Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/23/09 02:01

onimotoko

New engine.

I am just curious about something. why don't the modders use unreal engine 3 to either remake oni, or make a sequel?
I mean think about it, UT3 has an editor and the engine has many cool rendering features. Is there some limitation that I am not aware of? I'm just curious because it is incredibly easy to make levels in the editor, at least for me. And I'd be willing to map for something that cool. But I don't quite have any animation or coding experience necessary to do it on my own.

I just wish I could get a team together to mod the shit out of a very good, and very useful game engine.
If you are interested here is my e-mail onimotoko@yahoo.com.
LOve&peace.

#2 01/23/09 04:01

AdamBast

Re: New engine.

Because it's very f###in' expensive?

My head is bangin'
You're killing me
Please don't stop

#3 01/23/09 14:01

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

You mean like this?

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#4 01/23/09 15:01

Iritscen

Or do you mean like this?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#5 01/23/09 17:01

onimotoko

Iritscen wrote:

Or do you mean like this?

No, I am refering to the Unreal engine 3, and no you don't have to buy it to mod it Adambast.
Look up some screenshots of unreal tournament 3 or gears of war & you'll see what I'm talking about.

#6 01/23/09 17:01

onimotoko

AdamBast wrote:

You don't have to buy it to mod it. They included an editor 'cause they want you to mod it.

#7 01/23/09 17:01

Gumby

onimotoko wrote:
AdamBast wrote:

You don't have to buy it to mod it. They included an editor 'cause they want you to mod it.

No, but you have to buy it to play your mods. smile

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#8 01/24/09 19:01

onimotoko

Gumby wrote:
onimotoko wrote:
AdamBast wrote:

No, but you have to buy it to play your mods. smile

no you really don't. trust me, i've been involved with the mod community.
it is time to rise to new levels, to gain new ground, and to move to another engine.
UNREAL ENGINE FACTS:
All you have to do is BUY THE GAME Unreal Tournament 3, and you can,
1. modify the game, including total conversion modification, (granted, you can not sell your final product unless you have a LICENCE.
2.create new maps, models, and assets for use in engine.
3. publish your work on any site of your choice.
YOU MAY NOT:
1. Sell your modification for profit or any monetary gain.
2. Modify the actual engine code( requires a licence)

If you have doubts just go and look at other modders works.
Love&p34c3

#9 01/24/09 19:01

Iritscen

Keep in mind, it's not a simple matter of porting the models and level geometry, etc. to Unreal's engine.  We'd have to recreate an intricate, advanced melee system.  How would we do that if we can't modify the engine's code?

#10 01/27/09 06:01

onimotoko

Iritscen wrote:

Keep in mind, it's not a simple matter of porting the models and level geometry, etc. to Unreal's engine.  We'd have to recreate an intricate, advanced melee system.  How would we do that if we can't modify the engine's code?

animations are done in a 3rd party program like maya or blender. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the engine itself. you then import them into the editor and apply them to your model(s)

Yes you would most likely have to make an entire animation system for each model. No you don't have to [frack] with the engine.
DO YOU NOW UNDERSTAND?

#11 01/27/09 10:01

Iritscen

Nope, I still don't understand, and please mind your language.  It's hard to imagine that the Unreal 3 engine could support the system of high/low attacks, blocks, throws, invulnerability windows, motion trails, frame interpolation, etc. in the way that Oni does, without any coding required.  There's a reason why Oni is a unique game in the area of melee combat -- the engine was built to smoothly handle the 2000 animations that the characters are capable of.  It sounds like more work than it would be worth to carry that system over if it's even possible to do so.

And since the engine can support high-res textures and pretty detailed models, we're not inclined to throw it all out and start again with a new engine just to get the snazziest new graphics effects and an editor (we're close to having all the editing ability we need already using 3rd party tools alongside OniSplit).  Not to mention that the AI would function differently in Unreal3 than it does in Oni and I think the difference in behavior might be undesirable.

If you have some examples of games remotely like Oni that run on the engine, though, I'd be glad to see them.

#12 01/28/09 00:01

onimotoko

I did not say coding would not be required( as in unreal script or kismet), just not the actual engine (the machine code that drives the way things are rendered and all that mess). And yes I do have some very good examples of games using the engine with complex animation systems:
Mortal Combat vs. Dc universe
stranglehold
last remnant
And no, nothing is exactly like Oni.
the A.I. would have to be completely  redone obviously.
But it's not so much that I want the latest and greatest graphics, its that the world does. Let's face it, oni's engine is outdated and most people are not as impressed with it as they where, it's just a fact of the gaming industry. All I can say is I would kill for a chance to make Oni 2 or at least something similar, if I could. But I can't I can't do it alone, I'm only a level designer, and I can't make an entire mod all by myself, so if you want, what I can do for you is to show you just how I can recreate a level using the editor and Maya.
Gimme a week or 2 and you will see just what you are missing.:cool:

Last edited by onimotoko (01/28/09 01:01)

#13 01/28/09 13:01

Gumby

While new levels are appreciated...

...coding in new complex animation systems requires coding. Deep coding. Engine level coding that you typically need a license for.

And the animation code is very complex\messy. smile

#14 01/28/09 18:01

Gumby

Might I also note that very few of has the experience and time to recode the neccessary systems from scratch.

What exactly is it about the Unreal engine that is so appealing to you?

#15 01/28/09 22:01

gmsly

I prefer the CE2 engine

62545273cj3.jpg

#16 01/28/09 23:01

Gumby

CE2 = Crysis, right? smile That engine is pretty sweet.

You might be interested in this - http://www.tornearth.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20

If I ever get tired of Oni\want to mod Crysis, I'll probably apply there smile

#17 01/29/09 01:01

onimotoko

Gumby wrote:

CE2 = Crysis, right? smile That engine is pretty sweet.

You might be interested in this - http://www.tornearth.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20

If I ever get tired of Oni\want to mod Crysis, I'll probably apply there smile

Indeed cry engine 2 is fantastic, but I am sold on UE3 just cause I know how to map and model for it. Also, the fact that crysis made my CPU cry, even on 1024x768 is kind of a turn off.
Unreal Ed makes it soooo easy to do just about everything. Now apparently some think that making a mod similar to oni is going to stretch the limits of what you can and cannot do without a licence, but I swear with God as my witness I WILL PROVE YOU ALL WRONG!
If it comes to it, I will personally e-mail cliffy b and ask if what I want can be done without a licence.

#18 01/29/09 04:01

Gumby

Whatever floats your boat...

...the final problem is that you are the only one with UE3 experience smile

#19 01/29/09 06:01

AdamBast

Haha

My head is bangin'
You're killing me
Please don't stop

#20 01/30/09 07:01

onimotoko

Well, I thought I'd come here and look for souls to steal for my army, but if none of you has the experience, then I guess I'll have to go to a place where there ARE people with experience. Sorry to bother you all, but I just thought at least one person would be interested in seeing a gaming classic brought back to life. Unreal Developers Network here I come!
If you don't have experience then why not just go to steam and download UT3? It's pretty cheap by now. And I can tell you where to get tutorials on the editor if you'd like.

If I knew more about the CE2 editor I would try for that, but I have no idea how to do any modeling or anything for it.

Last edited by onimotoko (01/30/09 07:01)

#21 01/30/09 08:01

m2

The unique thing of Oni is the hand-to-hand combat. I doubt that UT3 offers that.

#22 01/30/09 22:01

Gumby

onimotoko wrote:

Well, I thought I'd come here and look for souls to steal for my army, but if none of you has the experience, then I guess I'll have to go to a place where there ARE people with experience. Sorry to bother you all, but I just thought at least one person would be interested in seeing a gaming classic brought back to life. Unreal Developers Network here I come!
If you don't have experience then why not just go to steam and download UT3? It's pretty cheap by now. And I can tell you where to get tutorials on the editor if you'd like.

If I knew more about the CE2 editor I would try for that, but I have no idea how to do any modeling or anything for it.

I'm not interestied in learning a different engine atm, I don't have the online money to buy it, my computer can't run it.

#23 02/12/09 06:02

Kemot722

I thought about ONI mod for UT3, but I'm novice in UT3 editor. UT3 editor is hard to use for me. People should buy UT3 for use mod for UT3 in legal way, so this not a good idea. On this forum are ONI fans, not UT3 fans (not all tongue)

I'm back again smile

#24 02/13/09 06:02

edddeduck

Just to throw my thoughts into the mix I have never seen a single shipping game based on the UE engines from 1 upwards that have not modified the source code to allow them to do something better. To get the melee system working well alongside all of the other fight mechanisms in the UE3 engine would be a huge task and would be very hard to perfect without source control.

It's not impossible but the amount of work to do that is a lot more than just making a level in UnrealEd for example. And making a level and making a really amazing level takes a lot of time and talent and that is just one level never mind all of the physics, melee systems etc.

That all said it would be awesome to have a new Oni in high res I just don't think a UT3 mod would be easy and would most likely get a few people really exited for about a week then when the amount of extra work and skills needed becomes clear it would slowly die a slow death.

I would think it is better to have lower but more realistic goals as making what in effect would be a AAA game for free in someone's spare time is great on paper but very hard to do.

I don't mean to shoot you down at all, in fact I had a very similar plan to make a cell shaded version of the Quake engine and design a game around Ghost In The Shell (which is basically what Oni is) but even with 5 computer scientists in one flat all of whom now work in gaming we failed spectacularly!! The amount of work to make and design one level or even reproduce it in a new engine is huge, then getting the movement and physics etc it all adds up after a while.

Edwin

#25 02/13/09 22:02

Gumby

edddeduck wrote:

Just to throw my thoughts into the mix I have never seen a single shipping game based on the UE engines from 1 upwards that have not modified the source code to allow them to do something better. To get the melee system working well alongside all of the other fight mechanisms in the UE3 engine would be a huge task and would be very hard to perfect without source control.

It's not impossible but the amount of work to do that is a lot more than just making a level in UnrealEd for example. And making a level and making a really amazing level takes a lot of time and talent and that is just one level never mind all of the physics, melee systems etc.

That all said it would be awesome to have a new Oni in high res I just don't think a UT3 mod would be easy and would most likely get a few people really exited for about a week then when the amount of extra work and skills needed becomes clear it would slowly die a slow death.

I would think it is better to have lower but more realistic goals as making what in effect would be a AAA game for free in someone's spare time is great on paper but very hard to do.

I don't mean to shoot you down at all, in fact I had a very similar plan to make a cell shaded version of the Quake engine and design a game around Ghost In The Shell (which is basically what Oni is) but even with 5 computer scientists in one flat all of whom now work in gaming we failed spectacularly!! The amount of work to make and design one level or even reproduce it in a new engine is huge, then getting the movement and physics etc it all adds up after a while.

Edwin

Indeed. A full game can take hundreds of manhours to make, and it is hard for people who aren't getting paid for their work to put that kind of time in. (You know this, but others might not realize it).

On the subject of cell shading...

http://geyser.oni2.net/edition/celshadi … lasses.png
http://geyser.oni2.net/edition/celshadi … aChief.png
http://geyser.oni2.net/edition/celshading/PieceOfMe.png

Board footer