Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#126 04/06/11 13:04

Charles

Re: Oni Intel-native build for OS X

Wow! I was just loading up my iPhone with some podcasts to go for a run and then I got this email saying this was released. What a great day.

Thank you so much for all your work. It's inspiring me to go back and work on some hi-res textures that I said I'd do, like, a couple years ago. smile

Still a lot of screen tearing, though. That was my number one request. Really my only request!

Regardless, make no apology for your work. It runs great on my Aluminum Mac Mini. Maybe some issues regarding gamma and screen resolution. It seemed like when I switched to 1920x1080 32 bit, the middle gamma level appeared much higher, meaning I had to set the gamma to its lowest setting to make it look proper. But so far I have seen no major issues.

Are there plans to address screen tearing? Is there anything I can do to mitigate it?

Thanks again!

Last edited by Charles (04/06/11 13:04)

#127 04/06/11 13:04

seanparkerfilms

Wow, this is fantastic news. Thanks so much for all you've done, Edwin. It's amazing to think that anyone would go this extra mile, especially for a Mac port of an old game with a small cult following. My hat's off to ya!

Because this is going to become an officially supported patch, is there any chance of an Oni re-release, like on the Mac App Store or digital download at Feral? Could be a great opportunity to expose the game to new players, but I'm going to try to answer my own question here and assume that complicated negotiations between Feral, Bungie, MacSoft and OMNI or something along those lines would have to happen... for an old game maybe that's not likely to be worth their time.

#128 04/06/11 13:04

EdT
Website

Charles: Vsync is on the to-do list :-)

#129 04/06/11 13:04

Charles

Awesome! Thank you! big_smile

A few more issues to report. When I change a setting like screen resolution or quality, the application will quit and it will take a couple times of opening it again and quitting before anything appears on screen.

Also the debugger.txt file fills with a large assortment of "failed to locate instance" and "can't find emitted particle" messages. Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?

Last edited by Charles (04/06/11 13:04)

#130 04/06/11 14:04

EdT
Website

Charles: You're experiencing the Sparkle idling bug, it is fixed now and will be updated in the official release.  If it gets troublesome I can post a fix for it.

Currently, the debugger.txt is not giving us useful information, probably should fix that too one day. :-)

Please keep testing different aspects of Oni.

#131 04/06/11 15:04

TOCS

Frankly I would like to see something like this for the Windows version as well. <.< I'm tired of the 60 fps cap combined with that buffer overflow which slows everything down, on even the most high-end rigs.

#132 04/06/11 16:04

Gumby

TOCS wrote:

Frankly I would like to see something like this for the Windows version as well. <.< I'm tired of the 60 fps cap combined with that buffer overflow which slows everything down, on even the most high-end rigs.

Uh, what? The buffer overflow shouldn't slow anything down (especially as it is fixed in the Daodan) and the fps cap is so that the game doesn't break mouse input. (And you can't see much higher than 60 fps anyhow...)

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#133 04/06/11 19:04

KiwiGoneDutch

This totally made my day big_smile
Best news of the year!

#134 04/07/11 01:04

NMS
Website

Wow. This is really great! Thanks so much! I just played through the whole game and performance was rock-solid even at 1920x1200 with FSAA. I can record at 30 fps with Snapz Pro X at resolutions up to 1344x1008. I'm looking forward to vsync to eliminate tearing.

I do have a bug to report though: When I change the resolution, the game window disappears and doesn't reappear. Fortunately, the setting is saved and I can quit the game. Also, this state of the game being open and active but not having a visible window often occurs on launch if I've recently quit the game.

If you're looking to improve the game in other ways, I have a few suggestions:

-There are still occasional fraction-of-a-second stutters, which I'm pretty sure are caused by sounds not being loaded into memory and needing to be found on the hard disk.

-At large resolutions, the ammo and health meters are tiny. Perhaps they could be scaled up a bit?

-Subtitles disappear way too quickly. I suspect this depends on frame rate, which it probably shouldn't. Ideally, they would last as long as the sound is playing, plus some amount, but I don't know if that's practical.

-In widescreen resolutions, the character portraits are stretched. I guess their height and width are fractions of the vertical and horizontal screen size. Probably they should both be based on the vertical size.

-The mouse sensitivity is extremely high. Some way to adjust this would be nice. A line in the new launch args file would be fine.

Last edited by NMS (04/07/11 01:04)

#135 04/07/11 07:04

Iritscen

Thanks for the feedback, NMS, there's a lot of good ideas there.

NMS wrote:

I do have a bug to report though: When I change the resolution, the game window disappears and doesn't reappear.

That's the bug that we're calling the "Sparkle idling bug", which will be fixed in Edwin's final release of 1.1.  Oni has to relaunch itself to change resolutions, but the bug kicks in at times when Oni is relaunched shortly after quitting.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#136 04/07/11 09:04

Dirk Gently
Website

NMS wrote:

Wow. This is really great! Thanks so much! I just played through the whole game and performance was rock-solid even at 1920x1200 with FSAA. I can record at 30 fps with Snapz Pro X at resolutions up to 1344x1008. I'm looking forward to vsync to eliminate tearing.

I do have a bug to report though: When I change the resolution, the game window disappears and doesn't reappear. Fortunately, the setting is saved and I can quit the game. Also, this state of the game being open and active but not having a visible window often occurs on launch if I've recently quit the game.

If you're looking to improve the game in other ways, I have a few suggestions:

-There are still occasional fraction-of-a-second stutters, which I'm pretty sure are caused by sounds not being loaded into memory and needing to be found on the hard disk.

-At large resolutions, the ammo and health meters are tiny. Perhaps they could be scaled up a bit?

-Subtitles disappear way too quickly. I suspect this depends on frame rate, which it probably shouldn't. Ideally, they would last as long as the sound is playing, plus some amount, but I don't know if that's practical.

-In widescreen resolutions, the character portraits are stretched. I guess their height and width are fractions of the vertical and horizontal screen size. Probably they should both be based on the vertical size.

-The mouse sensitivity is extremely high. Some way to adjust this would be nice. A line in the new launch args file would be fine.

Can we see an example of the sound stuttering?

Also the mouse sensitivity is the same has it always has been, you might want to alter your system sensitivity if it is too high.

#137 04/07/11 09:04

TOCS

You can definitely feel the 60 fps cap, when you move the mouse. There's a slight delay, like with most games using vertical synchronization.  I still get that buffer overflow in certain parts of the game, especially when having the new texture packages enabled. The game slows down to about 10 fps when playing OTA on Arena. hmm

#138 04/07/11 10:04

KiwiGoneDutch

Finally got time to play.
like NMS said, the mouse sensitivity is extremely high. (it always has been on the Mac)  I have a "Logitech G5" mouse so thats my quick solution (lowering the DPI tracking).
I like to add when I change resolution(default > 1920x1200) not only does it close and not open (you all rdy know this) but for me the textures also get brighter.

I'm using a early 2009 iMac with ATI RadeonHD 4850,

P.S. my first post still stands Best news of the year. smile

Last edited by KiwiGoneDutch (04/07/11 10:04)

#139 04/07/11 10:04

Iritscen

TOCS, please don't confuse us by talking about the Windows/Daodan version in this thread smile

#140 04/07/11 13:04

NMS
Website

I remembered some more new problems. Now and then the game seems to think I released the forwards key, causing Konoko to falter slightly and stop dashing. It seems to happen more on certain levels than others, anywhere from every few minutes to a few times per minute.

Also, the intro and outro movies don't play.

Dirk Gently wrote:

Can we see an example of the sound stuttering?

Also the mouse sensitivity is the same has it always has been, you might want to alter your system sensitivity if it is too high.

It's not just the sound, the whole game stops for a small fraction of a second. It tends to happen while dialog is playing, the first time a weapon is fired on a level, or when a unique sound effect is played. It's really not a big deal, but I just thought that since computers have so much more memory than when the game was created, it might make sense to load more sounds.

I used to use a Kensington mouse, which let me set an acceleration curve that was acceptable for Oni and for everyday use. But I guess I can change the system setting to play Oni.

KiwiGoneDutch wrote:

Finally got time to play.
like NMS said, the mouse sensitivity is extremely high. (it always has been on the Mac)  I have a "Logitech G5" mouse so thats my quick solution (lowering the DPI tracking).
I like to add when I change resolution(default > 1920x1200) not only does it close and not open (you all rdy know this) but for me the textures also get brighter.

I've also noticed that the brightness changes suddenly a few seconds after launching the game. This started happening on my new MacBook Pro (but not other computers) with the old OS X app, so I thought it might be specific to my computer.

#141 04/07/11 13:04

Dirk Gently
Website

that is the game using a different screen calibration, not a brightness setting.

#142 04/07/11 15:04

NMS
Website

Ah. Can anything be done about that? It switches to a darker calibration after a few seconds, but changes back to the brighter one when I adjust the gamma slider, making it hard to know how bright it will be when I start the game and don't touch the slider. Also, if I set it bright enough that it looks good with the darker calibration and record video of it, it will be really washed out.

#143 04/07/11 18:04

EdT
Website

Strangely the delay to the darker calibration does not occur when you are in windowed mode...

#144 04/07/11 20:04

Dirk Gently
Website

I have an app called ReCal that should fix that for you. I need to get around to releasing it.

#145 04/08/11 05:04

edddeduck

NMS wrote:

I remembered some more new problems. Now and then the game seems to think I released the forwards key, causing Konoko to falter slightly and stop dashing. It seems to happen more on certain levels than others, anywhere from every few minutes to a few times per minute.

OK you have level examples? Also whet resolution and Mac spec are you playing at?

NMS wrote:

Also, the intro and outro movies don't play.

Feral do not have a Bink video license so the videos will not play at this time.

NMS wrote:

It's not just the sound, the whole game stops for a small fraction of a second. It tends to happen while dialog is playing, the first time a weapon is fired on a level, or when a unique sound effect is played. It's really not a big deal, but I just thought that since computers have so much more memory than when the game was created, it might make sense to load more sounds.

That would be a new feature not against it but it might not be as simple as "load more sounds" depends on how the game preloads them and at what stage.

NMS wrote:

These are possible but none will make it into 1.1 as I want to get something final shipping but depending on how the game engine deals with these we can have a look. NO PROMISES smile

Edwin

#146 04/08/11 08:04

NMS
Website

edddeduck wrote:
NMS wrote:

OK you have level examples? Also whet resolution and Mac spec are you playing at?

I think it seemed particularly common on level 6, but I wasn't keeping exact count. Now that I think about it, it does seem to happen more at high resolutions like 1920x1200 than lower ones.

#147 04/08/11 13:04

Gumby

Edwin, I can give you the code we used in the Daodan to fix the portrait issue.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#148 04/08/11 14:04

Dirk Gently
Website

NMS wrote:
edddeduck wrote:
NMS wrote:

I think it seemed particularly common on level 6, but I wasn't keeping exact count. Now that I think about it, it does seem to happen more at high resolutions like 1920x1200 than lower ones.

What are your system specs? I have never encountered this problem before at that resolution.

#149 04/08/11 15:04

NMS
Website

17" MacBook Pro i7 2.66 GHz, 4 GB RAM, nVidia M330, Snow Leopard. I'm using a somewhat old apple external keyboard, but I've never noticed it to be unreliable in other apps.

#150 04/08/11 15:04

Iritscen

I have the same issues with the build (I'm on a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo).  I think I've seen the sound issue, but I know I've seen the other issues.

Board footer