Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#51 04/15/09 11:04

Iritscen

Re: New engine.

Harry wrote:

Great work on Wanted, Pierre. smile

Yeah, I saw dat sweet cover system, homey.  BAAAAM!

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#52 04/15/09 12:04

Gumby

Ai! I forgot to say that! Yes, congrats. smile

I saw an ad on Steam for it too. big_smile

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#53 04/16/09 01:04

Pierre

I'm not very happy with Wanted, for me it's a semi-failure. Anyway, off topic and I don't want to start a thread about this.

I was able to make it run on my laptop even tough it is at rock bottom of system requirements ( and my integrated video card is not really friend with games). It was laggy as heck, but was good enough for a glance at the game. Better than Watchmen:The end is Nigh, which completely refused to run.

Ok now I'm confused. Is the PC version out already?!?

I have read your ToDo list

Just to be sure we're on the same page, it's not the TODO list, it's the "DONE" list (and just since last release) smile   ..the TODO list is a zillion times bigger sad

Be sure to create check for AI whether it is too close to some wall to use this move (maybe give it some percentage chance to perform headbutt dash even if in danger zone?). Otherwise it looks really stupid, when Striker uses that move while standing literally with his nose inside the wall.

Yes, it's already done. If the Striker is too close to a wall the "head hit" animation is not played. This is implemented very simply by using "validity frames" in my animation system: the transition for the "head hit" anim is only valid after a certain frame of the dash anim has been passed. So if the hit happens too early (== if the Striker was too close to a wall), the animation is not played. Because, indeed, it looks stupid.

I don't know what exactly do you mean by that, but here are some tips:

I just meant using this animation when you shoot/hit somebody in the foot.

-  Create mirorred version (grabbing the other leg) as well. In Oni it looks weird when you kick clearly right leg and they still grab left ^_^

How do you create a mirrored version? smile Currently I only play it when the left foot is touched. A "right foot" version would be cool, yeah.

...hmmm I guess I could try hacking a mirrored version somehow... I'll put that on the list........ smile

- Set transitions so if character performs this hit response (or hit_jewels as well) and is hit again with attack which induces one of these stuns (foot_ouch or hit_jewels), this character is automatically knockdowned. Prevents unfair spam.

I have to check but I think it's already correctly setup.

Create location-based hit responses, so if you hit victim into head with low shin kick (tanker style, attacker has upper ground), vitim plays head_ouch hit instead of foot_ouch.

I think I already do that. The generic code takes the touched body part into account to come up with the proper hit animation. That's bypassed for special hit anims like hit_jewels though.

- Pierre

#54 04/16/09 02:04

Gumby

Todo vs done was a typo on my part.

#55 04/16/09 05:04

Iritscen

Pierre wrote:

If anything, it might give you a good idea of the amount of work needed to make "a small game". Doesn't matter what engine you use.

Who said anything about a small game?  I don't see any small games around here!  Even if KP had only one tiny level to play, the foundation you are building to recreate/improve upon Oni is massive.

#56 04/27/09 01:04

Pierre

Also: post download link.
EDIT: I mean release download link...

http://www.codercorner.com/KonokoPayne_ … l_2009.rar

#57 04/27/09 12:04

Loser

Pierre, for your inormation, KonokoPayne WIP April 2009 causes system failure on my laptop:

HP Compaq 6510b Notebook PC ; Product page
OS Windows XP Professional SP3
There was info about what I thought was "graphics card", but Gumby spoke. PART DELETED

Either it crashes to BSOD or it causes some .bin file malfunction and system hang. Happens when main chracter dies or resurrects, I personally think (no evidence) blur effect is the cause.

By this I am not saying "fix now". I just inform you, there might be bug somewhere.

Loser

Last edited by Loser (04/27/09 22:04)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#58 04/27/09 15:04

Gumby

Loser, thats not a graphics card. tongue

#59 04/28/09 01:04

Pierre

Wasn't it an Intel integrated graphics or something? Yeah that's a graphics card. But usually they're quite weak.

- was it BSODing before, or is it just with this release?
- you can try disabling "post processing effects" in the graphics options, and see if it helps...

#60 04/28/09 09:04

Gumby

It is a graphics chip. smile (I have much hate for Intel graphics. wink )

---

Pierre, I still get stuck on "Tribute to Nightshade". Even when I remembered how to do the nifty little trick with the locking and jump kicking. wink

Even though the antechamber doors say they need datapads you can unlock them anyways tongue

Barabas is impossible to beat with melee, I had to use a cheap tactic on him. hmm

The controls seem to be que-ed (however you spell it). If I press KKK really fast, I do a triple kick, no timing needed at all.

#61 05/26/09 05:05

onimotoko

I have looked at crystal, and I like it. Only prob is that there only appears to be a plug-in for blender. Well I don't friggin use blender, I'm a maya person.

By the way, what exactly IS konoko paine? I've played it before about a year ago, and it looked exactly like oni 'cept it had a weird cell-shaded look. Is it a new engine? or a modified version of another?

"I'll split your oni"

#62 05/26/09 06:05

Iritscen

It's a totally new engine that Pierre wrote from scratch.  Or, is writing.  He's gotten a lot done, but it's a work in progress.

#63 05/26/09 07:05

Pierre

Pierre, I still get stuck on "Tribute to Nightshade". Even when I remembered how to do the nifty little trick with the locking and jump kicking.

It should be possible to pass, unless a bug got introduced there.... I'll check ASAP

Even though the antechamber doors say they need datapads you can unlock them anyways

Good catch! That's a bug.

Barabas is impossible to beat with melee, I had to use a cheap tactic on him.

Barabas in hard mode is... well, hard, but very possible to beat. There's a trick though...

The controls seem to be que-ed (however you spell it). If I press KKK really fast, I do a triple kick, no timing needed at all.

Yes it's queued. I understand that old Oni fans don't like it...  maybe I'll change that...

...so many things to do sad

#64 05/26/09 07:05

Pierre

BTW did you try the "puppet master" thing? Cf readme. I don't know if I'll keep it, but it has a lot of puzzle / gameplay potential... maybe too much, I should focus on what's there already instead of introducing new things tongue

#65 05/26/09 08:05

Gumby

Ai! No. I was going to test it, but got stuck in a pit. Read the KP topic itself. ^_^

Board footer