Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 08/03/10 22:08

Mukade

Re: Dream Lab and Shinatama

I think it adds a more crazy "dream factor" to it

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#27 08/04/10 05:08

Iritscen

Now that I think about it, isn't that burst effect seen when you shoot an enemy?  It seems that Bungie set that wall texture to be regarded the same as the material on an enemy's model.  That would explain why Gumby's mod adds blood to the wall.  I wonder what Bungie had in mind when they did that.  Perhaps they actually designed it that way while they still had their own blood effect in place....

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#28 08/04/10 05:08

s10k
Website

Iritscen wrote:

Now that I think about it, isn't that burst effect seen when you shoot an enemy?

Yes it is. That's why I found it awesome. (and called it organic)

Last edited by s10k (08/04/10 05:08)

#29 08/04/10 09:08

paradox-01

** tech talk alert **
I took a look at textures in level 1 and 13 (warehouse and dreamlab) and checked the materials in BINADBTTextureMaterials. The wall with blood burst effect has "DL_LAV_FABRIC" as texture which is a "Cloth" material. "Cloth" is a child of "Character" in the material tree.

"DL_LAV_FABRIC" is the only texture using "Cloth" material. The other 6 textures (written in lower case letters) are also registered for other materials but their written in capital letters. Oni is here case-sensitive. So that why some warehouse boxes (with COVCRATE_x textures) don't have the blood burst effect.

BINADBTTextureMaterials contains materials which were considered for characters. But our "final" version of Oni uses BINADBTTextureMaterials only for level textures. So, the materials "Character", "Armor", "Flesh", "Cloth" (and more) are actually artifacts. The file wasn't cleaned. (Character materials and character textures are connected by ONCC(CBPM)-TRMA.)

My conclusion/theory is that DL_LAV_FABRIC needed an impact effect but Bungie stuff hadn't enough time to focus on this little detail (creating other effects). A more or less similar effect from a bullet hitting violet "fabric" appears to be the blood burst.

Another texture in dreamlab with blood burst effect is "DL_SPAGETTIO". Compare with this. It's on the dreamlab ceiling as "pipes". What happens if you shot spaghetti tomato sauce? Blood burst effect, again.

In sum, I don't think that those "bleeding walls" have a deep meaning.

Last edited by paradox-01 (08/04/10 09:08)

#30 08/04/10 11:08

Iritscen

Interesting, thanks for looking into that, 'dox, I was hoping someone would.  It's easy to see how Bungie could have done this entirely by mistake.

#31 08/04/10 11:08

Sharoduinn

Ah well, purpose or not, it's still fun to paint red smilies on the walls big_smile

But what about the flying Shinatama?
It's probably related to Shinatamas capture and death; when Konoko finally reaches her, she dies (that could explain the flying into the opposite direction). But why the giggling? It's as if she laughs at Konokos efforts to get to her hmm .
But these are just quick thoughts on the matter, hearing other theories would be nice smile

Last edited by Sharoduinn (08/04/10 11:08)

"Sorry about the mess"

#32 08/04/10 12:08

Mukade

To me it sounds like she having fun... IMO, fun at being free finally? You could argue that, since she isn't a being, only a construct, that her death is absolute, however, assuming you believe in afterlife, Mai might consider Shinni a sentient being, therefore when she died, she might picture Shinni as being freed, and therefore, having the time of her life  big_smile

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#33 08/04/10 17:08

Gumby

Mmmm.
spaghettios.jpg

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#34 08/04/10 18:08

Iritscen

Thanks for that valuable addition to the conversation  tongue

#35 08/04/10 20:08

Mukade

lol

Board footer