Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 04/12/09 11:04

Iritscen

Installing Mods

[Note: Instructions related to the Anniversary Edition refer to an older AE and are obsolete. -Iritscen]

In case anyone has trouble understanding the different kinds of mods that are out there, here's a list of kinds and how to install them:

Self-Installing (.bat, .sh) - Some mods pretty much install themselves, such as the Anniversary Edition.  The Edition uses a Windows batch file (.bat) to install on Windows, and a bash script (.sh) to install for Mac.  Windows batch files can be run by double-clicking them.  To use a bash script on your Mac, open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.  Use the "cd" command to change directories (e.g. "cd /Games/Oni/edition") and then type "./big_deal.sh" and hit Enter to run the script.

Scripts (.bsl) - This one's pretty simple.  Any time you download a mod with .bsl files, all you need to do is find the folder Oni/GameDataFolder/IGMD, and open up whichever folder is for the level you're modding.  This page has a handy table for seeing which folder goes with which level.  Next, you need to think about what kind of mod this is; some mods, like Oni Team Arena, are scenarios, and some, like OniMenu, add a new feature to Oni.

If the mod is a scenario, you need to move the existing .bsl files elsewhere before dropping in the mod's .bsl files.  If the mod simply adds a feature, then you drop in the mod's .bsl without removing the existing .bsl files.

Plug-ins (.dat, .raw, .sep) - These mods are in the same format as the existing levels.  Because Oni for the Mac uses an extra kind of file type, .sep, to store the same amount of data as .dat and .raw files do in Windows, you must be using plugins that are compiled for Windows when in Windows, and for Mac when on a Mac.  Simply stick them in Oni/GameDataFolder.  Important Mac note: You cannot run Oni with more than one plugin mod at a time without risking a crash unless you want to remove existing level files (e.g. level18_Final.dat/.raw/.sep) to make room in memory for the additional plugin mod.

OniSplit Import (.oni) - This is the complex one that usually confuses people at first.  If your mod came in pieces -- .oni files -- you are probably intended to put them in the level0_Final folder; if not, hopefully the mod will have instructions that tell you what to do with the files.  If it doesn't, try the following:

1. Make sure you have installed the Edition, and that you have backed up your game data.

2. Place the .oni files in Oni/GameDataFolder/level0_Final/, which is only present if you have installed the Edition.

Now you need to recombine level 0 (the global data for all levels).  In other words, you need to turn the folder of .oni files, level0_Final, into a set of .dat/.raw[/.sep on Mac] files.  You can do this using OniSplit, which will be found in Oni/edition/install/OniSplit.exe, or using a front-end for OniSplit such as AETools (Mac only).

3. This page has the most thorough explanation, but essentially you want to type something like (in Windows) "onisplit -import:nosep C:\Oni\GameDataFolder\level0_Final\ C:\Oni\GameDataFolder\level0_Final.dat" or (on Mac) "mono onisplit.exe -import:sep /Games/Oni/level0_Final /Games/Oni/GameDataFolder/level0_Final.dat".

---------
If there's anything we didn't address in the above post, please let us know so we can improve the instructions.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#2 04/12/09 15:04

Gumby

Re: Installing Mods

In the next AE, there should be a much easier pipeline for installing .oni files. smile

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#3 04/12/09 18:04

Iritscen

Indeed, I look forward to being able to update some things up there soon wink

#4 06/12/09 14:06

camirving
Website

I need help with something. I tried to download the AE New weapons. Okay,they are allll .oni . I knew it wouldn't be so easy.

I put them all in the level0_final folder,launched up the MS-Dos and tried to launch Onisplit with the command mentioned above ( I changed the path,of course. ) .

PROBLEM:
Arquivos De Programas ( portuguese for Program Files ) . Two words,it basically messes up the whole thing because of the SPACE. I tried using C:\Arquivos~ instead.It just says "Reading files" . But I don't think it worked.
HELP?

Last edited by camirving (06/12/09 14:06)

The net is vast and infinite.

#5 06/12/09 14:06

Gumby

If it says Reading Files... its working. smile It could take a while.

#6 06/12/09 14:06

camirving
Website

Actually,it just says reading files and sends me back to the prompt @_@

EDIT: AHHHHA!!
I found the problem: MS-Dos HATES spaces in the directory name ( Arquivos de Programas [ Program Files ] ),so I had to copy the stuff,paste it somewhere else and then run it. Thanks anyway guys! big_smile

Last edited by camirving (06/12/09 15:06)

The net is vast and infinite.

#7 06/12/09 16:06

Iritscen

Looks like ^ is the escape character in DOS.  You should be able to use that to type spaces.  Unix doesn't like spaces either, so on a *nix command line you have to type "Filename\ with\ spaces.txt" to work with a file named "Filename with spaces.txt", for instance.  The caret should work that way for you in DOS.

#8 06/12/09 20:06

Gumby

Iritscen wrote:

Looks like ^ is the escape character in DOS.  You should be able to use that to type spaces.  Unix doesn't like spaces either, so on a *nix command line you have to type "Filename\ with\ spaces.txt" to work with a file named "Filename with spaces.txt", for instance.  The caret should work that way for you in DOS.

No, the way I generally do it is enclose quotes around the path.

"C:\Program Files\Oni\edition\install\onisplit.exe"

#9 07/30/09 09:07

Iritscen

Okay, I'm unsticking this topic now, as the package format that AE uses for mods will hopefully replace all these older formats.  Leaving this up will only confuse people who have the new AE, since these formats shouldn't really be mixed in with it.

Board footer