Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 01/31/08 13:01

Gumby

Re: Improving Oni's TXMPs

I have nhancer on my computer, I'll see if it will let me...

---

EDIT:

Lol, I just managed to corrupt the nHancer profiles...don't ask how...it was doing something stupid...

I THINK using nHancer and enabling stuff makes it look nicer tongue Unfortunately, when I was enabling things, I enabled too much, and now there is a slight fps lag going on...50 frames on 20 frames off tongue And because I messed it up, it is stuck in this mode until I figure out how to fix nHancer (uninstalling didnt fix it...)

Would anyone like to test using nHancer (if you have an NVIDIA card), the easiest test would be to replace the texture on a big long wall with the texture I posted before, and note the difference before and after adding settings...

EDIT2: nHancer wins, I'll post a comparison vid in a second

Last edited by Gumby (01/31/08 18:01)

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#27 01/31/08 19:01

Gumby

http://gumby.oni2.net/Videos/AA.wmv

Woohoo for nHancer! ...though you might be able to do this with default Forceware drivers too...but nHancer is better tongue

For you ATI people out there, I have no help.

#28 02/01/08 06:02

geyser
Website

"http://gumby.oni2.net/Videos/AA.wmv" Don't you mean AF?

"For you ATI people out there, I have no help." I have a FireGL card for which I can specify every possible shiz app-by-app. I hardly ever use that control panel, but it's there.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#29 02/01/08 09:02

Iritscen

I guess he's referring to Anti-Aliasing.

If only we could ensure that everyone could turn an option like that on, we would have an easier job of improving textures.  I don't know about PC users, but I don't think any Mac users can micro-adjust their cards though (or even macro-adjust).  We don't even know what cards we have in our computers, that's how unimportant it is to us.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#30 02/01/08 18:02

Gumby

I meant AF yes tongue But AA helps too tongue

Pretty much all recent (for a while now) cards by major manufacturers have these kinds of menus, and if not, there is probably an app like nHancer to enable it. Unless you have a built in card, then the fun begins, and you have to see who made it tongue

Iritscen: Could you tell me who made the chipset for your vid card? ...If not, then the model number of your computer?

Last edited by Gumby (02/01/08 18:02)

#31 02/04/08 09:02

Iritscen

Based on some Googling, I might have an ATI Radeon X1600, but I will have to check it tonight to verify.  But I get the feeling there are little to no tools/utilities for adjusting Mac graphics cards.

Edit: Just in case anyone's wondering whether I am still trying to improve the TXMPs, I started an interesting project/experiment this weekend with a certain category of TXMPs that could really use improvement.  I didn't get much done, what with the Superbowl and everything (for those who don't understand because they don't live in the States, nothing gets done on Superbowl Sunday except watching the Game).  I can't say anymore until (or "unless") I am happy with the results, but hopefully this will work out and get people interested in upscaling other TXMPs.  At least I confirmed that I can reimport TXMPs into Oni.  Even though I've seen other do it already, it's really cool to see your own work in the game.

Last edited by Iritscen (02/04/08 09:02)

#32 02/04/08 20:02

Gumby

Q4: Will the ATI Catalyst™ Control Center be supported on Linux or Mac platforms?

A4: ATI is actively investigating supporting the ATI Catalyst™ Control Center on Linux and Mac platforms. There are some technical challenges that we are addressing to accelerate this process.

sad

---

http://aarongyes.com/stuff/atidisplays might work...

Last edited by Gumby (02/04/08 20:02)

#33 02/05/08 09:02

Iritscen

Hmm, I don't know if that works for a Mac laptop, but I can give it a try.

There are some technical challenges

In other words, the "technical challenge" is that they don't technically care about Mac/Linux users since we're only a combined 10% of the market.  You can see why we get hosed in the gaming side of things in Mac Land.

#34 04/21/08 01:04

Gumby

Hey everybody. I'm starting work on console displays.

#35 04/21/08 08:04

Iritscen

Thanks!  I dabbled in some vector art tracework of the old console images and the results were a lot sharper, but I never really got much done.  Is that how you're doing your work?  Also see my question in your thread about the console images' resolution.

#36 04/21/08 20:04

Gumby

Hah. No. MSPaint ftw. I tried vector artwork, but I couldnt find a good program. Any suggestions?

#37 04/22/08 08:04

Iritscen

Inkscape, dude.  Seriously, it's a great program, I prefer it to professional apps like Illustrator, and it's only 0% of the cost.  http://www.inkscape.org/download/?lang=en

#38 07/27/08 18:07

StevieC

I know this thread is old but I thought I'd bump it to check if anyone has made any progress? I'd like to be able to upgrade some of the textures, ESPECIALLY floors, walls, clothing and faces. Also, anyone willing to show me how to adjust the shininess of various parts of a texture would be greatly appreciated.

#39 07/27/08 19:07

EdT
Website

StevieC: We would welcome your help in improving the textures.  Have you installed the Anniversary Edition? It will be much easier to export and import the textures.  The shininess is determined by the alpha channel.

I'm in the progress of making a GUI that will make it easier to export and import into Oni.
You can see what I'm developing: http://wiki.oni2.net/AE_talk:Anniversary_Edition_Tools
Its working, though it still needs some more features.

#40 07/27/08 20:07

Iritscen

The answer to the question of progress is, "No, not really."  But not for lack of technical ability.  More the lack of time.  I was planning to revisit this project after the Edition came out because another project offered itself up and I couldn't say No.  Any other potential volunteers for TXMP Upscaling also had their own projects already.  But getting back to the topic at hand, we'd welcome your contributions.

If it helps at all, I uploaded all the TXMPs from the game to here: http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff17 … 20Project/.  Not all of the images are categorized correctly or at all, but I'm all ears if you know where something should go.

The idea behind this album was that if multiple people were working on upgrading the TXMPs, confusion and duplicated work could result; this way, if someone upscales a TXMP, they would upload it to the album (I'll have to set it up as a group album when we come to that point) and we could all see that image had been upscaled.  If you think this makes sense, my suggestion would be to title the images you scale [original name]-new[.whatever].  I don't care what format is used when uploading to the album, the point is just to show that the image has a new version that will show up beside the original alphabetically.  E.g., next to TXMPHQ_COLUMN_PINS.png we'd see TXMPHQ_COLUMN_PINS-new.png.  Of course, the actual files that you would use to mod Oni would have the same names as the originals, the "-new" convention would only be used in the album to avoid duplicated names.  Hope that doesn't sound too complicated.

#41 02/16/09 20:02

Charles

Iritscen wrote:

The engine limit is 256x256, although we have now patched Oni to allow 512-pixel (Windows) and 1024-pixel (Mac) textures.  That being said, we haven't actually created any HD textures yet to take advantage of this patch.

Really! I'll make some. I'm not yet familiar with what kind of files you need, but I can certainly work on taking existing textures and redrawing them.

One question, why were you able to get a higher pixel count on the Mac textures but not the Windows? It's cool, though. I've got a Mac. smile

Last edited by Charles (02/16/09 20:02)

#42 02/16/09 20:02

Gumby

Charles wrote:
Iritscen wrote:

The engine limit is 256x256, although we have now patched Oni to allow 512-pixel (Windows) and 1024-pixel (Mac) textures.  That being said, we haven't actually created any HD textures yet to take advantage of this patch.

Really! I'll make some. I'm not yet familiar with what kind of files you need, but I can certainly work on taking existing textures and redrawing them.

One question, why were you able to get a higher pixel count on the Mac textures but not the Windows. It's cool, though. I've got a Mac. smile

Please, limit your textures to 512x512. That is MORE than you should need. smile
TGA files are the best to work with, they allow for transparency and all that. Also, textures need to be multiples of 2. Meaning 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256, or 512 on each side.

#43 02/16/09 20:02

Charles

Gumby wrote:

Please, limit your textures to 512x512. That is MORE than you should need. smile
TGA files are the best to work with, they allow for transparency and all that. Also, textures need to be multiples of 2. Meaning 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256, or 512 on each side.

You're sure? I just looked at the hi-res texture pack for Marathon and they're 1024x1024 in millions of colors. It would be more work, but it's always easier to scale down than up.

Then again, Oni isn't really a texture-focused game. In Marathon you're often walking straight up to walls as close as you can, but Oni's more about space and structure. I don't recall any particularly feature-intensive surfaces in the game at all, off the top of my head.

Last edited by Charles (02/16/09 21:02)

#44 02/16/09 21:02

Iritscen

Exactly, you won't see most textures as closely as in an FPS like Marathon; and also, Oni purposely has simpler textures for stylistic reasons.  That being said, it might not be more work to draw a texture at 1024px than 512px, and as you say, scaling down is greatly preferable to scaling up.  So whatever works for you.

In fact, some textures actually look quite nice in-game already.  Take a look at the signs in the training level, which are 256px wide (like this one).  The 64px textures are the worst offenders, and sadly many of the effects that show up all the time fall under this category.  And some textures are dither-y.  I'm not sure if there's a bit depth limitation to some TXMP formats, though, that's something I need a refresher on.

Anyway, we've wanted to do HD textures for a while, so I'd love to see some samples of what you could do!

#45 02/16/09 22:02

Gumby

32 Bit without transparency, 24 with 8 bit transparency, and there might be a funky format in between. smile

#46 02/18/09 11:02

Charles

This is great. I looked through your Photobucket album and started on a couple pictures, mainly doors. Many have fine shadow and dirt effects that I always thought looked out of place in-game. The walls surrounding their edges looked simple and clean by comparison, but then the door texture had blurred dirt.

I will have to go back to the game and look for those textures to see how I might make them look different in context. In the end, I could try to minimize the effects and make things cleaner and simpler, or try to recreate them in higher resolution. The latter will take more time and I'll have to learn a few things about how to actually do it, but it might be worth it.

Last edited by Charles (02/18/09 12:02)

#47 07/08/09 17:07

HellFier

http://darkfate.ru/?show=files/fan-miss … er_v21.exe - Its very simple & useful tool, that allows you to convert .dds in to many other graphic files like .psd, .bmp, .jpeg, and back to .dds (converting including alpha channel in .psd - perhaps in other formats too, Im using .psd)

Last edited by HellFier (07/08/09 17:07)

#48 07/08/09 18:07

Gumby

I personally use a TGA plugin for photoshop.

Board footer