Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 06/22/09 03:06

RossyMiles
Website

Oni Steam Group

I've been thinking of starting an Oni steam group for a while. Well, here it is big_smile

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/oniganbatte

If you have a steam account then please join, also invite your friends smile

#2 06/22/09 17:06

Alloc
Website

Re: Oni Steam Group

Hi Rossy,

Please don't be offended by this question ... but what is another communication platform good for? The only effect I could see is splitting the already quite small community into even smaller pieces.

Regards,
Chris

ONI2.net, link to just any important resource-pages about ONI.

#3 06/22/09 17:06

Gumby

Well if I ever get Flatline up and running (nothing stopping me but AE release and my lack of energy to do anything for anyone at the moment), it would be useful for seeing who is online and stuff. I already have several community members on Yahoo, but something like Steam is easier (except for Macs, who have to use Crossover or something). Adding yourself to a single group is much easier than adding a few dozen people on IM.

Basically: it is an IM client where you can join other people's games, not a forum.

(I apologize if I don't make sense, I can't think very well atm)

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#4 06/22/09 18:06

Alloc
Website

Hm, whatever you guys feel like doing ^^
(Btw, what about Linux? Or people who just think Steam is cr**? Doesn't even run on my windows machine cause of the whole graphics stuff they had to show off wink )

ONI2.net, link to just any important resource-pages about ONI.

#5 06/22/09 18:06

Gumby

Well, Oni isn't officially supported on Linux. wink Though as rossy knows, it works on WINE or something.
Really, idk. Don't ask me right now. smile

#6 06/22/09 18:06

Iritscen

Yeah, my first thought was, "Do we need another "base" to maintain?", because I am not familiar with Steam, but as I looked at the site it seemed like a simple way to arrange games that could be useful if Flatline started to come online.  Eventually I think we would have our own meta and it wouldn't even be necessary to use Steam, but this is not my area of expertise, so I'll leave that stuff to the Flatline devs.  Fwiw, I believe CrossOver is pretty dedicated to supporting Steam, so Mac users would be able to use this as well.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#7 06/23/09 05:06

RossyMiles
Website

Alloc wrote:

Hi Rossy,

Please don't be offended by this question ... but what is another communication platform good for? The only effect I could see is splitting the already quite small community into even smaller pieces.

Regards,
Chris

Well, theres a steam group for pretty much everything and I was a little surprised that an Oni group didn't exist so I decided to start one. I'm not sure whether it'll go well or not, that depends on how many Oni community members are also Steam users. As steam groups are a bit of a way of defining yourself on Steam (I'm a member of ~20 myself smile ) if anything, it should be a bit of publicity and might encourage past fans to reinstall Oni and check out our community.

Iritscen wrote:

Yeah, my first thought was, "Do we need another "base" to maintain?", because I am not familiar with Steam, but as I looked at the site it seemed like a simple way to arrange games that could be useful if Flatline started to come online.  Eventually I think we would have our own meta and it wouldn't even be necessary to use Steam, but this is not my area of expertise, so I'll leave that stuff to the Flatline devs.  Fwiw, I believe CrossOver is pretty dedicated to supporting Steam, so Mac users would be able to use this as well.

That would be great, however the Steam SDK is only given out to commercial developers and really popular source engine mods. It's unlikely that we will be able to use Steam for anything more than advertisement unless we get official support from Bungie (and the millions of other companies that seem to own rights for Oni.)

#8 06/23/09 09:06

Stevinlewis

ahhh steam community.... awsome... its a dream come true. What? No i dident mean that! sierous its a dream come true! i wanted to cr8 steam community tooo.

#9 06/23/09 10:06

Gumby

RossyMiles wrote:

That would be great, however the Steam SDK is only given out to commercial developers and really popular source engine mods. It's unlikely that we will be able to use Steam for anything more than advertisement unless we get official support from Bungie (and the millions of other companies that seem to own rights for Oni.)

I just mean seeing who was online using this and IMing them seeing if they wanted to join a server. smile

Board footer