Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#76 12/25/12 15:12

Samer
Website

Re: The Mod Depot is open for business

I haven't tried uploading but everything else seems fine.
Are you still going to add a mod number field (like there's one for creator, and version number) and allow them to be arranged by numbers ? (like they can be arranged by date or other stuff)
if yes i can take the time and add the numbers to all uploaded mods if needed.

Last edited by Samer (12/25/12 15:12)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#77 12/25/12 18:12

Iritscen

Thanks for the reminder -- I had tried to add a package number field earlier today, but the other problems were preventing it from working.  I have now added it in.  If you wouldn't mind filling in the numbers for the packages, I would greatly appreciate the help.  Unfortunately, this is going to throw off all the "Last updated" dates, but the only way around that would be to edit the SQL tables directly, which I don't have the guts to do.

P.S.: I haven't forgotten about posting some news items on the newer mods, I hope to do that tomorrow.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#78 12/25/12 23:12

Samer
Website

Thanks for the package number smile
another issue though tongue, I can't find the edit button of the mods .. Or the create content button.
I'm sorry for all this trouble you're going through :$

#79 12/26/12 06:12

Iritscen

Ha, sorry, that was another side effect of changing "File" to "Mod".  It removed the permissions that allowed registered users to create and edit Files instead of simply changing the name on the permission.  You should be good to go now.

#80 12/26/12 23:12

Samer
Website

Iritscen I'm updating the package number field (and removed the numbers from the titles of my uploads ) .. however I have a request if possible, when you click to arrange them by package number in increasing order, those without a package number appear before those with numbers and thus make the whole thing pointless. it should be the other way around .. meaning mods without a number should appear last (if possible in both increasing and decreasing package number order) ..
there are mods that aren't packages ... and thus don't have numbers ... example : http://mods.oni2.net/node/117 and http://mods.oni2.net/node/40  http://mods.oni2.net/node/120 etc .. a work around .. If I may, I could give them a 99999 or a xxxxx number thus they appear last .. or if possible when "all mods" are arranged by package number automatically exclude displaying all non package mods.
However what would be a best long term solution is have the creators make their mods into packages, currently bsl and oni files are supported by AE installer so there's no reason why file swap and plugins should still be used (using plugins and file swap get overwritten when you run AE installer anyway so technically they're not AE compatible) I would convert them to packages myself but there are a lot of old mods I don't know what they do and don't have time to test them
so I hope their creators can get them in package format .. example script-10k all your scripts can be made into packages now.
but since there are many inactive creators now .. a temporary suggestion like i said is to exclude non package mods from the order or have them appear last or i give them xxxxx or 99999 numbers. (Anniversary Edition and related tools can be given 0000 number so they appear first)

EDIT : I finished adding the numbers to the packages .. http://mods.oni2.net/mods/Package?order … r&sort=asc

Last edited by Samer (12/27/12 00:12)

#81 12/27/12 07:12

Alloc
Website

Hi Samer,

the problem is no matter what value you put in that field the non-package-mods will always come first in one of the two sort orders. Also there's basically no way to have a view exclude non-packages when sorting by a given column (which would furthermore be irritating users as "all mods" would then actually don't show all mods wink ).

Also I don't see any reason why all mods has to be sortable by package number as it contains lots of mods which are non-package so they would be in the wrong place anyway. If you want a list of mods sorted by "type" (i.e. package number range) you can still view mods by "install method" "package" sorted by package number and get the desired result smile

We'll have to see how things turn out in combination with AEI2 anyway big_smile

Regards,
Chris

ONI2.net, link to just any important resource-pages about ONI.

#82 12/27/12 09:12

Samer
Website

hi Chris thanks for the reply

Alloc wrote:

the problem is no matter what value you put in that field the non-package-mods will always come first in one of the two sort orders.

that can't be changed so they appear last instead of first ?

#83 12/27/12 10:12

Alloc
Website

It's just an alphabetical sorting ... so if you for example use "00000" as number for all those mods you get them first when sorting ascending. If you use e.g. "AAAAA" for all those you get them first when sorting descending. So no, there's no way around this wink

#84 12/27/12 10:12

Iritscen

Yes, I was waiting to reply until I had researched this a bit more, but when I set the view to supply "-----" or "none" for missing package numbers, they still sorted before numbers.  This is strange, as numbers come before letters in ASCII, so some other sorting method must be getting used.  As it is now, at least sorting in descending order will at least give you packages first, in order by number, albeit reverse order.

#85 12/27/12 17:12

Samer
Website

mm the reverse order is a bit annoying since the packages with the high numbers are usually test mods and thus it makes less sense for them to appear first  .. also the whole idea of showing them in ascending order to see which overwrites which, gets useless.
So like I said what i can do is give those non package mods a 99999 number in the field or 9xxxx (thus they appear last when sorted by mod number ascending order), but I can see how that's not accurate and a bit messy.
It is strange that letters are appearing before numbers cz like Iritscen said numbers come before letters in ASCII. :\
So hopefully the creators of those non package mods give them an update and make them into packages with numbers like the other AE friendly packs  .. maybe one day smile
anyway thanks for the update it sure is an improvement smile

Last edited by Samer (12/27/12 17:12)

#86 12/27/12 21:12

Iritscen

Samer wrote:

also the whole idea of showing them in ascending order to see which overwrites which, gets useless.

I could argue that descending order makes at least as much sense as ascending order -- the ones that come first in the list will overwrite the ones that come later.  But I think the more important point is that neither order really tells us much because we can't see at a glance which packages actually would overwrite the files in a lower-numbered package.  The AEI will be the program that actually gives us that kind of useful information, as it will check for file overlap between mods and advise the user.

So like I said what i can do is give those non package mods a 99999 number in the field or 9xxxx (thus they appear last when sorted by mod number ascending order), but I can see how that's not accurate and a bit messy.

Well, I did consider having the empty numbers fill in with "99999" (I can do this automatically without having to edit the nodes), but it seemed like it would be messy and misleading, as you said.  And "9xxxx" would probably sort between the 80000s and the 90000s.

Anyway, once the new AEI is released, the average player will have no reason to go to the Depot at all (besides looking for non-packages, which probably won't happen often), as that will be a superior interface to using the browser.  At least, I trust it will, Alloc wink

#87 12/28/12 05:12

Alloc
Website

Iritscen wrote:

... as that will be a superior interface to using the browser.  At least, I trust it will, Alloc wink

Now that's the pressure I like big_smile

#88 12/30/12 16:12

Samer
Website

1 more request :$
can we please add a creator column ? right now we have a Contributor column (that we can click to arrange by Contributor) I feel we should have a Creator column before that one  (so we can also arrange mods by creator)..
the contributor might have only uploaded the mod .. whereas if I wanted to see let's say all the mods paradox or I have made I have no way to do that .. for example I just uploaded a mod by paradox .. on first look on the All Mods it appears as if it's my mod since there's a contributor column with my name next to it and not a Creator column .. and perhaps the contributor can be renamed to "Uploaded by" as it can imply creator.

Last edited by Samer (12/30/12 16:12)

#89 12/30/12 17:12

Iritscen

Actually, I'm not even sure now why I used the Contributor column... any objection to my replacing that with the Creator column?

#90 12/30/12 17:12

Alloc
Website

Huh? Isn't there a creator column? At least the internal name is creator ...

#91 12/30/12 17:12

Iritscen

There's a creator field, but not a column displaying it in the mod views.

#92 12/30/12 17:12

Alloc
Website

Ah big_smile

#93 12/30/12 20:12

Samer
Website

Iritscen wrote:

Actually, I'm not even sure now why I used the Contributor column... any objection to my replacing that with the Creator column?

I wanted to suggest that, but thought the contributor is useful for moderators to see who uploaded what or something, but from a user's perspective it's not really useful tongue so imo yes it's better to replace it with creator.

and thanks a lot for adding the new mods to the depot's main page ^_^ big_smile (the 'New Characters' doesn't have a link though like the others, this is the page link that should be used http://mods.oni2.net/node/222 )

#94 12/30/12 21:12

Iritscen

Okay, I've switched over to showing Creator instead.  Of course, the contributor will still show up on the actual mod page, but as you said, it's not useful information for the average user.

the 'New Characters' doesn't have a link though like the others

Oops, I mis-formatted the HTML for the link so it wasn't working.  Thanks for catching that, I have no idea when I would have noticed my mistake.

#95 01/23/13 06:01

Samer
Website

Iritscen where did the delete mod page option go ? I was combining white chief and black chief packs that i made long ago into 1 pack and then wanted to delete this page: http://mods.oni2.net/node/100 .. I can't find the delete button, it used to be near edit i think.

#96 01/23/13 06:01

Alloc
Website

It's disabled for safety reasons. You should still be able to unpublish a node (lower end of the edit formular, left hand side tab "Publishing options", checkbox on the right "Published").

#97 01/23/13 06:01

Samer
Website

I don't see it ..

#98 01/23/13 06:01

Alloc
Website

Almost thought so ... then you can't do this as a normal user. Just inform irit or me in such cases wink
(Removing black chief now)

#99 01/23/13 07:01

Samer
Website

Ok thanks smile but just curious tongue why the change ? Only few of us can edit the depot (paradox, edt, script, demos, geyser, onitulez and myself .. ) i don't think any of us will do anything to tamper with the depot's security tongue

#100 01/23/13 08:01

Alloc
Website

To prevent from accidents. If you delete a node it is gone forever. If you just unpublish it contents can be restored.

Board footer