Re: Oni like games - who knows them?

FAKK2 is great!

PunBB bbcode test

#27 07/26/09 10:07

3llense'g

dream996 wrote:

FAKK2 is great!

Yeah, one of the rare games I did buy. I didn't play it for years, does it hold up?

You can call me 3llen. It's shorter and simpler. wink

#28 08/30/09 17:08

Pierre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAdi5a1u2i8

Not really the same as Oni but looks interesting in the girl-with-guns genre.

#29 08/30/09 18:08

Iritscen

Hmm, what was her name again?  I think I will call her Slowmo McJumpsalot.

As you said, it's not exactly an Oni 2.  I think I heard someone say "unlimited ammo".  Definitely aiming away from the direction of "realistic", but as long as the controls are good I bet a lot of people will enjoy it.

(If I might make a prediction, though, I think people might vaguely feel that something's missing from the combat after several hours of the above gameplay... I know you guys will get what I'm hinting at.)

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#30 08/30/09 18:08

Lithium

not close though, cuz oni focuses on hand to hand not weapons

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#31 12/10/09 01:12

GlenP

Iritscen wrote:

Lugaru & Overgrowth

FYI - downloadable demo (Mac/PC/linux)

http://www.wolfire.com/lugaru

Rabbit Ninja Combat, with hand-to-hand and weapons like a staff, knife, or sword, and lots more blood effects, but nice pastoral scenery.  Basic key/mouse controls are somewhat similar to Oni.

1.jpg

#32 12/10/09 22:12

Mukade

lolz, looks intense ^_^

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#33 12/11/09 00:12

Gumby

The thing I don't like about Lugaru is that there is really only one attack button, and what it does is different depending on a whole bunch of different things. So I never know what attack I'm going to use. sad

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#34 12/11/09 06:12

Shade

There is Naruto Rise of Ninja, It looks similar to Oni... But I don't know if anyone will play it since no one likes Naruto... Oh well. XD

#35 12/12/09 23:12

gorilla325

i like Lugaru.  creative. 
not on par with oni, but oni2 or future theoretic games similar to oni could draw many good ideas from lugaru series. 

how about One Must Fall: Battlegrounds?  my main gripe was that without lock on, you can't strafe.  with lock on, it's pretty much like any other fighting games, with camera behind your character.  it's a pure fighting game for PC though.  i don't remember there's an adventure mode...  i personallly can't get pass the metal sound effect...  lol 

mount and blades has a pretty good fighting system as well...plus multiplayer fighting add on is coming out.  the fight mechanics seemed rough on the edge at first, but the feeling of fighting was quite sensational.   

these days, developers only want to do beautiful animations instead of designing a system where players could really duke it out...  like assassin's creed series...  kind sad.

#36 01/01/10 15:01

levka1

There is MaxPayne 2 mod, i think called matrix mode that makes the game almost ultimate, first i didnt like about Oni is the rare use of guns, well now i am used to it i dont use guns and collect all the available clips. In Max Payne 2 you are using just guns not melee, but hell after This matrix mode the game become really fan (damn i found few videos and now i only want to install it and play smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHg14a9f … re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-H1yvNp … re=related
This mode actually completes the melee part, but hell it gets annoying after while.
I cant understand one thing why Big companies doesnt produce succesful games like NWN series, BG series, Oni2, max Payne 3 but work only on cod 7,nfs #25,harry potter series,  i mean why god Whyy no Oni2 sad(

#37 12/05/14 12:12

onimeleefan

Yes, I registered just to be able to post a reply to this topic ... smile

I'm surprised no one mentioned Bloodrayne 2 so far yikes It's a great game with a female character and almost entirely melee combat unless you like using guns. Similarities with Oni:

- Female kick ass (good) character
- A good plot (though not as good as Oni)
- A very good melee fighting system - variety of strikes, kicks, combos, great fatalities, etc.
- Can combine guns and melee attacks in a great way
- Your character gets new strikes, kicks and powers as the game progresses

Other benefits:
- The more creative kills you do the stronger your character becomes (more blood and rage)
- The more you are using your gun the more capacity it gets
- Good humor and funny situations

The only slight drawback compared to Oni is that it is a bit easier. Enemies are much more in numbers, however, it is easier to dispose of them except for the strong ones later in the game.

Some gameplay example: youtube.com/watch?v=nV_2CmtfVY0

As the name implies the game is ... bloody smile

I'd love to see a game like Oni or a true successor to Bloodrayne 2 (BloodRayne: The Third Reich does not count).

Last edited by onimeleefan (12/05/14 12:12)

#38 12/05/14 13:12

Iritscen

Welcome! Interesting you should mention BloodRayne 2. I wasn't aware of it until a short while ago when I started playing Aeon Flux for the PS2. Aeon Flux was developed by Terminal Reality right after they made BR2, using the same engine so that Aeon could also perform complex melee and gun combat moves: http://youtu.be/9WvcsRvbbtE?t=8m31s

#39 12/05/14 18:12

onimeleefan

Iritscen wrote:

Welcome! Interesting you should mention BloodRayne 2. I wasn't aware of it until a short while ago when I started playing Aeon Flux for the PS2. Aeon Flux was developed by Terminal Reality right after they made BR2, using the same engine so that Aeon could also perform complex melee and gun combat moves: youtu.be/9WvcsRvbbtE?t=8m31s

I've seen this game in the past but somehow it did not appealed to me. Plus I do not have a console so I play on Windows only.

Terminal Reality pretty much stopped PC development after BR2. And now I see they are out of he business so we may never see another BR. Too bad.

#40 12/05/14 19:12

Iritscen

Yeah, it's a shame, I was hoping to see another melee-oriented game running on that engine of theirs.

#41 04/14/15 15:04

Nobody

I see that this topic is rather old but I just can't help but notice the lack of Beyond Good & Evil (you can check it out on Wikipedia).

I can't say it's exactly "like" Oni, it is much more stealth oriented but still, I believe that someone who likes Oni will like BG&E.

#42 04/14/15 16:04

Iritscen

Yes, I think I didn't mention BG&E in my original reply because it's not action-oriented, but it's a good game regardless.  And welcome, by the way!

Incidentally, I finished playing Aeon Flux for the PS2, and gradually came to be amazed at just how intricate the melee is, and how it incorporates parkour.  I'm not aware of any games that can rival the depth of the combat, in fact.  Unfortunately, like Oni, there is no training area which you can visit at will to practice all your moves.  They give you a very cursory training during the first level and that's it, and there's not even diary pages explaining how to do the moves.  So you occasionally pull off amazing moves by accident, but most of the time you stick to the same handful of safe moves that you're comfortable doing.  And I think it would have benefited from PC controls, if it had been ported to the PC.

#43 04/25/15 13:04

Nobody

Has anyone mentioned The Witcher? It's an action-rpg.
The lead is male but well...
The RPG elements allow you to develop your character in different ways and the combat system is combo oriented.
There are no guns but you can use a number of magical signs and alchemical bombs and traps.
The plot is also great.

The Witcher 2 is less great... it's more of a slasher and has a bit of an issue with balance on higher difficulty.

#44 03/18/16 15:03

Iritscen

Currently I'm playing Death by Degrees, and it has very complex melee/gunplay/swordplay controls.  However, since it's an old PS2 game, it's not exactly accessible for the average gamer who wants to play something like Oni.  I decided to start a new topic for it like I did for the last Oni-like game I played, Aeon Flux, but I'm mentioning it here since this has become the "master list" for Oni-like games.  In fact, you know what?  Why don't I sticky this topic so it's always at the top of the subforum.  It's probably our most valuable "Anything but Oni" thread.

#45 06/03/16 11:06

tens

There were so many posts, Tl:dr, so I'm just add this since it's somewhat rare for people to like this game right off the bat anyway.

Dark Souls(1,2,3)
i8WDecu.png?1

It features intense combat and a campaign like Oni's. Of course, Oni was very story driven whereas this game allows the player themselves to explore the world at their leisure, never mind the hordes of enemies you'll eventually learn to overcome, all the while taking grasp of a unique you in this world of weapons, invulnerable rolls, back stabs and ripostes. I am a big fan, no doubt, but that doesn't cloud my judgement when I say this game will possibly fill a tiny bit of that hole of not having Oni 2 to play.

Overall. It does not feature the exact same style of fighting Oni did, nor does it give you guns, but rather sets you in a medieval universe, lacking any real technology such as guns, leaving you with a plethora of bladed weapons with which you can combat and take to Online PVP.

If this isn't your piece of cake due to the lack of guns, the same developers have released BloodBorne
TyKalVt.jpg

Though, the guns have been placed in this game purely as an instrument of hindering opponents and at times with careful timing, allowing you to ripost-visceral attack them for tremendous damage. I have not played BloodBorne for it is a Playstation 4 exclusive. But it is a fun game if my friends opinions are to be counted on. A faster pace on the PVP will leave you with the feeling of the hunt progressively building in your veins as you plummet deeper into slaying the beasts in it.

Tell me what you guys think, appropriate? No?

What does it matter? Even if the odds are against me, I'll do it, it doesn't matter.

#46 06/10/16 14:06

ViciousReilly

Hey all,

Just came across this, if you like the theme and style of Oni you may want to check out the new online Ghost in the Shell video game. I am looking forward to it myself! You have to pay to get access for now, but will be free to play later.

http://firstassault.nexon.net/en

FluxBB bbcode test

FluxBB bbcode test

Game play video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgceix4UPdk

-VR

#47 06/10/16 17:06

Iritscen

Hey VR, how are things?  I've had my eye on this game for a while, though surprisingly it seems that it's never been talked about on the forum before.  Of course, it's a shooter, so no gameplay similarities, but anything in the Ghost in the Shell universe is worth mentioning.

#48 06/10/16 18:06

TOCS

I'm not into weeb stuff so I don't know the GotS universe, however, I did play First Assault. It's a mediocre shooter at best. It's like every other free-to-play lobby-based Korean grind shooter out there, except it's within the GotS universe. I didn't play it much. It wasn't interesting at all.

#49 06/11/16 07:06

ViciousReilly

Iritscen wrote:

Hey VR, how are things?  I've had my eye on this game for a while, though surprisingly it seems that it's never been talked about on the forum before.  Of course, it's a shooter, so no gameplay similarities, but anything in the Ghost in the Shell universe is worth mentioning.

Hey Iritscen,

Doing well thanks, glad to see this forum still alive and kicking. Looking forward to more awesome AE updates! Need to get on that Oni 2 development soon tongue.

-VR

#50 06/11/16 08:06

Iritscen

All that I'm working on these days is MP (and slowly, because of my work schedule), but feel free to drop me a line or sign into YIM if you want to touch base on any other projects.

Board footer