Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/31/07 14:05

geyser
Website

wxDev-C++

For those of us who use Dev-C++ for their coding projects (Oni-related or not), check out THIS.
Dev-C++ has been discontinued 2 years ago, and the latest release was a beta with memory leaks etc.
I only found out today that a group other than Bloodshed has actually kept working on Dev-C++
They've apparently fixed a few bugs.
They've added support for MS compilers (you can switch between MINGW and MSVC-whatever).
They've added support for quick GUI design and such.
They've added support for wxWidgets (allowing one to build cross-platform apps).

I'll be switching to it (for my job and hobbies). Hope some of you find it useful, too.

Last edited by geyser (05/31/07 14:05)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#2 05/31/07 18:05

Tosh
Website

Re: wxDev-C++

Awesome. smile
It looks really good, I hope it can load current project files still.. tongue (EDIT: It does, woo)
Anyways, will be switching over to this too, soon.

Last edited by Tosh (05/31/07 20:05)

#3 06/01/07 21:06

EdT
Website

Is it possible to make a standalone cross-platform (Win, Mac) TXMP replacer, like the one found in OUP?
I thought having a simple tool will make it easier for casual users (prehaps those with graphical talents) to make improvements to the textures.  OUP is great, but it can be complicated for non-programmers. 

I noticed that OniTools http://edt.oni2.net/tools/OniTools1.5.1.sit was written in C++, then perhaps using wxDev-c++, it would be possible to use the TXMP source code to make the application, and wxWidgets for the cross-platform app. 
Unfortunatly, as OniTools is written, it can only import textures the same size as the original, it would have to be modified so that higher resolution textures can be imported.

Is this possible? Would someone give it a try? Please!

Last edited by EdT (06/02/07 08:06)

#4 06/01/07 22:06

Tosh
Website

EdT; currently I'm working on the binary patching part of omm which includes an unpacker (because the file formats are altered for linking reasons) and it will eventually be able to export TXMPs as BMPs and such.. perhaps I can convert OMM to use wxWidgets. Problem is that I don't have a Mac compiler, or a Mac to run it.
If you know of or have a Mac C++ compiler, could you try installing the wxWidgets library and maybe in a couple releases we could get OMM working on both platforms? smile

#5 06/01/07 22:06

Mango

I have Xcode Tools installed on my computer. As it is on a system running 10.3.9, I don't know what other versions it will work for, but I could try something with that.

@EdT: You can get Xcode from the 10.4 install disc.

Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!!

oniuserbaren4.png

#6 06/02/07 10:06

geyser
Website

@ EdT: just what programming skills are required to manipulate OUP's TXMP-replacer??? hmm

@ everybody: A cross-platform app would indeed have to be built on the Mac with Xcode or similar, but the code would be the same.
Either the building process will be straightforward enough for people like Ed (Mango, do you code?). Or we may ask people from Magma.
Actually Myrd has been looking at OniTools... dunno how it went. I'll get back to him, and see if he's hot for cross-platform building.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#7 06/02/07 21:06

EdT
Website

@ geyser: I thought that wxWidgets on the PC could create a Mac compatible app. 

This is what they said on their website:

wxWidgets lets developers create applications for Win32, Mac OS X, GTK+, X11, Motif, WinCE, and more using one codebase. It can be used from languages such as C++, Python, Perl, and C#/.NET.

What I meant was that for non-programmers, OUP could seem complicated.  Whereas a single function app that only does TXMP replacing would be easier for causal users.  Besides, those with Macs can't use OUP, unless they have VirtualPC or some other emulators. 

Even for me, I have to move the dat and sep file to Virtual PC, run OUP, extract the txmp, move it back to my Mac, make the changes, move the updated file to Virtual PC, replace the TXMP, move the dat and sep files back to the Mac to test it.  Not a simple task.

Anyways, I was hoping that by having a simple to use cross-platform application for TXMP replacer, there would be more people willing to share in improving the textures in Oni.

Last edited by EdT (06/02/07 21:06)

#8 06/02/07 21:06

geyser
Website

On Intel Macs, OUP should run fine with Darwine. But you have a point smile

Using OUP as a TXMP replacer is not dissuasively complicated, come on.
We don't need artists who only know how to click big red buttons. Or do we?

In the quote you mention, the common codebase only means that you can write the program once, and then build the program on different platforms, from the same source.
Generally speaking, you still need a developing environment on every platform you build the program on, since linked libraries are typically platform-specific.
That means that there will be, technically, a little bit of work by a programmer on every platform, to actually build the program. But that work is minimal.
(and it's not specific to the project, just to the language and platform used: what's needed is to tell the linker what the target system's components are)

Last edited by geyser (06/02/07 21:06)

#9 06/02/07 21:06

Tosh
Website

I forgot Mango had a Mac, too. Either of you could compile it..
Won't be for a while though.

And letting you create applications for doesn't mean that it lets you compile for all of them. tongue

#10 06/02/07 21:06

EdT
Website

We don't need artists who only know how to click big red buttons. Or do we?

We do, especially if they can improve the textures.  :-)

So then if someone can make the TXMP replacer on the PC, then someone with a Mac and wxWidget can make a Mac version.  I get it.  I guess I'll have to start learning xcode...

Regarding Myrd, he tried to port Onitools to OSX but only a few things worked and the rest didn't.

#11 06/02/07 21:06

geyser
Website

@ EdT: If your hypothetical artists are confused by OUP's interface, I wouldn't expect them to get the best out of an image editor, either. smile
Thanks for the heads-up on Myrd. I'll still contact him, but you just made it less urgent... It's a shame that the OniTools porting didn't go well.
If you want to build something simple, you could start with the "Hello, world" example from the wxWidgets site smile

@ Tosh's tongue : oh, that was so funny hmm

#12 06/02/07 22:06

Tosh
Website

Graphical emoticons misjudge the emotion so badly something. ^^;

#13 06/03/07 01:06

Mango

Speaking of programming, I've just ordered Learning Python from Amazon.

oniuserbaren4.png

#14 06/03/07 08:06

geyser
Website

I have an unjustified grudge against Python smile

#15 06/03/07 22:06

EdT
Website

Mango: You're supposed to be our xcode expert! :-)

#16 06/04/07 00:06

Mango

Well, having a program installed on your computer doesn't mean you're instantly an expert. I put it on when I wanted to have a look at what C was all about. I learnt to call functions and do some simple stuff, but then I thought I'd start with something a bit easier, such as python.
I could probably compile something though, don't worry!

oniuserbaren4.png

Board footer