Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#101 01/31/11 15:01

Dirk Gently
Website

Re: Oni Intel-native build for OS X

Since it is a private beta, it is all under NDA, even if those involved wanted to they cannot talk about it to anyone. We are talking about a compile code overhaul here. Everything needs to be looked at and determined if it will work properly under any condition that the game would introduce to it. Since we are dealing with someone that has a job of porting games and will only really have time to do this on weekends outside of work and their own life we are talking a long time to get things done sometimes. For all we know the recent push for the many feral games onto the Mac App Store has caused a backup of work for him and making him unable to get to this. He is doing it because he loves the game and wants it to survive. I worked with someone at Bungie for doing something similar with halo PC. These things take a lot of time and are limited to what we as non-empolyees can know or even do. I have a complete re-write of shaders for Halo Mac that could be ported over to PC if given the little bit of information about how Halo PC compiles the shader binaries. He could not share that with me. Even though my intentions are true, it would also allow people to reverse engineer them to create a whole new breed of online cheats that you cannot combat with a version update.

tl;dr is that these things take time and so much more work than can be seen unless you are on the team. Only thing we can do is wait for it. Personally, I cannot wait to have OniLib saved game editor work with something instead of testing on PC save files and manually having to check the hex bytes of the file.

#102 01/31/11 15:01

Gumby

godzfire wrote:
Gumby wrote:

Your opinion is pretty wrong.

That's the great thing about opinions; they aren't wrong unless it's disputing a fact of certainty like 2+2 not = 4.

Except you didn't even state an opinion, it was more like an assertion. And in any case, DNF has a release date, didn't you hear? smile

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#103 02/01/11 06:02

Iritscen

But certainly there's nothing wrong with people writing Feral (politely) to ask about the Intel build, so they can gauge the level of interest that is out there.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#104 02/01/11 23:02

dpny

Iritscen wrote:

But certainly there's nothing wrong with people writing Feral (politely) to ask about the Intel build, so they can gauge the level of interest that is out there.

Can you give us an email address?

#105 02/02/11 06:02

Iritscen

On Feral's site, there's an email address on the Oni support page: http://support.feralinteractive.com/oni/EN.html .

#106 02/02/11 08:02

dpny

Iritscen wrote:

On Feral's site, there's an email address on the Oni support page: http://support.feralinteractive.com/oni/EN.html .

Thanks.

#107 02/02/11 12:02

Gumby

That FAQ is interesting. Can't you hold shift at start up in the Mac version to configure the controls?

#108 02/02/11 13:02

Dirk Gently
Website

Gumby wrote:

That FAQ is interesting. Can't you hold shift at start up in the Mac version to configure the controls?

Probably in the original OS9 version, I don't see it working on more recent ones though, might be just me.

#109 02/02/11 18:02

jackoverfull
Website

Dirk Gently wrote:
Gumby wrote:

Probably in the original OS9 version, I don't see it working on more recent ones though, might be just me.

The dialog is in the resource fork (so, mac os 9/carbon), but I never found a way to access it (long time ago, and anyway editing the file was easy). No such dialog for the cocoa version.

"To the future, blinkin' an eye to the past!"

#110 02/02/11 18:02

Iritscen

Correct, only the original Carbon app had the startup dialog (and only when running in the Classic OS did it allow you to change key bindings; in OS X, it simply allowed you to enter launch arguments).

#111 02/03/11 02:02

dpny

Email sent.

As an aside, the freezing mouse problem isn't limited to Intel machines. Happens on my G5 as well.

#112 04/04/11 20:04

godzfire
Banned

Months later.......nothing.......AGAIN

#113 04/05/11 00:04

Gumby

There's nothing we can do about it. We're at the mercy of Feral here.

#114 04/05/11 10:04

Dirk Gently
Website

Guys, let me say this again, you are expecting a public release of this from a guy that is working full time at a game studio on projects that they need to ship. He needs to do his work so he can get paid before he can consider doing this which is a for fun project. Nothing is done in a day and progress is being made as fast as it can.

#115 04/05/11 12:04

edddeduck

Hi Everyone,

I have a semi public build for everyone to have a look at unless something goes wildly wrong we will host this on the Feral site as an official patch. As Dirk and others have commented this patch is a personal thing that I have been doing in my spare time recently with Rome Mods (another side project), getting married and my day job as a producer making games and patches for Feral I have been a little short on time!!

With the help of Ken Case's Intel beta patch code plus the help from Iritscen & EDT on this forum we finally have 1.1 to the release door without each of them it would not have gotten this far so please make sure you appreciate these guys they really helped get this project to this stage.

Please don't shout about this release but (yet) let me know via this forum about bugs if all is well this will become the official 1.1 later this week. He is a list of what I remember we have fixed although I am sure we fixed more things as well smile

Intel Support
FSAA Support
  - launch_args.txt needs to be placed in the same folder as Oni.app and the GameDataFolder.
Mac BSL Parity with Windows - Follow BSL commands have been activated
  - am_hit_everything,
  - am_show_axes,
  - am_show_closest,
  - am_show_filenames,
  - ai2_showactivationpaths,
  - ai2_showastar,
  - ai2_showlos,
  - ai2_showsounds,
  - show_flags
  - turret_show_debug.
  - ai2_shownames,
  - show_characters
  - show_patrolpaths
Support for Community Modding
  - Pathfinding grid cache increased 8x
  - Support for 1024x1024 textures
  - Particle dodging
  - Fixed the weapon "cool down" exploit
  - RGBA8888 texture support

http://support.feralinteractive.com/aut … i1.1b5.dmg

[Please note that this build of Oni no longer runs in modern versions of OS X. See here for the latest build. -Iritscen]

Enjoy!

Edwin

#116 04/05/11 12:04

Dirk Gently
Website

As an addition to edwin's post, here is latest build of OniLib which you are going to need to recreate your saved game files as right now the intel build does not use the same format as the PPC oni persist.dat files do. When you first open the new beta your old persist.dat will be overwritten because it does not know how to read it. You can use Onilib, download link below to open this new persist.dat and enable levels and checkpoints to put you back where you were. There is another saved game editor out there but we have had some issues with it being "crashy" due to lack of upkeep on it. If you are having issues with getting this to work properly then leave comments in the official OniLib thread here: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=1661 . I'd like to keep this as on track with just dealing with the intel beta as much as possible.

http://cl.ly/5mGP

(NOTE: enable all means enable all levels, this applies to allowing the game to load levels other than stock. This option is NOT intended for you to enable all levels AND checkpoints for the levels. if you need to enable checkpoints you must select them check the checkbox then press the apply button)

Last edited by Dirk Gently (04/05/11 12:04)

#117 04/05/11 12:04

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

godzfire wrote:

I bet you're eating crow now, you dumb shit.

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#118 04/05/11 12:04

EdT
Website

For all those downloading the Intel release, SKIP the update window when it comes up. In other words DO NOT update the Intel Oni.  We were doing some last minute testing of Sparkle.  You have the latest version.

A temporary fix is to right click on Oni, select "Show Package Contents", open the Contents folder, double click on Info.plist, in the lines Bundle versions string, short and Bundle version change 1.1b2 to 1.1b5 and save.

In addition to the updates mentioned, there are more features included with this release:

Added new cheats from the PC Daodan: bigbadboss, bulletproof, kangaroo, marypoppins and shinobi

"Global" folder works for BSL.
You can enter uppercase letters in the console while in Developer Mode

Last edited by EdT (04/05/11 13:04)

#119 04/05/11 14:04

godzfire
Banned

Harry wrote:
godzfire wrote:

I wonder who I can report an admin to.....

....well I tried the Report button. Hopefully another staff member who doesn't engage in vulgar, personal attacks will look at it and take the proper actions.

By the way EdT, I see someone is a Tenchi fan :-)

Last edited by godzfire (04/05/11 14:04)

#120 04/05/11 15:04

TOCS

Even though godzfire wasn't being the most patient guy, I believe unnecessary harmful comments doesn't really belong in this appropriate situation. hmm No offense, but I thought the purpose of being an admin, was to prevent what Harry just did.  I'm not really an expert in morale and ethic, but I just felt like sharing my opinion. ^_^" Maybe I'm wrong, and should keep away from interfering in stuff like this. roll

#121 04/05/11 16:04

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

godzfire wrote:
Harry wrote:
godzfire wrote:

I wonder who I can report an admin to.....

....well I tried the Report button. Hopefully another staff member who doesn't engage in vulgar, personal attacks will look at it and take the proper actions.

And you're a little baby that drops into my forum now and again to criticize a free effort done in people's personal time. Go cry somewhere else.

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#122 04/05/11 16:04

Delano762
Website

What is this, North Korea?

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#123 04/05/11 16:04

Lithium

godzfire wrote:
Harry wrote:
godzfire wrote:

There is noone that can report our great Father (Boss...tyrant...dictator) Harry!

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#124 04/05/11 16:04

Samer
Website

ouh waw :\

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#125 04/06/11 03:04

edddeduck

EdT wrote:

For all those downloading the Intel release, SKIP the update window when it comes up. In other words DO NOT update the Intel Oni.  We were doing some last minute testing of Sparkle.  You have the latest version.

I fixed this on the server you should not be bothered with this anymore! Thanks EdT I was in a hurry and forgot to update the version ID on the server last night, as free time does not open up that often I wanted to actually get something out instead of another promise. wink

I know it can be frustrating but keeping old code alive just for the love of the game is not a 10 minute job (if only!) lets please celebrate getting the patch almost complete (with help from friends of Oni) and try and get along. I must admit getting abusive or dismissive comments is never nice (I have gotten quite a few over the years as I tended to be the public face of Feral on gaming forums) but I learnt the hard way starting a flame war tends to make everyone look stupid.

I have to admit I did have a small smile on my face when I posted the patch to prove a few people in the thread wrong but let focus on the good. On that note please give some feedback so I can call this 1.1 final and have it officially hosted on the support website smile

Cheers (and sorry I took so long),

Edwin

Board footer