Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/05/09 08:02

edddeduck

Oni Intel-native build for OS X

[Note: The build provided later in this thread no longer runs in the latest version of OS X. See this page for the latest Mac build. --Iritscen]

Hi Everyone,

My name is Edwin and I work as the producer at Feral Interactive. A long time ago we published the Mac version of Oni worldwide (apart from North America that was MacSoft).

I have managed to get my hands on the source code for OS X Mac Oni (with the kind help of Ken Case at Omni Group who made the original OS X patch) and I am aiming to make a maintenance release of Oni on the Mac that is 100% Intel native.

Now this is a labour of love and I am no longer a programmer (I have not really coded any large project since I left university) and I have limited time so this will not be a fast project or release. However I was planning on making a product in Feral's bug tracking system and releasing a early Intel beta to a few keen Mac users so you can play my latest build and start to log all the bugs I have yet to fix!

The main game seems to load OK but the options window currently causes a crash. However it is a lot faster than running in rosetta.

My plan would be to have this in private beta till we get the Intel build into shape and then release it on our site as an official patch. However as I am busy and a little rusty I thought a private beta will help me get the bugs logged and allow the keenest people to play the beta and let me know what they think.

The bug tracking system would be private (login's required) and I would ask everyone who gets a copy of the beta not to pass it around so we can get the Intel version stable and sorted before it gets out among the public at large as one of the deals I have making this patch is we will not suddenly get a pile of support for the game. smile

Anyway if people can post saying if they are interested of not I will look at getting things setup if we get enough volunteers smile

Edwin

#2 02/05/09 08:02

Iritscen

Re: Oni Intel-native build for OS X

I would be honored to be part of the private beta smile  I have a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 02/05/09 09:02

EdT
Website

I would also like to participate in the beta testing.  I have a white Macbook.

Edwin, welcome to Oni Central Forum. 

We are happy that you continue to have an interest in Oni and supporting the Mac community.

#4 02/05/09 10:02

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

Hey Edwin,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for helping out our Mac brethren in your own time. smile

If you need a mirror to eventually host the download, let me know and I'll throw it up on oni.bungie.org.

Again, thanks for joining and welcome!

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#5 02/05/09 10:02

edddeduck

OK,

If you can email me (I have setup my email in the forums email me option). I will then setup a login for you in our private bug tracking system. This system is a bugzilla install and will allow you to log bugs against the current build. I will also email you to build I compiled yesterday which loads levels at least smile

If you know how to update the resolution and depth without using the broken options menu you can even see if it runs at higher res's

Remember if I do set you up please don't share the build with people as I want the official release to be more or less perfect and having lots of messy betas floating around will just add to our support. sad

Edwin

EDIT : REMEMBER TO INCLUDE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS smile

EDIT 2 : And your real name for the testing system smile

Last edited by edddeduck (02/05/09 11:02)

#6 02/05/09 11:02

TaxiService

yay! :D i'll be glad to test if you think i'm enough trustworthy! XP
emailing!

#7 02/05/09 11:02

quarkmac
Website

Hello Edwin!

I am also extremely interested in participating in this beta testing!

I have an aluminum iMac - Intel Dual Core.

We Don't Give The Crescent Moon Kick Nearly As Much Credit As It Deserves!

#8 02/05/09 11:02

edddeduck

QuarkMac, ETD & Iritscen - You are now setup let me know how you like the beta smile

TaxiService - Please reply to my email asking for your real name and I will get you setup in the tracker

Cheers,

Edwin

UPDATING STATUS AGAIN

Last edited by edddeduck (02/05/09 14:02)

#9 02/05/09 19:02

atkfrg56

I would like to test also, please.

MacBook Pro 1.83Ghz

#10 02/05/09 21:02

Gumby

If you want to change any of your options, you can use OSGE - http://www.lafty.com/osge.shtml

EDIT: I don't recommend using this if you have unlocked extra levels (using Arena of Pain, Hexagon, noglass, or any other imported level data that uses up new slots). It crashed for me. Then again, it might work. Version 1.6 includes stability improvements that I on a PC can't try. You can always go find a new persist.dat somewhere, or pull up your trusty hex editor and consult here - http://wiki.oni2.net/Persist.dat

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#11 02/06/09 22:02

Gumby

A few things I confirmed with Iritscen tonight

1. The PC version of the persist.dat works with this, NOT the old Omni persist - use this: http://gumby.oni2.net/Arena/persist.dat
2. The intro movie doesn't play, BUT you need it in your GDF or else the game crashes.
3. Use the English installation if you can, it removes the "crash on Options"

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#12 02/07/09 07:02

edddeduck

Bit busy this weekend will try and get the other interested people logins etc on Monday.

Edwin

#13 03/01/09 16:03

thingythekid

I would love to help with testing. I have a quad core 2.66 GHz first-gen Mac Pro.

#14 03/01/09 19:03

iGuess

Hey, just found this thread googling to see if there was a way to play Oni on an Intel running Leopard. I have a 2.5 GHz Intel 15.4" MacBook Pro, and I'd love to help test.

#15 03/01/09 20:03

Iritscen

Just to be clear, anyone can play the game on a modern Mac as long as they have a (preferably patched) version of the Mac OS X port of the app (see wiki article on Installation for download links).

The value of this port is that it will majorly boost performance on Intel Macs, as well as probably solve some other glitches related to the age of the Omni port.  Also, one day Mac OS X will probably lose Rosetta and be unable to run PowerPC apps like the Omni port, so this Intel port will guarantee the future runnability of Oni for a good many years to come.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#16 03/01/09 23:03

EdT
Website

@thingythekid and @iGuess As Edwin mentioned in post #5 You need to go to his profile http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/p … php?id=551 and send him a forum email requesting to be part of the beta test and include your email address and real name for testing.

If you want to try out the patched version of Omni group's port go here:
http://wiki.oni2.net/Oni_engine_patches_%28Mac%29

#17 03/02/09 10:03

edddeduck

HI everyone,

We now have a forum just for the private Mac beta (to keep a lid on this patch till we can at least get it working in all languages). If you have the Mac beta from you you should have been granted access.

The following people need to PM me there personal details and or info. Once you PM (use the email option) me you will get setup with a beta and access to the testing forum.

TaxiService
iGuess
thingythekid

Cheers,

Edwin

#18 03/02/09 10:03

thingythekid

Thanks for letting me know, I've just sent a forum email with the appropriate information. I've been using the OS X executable from the OMNI group for a while, (along with the patch) and I'm aware of the reasons behind the Intel build, but thanks a bunch for the heads-up, Iritscen! Good to know that this forum accommodates newcomers. big_smile

#19 03/02/09 10:03

edddeduck

thingythekid wrote:

Thanks for letting me know, I've just sent a forum email with the appropriate information. I've been using the OS X executable from the OMNI group for a while, (along with the patch) and I'm aware of the reasons behind the Intel build, but thanks a bunch for the heads-up, Iritscen! Good to know that this forum accommodates newcomers. big_smile

All done my end, you should have access etc.

Edwin

#20 03/06/09 18:03

Charles

I think I showed up too late, but this is great!

Since most Mactel chips are multicore, will there be multicore support? Are you thinking of taking advantage of any of the technologies featured in the new version of OS X (Grand Central, OpenCL)?

#21 03/06/09 18:03

edddeduck

Charles wrote:

I think I showed up too late, but this is great!

Since most Mactel chips are multicore, will there be multicore support? Are you thinking of taking advantage of any of the technologies featured in the new version of OS X (Grand Central, OpenCL)?

I am thinking about getting it working correctly smile I don't think Oni needs threading it was designed for 233mhz!

Edwin

#22 03/06/09 19:03

EdT
Website

Charles: Send Edwin a forum email requesting to beta test the Intel port of Oni.

#23 05/03/09 17:05

lefticle@gmail.com

Edwin,

I"m very late to this post, but am very interested in Oni on Intel. I have a 20 inch Intel iMac and a MacBook.

Let me know how I can help.

Chris

#24 05/03/09 22:05

EdT
Website

@Chris  We are waiting for the next release of the Intel beta before releasing it to more beta testers.  The current beta has a number of bugs.  However, Edwin is very busy on a couple other projects, so we need to be patient.

Currently, you can play Oni on an Intel Mac using a patched version.  You can find info on it here:
http://wiki.oni2.net/Oni_engine_patches_(Mac)

#25 07/09/09 07:07

MrProphecy

Can I play too please!?!?!

Board footer