it in a UK games and other software/hardware mail order catalogue called Special Reserve as they also did a few pages on game reviews at the back. The idea and the way it was described hooked me, but it wasn't until about three years or so later (when my computer could actually play it) I picked it up at Asda for £5, its the TakeAdvantage release, including manual. I have them now in near mint condition, and still read the manual from time to time.

Last edited by Last_Hero (02/04/07 05:02)

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die

#5 02/04/07 07:02

stripeytiger

The very first time I found out about Oni was in a PC Gamer magazine going back to 1997 or 1998.  It was an advertisement showing Konoko holding a gun and what I think might have the Iron Demon frying a group of Syndicate strikers.  I was very interested to see what kind of game it was.  Little did I know that I would have to wait until 2001 to actually get this game.  I was in grade 9 or 10 high school by the time I got the game.  Considering how old I am now, mathematical calculations place me around...14 years old at that time!

Last edited by stripeytiger (02/04/07 14:02)

#6 02/05/07 12:02

Aiko

Mango wrote:

I wanted to know when people here actually discovered Oni.

I got Oni on a trial CD rom in the MacAddict magazine. They always have a CD in each issue.  It contained levels 1 and 4. I was intrigued! I loved it and played it on my then, OS9, graphite iMac.  As I got better, I solved the game and wanted a full version.  During the purchase of Mac equipment and software from MacMall, I convinced my sales rep to give me the game for free as a gratuity for spending USD$5,000 with them. And she did. So, yeah, I got Oni for free and been loving it ever since! smile

Aiko

#7 02/05/07 16:02

EdT
Website

I'm ashamed to admit this, it was the first time I went to E3 either in 1999 or 2000.  Apple had their own room and they had several computers on a network playing Oni.  Yes the multiplayer version!  They were showing how you can shapeshift and fight against network opponents.  I think you were even able to send messages. However, I didn't spend much time there... :-(

I wanted to go through the convention and see all the other console and computer games, so that's all I saw of Oni, I didn't even try to play the demo.

But I did preorder the game so when it came out, I got it right away and soon I discovered the original Oni Central Forum.

I wish I knew then what I know now...

Last edited by EdT (02/05/07 16:02)

#8 02/05/07 17:02

Alloc
Website

Why could *you* be ashamed? I got it ... hmmmm ... think it was 2001. Saw it at my neighbours and thought "hey, great graphics, good gameplay and it's h2h" (well, I really like animes wink ). Didn't took long til I searched for stuff on the net and info about a possible sequel ... and made my way to this forum. Little time later my dev-side-work on ONI began wink

ONI2.net, link to just any important resource-pages about ONI.

#9 02/05/07 18:02

Tosh
Website

EdT wrote:

I'm ashamed to admit this, it was the first time I went to E3 either in 1999 or 2000.  Apple had their own room and they had several computers on a network playing Oni.  Yes the multiplayer version!  They were showing how you can shapeshift and fight against network opponents.  I think you were even able to send messages. However, I didn't spend much time there... :-(

I wish I knew then what I know now...

If only you had known, you could've jacked us a copy. wink

But yeah I forgot, I had the demo before I got the game, the PC Gamer one I think.

#10 02/06/07 03:02

Mango

Well someone must have a copy of it... tucked away nice and safe in a classified archive...

oniuserbaren4.png

#11 02/06/07 12:02

dez_zt

you've hit the nail on the head Mango

Snach a copy, would be great, there must be one for every version, btw is it true that in the early times the game had more levels? Tracking down a former employee of bungie could help in certain details, or just getting a copy quietly for some cash would do.... well not much chance of that.

Multiplayer... the things we're missing out

Anyway I saw a comercial in the tv late night, just browsing throu some channels and a german one had it on, and I was like "I've got to have it" was in late 2001 I think. Funny thing is I never buy pc mags, or anything of that nature, I always find these great things by accident.

Last edited by dez_zt (02/06/07 12:02)

#12 02/08/07 23:02

Mango

I don't actually know why I had this magazine lying around. I don't buy them either, but this one time, the trailer to Oni was on it.

oniuserbaren4.png

#13 02/11/07 14:02

Lugas

Well...I first saw the Oni trailer on a CD. It looked great but I wasn't interested. Then I played the demo on another CD. I adored it! Then when I went to a computer store (can't remember when or where), I found Oni and purchased it there. Again, I adored it!

#14 02/12/07 01:02

Mango

Yeah, well oni is the Only game I've bought after playing through the demo several times... unless you count the other one... and that one...

oniuserbaren4.png

#15 04/13/07 14:04

Raptor

the first time i saw Oni was on Bungie.net when i was lookin at halo stuff. i clicked the the link and BAM! im addicted. now i find myself looking for forums, fan made sites, and news about Oni. None of my friends have ever heard of it but once i told them to get the demo they all wanted it smile its one of the most underrated games of all time. Oni deserves alot more than its gotten. maybe after Halo 3.....Oni 2?

#16 04/20/07 22:04

EL

The first time I heard of Oni was in a gaming magazine. I remember seeing a bunch of ads with this image.

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Oni/ … deeart.jpg

But I don't remember the first time I played Oni... it was sometime in '01.

elgamercarduj3.jpg

#17 06/28/07 22:06

azewrath

i 1st played Oni at 2001, when my uncle from the US bought me a pentium 3 computer. the game came with the pc n the next thing i know, i've been playing it. Until now.

RESERVOIRDOGS - Trust no one... for real

#18 06/28/07 22:06

azewrath

guess that it's fate then, wink

RESERVOIRDOGS - Trust no one... for real

Board footer