Too bad I don't have a PS3 :<

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#2 06/02/09 08:06

Iritscen

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum

Yes, this could be the first great Batman game.  And I see that they cast Mark Hamill as the Joker, which is AWESOME.  There is no better Joker voice out there.  I think he's gotten even better since the animated series.  In fact, looking up the game's info now, it looks like they are also using Kevin Conroy for Batman (which everyone knows is Batman's best voice ever) and Arleen Sorkin for Harley Quinn.  That's awesome too, I would love to see Harley Quinn in this.

I didn't know Joker was playable, btw, that's pretty sweet.  Most of the game will be played as Batman.  You get to sneak around and drop on bad guys a lot, sounds fun for stealth fans.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 06/02/09 10:06

Gumby

Joker is only for PS3...

#4 06/02/09 14:06

Iritscen

Oh, ha, that's interesting.

#5 06/07/09 19:06

Lithium

What do you mean first good batman game? Batman for the NES was great. And Batman Returns was a great Beat em up.
And Mark Hamill Came out In jay and silent bob strike back as a joker style guy named c***knocker. And leia came out as a nun. And When C***knocker gets his arm cut off he says not again
Reference?

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#6 06/30/09 11:06

batpawn
Website

I really hate it when videogames use joker as a playable character. he is a psychotic, mass-murdering killer, not an martial artist. that oes against everything that the joker represents in the comics.

#7 06/30/09 11:06

Iritscen

It kinda seemed like he might fight in a "trickster" kind of style, not a "kung fu" style.  But I could be wrong.

#8 08/08/09 18:08

Iritscen

Well, I just played the Windows demo, and it's fun (but short, Oni's demo was like 10 times longer).  The game is gorgeous even on lowest detail.  I didn't even remember to try turning up the quality once I started playing.  And the voice cast from the Animated Series of the '90s is back, and as good as I knew they'd be (except the Commish's voice sounds totally different even though Bob Hastings is credited as Gordon on IMDb...).

I will say that the combat system is not exactly a threat to Oni's privileged place in our hearts.  Melee is in slow-motion, and you get visual warnings for when to block/parry.  Presumably the game gets harder, but the unarmed combat in the demo is easy enough that you can take zero damage just by paying attention and having minimal reflexes.  I know that Loser has pointed out the silliness of games where only one opponent in a group attacks at a time, so he will probably find plenty to be annoyed at here.

But it was undeniably fun to get up high and scope out a room of five bad dudes with guns, then single them out and take them down and quickly escape before the others arrived.  It has an amusing effect on them, as they go from trash-talking about Batman when their ranks are full, to calling out, "Can you hear me?  Come out!" when it gets down to a couple remaining thugs.  This is definitely a game I'll consider buying when it comes out in September.

#9 08/09/09 00:08

Loser

Well, looks like Iritscen knows me better than myself ^_^.

Yes, I have played demo as well. If we put aside beautiful audiovisual side and concentrate ourselves at gameplay, I dare to say that more Oni fans than me will have a Spock grin on their faces.

Thugs are maybe insane ( we are in Arkham after all ) but as far as I know Arkham was for violent, psychpathic or dangerous patients, not for mentally challenged thugs who have to wind up one second before they do a simple punch or kick.

Plus enemies cannot block? Disgusting.

On the other side, moves are smooth, hit reactions are nice, finishing moves are pretty eye candy. Just thugs need to be more active, it looks lame when you stand in the middle of three thugs and instead of all three pumelling you, they all just gaze at you and after some empty staring time, ONE after ONE they do something. Try to do that in Oni. Spawn three thugs and stand in the middle of them with AI2 active of course. See the difference? ^_^

As Iritscen wrote, stealth aspects are fun. Left hand into the air under 45°, the way enemies react on their lowering numbers is nice to watch. More, I am glad that armed enemies don't have Parkinson disease like their colleagues from many other games - they shoot quite accurate, so rushing them is asking for a grave.

But here Oni wins again in one thing - AI awerness of surroundings. I managed to do silent takedown which consisted of kicking villain in the spine then suffocating him. Point is that I performed it rigt behind another villain ( who was facing other way ) so impact from kick HAD to be heard by him. No reaction of course. More astonishing was that when kicked, my victim literally tapped that ignorant comrade on his back. No reaction as well. Sigh....

And finally, I cannot even mod this demo to make it fun to play! Dang it, when I change something, game either crashes or uses default settings. Wanted to set it on hard, but it seems that demo is hardcoded to be on normal or easy.

Loser

P.S.: I really don't like games where enemies go one after one at you + rest dancing around. And if combined with fact enemies cannot defend themselves ( block ) ... Somebody needs to make a wakup call to brains/heads of those who create fighting systems for these nowadays games. Serious business. Look at Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Fernetic heck n' slash, but enemies won't go down easily. Hard? Yes. Level of satisfaction after beating thugs in such a game? 100x better.

P.S.2: Now that I think about it, "enemies reacting on their lowering numbers" effect could be possible to simulate in Oni up to some degree. Anybody willing to do a tech demo?

Last edited by Loser (08/09/09 00:08)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#10 08/09/09 01:08

Gumby

As I said on another forum, I believe the AI has been dumbed down a bit, for the first level. They want you to get a hang of the silent takedowns thing (most people don't know of such a thing, even though it is second nature for most of us). Especially with that first group of enemies waiting for you. You will notice if you attract their attention and then hide they will go back to their original positions. They are like the robots in the training level. Don't judge the difficulty of a game by its first level. tongue

Btw, if you are looking for good melee combat, try Prototype. Most of the enemies can't block, because you are a freaking Juggernaut. How is a normal human supposed to block a punch from someone who can pick up a car? Literally, you are an Imago. But there are later enemies, who will block you. Guess what you are supposed to do then? Throw them. smile Sound familiar? I swear, they took a lot of elements from Oni. I'll make a topic on it tomorrow, probably.

#11 08/09/09 13:08

Lithium

not a lot of oni elements i call them basic beat em up essentials. And the x ray and seeing the bones break on Arkham Asylum is pretty neat. if this games is good like the demo then this should be the 3rd best batman game ever

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

Board footer