Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#76 07/02/09 23:07

NMS
Website

Re: Oni on time

Well, not consistently. But I found that if I sprint from the doorway towards the section of railing that runs towards the machine and jump flip onto it, then I'm moving fast enough when I reach the corner of the railing.

Still trying to get the jump on level 9. I can get Konoko's feet roughly level with the top of the balcony railing, but the rest of her is lower, so I crash into it and fall back down. Do you remember how you did it? Which way you were facing when you jumped or when you flipped over?

#77 07/03/09 01:07

Gumby

You can start from the railing. It only takes a foot or so to get to "full speed". Lol.

I don't know. I flipped and i was randomly over the rail. I think it is like the TCTF II jump.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#78 07/03/09 01:07

NMS
Website

Yes, but I don't think "full speed" is constant. It seems to vary as the run animation plays. So where on the railing you start from determines how fast you jump, which determines whether or not you can make it.

#79 07/03/09 01:07

Gumby

Yep. The fastest speed is right after a foot touches down, IIRC. I'll look it up again in the data sometime.

#80 07/03/09 01:07

NMS
Website

That would be useful. I've been trying to figure out the best ways to time long jumps on a case-by-case basis. The last jump on rooftops was particularly tough. And a trick I have planned for Atmosphere Processor exterior is even tougher.

It's getting kind of late here. I'm not sure where you are, but I'll check back tomorrow.

Last edited by NMS (07/03/09 01:07)

#81 07/03/09 01:07

Gumby

I'm near Seattle, Washington. smile

The problem with timing the jumps is that there is a 50% chance you will start off on the wrong foot. tongue

EDIT: The fastest frames are:

Frame 3, left 1.62673187
Frame 3, right 1.59343338
Frame 2, right 1.57554245
Frame 2, left 1.56387711

Use chr_debug_animations and single_step = 1 to figure out where exactly that is.

#82 07/03/09 23:07

NMS
Website

I'm near Boston, Mass. So hello from Independence Day.

Actually, Konoko always starts with the right foot. Is frame 1 when the foot comes down? chr_debug_animations doesn't work for me (Mac version). single_step = 1 does, but then all the controls stop working and I have to force quit.

Anyway, it's not so important now. I found a way to make the jump with a reasonable chance of success. Then I found an alternate route that skips it entirely. I need to test which one is faster.

#83 07/04/09 01:07

Gumby

Are you using the OMNI port or EdT's mod of it? EdT's mod of it has some debugging functions replaced by useful scripting functions.

With single_step = 1, you have to tap , or . (can't remember which) to advance the frame by one. To stop it, you have to either tap ~ and the step key, or figure out which key starts\stops single step (I forgot which either , or ., possibly /) to stop it.

If you could explain how you made the jump, that'd be great.

#84 07/04/09 01:07

NMS
Website

I'm definitely using a modified version. The original port won't launch on Intel Macs. In fact, I tried with 2 different versions, though I'm not totally sure if either is the newest. I guess I just couldn't find the right keys to use single step, but I'm not sure it would help all that much.

As for the jump, I can show you: http://www.filefront.com/13963809/jump-demo.mp4

It turns out to be faster to skip the second elevator by falling down to a conduit as I showed in the pictures on the last page, so this trick probably won't be in the run. Oh well.

#85 07/04/09 12:07

Gumby

Oh, I was talking about the State Building Jump. That jump is pretty sneaky too, though.

#86 07/04/09 14:07

NMS
Website

Oh. Still haven't gotten that one, unfortunately. Going to keep working on Atmosphere Processor because the time I think I can shave off my current run exceeds the total length of my State Building run.

By the way, are you watching the game? 2-2 going to the 9th. Go Sox! tongue

#87 07/04/09 14:07

Gumby

D; I missed it.

*goes to espn*

Wow, I missed a good one. We won though. >: D

#88 07/04/09 16:07

NMS
Website

mad Saito!!!!

#89 07/04/09 16:07

Lithium

theres a game on! damn no televisison!

Last edited by Lithium (07/04/09 16:07)

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#90 07/04/09 17:07

Gumby

oxe, you like baseball?

#91 07/04/09 17:07

Lithium

a little, but being a mexican i should like like futbol which is "soccer". But i prefer watching basketball, hence my "so how bout them lakers? " post.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#92 07/04/09 18:07

Gumby

I know what futbol\football is. tongue

#93 07/25/09 00:07

NMS
Website

I'm going away for a week, so I decided to upload my best runs for all the levels to YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p … 214BA4F748

They're not perfect, but I think they're pretty good. Enjoy, and post any suggestions for improvements.

#94 07/25/09 08:07

levka1

I commented on all your videos, i think , there are amazing i wrote notes there that can improve the time, not long enough, can you write chart that contains the details gameplay,shortcuts time, and also why in each level you just start the game then enter the options? thats takes you about 10 seconds in each level 140 seconds in all levels, means 2+ minutes of just entering the game, and thats more time then finishing 9 level like u did.

Board footer