Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/12/08 13:12

gorilla325

random thoughts.

i wonder why we don't need lock on in Oni for PC...  did the console version have lock on? 

i was watching Rune on youtube.  the fight was so fast, and players went past by each other like flashes, then somebody died.  i don't remember Oni like that...  maybe because you could die by just one swing.  there's no locking system in star war jedi academy either...  but the fight was super fast like Rune, imo at least.  i felt Oni was relatively slower... 

i remember when i was playing tekken 5, there's a mode featuring Jin fighting through a corridor of enemies.  that mode reminded me of Oni, however, he needs lock on.  and i remember when i played bushido blade, it's very hard to engage people formally without locking on to them... 

maybe it's because of the Mouse...?  since tekken and bushido blade was console game, and Rune and SW jedi academy was PC games...  but without a lock on system, could we still have as many combos as those fighting games have? 

and i wonder could we use oni engine to do something like MMA fight games?  do an arm  bar on the ground...lol 

just some random thoughts...

Last edited by gorilla325 (12/12/08 13:12)

#2 12/12/08 14:12

Iritscen

Re: random thoughts.

It's a somewhat unnoticed fact that Oni does indeed have automatic lock-on for both gunplay and melee.  Gunplay auto-aim kicks in around 25 feet if I recall, which is why you don't notice it when firing long-distance, and the melee lock-on is so subtle that you can play the game multiple times without noticing it.  You can see it in action if you intentionally throw a punch just to one side of an opponent; Konoko should turn while punching, kicking, etc. to face him as she connects.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 12/12/08 16:12

gorilla325

i heard someone mentioned that subtle lock on system before.  smile 

but it did not provide circling function...  which is a bit weird to me. 
so without it, we wouldn't be able to play Oni as smoothly as right now. 

it's a bit different than most console fighting games, which designers force you to be always locking on to each other.   so what's the condition to be locking on, and what's the condition to disengage the lock on?  is it like shooting, the distance is the key?  or when i clicked the left mouse button and entered into melee mode, it's automatically locking on to whoever is in front of me? 

so when we were locked on, would we be able to do anything special, other than connect our punches and kicks to the enemy?  since most of Oni's combo can be performed without an enemy in front.  maybe that's where the takedown moves come in?  tongue

Last edited by gorilla325 (12/12/08 16:12)

#4 12/12/08 18:12

Gumby

The lock on is activated when a move is used and an enemy is within a certain angle (90 degrees or something).

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#5 12/13/08 12:12

Liquid Snake

bah I dont like the lock on, makes the job easier, and with a mouse I dont see the need...

#6 12/13/08 14:12

Lithium

In the PS2 version lock on can only be activated when using the blue rifle and that gun that practicly kills anything in one shot

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#7 12/13/08 16:12

Gumby

Are you absolutely sure about that?

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#8 12/13/08 16:12

Lithium

Well i dont know, it automatically keeps following the enemy

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#9 12/13/08 19:12

s10k
Website

Liquid Snake wrote:

bah I dont like the lock on, makes the job easier, and with a mouse I dont see the need...

You can turn it off via scripting, is what i did in my fun script.

#10 12/13/08 20:12

gorilla325

Script_10k wrote:
Liquid Snake wrote:

how was the game after turning it off?  would it be harder to play, or no change at all? 

i don't mind hard-locking on to enemies.  i played Blade of Darkness Severance, there's a lock on system in there.  and it somehow felt easier for me to play the game when fighting.  i guess i could focus on performing my combos, get away from being hit without keep adjusting my cameras.  but it's terrible in comparison with Oni when fighting multiple opponents, Oni is much superior compared with any games i played in that regard.  but perhaps with a hard lock on system, Oni would become too easy, since there's no counter moves in throwing.  actually i saw somebody perfect backbreaking skill without hard lock on system already...:p

#11 12/14/08 05:12

s10k
Website

gorilla325 wrote:
Script_10k wrote:
Liquid Snake wrote:

how was the game after turning it off?  would it be harder to play, or no change at all?

I found it more challenging and more interesting to play, because you need more skill to hit enemies.

To use it just enter in developer mode, and enter this command at the console:
chr_weapon_auto_aim=0

Try that and let me know what you think. smile

P.S. Just work with auto aim with weapons.

Last edited by s10k (12/14/08 05:12)

#12 12/15/08 06:12

ItemfinderDeluxe

Hey Script10K, can you enter that into a script code, or do you have to do it in a console? I'm guessing you can, but that would be pretty sweet for various scripts.

TCTF SWAT: Striker, you're under arrest.
Striker: H4h, y0u c4n'7 570p m3!!!
TCTF SWAT: Damn it, learn to spell!!!
CURRENT PROJECT - 'Nemesis' V1.0 Released

#13 12/15/08 13:12

gorilla325

sorry, when you mentioned console, does that mean any console in the game? 
i just go up and activate the console and type those command?  i just want to make sure that i don't need to go into something really technical.  i don't know anything about programming stuff...  tongue

#14 12/15/08 14:12

Iritscen

They're referring to the Developer's Console.  You turn on Dev Mode (thedayismine), and press the tilde (~) key to start typing in the console.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#15 12/15/08 15:12

s10k
Website

ItemfinderDeluxe wrote:

Hey Script10K, can you enter that into a script code, or do you have to do it in a console? I'm guessing you can, but that would be pretty sweet for various scripts.

You can do in both. In the developer console or write it in bsl files.

Board footer