Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/01/09 12:08

Dirk Gently
Website

Oni Mac mouse is sticking

I am finding that my mouse control of the camera is not very smooth, it seems like it is almost sticking to a grid at times. I am using the 1.36 version of the port for OS X on my Macbook Pro. I am using a Logitech VX Revolution as well, but the sticking mouse is still there if I use an Apple single button mouse or the trackpad. I have read a few things saying that the Intel version of Oni fixes this, but as far as I can see it is in private beta or not even to the beta point yet. I would love to help beta test this if possible but I would like to play Oni without having a sticking mouse even more. Any info on a fix for this or an update to the Oni executable?

#2 08/01/09 12:08

Iritscen

Re: Oni Mac mouse is sticking

Ah, another sufferer from Sticky Mouse Syndrome.  You're only about the 4th person I know of to report this (including myself).  Yes, it's true that the Intel build fixes the mouse issue.  You can volunteer to test, just search for a thread about the Intel build and pipe up there so EdT can take your information down -- although we aren't really sending out copies right now because the current build is so crash-prone and has been pretty thoroughly reported upon already.  Also, the Intel build has a Sticky Key Issue instead, so you probably won't be better off.

There is a slight chance (slight) that this can be fixed in the current Omni build, and I was planning to look into it soon purely because it bugs the heck out of me.  I'll let you know if there's any progress.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 08/01/09 12:08

Dirk Gently
Website

Ah, thanks for the speedy response. I am glad to know it is not just me having this problem, i was starting to get worried it was Steermouse causing the problem and not the game.

This is just an idea mind you, but since the level files can be parsed and from what I have read the entire structure of them is known, why not just make a new engine to read the files and play the game?

#4 08/01/09 13:08

Iritscen

"Just"?  "Just"?  I take it you're not a programmer tongue

#5 08/01/09 13:08

Dirk Gently
Website

I am one actually, but I am just thinking it is probably going to be easier to make a newer engine with better support for the platform than dragging old code around.

#6 08/01/09 13:08

Iritscen

Hmm, a programmer, and you still think it would be easier?  hmm

In any case, it's a moot point because (1) we don't have the source and there's still parts of the file formats we don't understand, (2) Pierre is already writing a new next-generation engine would make rewriting the basic Oni engine lame by comparison, and (3) nobody has 1/100th of the time needed to do such a project.

Sorry if that sounds snarky, it's just that we've been getting these "new engine" suggestions often lately.  smile

#7 08/01/09 14:08

Dirk Gently
Website

heh, I fully understand. Like I said, I was just thinking aloud.

#8 08/01/09 14:08

Gumby

Neo already has something similar going, but it is for exploratory purposes only, not for gameplay.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#9 08/01/09 14:08

Iritscen

Well, let's be clear, that's just a recreation of a portion of the code, not an engine per se.

#10 08/01/09 14:08

Gumby

No, its an engine. tongue

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#11 08/01/09 15:08

Iritscen

Well, potayto potahto.

#12 09/16/09 14:09

Cyberpawz

Hello all, my first post, and I want to state that I have a sticky mouse syndrome as well.

I have an Intel iMac, 24 Inch Early 2008 edition running 10.6. The game starts up, just doesn't do the splash screen... plays well, but the mouse sticks at bad times, I thought it was because of the type of mouse it was, but I guess not.

I have the newest patch as well, any chance of knowing if this will be fixed in the future or at all, or are we waiting for the new engine to come about and fix the issue by not fixing it, but switching engines as a total?

Sorry to sound impatient, but it has been nearly 9 months since the last post, and no real update smile

Thanks.

#13 09/16/09 14:09

Dirk Gently
Website

date formatting is day/month/year. I thought the same thing when I joined smile

#14 09/16/09 15:09

Iritscen

Yes, we are very sophisticated and European here with our DD/MM/YY smile

I appreciate the info about the mouse still sticking under 10.6, it's what I would have expected, but good to have confirmation (not yet upgraded, myself).

I haven't looked into fixing the issue yet, because of certain issues behind the scenes, but suffice to say that one way or another it should definitely get fixed.  Some heads need to be put together before we know how, thus why it's hard for me to say anything now without sounding mysterious.

#15 09/16/09 17:09

Cyberpawz

Want me to "get" the heads together, I use to be a "knuckle cracker" over at a club wink

Honestly, thanks for the info and update... its nice knowing that the game hasn't been abandoned... I really liked this game, it was the first of its kind that had such character interaction, and battle engine...

Board footer