Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/17/08 16:12

Mengjun

AE: First impressions

Well, I've been playing AE for a while now, and I must say, it's very good! The main reason is that the enemies seem to be much smarter now, (I'm actually having a lot of problems handling ninjas now.) which makes for challenging (hence fun) gameplay. There are still some stuff that can be exploited, though.

Barabas is still vulnerable to repeated Triple Hit Haymakers, this time provided that you do it from the sides. (At least it worked for me.) It's definitely an improvement though, since I can remember that I used to THH him to death from the front while I was still playing it on my PS2. =p

And I ran across an infinite loop as well. My opponent was a green Striker, and I managed to get him on the ground, belly up and feet towards me. He tried to kick me as he was getting up, I blocked that hit, did a c+fw+p, knocking the Striker down, belly up and feet towards me, again. Then he tried to kick me again, etc., etc., until he was dead =p.

But these are, in my eyes, minor issues. On the whole, I think I have to congratulate you guys on making a great game even better!

PS: If you find any English related error above, please tell me, since I still want to improve my English =p

#2 12/17/08 16:12

Iritscen

Re: AE: First impressions

Your English is great, Mengjun, I couldn't improve it if I wanted to smile.  Anyway, the AE is still in development, so I'm glad to hear your thoughts, because they can improve the next release.  As far as the Striker looping thing goes, maybe we can fix that by having him sometimes just get up without kicking, but it would be even better if we could make him sometimes roll backward to get up, or roll sideways.  Is that doable?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 12/17/08 17:12

Gumby

Should be...>_>

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#4 12/20/08 05:12

A8D

It's always a good idea to improve AI, and the fights are more fast-paced, but I wonder if the game doesn't become a bit too difficult (played on Normal difficulty), especially when fighting several enemies at the same time. neutral I noticed that you cannot knock the enemies down as often as before (I don't know if this is a bug with some moves or intended), and when they are on the floor you almost never have the time to hit them. I tried the sixth level and the second fight against Barabus was very annoying, he blocked everything, did earthquaker after earthquaker and his "stronger and stronger" special made him difficult to kill.

Having all Konoko's moves unlocked help in the beginning, but maybe a suggestion would be to give Konoko health regen over time, like the cheat code BUT the regeneration would be disabled if you are in overpower mode (I don't know if it would be easy to modify this). And that makes sense because Konoko has a daodan chrysalis after all. wink

Otherwise it's great to have all the characters in every level with Shapeshifter ! smile

Last edited by A8D (12/20/08 05:12)

Where there's a will for Oni II, there's a way !

#5 12/20/08 08:12

Iritscen

Barabus' behavior can be pretty random.  Yesterday he launched a bunch of grenades at me, which he normally never does (in Chapter 3, actually).  I've also had him not use a single Earthquaker (perhaps only in Ch. 3).  He is tough that second time, but I don't think he's been altered to perform more Earthquakers or blocks.  You definitely need to enter that fight with the energy shield so you can deflect the Earthquakers.  Other than that, I don't think the fight is quite as hard as Mukade later on, so it seems about right.  But difficulty can be very subjective.

If any boss fight is misadjusted in my opinion, it's mutant Muro.  I always thought he was really hard but never put much effort into fighting him because my proper Oni playthrough always has the "good" ending.  The other day I sat down and made short work of him.  I was surprised, because I am not that good of a player; he's just not that hard, though.  Regular Muro is a better fighter.

#6 12/20/08 18:12

Mengjun

Hm, I feel that enemies in general block more, and better in AE, and this includes Barabas as well. I just came back from, er, *trying* to beat Barabas (Chapter 3) for fun, but I didn't really get far =p (Hard difficulty by the way.) Seems that without resorting to Daodan overpower, guns and cheap tricks I'm not really that able to make a dent in Barabas' defenses =p

#7 12/20/08 22:12

Gumby

Barabus isn't so bad. He fights just like any other Elite, with small changes.
Mukade is harder. Ninjas are my weakness...
Muro is just evil. His combos are nasty.
Mutant Muro...I have never beat. I get too bored. Attack twice, run a little bit away, wait for him to lower his defenses, rinse and repeat.

#8 12/23/08 08:12

A8D

I did some more testing, this time on Hard difficulty, here's some thoughts about the new combat system :

- the overall game is much more difficult (did you increase the health of some ennemies or is it still the same for everyone ?) in Anniversary Edition. Let's not forget about less skilled players who could be discouraged

- Barabus is too difficult, and I find that he can regenerate health too quickly

- Mukade is difficult but ok. His woodpecker combo makes him vulnerable because if you dodge while he's doing it (which is easy), he doesn't interrupt his combo and you can get behind his back.

- I don't like the fact that you can be knocked over by your own moves if the enemy falls on you (if it's a throw from another character ok, but I happened several times to be knocked down by killing an enemy with a simple kick, that doesn't seem realistic)

- Making the special moves more vulnerable was a good idea (but it also makes the game more difficult)

- there is common "bug" (but I think it was already there in the original version) whereby you can back-throw an enemy if you are just in front of him while looking in the same direction as him. I don't know if it could be easily corrected or not ?

- the enemies should really remain on the floor a bit longer when knocked down

- In the original version of Oni, AIs never dodge plasma shots from the plasma rifle, now they dodge it too well. This could need some balance.

- Konoko's triple kicks combo becomes almost useless because very slow and easily blocked. Willow kick can still be useful but it's not easy to time it right

- It would be cool if Konoko's shift+punch move connected more often on an enemy lying on the floor

- At the beginning of the dream, the fight against Muro is extremely close, I had to try a few times to defeat him and after that you'll most likely have little health, in a level where hypos are scarce

- Why do some types of com guys fight like ninjas ?

- I'm not sure if the goal to "make mindless spamming less useful" is really completed because triple haymakers are still very effective and you can still easily spam running lariat (it's unblockable and people might be tempted to use it repeatedly agains bosses)

- Haven't tried mutant Muro yet...

Last edited by A8D (12/23/08 10:12)

#9 12/23/08 11:12

Iritscen

A8D wrote:

the overall game is much more difficult (did you increase the health of some ennemies or is it still the same for everyone ?) in Anniversary Edition. Let's not forget about less skilled players who could be discouraged

Someone might correct me on this, but I don't think we added any health to any enemies, but certainly the improved AI means they are harder to fight.  I agree that we don't want to discourage players who are still new to Oni.  Because of that, we plan on making any parts of the AE that increase difficulty optional in future releases.

Barabus is too difficult, and I find that he can regenerate health too quickly.

Pretty sure he's always regenerated health that quickly, it just means you have to stay on top of him when he starts backpedaling.  He can be tough until you learn the right tactics to match his AI behavior, but with the right approach he can be easily beaten.

Mukade is difficult but ok. His woodpecker combo makes him vulnerable because if you dodge while he's doing it (which is easy), he doesn't interrupt his combo and you can get behind his back.

What, no complaint about Mukade's difficulty?  Maybe you should try the Multiple Mukades script. wink

I don't like the fact that you can be knocked over by your own moves if the enemy falls on you (if it's a throw from another character ok, but I happened several times to be knocked down by killing an enemy with a simple kick, that doesn't seem realistic)

We've been trying to fix this for a while, and still hope to.  This is an original Oni bug.

Making the special moves more vulnerable was a good idea (but it also makes the game more difficult)

This would probably fall under the umbrella of what we will make optional in the future, I will take note of this so we remember.

there is common "bug" (but I think it was already there in the original version) whereby you can back-throw an enemy if you are just in front of him while looking in the same direction as him. I don't know if it could be easily corrected or not ?

Not sure I've seen this, can you post a video of it?  We're very visually-oriented in this community smile

the enemies should really remain on the floor a bit longer when knocked down

Unlikely to change, some people already find the "nap times" too long, esp. for certain characters.  You should have just enough time to hit them before they get up.

In the original version of Oni, AIs never dodge plasma shots from the plasma rifle, now they dodge it too well. This could need some balance.

I agree totally, but "balance" is easier said than done -- the AI either dodges nimbly or not at all, I don't know how to "dial back" the effectiveness of their dodges.  We have discussed this very point, though, and what can be done to make the plasma rifle less useless now that dodging works.

Konoko's triple kicks combo becomes almost useless because very slow and easily blocked. Willow kick can still be useful but it's not easy to time it right

Well, one could argue that a triple kick combo *should* be slower than most other combos.  And others might disagree with you on the Willow Kick's difficulty.  I don't use it myself, although I should.

It would be cool if Konoko's shift+punch move connected more often on an enemy lying on the floor

Which crouch-punch?  There's at least three of them.  The two-fisted punch while dropping into crouch, the monkey-style stiff-armed crouching punch, and the straight crouching jab.

At the beginning of the dream, the fight against Muro is extremely close, I had to try a few times to defeat him and after that you'll most likely have little health, in a level where hypos are scarce

You're probably right here, it seems unfair to present Muro at full strength when you'll have to face him that way at the end of the game; maybe we can lower his effectiveness or simply lower his health in this appearance.

Why do some types of com guys fight like ninjas ?

That's another one of our conceptual experiments.  It's going to change.  The reasoning has to do with wanting to make "Kojiro" (our name for Muro's right-hand comguy) fight like a ninja, but I don't think all comguys will fight that well in future releases.

I'm not sure if the goal to "make mindless spamming less useful" is really completed because triple haymakers are still very effective and you can still easily spam running lariat (it's unblockable and people might be tempted to use it repeatedly agains bosses)

I have seen some Lariat-spamming.  I'm really terrible at pulling them off, myself, so I haven't given it much thought.  We would have to determine what ways to make the move less successful, if it's possible at all (and if we did, I'd *never* be able to use it).  As for the haymaker, I think it's nice to leave some accessible elements to the combat; some reviewers appreciated that, seeing as melee can be challenging enough without making all the good combos hard to pull off.  We did reduce the power of the move so it's not as much of a balance-breaker.

Haven't tried mutant Muro yet...

I don't think we've changed him.  He's still as tedious to fight as always, and not very difficult.  I'd like to improve his effectiveness at some point, personally.

#10 12/23/08 11:12

Mengjun

Oh, that reminds me, I was wondering, since Konoko's Rising Fury, and Muro's move that's executed the same way, both are visually clearly two-hit moves, but when executed, they actually hit just once. But I think that might be hard/very hard/impossible to fix, unfortunately. It'd be nice if it was possible, though.

Also, having all Konoko's move at your disposal in all levels definitely made me appreciate certain moves better, like Twister Kick, and Stepping Disarm.

#11 12/23/08 12:12

A8D

Thanks for your answers. smile

We've been trying to fix this for a while, and still hope to.  This is an original Oni bug.

I don't think so.

Not sure I've seen this, can you post a video of it?  We're very visually-oriented in this community smile

I'll try, but it might be difficult to reproduce it on purpose. It can only occur when fighting two or more enemies at the same, often after a throw. I would need to record myself playing and cut a scene where it happens.

Unlikely to change, some people already find the "nap times" too long, esp. for certain characters.  You should have just enough time to hit them before they get up.

Really O_o ? I can hardly believe that some people still find them too long... Unless an enemy falls directly in front of you, it's impossible to hit them. But it's true, the nap time doesn't seem to be the same between the different characters, or even between instances of the same character class. I'm not really sure here. But I noticed that, especially with ninjas, sometimes you cannot hit them with crouch+kick or crouch-kick even if you are just next to them and you immediately do it, because it gets blocked (seems to be blocked more often if their back/legs faces your sweeping kick).

Also, what I find a shame is that because of the greatly reduced nap times, you cannot anymore damage an enemy by landing on him after a somersault, neither with a finishing rising fury punch.

I think that nap times play a big role in the difficulty when there are more than one enemy.

Which crouch-punch?  There's at least three of them.  The two-fisted punch while dropping into crouch, the monkey-style stiff-armed crouching punch, and the straight crouching jab.

I was talking about the crouch+punch (at the same time), while standing. But the fact that it can (could ?) hit an enemy lying on the floor might have been a bug in the original Oni. At any rate because of the nap times you don't really have the time to do that.

I have seen some Lariat-spamming.  I'm really terrible at pulling them off, myself, so I haven't given it much thought.  We would have to determine what ways to make the move less successful, if it's possible at all (and if we did, I'd *never* be able to use it).  As for the haymaker, I think it's nice to leave some accessible elements to the combat; some reviewers appreciated that, seeing as melee can be challenging enough without making all the good combos hard to pull off.  We did reduce the power of the move so it's not as much of a balance-breaker.

Hehe ^^ I've always found lariat spamming easy to do, if you run in the right spot, not directly in front of the enemy.

Last edited by A8D (12/23/08 12:12)

#12 12/23/08 14:12

Loser

OK, here are my answers:
First of all, thank you for your effort in trying out Anniversary Edition. Next, bear in mind that what you play is still BETA.
Now, reactions on your lines:

the overall game is much more difficult

This is version for us, who play this game for 8 years. I don't think that today, with HDR textures, power of DX10 and NEXT-gen graphics somebody will play this as "Hey. This game seems interesting. I should try it." Trust me, I have read through numerous forums. Not nice graphics = bad game, that is how nowadays 90% of players view games. And that 10% will appreciate harder level of difficulty as challenge.

Barabus is too difficult, and I find that he can regenerate health too quickly

Not only that, but he is planned in future (beta concept exists) to drain energy from his surroundings when he regenerates (extrapolation of fundamental law of physics: he cannot "create energy". But he takes it from world around him). that means it will hurt you if he regenerates and you stay close.
Next, he regenerates in the exactly same speed as in original Oni. We cannot change that.
Finally, he is very defense based, because he knows that weight and brute strength are HIS advantages. It is your goal to outmanuever him and force him to make an opening.

I don't like the fact that you can be knocked over by your own moves if the enemy falls on you (if it's a throw from another character ok, but I happened several times to be knocked down by killing an enemy with a simple kick, that doesn't seem realistic

This feature (knocked enemies can knock somebody else down) is going to be removed. While being nice touch, it is too buggy.

you can back-throw an enemy if you are just in front of him while looking in the same direction as him. I don't know if it could be easily corrected or not ?

Engine issue, right now we cannot do a thing about it.

the enemies should really remain on the floor a bit longer when knocked down

I plan to force every knockdowned character to stay on ground for 1/2 second minimal. That way chances should be even. Now it works a bit randomly and I don't like it as well as you.

In the original version of Oni, AIs never dodge plasma shots from the plasma rifle, now they dodge it too well. This could need some balance.

You mean "I want my plasma-sniping-while-AI-dumbly-runs-forward feature back"? It is gone, deal with it. Oni got bad marks from some gaming webs just because of this. (example: ... Next, AI, while being excellent fighters, are extremly silly in some other ways and can be taken out by simply shooting them with some plasma rifle while they blindly approach)

Konoko's triple kicks combo becomes almost useless because very slow and easily blocked

Changes are planned in combat system, I don't have time to do it right now.

It would be cool if Konoko's shift+punch move connected more often on an enemy lying on the floor

Thank you for tip. ^_^

Why do some types of com guys fight like ninjas ?

Bug caused by me. I apologize.

I'm not sure if the goal to "make mindless spamming less useful" is really completed

It partially was and now I am going to make it even less useful. By "spamming" I mean "constant usage of one attack gives you instant victory". It is impossible to get rid of "spamming" in terms "get rid of more useful and less useful combos". Goal is to make chances even, so Double Spin Kick spam does not mean spammer is almost invincible wheel of destruction, for example.

And lariat spamming is easy as *XYZ* because it causes some AI bug where AI temporarily "forgets" about attacker. Thus, when AI stands up it stays still in non combat manner for a short time. With precise timing, you can repeatedly hit these dull pauses and kill enemy "finez in da' noze". I still don't know exactly what causes AI to forget so quickly if it is lariatted.

Best Regards,
                                    Loser, informal member of AE team

P.S.:

Konoko's Rising Fury, and Muro's move that's executed the same way, both are visually clearly two-hit moves, but when executed, they actually hit just once.

Well, you are right. And Gumby is partially right that it can be changed, VIDEO. Problem is that then such a technique can hit allies as well. And yes, it realy MATTERs as AI2 does not care about allies (AI2 system takes it as a basic fact that allies cannot hurt each other with melee). So, while it being possible, it is bad idea to implement it or AI character will blindly hit other AIs while trying to hit enemy.

P.S.2: By the way, how do you like THIS? It will probably be in the next release. For Gumby: I failed to reduce it into 2 particle system, but I redone original concept from scratch. Now it is still 3 particle system, but more stable, less buggy, and a bit lighter on engine.

Last edited by Loser (12/23/08 14:12)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#13 12/23/08 14:12

Gumby

Mengjun wrote:

Oh, that reminds me, I was wondering, since Konoko's Rising Fury, and Muro's move that's executed the same way, both are visually clearly two-hit moves, but when executed, they actually hit just once. But I think that might be hard/very hard/impossible to fix, unfortunately. It'd be nice if it was possible, though.

Also, having all Konoko's move at your disposal in all levels definitely made me appreciate certain moves better, like Twister Kick, and Stepping Disarm.

Yes, it is fixable. *Waits for Loser to come along*

EDIT: It seems I posted right after him, but he missed Mengjun's question >_>

Tip on Barabus: If you keep the hurting coming, he can't step back to heal. smile

#14 12/23/08 14:12

A8D

This is version for us, who play this game for 8 years. I don't think that today, with HDR textures, power of DX10 and NEXT-gen graphics somebody will play this as "Hey. This game seems interesting. I should try it." Trust me, I have read through numerous forums. Not nice graphics = bad game, that is how nowadays 90% of players view games. And that 10% will appreciate harder level of difficulty as challenge.

I agree.

You mean "I want my plasma-sniping-while-AI-dumbly-runs-forward feature back"? It is gone, deal with it.

No that's not what I want, I agree that the AI was very poor at dodging, but as Iritscen also remarked, the plasma rifle is not much useful now. But I know that it must be difficult to achieve a good balance.

#15 12/23/08 14:12

Iritscen

I thought the bug A8D was referring to was when you kick someone from behind, they fall back on you.  Didn't that always happen?

The interesting thing about fighting Barabus (he's the only boss I'm good at, my "Tricky Barabus" video being a bad example) is that, as Gumby says, you really have to stay on him.  At the same time, his AI seems to sense when you are riding him too much, and that's what triggers the Earthquaker.  Sometimes I feel one coming, and I back off, and he doesn't do it.  For instance, punch-spamming him is likely to trigger it, in my experience.  I have no idea if that's how he's actually coded, but that's how it feels to me.

And Loser, I'm glad to see the wall collision system is back!  It looks like it prevents headthroughwallitis at least some of the time.  I *am* a bit concerned that a backwards roll that touches a wall will whack Konoko in the head.  But I would wait until play-testing it before I form any opinions. (hint, hint wink)

#16 12/23/08 15:12

A8D

Didn't that always happen?

I'm pretty sure it didn't, unless there is a difference between the MacOS and Windows version and I didn't notice while playing Oni on Windows before I installed AE.

Iritscen, what are the most needed skills for the further development of Oni ?

#17 12/23/08 16:12

Iritscen

Whoop, meant to respond to these things too.

A8D wrote:

Also, what I find a shame is that because of the greatly reduced nap times, you cannot anymore damage an enemy by landing on him after a somersault, neither with a finishing rising fury punch.

Pretty sure all the old floor attacks still work.  I land somersault flips on enemies all the time, it's my standard floor attack.

A8D wrote:

I was talking about the crouch+punch (at the same time), while standing. But the fact that it can (could ?) hit an enemy lying on the floor might have been a bug in the original Oni.

That's a good question, any thoughts on that, Loser?  Does it really make sense for the two-handed punch to hit someone on the floor?  I always thought it was weird too.

A8D wrote:

I've always found lariat spamming easy to do, if you run in the right spot, not directly in front of the enemy.

And, Loser, can anything be done to prevent abuse of the lariat?

#18 12/23/08 16:12

Iritscen

As for what skills are most needed, A8D, that tends to change over time as we move from one aspect of Oni to another (and we always are looking at multiple aspects at once, just some more than others).  For one, Loser seems to be the only one who really gets the animation system and is able to mod it effectively.  But I will let him speak up if he is still looking for an apprentice.  BSL skills are useful even though a few of us know BSL already, just because BSL is so central to so many of our modding efforts/ideas.  Ultimately the most useful skill for AE work is "willingnes to learn" smile  That way we can count on someone to help wherever the need is.

#19 12/23/08 17:12

A8D

I feel overwhelmed by all I have to/would like to learn. At least I won't be bored. tongue

But I think that for Oni I had better go on learning C or doing 3D modelling. If I can I'll learn BSL, it doesn't seem too difficult.

#20 12/23/08 17:12

Gumby

You will only need C if you are working on the Daodan\Flatline. smile

#21 12/23/08 17:12

Iritscen

Yeah, knowledge of C isn't needed before starting to learn BSL.  That's kind of like learning how to build your own car just so you can drive one that you bought smile

#22 12/23/08 17:12

Gumby

Iritscen wrote:

Yeah, knowledge of C isn't needed before starting to learn BSL.  That's kind of like learning how to build your own car just so you can drive one that you bought smile

No, more like learning how to build a motorcycle so you can build yourself a toy bike.

#23 12/23/08 18:12

A8D

I'll do whatever you want me to do ! But I like C. smile I hope to finish my huge PHP book soon. In the meantine since I arrived on this forum, I've also started learning more details about XML, I can go further in that direction if needed. But I am a jack of all trades - master of none, and this is not good.

#24 12/23/08 19:12

EdT
Website

I'll do whatever you want me to do

What are you most interested in fixing/improving Oni? 3D, graphics, scripts, TRAM, etc.  Once you find an area or two, then its a matter of being self motivated and decide on a project you want to do in that area.  None of us started as experts in modding Oni, its mostly trial and error, experimenting with this and that, using the wiki as much as possible.  But even with those starting limitations, we're making great progress!

I hope to finish my huge PHP book soon.

That reminds me of a blog post I read: http://jessicamah.com/blog/?p=519

But I am a jack of all trades - master of none

Sounds like me smile

Last edited by EdT (12/23/08 19:12)

#25 12/23/08 22:12

Iritscen

Yeah, what Ed said.  You should let your own interests guide you in what you want to work on, don't let us tell you what to learn cool

And I know what you mean, I'm only a jack of some trades, and master of none.

Board footer