Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 07/22/09 14:07

Ire Yosuke
Website

Re: Retexturing Project

Ok, so is there any dae software that can be learned without years of treaning ?

"There are two things that cannot be ignored in life. One is a cannon, the other, a cannon ball." - Commander Patrick "Bombard" Bomba

#27 07/22/09 15:07

Iritscen

No.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#28 07/22/09 15:07

EdT
Website

A free program that works with dae is: http://www.softimage.com/products/modtool/
Some have learned the basics within a short time.  Especially, when working with models from Oni.

#29 07/22/09 16:07

Gumby

Iritscen wrote:

No.

Don't be so pessimistic. Given the time and someone to teach you, its not hard to learn the basic skills of anything in a reasonably short time. Remember, a year and a half ago, I hardly knew anything about anything. Of course, I still don't know much about modeling\animation, but that's because I'm not as interested\motivated, and it is harder to find tutorials for it that I like. (Video tutorials annoy me).

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#30 07/22/09 16:07

Iritscen

I was kind of kidding.  But I knew that Ire was exaggerating when he said "years", and since it sounded like he didn't want to have to deal with a learning curve, I decided to exaggerate in my reply just to tease him :0)

Simply put, all 3D programs have an unavoidable learning curve.  If you were to find one that was as easy to learn as, say, a web browser, or most other kinds of apps, it would be a kid's toy with little usefulness.  Just pick one that is free (like Mod Tool or Blender) and make sure it has good documentation, then start learning, no matter how long it takes!

(Hmm, I should finish that Blender tutorial on the wiki some day :-\  And I hoped someone would write one for Mod Tool, in the same style.)

#31 07/22/09 16:07

Gumby

Actually, Google Sketchup can export to dae, and is pretty easy to use. I've never used it for character modeling and I know it isn't usable for animations (it doesn't support bone based anims)...so go with XSI.

#32 07/22/09 16:07

EdT
Website

Actually, you need Sketchup Pro to export to dae and it doesn't import dae.
http://sketchup.google.com/product/features.html

#33 07/22/09 16:07

Ire Yosuke
Website

Ok, so what would open Oni models and enable me to work with them.
yes I know everything has a learning curve. *sight* But i'm willing to do it since there are no model artists here o.o

"There are two things that cannot be ignored in life. One is a cannon, the other, a cannon ball." - Commander Patrick "Bombard" Bomba

#34 07/22/09 16:07

Gumby

True, but I think you can export to kmz, for google earth, which contains a dae inside. Its been a while since I used Sketchup, so I can't quite recall if you can do that in the normal version.

#35 07/23/09 04:07

Chamyky
Website

I think Sketchup is definitely NOT the right tool to create characters. It is meant to design buildings and is really good at that (Oni levels anyone?) but it doesn't suit at all the requirements for character model creation. Unless Konoko reveals herself as being a Transformer. A really blocky Transformer.

#36 07/23/09 05:07

3llense'g

Chamyky wrote:

I think Sketchup is definitely NOT the right tool to create characters. It is meant to design buildings and is really good at that (Oni levels anyone?) but it doesn't suit at all the requirements for character model creation. Unless Konoko reveals herself as being a Transformer. A really blocky Transformer.

Ko-no-ko... building in disguise! tongue

You can call me 3llen. It's shorter and simpler. wink

#37 07/23/09 07:07

Iritscen

I thought the same thing, Chamyky, but I wasn't sure.  My impression was that SketchUp was for architectural modeling.

#38 07/23/09 10:07

Gumby

No, I've seen it used for character modeling, too. Still, go with XSI.

#39 07/23/09 10:07

Chamyky
Website

That sounds really strange. Sketchup is all about extruding planar surfaces… it would take a lot of time to make a satisfying-looking character, and this one wouldn't comport any organic-looking parts. Moreover making a real hierarchy (which is, I believe, required for animation) is not really possible.
Still, you sound pretty sure of yourself… can you link me to examples online? That's interesting.

#40 07/25/09 00:07

EdT
Website

I found a couple of sites that offers free textures.
http://www.cgtextures.com/
http://www.mayang.com/textures/

Maybe there is something we can use for Oni.

#41 08/04/09 09:08

dream996

i really wanna retexturing everyone in oni but.... all i can do is to retexturing it not importing them in oni and its just a bit hard for me ...... by the way Severed all of them is great but i got a feeling that konoko's nose is a bit weird.......but other than that is lovely ...i wonder how long have you been doing this =]

Last edited by dream996 (08/04/09 09:08)

PunBB bbcode test

#42 08/04/09 09:08

TOCS

dream996 wrote:

i really wanna retexturing everyone in oni but.... all i can do is to retexturing it not puting them in oni and modding and changing and stuff.....its just a bit hard for me ...... by the way Severed all of them is great but i got a feeling that konoko's nose is a bit wired.......but other than that is lovely ...i wonder how long have you been doing this =]

Not to be rude or anything, but I hardly understand what you're saying..
So, what you're saying is, you know how to do the retexturing thing, but you can't import it to the game itself?

#43 08/04/09 09:08

dream996

im sorry i was just typing w/o thinking ( which i always does ) i knw my eng isn't that good but try to bear with me  hmm

PunBB bbcode test

#44 08/04/09 10:08

EdT
Website

dream996:  Do you have some examples of your retexturing? Can you post some of the textures?

#45 08/05/09 12:08

bobbysoon

DAE? That includes vertex weights and texture coordinates? I can detail models. I use 3ds. I've been using the Halo Editing Kit for the last couple years. Certainly not a formal education, but enough that I've been able to clean up models, and STL-proof them for collision. I can make a pretty mesh, and unwrap texture coordinates, and weigh vertices. I can animate too, using IKs and constraints. Gimmie a file and a couple days, try me out

Last edited by bobbysoon (08/05/09 14:08)

#46 08/05/09 13:08

Gumby

Well, we don't need weighting. Oni uses a bone heirarchy for animations. Pick a character and I'll get you the file wink If you can animate, even better. big_smile We have a fresh new animation importer that nobody has been able to try out.

#47 08/05/09 14:08

bobbysoon

How about the character in Konoko's first encounter, with the green goggles, cheap white air filter mask thing, hat, and blue uniform with yellow stripes? Whichever you like. I'm just thinking saving Konoko for last would make her best in quality.
Maybe we should take this to PMs until I prove myself new-thread worthy?

Last edited by bobbysoon (08/05/09 14:08)

#48 08/05/09 16:08

Gumby

Hmm...how about the striker? The thug isn't as important, but I can supply him if need be, Which pose would you prefer him in?

Also, do you have a portfolio?

#49 08/06/09 11:08

bobbysoon

No portfolio, I'm not that organized. Just posts in halo related forums and uploads to filefront and youtube, mostly halo-technical rather than modelling related. But I can model, meticulously. I can also create maxscripts which further help in modelling.
Striker==same difference to me, and un-posed would probably be easiest to work with for both of us, I'm assuming, if it works like that.
I'm still trying to work out an import/export solution for the DAE filetype for 3ds, trying ColladaMax now. 3ds's default DAE plugin didn't load texture coordinates. If all else fails, I can cannibalize some halo maxscripts to work with collada(dae)

[edit] Ok, closest I got to a portfolio, here's what I was most recently working on, modelling-wise. I was animating Master Sonic, a Sonic/Master Chief hybrid. I was compelled to improve upon the poor quality model I was given to work with. Little did I know, that model was to be part of another's portfolio, and it supposedly matched the environment it was to be in. It's a sad story. But in those pics, I provided the straight lines and details to master sonic. The other pics were for tutoring purposes about level creation.

Last edited by bobbysoon (08/06/09 12:08)

#50 08/06/09 12:08

Iritscen

Heh, "portfolio".  We're not hiring here, Gumby.  Anyway, I'd like to talk about this subject too, but let's take it to a new thread; whoever wants to say something next can make the topic.

Board footer