(more answers ASAP)

Last edited by Pierre (06/25/07 11:06)

#27 07/11/07 03:07

Pierre

Re: Updated "Konokö Payne" version

Oh yes!
http://www.codercorner.com/DualGunsIK.jpg

...playing Tomb Raider way too much smile

Not much time otherwise, I'll be leaving my job (and this country) at the end of september. Lots of stuff to organize.

- Pierre

#28 07/11/07 06:07

Loser

Way to go!!! Will this feature make it to the actual game ? I hope yes....

P.S.: Is this blended from ninja and konoko pistol animations ???

Last edited by Loser (07/11/07 06:07)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#29 07/11/07 06:07

geyser
Website

Hm. Do they shoot already? Or is it purely visual?

P.S.: Is this blended from ninja and konoko pistol animations ???

Don't think so... In Oni that'd be the way to go for dual guns, yes.
Pierre doesn't use Oni's aiming screens at all AFAIK. Makes his own.
Besides, this one could just be a single frame rather than a full anim.
Or maybe IK affects not only Konoko's feet here, but also her hands?

...playing Tomb Raider way too much

In the last Tomb Raiders, you can't aim while crouching IIRC tongue

Not much time otherwise, I'll be leaving my job (and this country) at the end of september. Lots of stuff to organize.

Sure hope you keep the project going afterwards. Writing a mail to you now (short one I hope wink )
BTW, seen this? http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … php?id=145
EDIT: And these? http://www.haibane.de/oni/lab.htm
http://oni.bungie.org/forums/index.php? … ge=4#pager

Last edited by geyser (07/11/07 07:07)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#30 07/12/07 03:07

Pierre

Errr??? Hello? Why are my replies not there anymore? What the hell's going on?

#31 07/12/07 06:07

azewrath

hey pierre, where do i get the lastest version of konoko Payne?

RESERVOIRDOGS - Trust no one... for real

#32 07/12/07 08:07

geyser
Website

At the top of this thread. Also check out the project's homepage: http://www.codercorner.com/Oni.htm

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#33 07/14/07 07:07

azewrath

r u sure the link works? all i get was " the connection timed out" sad

RESERVOIRDOGS - Trust no one... for real

#34 07/14/07 08:07

geyser
Website

Pierre's whole server seems down at the moment. Pierre?

#35 07/25/07 21:07

EdT
Website

There seems to be a problem connecting to the site.

#36 07/26/07 12:07

geyser
Website

Yeah, that's what the previous few posts amount to roll

Last edited by geyser (07/26/07 12:07)

#37 02/05/08 06:02

Zyrus

OK guys ,I have some problems with this Konoko payne update - when I try to open Flexine it say "this aplication has failed to start because MSVCR71.dl was not found "

Did I lose something wail downloading or just don't know what to do with this update ?

#38 02/05/08 06:02

Zyrus

OK guys ,I have some problems with this Konoko payne update - when I try to open Flexine it say "this aplication has failed to start because MSVCR71.dl was not found "

Did I lose something wail downloading or just don't know what to do with this update ?

BTW , I use russian version

#39 02/05/08 09:02

Iritscen

Wow.  What a coincidence.  I just had this same problem yesterday when I tried to run it on my Mac with Parallels.  I was trying to run Flexine while it was mounted on a drive called Y: (actually a shared folder in Parallels), and it was saying that it was missing different DLLs (I think MSVCR71 was one of them, but I'm not sure).  I solved the problem by moving it to the C: drive (root level).  Then it just worked!

Don't know if this will help you, though.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#40 02/05/08 13:02

Zyrus

huh, well ,I don't even got a thing ...  you said that you mounted it , but with what programe ?

Last edited by Zyrus (02/05/08 13:02)

#41 02/05/08 13:02

Iritscen

I just meant that I had the Konoko Payne folder on a separate drive (not my internal drive).  When I copied it to the internal drive, it worked.

#42 02/05/08 15:02

geyser
Website

@ Zyrus: KP is not an update for Oni, so it doesn't matter what version of Oni you're running.
If if fails to find some DLL, try moving KP to the root of your main drive, e.g. C (Iritscen's tip).
Since KP works fine for me from a USB drive, your problem might be with environment variables.
Typically KP will try to find the DLLs in system folders, which need to be listed in the path variable.

#43 02/05/08 17:02

Zyrus

big_smile big_smile haha ,guys , someone rename that dll that flexine didn't find big_smile... so i just  a bit corect it big_smile

#44 02/05/08 17:02

Zyrus

haha ,I though it was update , not fan made game big_smile atleast sound afect was taken from MEtal gear Solid ,that for sure .  Anyway ,well done ,but I'll still in playing oni because it is still to sluggish:D

#45 02/06/08 09:02

Iritscen

Yeah, Konoko Payne is a ten year project (at least!) so Pierre has done a lot of work, but there's still a lot of work left to do.

#46 02/24/08 08:02

Pierre

#47 02/26/08 17:02

geyser
Website

Hi Pierre, good to see an update.

Nothing really new here, just bug-fixes, “new” characters (Elite Striker, Ninja…), fixed motion scripts, an automatic camera for the demo-mode, etc. The previously mentioned “blood puddles” are in there, but it’s otherwise basically the same as last time, slightly improved.

First, the bad bits:

The blood puddles don't really make the "GAME OVER"s any less annoying: the sound effect, the screams, the sepia, the slowmo, the motion blur, the camera... sigh.
The guns are still way too deadly, even in Easy, but I guess your answer to that is that we're supposed to use the powerups (shield, invisibility) or Daodan specials.

The smart camera is really nasty. I've really grown to hate it with KonokoPayne. It's bad enough when Konoko's head hides the whole scene, but there's much worse.
What's much worse is that it still allows you to see through walls and inside Konoko, whenever the action takes place close enough to walls. So what's the point, then?
I know Jell'O cam is hard to implement because of those separate pipelines you mentioned, but surely plain culling (like in Tekken mode) would look better than this.
The whole point of Jell'O cam is that the camera behaviour (and thus the gameplay) are totally independent of the environment, which is the only 100% intuitive thing.

The controls are still lacking. Namely, because of your higher tolerance on the timing keypresses, it's not unusual to be "trapped" in a long combo, at the mercy of AI.
The dramatic double-tap dashing is still totally unusable except in slowmo or for "unfair" dodging and attacking (and that only in closed spaces). So it still annoys me.
Especially coming in from Oni, it's easy to tap the forward key twice and what happens then is that Konoko rushes across whole rooms, and into lasers and turrets...
Such unintended dashes really take the fun of a fight. Until it's made into a gauged special power with a special key, I'd reduce the speed of dashing to match Oni's.

The animation system lacks stuff like sliding and turning. Turning is not a priority for a Tekken-styled game, but it's one of the things that makes Oni's characters live.
I'm still not sure what's wrong with running animations (you know, how the foot-ground sync isn't perfect), and probably that investigation will have to wait some more.
It still seems to me that running animations (Konoko's at least) move the pelvis around at a uniform velocity, and the original accelerations and slowdowns are ignored.

Concerning the sounds, the Furies still sound like grannies (in Oni, the playback speed aka pitch is noticeably higher for all Fury voices).
The punches and kicks still sound awfully repetitive and cheesy. Is there any reason why you didn't use Oni's combat sounds for those?
Here's a trimmed-down Appleseed theme that makes the final fight somewhat more immersive (I've tried it and it seems to loop OK).
http://geyser.oni2.net/flexine/Appleseed.mp3
I might upload ambients and other sounds to the same directory later on.

With the jump-over-obstacles hack is gone, the AI in the final room look pretty stupid whenever the consoles are in their way.

Last but not least, something is very wrong with the lasers now. They kill less consistently and will often leave the characters "undead".
undead_robot.jpg
undead_konoko.jpg
In the latter case, Konoko stayed at 0 health until I closed Flexine.

The good bits:

The Tekken-like demo fights are really inspiring. It's really interesting to see Oni's melee transposed to a Tekken-like setup (tournament against the AI or with 2 human players). All the more interesting as the camera and controls would easily be flawless and that issues like pathfinding become non-issues. Also, such a game (tournament) doesn't really need a plot smile
Alternatively, you could bring full 3D freedom back and set up a pseudo-pathfinding that works for small arenas without obstacles (don't dodge when near a cliff, recenter when idle, etc). This rules out human opponents, but reenables some features like Nightshade kicks (then again, those feel a bit odd in a full-3D-freedom world; they're more fit for a 3D platformer).

The melee logic of the AI is quite good (I never asked you where you got it from, whether you adapted Oni's in any manner or set up your own from scratch).
Chapter 8 (level 10) is nice, however the left-right flip issue is more noticeable there than in the test levels. Neo's OniGame fixes the flip just fine, and it's XNA.

Maybe have a look at OniGame's source if you want to emulate Oni's character animation perfectly (OniGame has basically reimplemented all of Oni's Totoro in C#).
It's also great news that you're looking into making the project open source. Maybe that Tekken-styled gameplay could speed things up (no pathfinding, no problem).

#48 02/27/08 10:02

Iritscen

geyser wrote:

Concerning the sounds, the Furies still sound like grannies...

Don't they always?  I haven't heard them in KP because I can't get it to run without a huge graphical glitch (if Pierre gets the chance to check my thread on that, I'd appresh, but it's probably a result of my running WinXP in Parallels on my Mac and may not be solvable).  But man, the Furies are nasty-sounding in Oni.

#49 02/27/08 11:02

geyser
Website

Sigh. Fury sounds are sped up by 1.14 in Oni. KP ignores that and plays back all the sounds at their native pitch.
Hence the Furies sound 1.14 times lover/slower than in Oni. Which is even more nasty than in Oni, if you like...

#50 02/27/08 11:02

Iritscen

I shudder to think.

Board footer