Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/18/07 14:05

kenseius

Oni video issues... HELP!

Hey, I'm new here, so first off, "Hello!"

Alright, my problem is an extrodinarily slow frame rate for the game.

I have XP home edition, 1200 mhz processor, 604 MB of RAM and a Radeon 7000 video card. These should be plenty enough to get it to run (I thought), but it still crawls at an extrodinarily slow rate. I do have a dual-screen display, with the second screen using a rather antiquated video card, but the Radeon 7000 IS my primary card and is connected to the moniter which runs (so to speak) Oni. The opening videos run fine, but as soon as a I get to the menu, everything begins to crawl, and even scrolling the mouse is very choppy and delayed. Starting a new game is almost painfully slow, moving "an inch a minute." However, when Shinatara (sp?) speaks, her voice plays over just fine. Meanwhile, the camera still hasn't actually scrolled behind Oni yet... 

Also, I've tried downloading the XP patch, but clicking on it gives me an error message, so actually I'm not sure what to do with it... You download it, then unzip it, then... what, exactly? As I said, I only get an error message. I tried copying it over into the Oni folder, to replace the existing Oni.exe, but that doesn't really seem to have done anything. In fact, Windows seemed to have prevented it.

Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated... I've owned the game in the past, and loved it then, and (for nostolgic reasons maybe) I really have been itched to give it another go.

Thanks in advance!

-B.R.

#2 05/18/07 14:05

geyser
Website

Re: Oni video issues... HELP!

Hi. Her name is Konoko. Or Mai Hasegawa. Not Oni smile  The pink-haired one is Sninatama.

The so-called XP patch is supposed to replace your Oni.exe. The original Oni.exe normally isn't read-only, so I can't see why Windows can have prevented you from overwriting the old one (back it up, BTW).
Apart from limiting the GL extensions list (which is what the patch does), you may want to try running Oni with the -noswitch command line parameter, taking the resolution all the way down.

From there on, if it still lags like hell, you're in uncharted territory. Most people try to get driver updates from the site of their GFX card manufacturer and/or tweak the DirectX/GFX driver settings a bit.
It's known to have worked for some. Few come back to tell the tale, though (either something nasty happened to them or they're too happy to report). Anyway, it doesn't work "in principle".

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#3 05/18/07 14:05

kenseius

... yes. I should have known that about her name.... how embarrassing.

Thanks though, I'll try that.

#4 05/18/07 16:05

s10k
Website

Maybe this turorial help you:
http://script10000.oni2.net/patches.html

#5 05/21/07 08:05

geyser
Website

kenseius,

According to SFeLi, your GFX card doesn't seem to support hardware OpenGL at all.
On my previous laptop, I had to use the software OpenGL engine too. It was slow.
For one thing, it puts some heavy load on the main RAM and CPU of your machine.
For Half-Life I had a playable framerate, but Oni was a disaster. Same situation as you.
It all depends on how much RAM and CPU power you have, how much Oni uses for non-OpenGL stuff, and how much extra load the software OpenGL rendering represents.
There's not much for you to do except reduce the viewport to 640x480 (with -noswtitch) and crank down the quality settings.

Last edited by geyser (05/21/07 08:05)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#6 05/23/07 08:05

geyser
Website

kenseius (if you're still there), please download THIS, then extract and run glist.exe.
Tell us the values (yes/no) you see for GENERIC_FORMAT and GENERIC_ACCELERATED.

Last edited by geyser (05/23/07 08:05)

#7 01/28/10 04:01

gangsterpro

hi all hey i in my case it says NO in both so wat it means then and if no means bad then tell how to make it on

Board footer