Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/02/09 08:02

Iritscen

To uploaders of Oni videos on YouTube

You might be aware by now (I'm often the last to find these things out) that YouTube is getting increasingly serious about copyrights on music, and the result is that some videos are getting taken down, and sometimes the uploader is asked to choose between muting the video, swapping out the music for something in YouTube's pre-approved library, or taking it down.

Many of our YT videos relating to Oni use copyrighted music for an audio track to go with the game footage.  If you have uploaded a video to our YT group (http://www.youtube.com/group/onitoo), you should make sure you have the original version somewhere for safekeeping.  That way, if it gets taken down or muted, at least we will have the option of putting it on another video site or deciding what to do with it.

Of course it's not a bad idea to save other people's videos to disk if you really like them.  I've always done that anyway as a habit, and maybe some of you do, too.  I use http://keepvid.com/, but maybe there's a better YT-download site that I don't know about.

There's no reason to panic and think that our videos are going to be prime targets, since we tend to use "obscure" music, by mainstream standards.  The main focus on YouTube right now is on music owned by Warner Music Group, which probably has nothing to do with us.  But it's good to play things safe.  YouTube is trying to legitimize and they may only get stricter about copyright enforcement as time goes on.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#2 02/24/09 16:02

Muro

Re: To uploaders of Oni videos on YouTube

I would never use music for videos of this nature anyway. When I want to view a game I really dislike the usual death metal music people generally use. Of course some themes are pretty nice if they fit the game. Oh I joined your youtube group. Didn't know it existed.

#3 02/24/09 17:02

Iritscen

When I want to view a game I really dislike the usual death metal music people generally use.

Well, in the OniToo group we tend to use music from Oni and Ghost in the Shell smile  And, some emo rock for good measure, you can't make music videos these days without it, apparently big_smile

#4 02/24/09 18:02

Gumby

My "More Dakka" video was muted. sad

Apparently seeing Transiberian Orchestra twice and having half of their albums isn't excuse to borrow their music. tongue

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#5 03/31/09 20:03

Muro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlM5BzKZ … re=channel

GeyserToo left a message asking if I still had the footage. I do and sent a PM for that effect but received so reply that I know of.

#6 03/31/09 21:03

Iritscen

It looks like his comment was just a week ago.  He's quite busy (and also, he's not on the forum these days AFAIK), so give him a little longer to see if he responds.  After that you could try sending him a forum e-mail (http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/misc.php?email=17).

#7 04/02/09 18:04

Lithium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yvyDB63 … annel_page
Yea go here to support the struggle against wmg. JUst follw wolfie's instructions and look at the video responses.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#8 04/02/09 18:04

Gumby

Watching a video won't help stop a music group stopping their music from illegal distributed. And most responses on YT are completely stupid, to be honest. 50 percent raging, 25 percent "ZOMG I love this!", 20 percent spam\unreadable, and maybe 5 percent sensible comments.

Yes, I know, everyone does it. But really, it is illegal. The internet is full of illegal things that lots of people do anyways. smile

#9 04/02/09 21:04

Lithium

Then we must do the impossible Metroid 3 online deatmatch! Oh right..................maybe a group a people should make their own website where you can upload your own vids, but no adult content then it would be catastrophic. Guess i cant go to google for help because they own youtube now. Ask or yahoo.And the video responses where just to see how much support we got. So guess we need westley snipes for this. And maybe even chuck norris.

#10 04/02/09 22:04

Gumby

There are plenty of other sites that host videos. However, you are missing the point. First, its not Youtube's fault. Second, moving your illegal activities to another site where you generate less attention does not make them legal. smile

I'm getting pretty annoyed by seeing these anti-WMG videos. People complaining because they do something they aren't supposed to be doing in the first place (distributing copywrited songs to thousands\millions of people) and get in trouble for it.

#11 04/02/09 22:04

Lithium

HHMM.. i see well i still think chuck norris should mak a movie with westley snipes

#12 04/03/09 15:04

Lithium

And guess we cant do anything about wmg but whine

Board footer