Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/14/08 22:12

Burnov

Installed anniversary edition on vista; many problems.

I've installed the windows anniversary edition including the daodan patch on my vista box.

When I did a fresh install the game worked fine, albeit some graphical errors.

However, when I installed the anniversary edition + daodan. The game absolutely refuses to boot fullscreen if I use the appropriate batch file.

There is an option located on the top left hand side of the screen to go fullscreen. However when that is used. The entire screen goes BLACK.

I noticed that the binkw32.dll used in the daodan patch is older than the one that was defaultly installed on my pc.

What's going on exactly? It seems like the daodan patch actually effs the game up for me, as opposed to fixing it.

Also. As a minor critique of the forums.

You guys might want to consider making a sticky with information + links to everything necessary to update Oni to community standards. It's not necessary, but it would have saved me a lot of running around as I've been out of the Oni loop for a long time.

#2 12/15/08 01:12

Gumby

Re: Installed anniversary edition on vista; many problems.

Thank you for the suggestion. I don't know why nobody every thought of that... smile

Instead of using the widescreen option, try setting the resolution of your game to your desktop's current resolution.

I don't know what is wrong with fullscreen myself. It works for me...maybe rossy will know. smile

It is possible you don't have a good enough graphics card. Could you tell us what card you are using and what types of errors you see?

http://gumby.oni2.net/AE/run_full.bat <= that should run it fullscreen.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#3 12/15/08 01:12

Burnov

Gumby wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion. I don't know why nobody every thought of that... smile

Instead of using the widescreen option, try setting the resolution of your game to your desktop's current resolution.

I don't know what is wrong with fullscreen myself. It works for me...maybe rossy will know. smile

It is possible you don't have a good enough graphics card. Could you tell us what card you are using and what types of errors you see?

http://gumby.oni2.net/AE/run_full.bat <= that should run it fullscreen.

As I mentioned in my previous post. I used that batch file which resulted in the game starting up in windowed mode. In windowed mode it runs fine, however it runs less efficiently.

Widescreen option? I was never aware there was such an option.

The resolution of the game is 640x480, my laptop is not that fast, and it has onboard video. So I don't think I'll be running it in 1024x768.

Kind of irrelevant really, considering a vanilla install of the game runs just fine in my desired resolution.

Was the purpose of this daodan patch to senselessly increase the system requirements of the game for some strange reason?

Really I just want the added benefits of the anniversary edition mod.

It's beginning to look as if that's not happening.

Again. I'll explain. The game shows up in windowed mode, using the proper batch file for running it in fullscreen (I have no idea why it does this).

When I attempt to click on the fullscreen option on the top left hand corner of the window.

The game window goes to full screen, but everything is black. The sound still plays. However now everything is black.

Again, this is in contrast to the game running absolutely fine installed right off the cd.

#4 12/15/08 02:12

RossyMiles
Website

I noticed that the binkw32.dll used in the daodan patch is older than the one that was defaultly installed on my pc.

That's because they are completely different libraries. The binkw32.dll that is packaged with Oni is a Bink video player, Daodan replaces this with itself to trick Oni into loading it.

As I mentioned in my previous post. I used that batch file which resulted in the game starting up in windowed mode. In windowed mode it runs fine, however it runs less efficiently.

The batch file Gumby provided is a newer version than the one that is packaged with AE, try it anyway, it should work. If it doesn't, try this http://rossy.oni2.net/files/run_fast.bat .

Widescreen option? I was never aware there was such an option.

Only with the current version of Daodan smile.

Was the purpose of this daodan patch to senselessly increase the system requirements of the game for some strange reason?

hmm not really... The differences between Daodan Oni and regular Oni is that Daodan Oni by default runs in a window. This shouldn't be a problem for modern computer hardware. If you really don't want the new Daodan you can use the older FASM Daodans on this page http://wiki.oni2.net/Daodan_DLL .

#5 12/15/08 02:12

Gumby

Sorry, replace widescreen with fullscreen.

And I told you. Use the file I posted. It is not the same file that AE installs, it is modified for the new dll. smile

And if all else fails and the game runs fine, don't use the dll. The dll helps prevent common crashes and is used to introduce new features. The daodan patch does not increase system requirements. It is supposed to increase compatibility. However, we cannot account for every possible system configuration that comes along. As with all other games and programs, sometimes stuff fails.

And if all else fails, just run with the binkw32.dll that came with your game. If you don't need the compatibility patch and don't want the bugfixes and added features, don't worry about it.

#6 12/16/08 01:12

Burnov

I'm very impressed. The batch file worked!

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate the help.

Additionally, it's great to see this game hasn't been forgotten and lost to the sands of time.

Is there any decent documentation of functions and features for the anniversary edition?

The text file I got with the version I downloaded really didn't have anything.

#7 12/16/08 02:12

Gumby

http://wiki.oni2.net/index.php/AE <= closest thing to a changelog atm.

Board footer