Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#76 05/20/07 18:05

Tracker

Re: Movies

I often play Oni on time and record it with Taksi and Audacity.
My goal is to play all 14 Oni chapters including cutscenes in 2 hours.
Meanwhile, my personal record is 2:05 [h:mm] and I try to get better.

I'm very much impressed from ZDLO's fight technique and tricks.:)
Unfortunately, I am a better runner than a fighter.^^

Geysers cool movies showed me new ways to improve my times.
With his way of "Storming the Rooftops" I was able to play the chapter rooftops in 4:52 [h:mm] including cutscenes.
Very good work Geyser.:)

Here is a small movie, I recorded at the beginning of chapter 12:
oot_12a.wmv
It's a way to run to Kerr without meeting opponents.

Last edited by Tracker (05/20/07 18:05)

ONI is the best game in the universe!

#77 05/20/07 21:05

EdT
Website

Tracker: Great movie.  You should post it to the Oni YouTube group:
http://www.youtube.com/groups_videos?name=onitoo

Keep posting your movies.

#78 05/21/07 05:05

geyser
Website

Nice one. At the start of SP2, you can jump down without hurting yourself if you use the "furniture" on the far left side.
Without weapons, the quickest way to defeat Mukade is to corner him as he's about to teleport and do lots of Lariats.

Last edited by geyser (05/21/07 05:05)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#79 05/21/07 16:05

Tracker

@EdT: I am glad, if you like it. smile
I've recorded all chapters of Oni in 14 wmv-files (172 MB).
Far too greatly to upload and still not good enough to show it.
I also don't know, what I would have to upload at YouTube (wmv-files or another file format?)

@Geyser: Thank you for the good tip with the "furniture". smile
I have recorded a new version to provide Mai from damage:
oot_12a.wmv

Last edited by Tracker (05/22/07 03:05)

ONI is the best game in the universe!

#80 05/22/07 04:05

geyser
Website

I upload 320x240 WMV files onto YT, although they recommend MPEG-4.
They get stretched a little bit to fit the target format (I hate that), but it's OK.

As for the size of the movies, I don't know how much space is taken up by sound.
The sound track of your videos is obviously not as interesting as the video track.
I mean, we all know how footsteps sound like. So they're superfluous IMO.
That's why I'm quite happy with recording without sound and adding music.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#81 05/23/07 13:05

geyser
Website

For Cowboy Bebop fans as well as for those who don't know what CB is...
THIS is the best AMV I've ever seen (all categories). Hope you like it.
The music is an utterly absurd song for kids, covered by Relient K, a Christian rock band.

#82 05/23/07 22:05

Loser

Song is as silly/easygoing as Spike is. ^_^ I am CB fan, not rock-hard but I am. Apart from mainstream this anime is funny but has quite strong realistic feel (who will pay repairs after something was destroyed, how to get some food, money and more).
Thank you, geyser

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#83 05/27/07 10:05

EdT
Website

Chaingun fun:

http://edt.oni2.net/mov/chaingun.wmv

YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06itxqn-aKo
Just playing with Loser's new chaingun, found in the nikanabo patch.

Last edited by EdT (05/27/07 10:05)

#84 05/27/07 12:05

geyser
Website

There's a "secret" to that gun (actually a bug) that allows you to get unlimited ammo without the superammo cheat.
I thought about limiting the firing to short bursts, so that it behaves like a shotgun, but that'd need more hacking.

#85 05/27/07 13:05

Loser

EdT, you ...... HOOLIGAN !!!!!!! ^_^

I know about that bug. It is weird, but when you set more than I think 200 ammo in one magazine, whole thing gets corrupted and it is unlimited. Solution is simple-> less ammo in a magazine + "cheaper" shots.
Limiting it to short bursts would be great idea. That gun is terribly overpowered since it was originally meant just as a joke. So some tweaking is really needed in order to balance gameplay. Personally, I would give it scram cannon weapon image and only 5 shots per magazine +  decent "after shot" delay. That would done it IMO.

#86 05/27/07 13:05

EdT
Website

I'm not sure how I got the unlimited ammo.  Sometimes, it works as normal as the first part of the movie shows.   When the ammo runs out, you have to stop and reload.  But when I went to the other side of the building, somehow the unlimited ammo kicked in.

Anyways, its fun to play with.  Can you imagine playing with superammo along with glassworld?  Total havoc!

#87 05/28/07 22:05

EdT
Website

Thanks to Loser, Konoko now has a friend:

http://edt.oni2.net/mov/ally.wmv

YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BysMcC14xqY

Last edited by EdT (05/28/07 22:05)

#88 05/29/07 02:05

Mango

Nice movie. Also I like how you replaced some of the ads with iOni.

Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!!

oniuserbaren4.png

#89 05/29/07 11:05

geyser
Website

@ Konoko's friend: that NEUT profile is a must-have permanent addition to the level0 binaries.
We might be able to swtich neutral behaviours around at runtime with future Daodan versions.

@ chaingun: IMO, the bug is due to how the modification specifies several particles (bullets) to be fired simultaneously by the "fire1" keypress event.
Continuous fire probably fires all the "fire1" particles once if there is any ammo at all, and then stops firing (possibly at half-burst) when out of ammo.
However, if there are fewer shots left than a single burst, then the initial burst can decrement the ammo past zero, hence the large positive ammo.
In other words, if you stop shooting shortly before running out of ammo, then shoot again, your ammo will become "very positive" (not infinite).
The solution to this is to not have several bullet emitters set off by "fire1". I see different solutions depending on chaingun/shotgun choice.
For the shotgun, I'd set up a grouped emitter (à la Scram Cannon). For the chaingun, I'd do the same, or I'd stick with a sped-up Black Adder.
Both would have a long delay-after, and the chaingun would have a long delay-before à la WMC (i.e., it winds up before it can fire)
There's a problem with the gunshot sounds: they're meant for continuous firing, and so may not be fit for a shotgun with a big delay-after.
And of course there is a problem with combining the chaingun and shotgun into one. One uses continues firing, the other does not.
The chaingun is unfair to the AI as long as you're the one who carries it, but if it changes hands, it's not easy to deal with...
That means, if it's made unholsterable, and there are AI ambushing you and knocking you down, the chaingun is OK smile

Anyway, I meant the chaingun as one of the super-duper weapons. ATM it's just as unfair as the WMC Lite (the holsterable one smile ).

#90 05/30/07 14:05

Loser

This is anime !!!

Last edited by Loser (05/30/07 14:05)

#91 05/30/07 14:05

geyser
Website

Oops, I replied too fast...
Hacked knockdown TRAM?
Or emulated fistsoflegend?

Last edited by geyser (05/30/07 14:05)

#92 05/30/07 21:05

EdT
Website

Just a short movie showing off the TXMP replacer.
I replaced 64x64 with 256x256 jpg images:
http://edt.oni2.net/mov/txmp.wmv

Loser: more fun stuff to add to nikanabo!

#93 05/30/07 22:05

Mango

Interesting EdT... Maybe there should be a project to replace all the textures in Oni with higher-res ones. They did this with Marathon, but on the other hand, Marathon needed it.

oniuserbaren4.png

#94 05/31/07 08:05

geyser
Website

@ EdT: this is typically a modification I'd showcase with screenshots rather than movies...

The last release of OUP (featured on this forum) allows one to import textures rather painlessly. It covers (hopefully; testing welcome) all of Oni's texture formats.
Character textures are not easy to redesign because of the angular, low-poly meshes. Environment, on the other hand, is easier: mostly flat surfaces there.
If you're serious about it, you'll probably want to not only replace TXMP files, but also modify the way they're mapped onto the environment mesh.
I do want to upgrade Oni's environment a bit, but I have no plans of reauthoring the textures all by myself, so most of it wouldn't be TXMP replacing.

Loser: more fun stuff to add to nikanabo!

If you add that permanently, it will not be fun...

Last edited by geyser (05/31/07 09:05)

#95 05/31/07 18:05

EdT
Website

geyser: The reason why I did a movie and not a screenshot was to show how well the enhanced textures looked while moving around.  Further if it was just a screenshot, someone might say that was done in Photoshop and not in-game! :-)

mango: If you want to start enhancing the textures, you can OniTools to export the textures, not sure if it will allow you to import larger images, but it may be worth a try.  Of course OUP is the best way to do it.

#96 06/02/07 19:06

geyser
Website

Serious Konoko - Episode 4 is here. Nothing special about it.
Just some baka music (what's the English word again? smile )
WMV version: http://geyser.oni2.net/video/SK04-HappyEaster.wmv

Last edited by geyser (06/02/07 19:06)

#97 06/03/07 03:06

Mango

is that movie just the level like in that... other thread?

Last edited by Mango (06/03/07 03:06)

oniuserbaren4.png

#98 06/03/07 08:06

geyser
Website

It's shorter and more entertaining because of the music, mainly.
I don't really like time or damage challenge videos (long, boring).
But Tyr's "how-to" inspired me to cover the Easter egg, at least.
I also show a quick way towards the first console (no damage).
I perfect the two enemies (thug & striker) rather efficiently, too.

Last edited by geyser (06/04/07 12:06)

#99 06/03/07 09:06

geyser
Website

Bump! Live video of Pete Stacker (Voice of Griffin) on YouTube

Last edited by geyser (06/03/07 09:06)

#100 06/03/07 23:06

Dr.Genya

Board footer