Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#126 05/08/13 12:05

EdT
Website

Re: The Mod Depot is open for business

Level Maze uses level5_Final, so after installing you have to play level4 and use cheat winlevel to move to level5, you only need to unlock a level if it is above level 19.

Muro's Lair has been updated with the unlock level.

#127 06/02/13 08:06

Samer
Website

I was looking for SMP-Conversion in the AEinstaller under levels and couldn't find it since it was changed revision said it's not a new level.
true it's not a new level but it's a level-modification, it affects all levels, it's not a script where the level is changed completely, it's not pure bsl like MbearPlant for example, it adds characters to the levels and has a dependency on these characters hence it's a script (has bsl) a character (will install characters and use these characetrs in the mod) and a level modification\mod (affects all levels) .
The category character on the depot doesn't only include "new characters" it also includes character modifications to original characters example HDKonoko, HQMuro, Smart Barabas .. Severed textures etc .. likewise the term levels doesn't only imply New Levels.
mods that add new levels are pure level mods
mods that modify level textures are : texture - level mods
mods that modify levels with scripts and BINACJBO changes like mine  are : level - script  mods
users may look for these mods under either category ad they should be found when they do. no one told the users level is only for new levels.

if i was going to look for Severed texture i might look under characters or under textures.
if i'm looking fo Bozzman's updated warehouse also may look under texture or level.
if i'm looking for smp-conversion i might look under levels since it modifies levels, script since it's only part bsl and character because it's a character related mod
since all mods are now shown and user can easily be lost with all of them, dual or triple classification is necessary.

I restored the level type to my mod, I hope you keep it please.

Last edited by Samer (06/02/13 08:06)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#128 06/02/13 09:06

Iritscen

I've always specified that Levels was for new levels: http://web.archive.org/web/201003271049 … cabulary/2.  Saying that scripts should be able to go under Levels defeats the purpose of even having a Scripts category.  I don't accept your redefinition of the Levels category as "scripts + characters".  That is a Script and Character mod, nothing more.  I want Levels to only showcase totally new environments.  Before I recently cleared this categorization up, the Levels category was just wall-to-wall battle arena scripts.  I'm pretty confident that's not what users are looking for when they go to look at "Levels".

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#129 06/02/13 09:06

Samer
Website

"That is a Script and Character mod, nothing more.."
Not true, you can't compare this to pure bsl scripts like Mbear or OTA and I'm not really ok with it only showing under that category with 100 year old mods that no one plays anymore, no one will find it there. but ok .. you're the boss ...
but with that logic why is Griffin HD\ Severed textures \Konoko HD ... considered "character mods" ? they are texture mods.

could we rename the category to "New Levels" instead ? to be clear what the category is for users who are looking for level modifications to know that is only strictly new levels.

Last edited by Samer (06/02/13 10:06)

#130 06/02/13 10:06

Iritscen

Well, the way I defined Texture mod is:

"This mod will alter the appearance or resolution of Oni's environmental textures or add entirely new textures. This is not the category to use for modded character model textures; use "Character" instead. For modded weapon textures, use "Weapon" instead."

I realize it's not entirely consistent -- some mod types like Character and Weapon include both new content and modified versions of existing content, whereas "Level" is an exception to that.  But this was done after much careful thought.  I wanted to only see the pinnacle of modding, totally new environments, under "Level", and I created "Textures" just to separate level texture mods from new levels.  But as you pointed out, the naming is not totally self-explanatory.  I'll change "Level" to "New Level".

Edit: If you're concerned about scripts getting lost in that category, all I can say is that users need to sort their mods by date once in a while to see what's new.

#131 06/02/13 10:06

Samer
Website

I'll change "Level" to "New Level"
ok fair enough.
i don't consider my mod a pure script mod because no other script mod modifies the entire game - levels. all other script mods are written for a one time play and are too different from the original story, while mine adds to it.

Last edited by Samer (06/02/13 10:06)

#132 06/02/13 10:06

Iritscen

I'm just putting a notice here about something completely unrelated, because saying it in revision messages probably isn't noticeable enough.  If you have a mod called "FunHouse" and you search for "Fun" or "House" using the Depot's search function, it won't show up.  Granted, most players are searching mods through the AEI, which should work in this case.  But the words need to be separated by a space in order to be indexed by the Depot's search function.  Also, if the mod is called "Fun-House", the search for one word will fail.  You would have to name it "Fun - House" if the dash were really something meaningful that you wanted there.  Just a general FYI.

#133 06/02/13 12:06

s10k
Website

Samer wrote:

i don't consider my mod a pure script mod because no other script mod modifies the entire game - levels. all other script mods are written for a one time play and are too different from the original story, while mine adds to it.

Well titan mode modifies the entire game and also changes the boss battles. The main difference is that SMPC adds new characters.

#134 06/02/13 13:06

Gumby

You should allow multiple category inclusion. wink

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#135 06/02/13 14:06

Samer
Website

@s10k ... That's hardly the only difference. But that's a topic for another thread.

#136 06/02/13 15:06

Iritscen

Gumby wrote:

You should allow multiple category inclusion. wink

I do wink

#137 07/05/13 08:07

Samer
Website

Iritscen can you please stop hiding my mods from their categories tongue ?
Oni Zen Garden Arena is a new level it adds the new level geometry and everything .. same thing Arena of Hurt (classified as new level) does ... but instead uses different scripts (Leus's zen garden scripts which in my opinion surpass OTA, you should try it sometime smile ) so I'm going to presume it was mistakenly removed from New Levels category to scripts only.

But let's agree on something, I agreed that any scripts that modify original levels should be added under Scripts.
But, and I feel really strongly about this, any scripts which modify New Levels .. should be under New Levels ...

SMP-Fightclub is a new level, If I decide to later make a new script which uses that level's geometry for another mod .. say FightClub2 with different rounds .. I don't want to have to reupload the geometry in the new pack or force users to redownload 20+Mb if they already have part1, I'll just add a dependency to the SMP-Fightclub .. true this new mod will only contain bsl but it will effectively download the New Level geometry which it has a dependency on, hence it is also installing a new level. unlike pure script modes it doesn't modify the game in any way without the new level.

It makes no sense whatsoever to me that in that case SM-Fightclub will be under level, while SMP-FightClub2 (which also installs the new level geometry but by dependency instead of being included and reuploaded) will be under scripts :\ ... Users looking for New Levels will want to see the new levels and any modifications for the new levels in the same view.

Users looking under scripts are looking for scripts that modify the original game, new level modifications will look out of place there and users will be confused if they select a script and it's suddenly downloading a 20 mb level geometry dependency.

hopefully you agree smile

Last edited by Samer (07/05/13 09:07)

#138 07/05/13 09:07

Iritscen

Well, I suppose that's okay.  I was just trying to avoid littering the category with things that aren't actual new levels so that the player isn't being misled into thinking there are this many new levels and then finds out that half of them are scripts with no new geometry.  But I guess looking at it from the dependency point of view, it can be argued either way, so I won't keep putting up a fight about this if you want to put the new level scripts in New Level.

By the way, are you sure you want to put "Obsolete" in the name of the mods for Arena of Hurt?  That tends to indicate that "you don't want this mod, it's obsolete".

#139 07/05/13 09:07

Samer
Website

thanks ^_^
the level's load screen and level list says Obsolete .. that's what the level is called, I'm not sure who named it ... I added it to the title because I've had users searching the level list for (and not finding) a level called Arena.
2013-07-05_173740.jpg

Last edited by Samer (07/05/13 09:07)

#140 07/05/13 12:07

Iritscen

Heh, I knew it was a reference to the level name in Load Game, but I didn't realize the actual splash screen said "Obsolete".  Well, I would think users would search for "Hurt" if they couldn't find "Arena", but oh well.

#141 01/13/14 11:01

Samer
Website

Iritscen sad is there any chance the file size limit on the depot can be increased more than 50 mb ? Like triple that ? Finished packing the level and between the custom music (each has a mac and win version), sound effects, splash screens, textures and geometry the zipped package is 126 mb :s ... I hate to think that after all this work I won't be able to add it to the depot.

#142 01/13/14 14:01

Iritscen

I tried to raise it to 150MB, but it seems that something on the server is limiting the size to 64MB.  I'll have to consult with Alloc on this.

#143 01/13/14 18:01

Samer
Website

It says not less than 160 Mb NOW .. DID IT WORK ? big_smile

#144 01/13/14 18:01

Iritscen

Okay, turns out I couldn't do it entirely from my side, but we have now set the cap to 160MB.

Edit: LOL, were you refreshing the Depot every minute?  You posted between my changing the setting and finishing this post  smile

#145 01/13/14 18:01

Samer
Website

YAY ^_^ thanks Iritscen !!

EDIT: kinda tongue I know my uploading is gonna take forever so I'm in a hurry to start it tongue

EDIT2 : Thanks Chris too ^_^ !

Last edited by Samer (01/13/14 18:01)

#146 01/13/14 18:01

Iritscen

Thank Alloc too, since it's his server space  wink

#147 01/18/14 12:01

Samer
Website

Iritscen. is this error due to my slow internet or is it something else ? it's the 4th time I've tried to update today.
8pErWybZrQprc76891dklAwepZx5Z4LSTuPqAySjdtM=w647-h371

#148 01/18/14 12:01

Iritscen

I'm not sure, I haven't seen that before, but I would guess it's probably due to errors in your connection.  Unfortunately HTTP is not designed for file transfers, so larger files have a good chance of failure.  Can you try to email it to me, and I'll upload it (then you can edit the node's info)?  SMTP (email) is not designed for file transfers either, but at least it's trying something different.

#149 01/29/14 10:01

Iritscen

For those who have uploaded mods to the Depot: I've been out of touch with the Depot for a while now, and I allowed a certain situation to get out of control, which is duplicated mods.  Now, when you go to update your mods, I have always asked you to remove an existing attachment on a node, save, then edit the node again and add the new attachment and save.  This was to prevent duplicated files.

You know that a duplication has occurred when you have a mod like MyCoolThing.zip, and then you update it, and you see that the link now points to a file called MyCoolThing_0.zip (note that the file name will still display on-screen as MyCoolThing.zip; you must hover over the file download link to see the actual URL with the real file name).  That "_0", "_1", etc. is the software avoiding a name conflict, because even though you removed the file from the node, the old file is still taking up space on the server.

As an extreme example, I found five copies of the new Wilderness level on the server:
DupeWildernesses.jpg
(Ignore the modification dates, those are when the files were downloaded to the backup location on my HD.)

Now, I was going to blame you guys for this situation tongue, but it seems that there's an issue with the Depot software that is preventing old mods from being removed.  Back when I wrote the instructions about removing, saving, then adding the new file, I was sure that the old files were being deleted, but something has changed since then, so I will be looking into the cause of this.  In the meantime, there may be nothing you can do to prevent the file duplication.

The main reason I'm posting now, and not after I've found the problem, is to let you know that I deleted about half the data that was on the server, taking it from around 1.9GB to 900MB.  I was careful about only deleting files that I was sure were not linked to a node anymore, but if you find that I've made a mistake and deleted an active mod, don't panic; I have all the files, duplicates and all, backed up, so I can restore anything that's missing.

On a side note, I discovered while browsing the Depot that the Jubei and Akane mod seemingly has no file associated with it.  There are a couple Jubei/Akane files on the server but they are not linked to the mod page.  One is from 2011 and one is from 2013.  If you want me to associate one of those with the page, I will, or else you can upload your preferred copy of the mod yourself so you don't have to worry about whatever old file might be on the server.

Last edited by Iritscen (07/23/17 08:07)

#150 01/29/14 15:01

Samer
Website

that's weird :\ whenever I updated wilderness preserve I checked the remove box near the old one, and when editing the page only 1 zip was shown.
however my process isn't exactly what you said :
I edit the mod.
I check the remove box near the old attachment
I upload the new one and once uploading is done i click save.
I press edit again to make sure only 1 attachment is there.

I don't save right after removing the old attachment and before uploading the new one because due to my internet I don't guarantee that I'll be able to upload the new one and the mod page will then become without any attachment and the mod unavailable, so i only save after i make sure the new attachment is uploaded.

for jubei and akane an updated version of the characters will be uploaded when made, the old ones are now part of the Spartan Inspired Characters. you can remove the Jubei and akane page all together if you want, or keep it and I'll upload the new Jubei and Akane when they are made -someday- to it.

Last edited by Samer (01/29/14 15:01)

Board footer