Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/05/09 00:08

Jon God

AE ideas?

When playing AE today, I decided to write down what came to mind as useful/interesting as changes.

• Diagonal crouch walking

I don't know this wasn't in the original game, but I think it would be a great addition. I am not sure if it's possible or not, but I am thowing it out there.

• Cut in game music when at main menu via escape

When you hit escape to pause the game, and there is in game music playing, it currently plays at the same time, even though the game is paused, makes quite a horrible noise.  While we're at it, I want an option for menu music, though these both might be impossible to deal with.

• Cut Scene skipping?

This is a huge one, though I don't know if it's possible to do, still would be a great thing.

• Stuttering Intro/outro movies.

In OSX, the intro/outro movies run kinda chopy and not full screen. Myth had a similar problem with intel macs not being able to view cutscenes, that is until the latest update, where they switched the format to .mov.  Not sure if this is possible in with Oni, but it's an idea, I know the people that made the 1.7 update for Myth (The latest one, which includes this feature) can talk to them about it, if needed.

-The next few are more suggestions

• Over the shoulder view, a la MGS4/Uncharted/GoW?

I was thinking it might be easier to aim with some guns if when a weapon is in the hands of the player it zooms in to an over the shoulder view:

It might work, it might not, I'd like to see how it plays.
Konoko%20OTS.jpg

• Greandes or Sidearms

I know some might wince at this, but I'd like to see how they game plays with a secondary attack (Not secondary fire) button, that throws greandes/knifes as something to mix up the gameplay. It also might be interesting to see the AI use.

• Scopes

While the Bow pretty much doubles as a sniper, it would be nice if there was some kind of zoom for it. I dunno how possible this is, however.

>Alright, so feel free to shoot this all down, I'd like to know what of it is possible though.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#2 08/05/09 01:08

Gumby

Re: AE ideas?

Jon God wrote:

When playing AE today, I decided to write down what came to mind as useful/interesting as changes.
• Diagonal crouch walking

I'd like to see it too, but I think it is an engine thing, and probably too complicated atm for me. :\ I'll double check the crouch walking animations to make sure I haven't missed something though.

• Cut in game music when at main menu via escape

That might be possible, might not. Only for PC though.

I can however make an AE package to change the main menu music. I'm not sure what you would want it changed to though.

• Cut Scene skipping?

This was in, but I had to scrap it due to annoying bugs. Sorry. sad

Can't do engine modding for Macs, sorry. sad

-The next few are more suggestions

I was thinking it might be easier to aim with some guns if when a weapon is in the hands of the player it zooms in to an over the shoulder view:

Maybe...but it would be engine modding. I don't know of a way to change the view like that right now.

• Greandes or Sidearms

If you can find someone to make a custom throwing animation, I would be glad to make a throwable weapon. I can't animate, and I don't know of anyone who can. Theoretically it is possible though.

• Scopes

Ahh, more engine modding. There is a scripting based solution, but it doesn't work as well as I'd like it to.

>Alright, so feel free to shoot this all down, I'd like to know what of it is possible though.

I don't like shooting ideas down. They are all good ideas, but most of them need engine modifications, and we only have engine modding capabilities on PC, currently. Even then, we are limited to the coding abilities of myself and rossy. smile This is further hampered by our lack of engine source code. We have to hook functions, and its a large pain in the arse.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#3 08/05/09 03:08

Jon God

I don't suppose the person doing the UB is willing to let the code be tweaked?

Jon-God.jpg

#4 08/05/09 03:08

Gumby

UB? Universal Binary? No, that was a few years ago. They are all under NDA regardless, I think.

#5 08/05/09 08:08

Iritscen

I like most of your ideas.  However, as Gumby mentioned, some are simply not very feasible at this point.  They're still worth putting out there, though, since our control over Oni continues to increase.  So one day we might be able to return to some of these suggestions.

• Cut Scene skipping?

It worked well per se, it just broke a bunch of the cutscenes (if they were to be allowed to play) smile  But aren't we going to try to fix that script so we can re-add it to the AE at some point?

Re: Oni's movies, you're lucky they work for you at all; they haven't played for me for a while tongue .  The Intel build would likely fix that issue, assuming Edwin obtains a newer version of the old Bink library Oni is currently using.  I suppose converting the movies to QT would also be an option, but only if the code were altered to support QT playback instead of Bink.

• Scopes

I personally support the idea of putting the sniper scope script into the AE.  It's not perfect, but it's sure to please a lot of people anyway.

Maybe this could be done with the sniper script?

UB? Universal Binary? No, that was a few years ago. They are all under NDA regardless, I think.

Well, I am pretty sure Jon means Edwin at Feral, who has been working on an Intel build (it actually isn't Universal, at least not in beta).  But we don't have access to that source and at this point we're just waiting for news from Edwin about progress on the build, so it's not really appropriate to ask him to do "requests" like these.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#6 08/05/09 17:08

Jon God

Iritscen wrote:

I like most of your ideas.  However, as Gumby mentioned, some are simply not very feasible at this point.  They're still worth putting out there, though, since our control over Oni continues to increase.  So one day we might be able to return to some of these suggestions.

• Cut Scene skipping?
It worked well per se, it just broke a bunch of the cutscenes (if they were to be allowed to play) smile  But aren't we going to try to fix that script so we can re-add it to the AE at some point?

Well, for someone who played through the game many times, and still plays it to this day, I have to say, this would be a wonderful addition.

Re: Oni's movies, you're lucky they work for you at all; they haven't played for me for a while tongue .  The Intel build would likely fix that issue, assuming Edwin obtains a newer version of the old Bink library Oni is currently using.  I suppose converting the movies to QT would also be an option, but only if the code were altered to support QT playback instead of Bink.

Like I said, I know the people that made Myth 1.7, who added in Quicktime support for the cutscenes, if you want, I could get some information on how it was done from them.

• Scopes
I personally support the idea of putting the sniper scope script into the AE.  It's not perfect, but it's sure to please a lot of people anyway.

Seems like it might be worth trying, at least.

I would think so, all it involves is moving the camera forward, and a touch to one side.

Well, I am pretty sure Jon means Edwin at Feral, who has been working on an Intel build (it actually isn't Universal, at least not in beta).  But we don't have access to that source and at this point we're just waiting for news from Edwin about progress on the build, so it's not really appropriate to ask him to do "requests" like these.

Aye, that's what I was talking about. Someone posted about it on another board some time ago.

Jon-God.jpg

#7 08/05/09 17:08

Iritscen

Jon God wrote:

Like I said, I know the people that made Myth 1.7, who added in Quicktime support for the cutscenes, if you want, I could get some information on how it was done from them.

Well, knowing how they did it won't help, unfortunately, because they have source and we don't.  That's the key difference between them and us, you have to keep in mind ^_^.

I would think so, all it involves is moving the camera forward, and a touch to one side.

I'm actually not sure the "to one side" part is doable in BSL.  It might only be possible to move the camera towards and away from Konoko.  But I'll let someone answer who's more knowledgeable about this.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#8 08/05/09 17:08

EdT
Website

No cutscene, you can always use this IGMD folder with all the cutscenes removed:
http://mods.oni2.net/system/files/IGMDnocut.zip

#9 08/05/09 22:08

Jon God

EdT wrote:

No cutscene, you can always use this IGMD folder with all the cutscenes removed:
http://mods.oni2.net/system/files/IGMDnocut.zip

Aye, though sometimes I might want to show someone a cutscene. tongue

I'll keep my fingers crossed for 'someday'

Jon-God.jpg

#10 08/05/09 22:08

Gumby

http://gumby.oni2.net/AE/BSL/cutscene/g … tscene.bsl

Put that file in GameDataFolder\IGMD\global if on PC or in each folder in GameDataFolder\IGMD for Mac

Skip scenes with control+shift+Y

Warning, may bug you.

#11 08/06/09 02:08

Ire Yosuke
Website

Grenades?

Use Konokos first punch animation and the projectile from SBG along with it's bouncing properties.

"There are two things that cannot be ignored in life. One is a cannon, the other, a cannon ball." - Commander Patrick "Bombard" Bomba

#12 08/06/09 02:08

Gumby

Her punch animation doesn't have the right type of motion. On top of that, it is the wrong type of animation, it needs to be an overlay animation, not a full body one.

#13 08/08/09 10:08

love_Oni

I have an idea for new gun, a gun that shoots bees. I remember that someone had mentioned about it before, but the gun has not been made. The new gun in my thought is somehow like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCrGDQg25pw

(Of course that's not really a gun yet, it is the Scram Cannon turned into Machine Mod by scripting)

So my idea is just like:
-Pick a model of any weapon (I suggest Scram Cannon's model)
-Set 5 rounds per reloading.
-Each round shoots 3 swarms (of bees, that's what I call now  tongue )
-Increase delay time between shots.
-The gun uses red ammo (ammo clip).

This is just my idea, I don't know how to make a weapon, so can someone make gun like that for me? If you don't have time or not interested in making weapon, just tell me the way to make it and I will do it myself.

Thanks!  smile

The Boy Who Knew Too Much tongue

Board footer