Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 03/19/07 14:03

Jon God

Take-Two in Trouble, May Sell Company

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158068

interesting, I wonder were the Oni rights will land...

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#2 03/19/07 14:03

Tosh
Website

Re: Take-Two in Trouble, May Sell Company

Hopefully into PD. big_smile

#3 03/19/07 15:03

Jon God

PD? Public Domain?

Jon-God.jpg

#4 03/19/07 16:03

Tosh
Website

Yeah. smile
If it went PD, maybe we could get the cut stuff. >__>
A man can dream.....

#5 03/19/07 16:03

geyser
Website

Tosh meant public domain, yes. Without anyone asking, I doubt they will pull off anything that altruistic: spontaneously throwing things away? Come on! smile
However, even though the time may be right for us to wonder about the legal status of the Oni franchise, asking them anything right now is probably risky.
The "them" we'd ask whatever we'd ask is pretty blurred, and it'll become increasingly blurred if Take 2 messes up and gets a complete staff overhaul.
Might be a good time for a nice and kind company (maybe not Bungie, maybe Seropian's shack or someone even more independent) to buy Oni back.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#6 03/20/07 00:03

Jon God

Bungie would make it some 360 exclusive game tongue that would suck.

Jon-God.jpg

#7 03/20/07 14:03

EL

Jon God wrote:

Bungie would make it some 360 exclusive game tongue that would suck.

Then a month after it's release would announce a port for Vista big_smile

elgamercarduj3.jpg

#8 03/20/07 15:03

Jon God

perhaps, but look at how bad Oni was on PS2, then think of a console version of it being ported to computers *bleah*

Jon-God.jpg

#9 03/20/07 16:03

geyser
Website

Was the PS2 version of Oni any uglier than the PC/MAc ones? smile
I don't know if bungie have retained enough identity to buy Oni only to release it into the PD.
Probably not. And it doesn't make any more sense to buy it in order to make money off it smile
I still hope to see and hear more of Cameron's Battle Angel: could it be Bungie's next?

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#10 03/20/07 21:03

Jon God

geyser wrote:

Was the PS2 version of Oni any uglier than the PC/MAc ones? smile
I don't know if bungie have retained enough identity to buy Oni only to release it into the PD.
Probably not. And it doesn't make any more sense to buy it in order to make money off it smile
I still hope to see and hear more of Cameron's Battle Angel: could it be Bungie's next?

Well, the PS2 version of Oni was a terrible port, there was slow down, long load times, the graphics looked washed out, the controls were sluggish.
And the game wasn't even exactly like the Mac/PC versions, it didn't have all the same cheats, and locations/ranks of a handful on enemies and guns.

Well, I don't think bungie could really buy anything right now, as they are owned by M$.

What's this about bungie's next thing?

Jon-God.jpg

#11 03/21/07 13:03

geyser
Website

Well, it's not like Bungie to make games based on third-party stories, but as you said, they're not really Bungie anymore, so anything goes.
Basically, the story is that James Cameron (Aliens, Terminator 1 & 2, Titanic) is planning a comeback after an almost 10-year hiatus.
Specifically, he's planning 2 trilogies (first movie sorta standalone, and 2 sequels for each shot and released back-to-back).
So a little bit like Matrix or Pirates of the Caribbean, but without an annoying cliffhanger between parts 2 and 3.
One of these is a thing called either Avatar or Project 880, with a planet called Pandora, and aliens that manifest themselves by possessing surgically upgraded humans, some kind of love story in parallel worlds. After some preproduction, actors have been cast in February (including Sigourney Weaver), and a release could be expected in 2008 or 2009. A few words that "A futuristic tale set on a planet 200 years hence... an old-fashioned jungle adventure with an environmental conscience... [that] aspires to a mythic level of storytelling."

OK. And then there's the other project, which was actually announced before Avatar (Cameron is sorta doing both trilogies in parallel, and he'll shoot and release both first episodes before working on parts 2 and 3 of every trilogy). The other project is based on GUNNM aka Battle Angel Alita. It's a dystopian/cyberpunk action story. A little bit over-the-top, with massive boss battles, but also some emotional background. The heroine is a female battle android (Gally a.k.a. Alita), sorta like a Shinatanker smile
The point is, BA's release was postponed partly because Cameron wants it to be full 3D CG, and also IMAX-friendly, i.e., shot in 3D and shown in 3D, too: thus it's oriented mainly on theater play. It's basically the same as Final Fantasy (motion actors etc), but it will be much more action-packed, and up to Hollywoodian rather than Japanese standards in terms of pacing, dialogues and narration. And it's supposed to be seen on an IMAX screen to fully enjoy the immersive universe.
(There's some of that in Avatar, too, but in Avatar there are live actors. Sorta like the last Star Wars movies, or Arthur, or Polar Express or whatever. It will be shot in 3D and shown in IMAX as well as BA, supposedly. In BA, there are no live actors on screen)
The other point with BA is: the movies will be developed in tandem with a video game, that will be sort of complementary to the story unfolding in the movies. The manga is rather long and dense, and the film can't cover even the first few chapters without leaving things out. Thus people will be expected to see the movies and play the game in order to fully enjoy the revisited universe of the manga.
BA is a long way off (it'd be released in 2009 or 2010, by the looks of things). The only company and platform named in relation with the game's development were MS and the 360. Given that Bungie has been responsible for MS's killer apps since Halo, I think they might well be the designated developer for BA (after Halo 3, and maybe Halo 4, who knows?).
Interestingly, BA is all about hand-to-hand combat. Possibly not Oni-sized (maybe a bit like in Path of Neo) and excessively unrealistic. But I hope that Bungie will indeed be the ones in charge, as they would have the opportunity to draw from the experience of Bungie West with Oni. In such a scope, it would make sense for them to recover elements of the Oni franchise from Take 2 (some of the algorithms for character animation, for instance, are very well done in Oni). If they develop a good melee engine for BA, it goes without saying that they'd have a wonderful platform for games like Strident, and they could also consider reinstalling the Oni franchise, surfing on that kind of wave.

Most of that is pure speculation, but with Cameron's BA, and MS's Bungie, I really like to think that some of it will actually happen.

For the story on Cameron's comeback, see HERE, then follow the MTV link for a recent article (surrounded by lots of flashy ads and noisy trailers).

Erm. Update. The 3 BA movies would cover the 9 "graphic novels", that is, mostly all of GUNNM's storyline (without the Last Order sequels). Maybe Cameron will manage to pack the sequels in as well.

Last edited by geyser (03/21/07 16:03)

#12 03/21/07 14:03

Jon God

Wow, lotsa info there, what makes you think Bungie will do something with that?

Jon-God.jpg

#13 03/21/07 15:03

geyser
Website

Bungie is MS's primary game division. And they're responsible for Halo, a series of killer apps for Xboxes.
So when Cameron says BA will be made by Microsoft, for the 360, I say: "Bungie's Battle Angel".. why not?

Oh, the MTV story is maybe not so easy to find: http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles … tory.jhtml

Last edited by geyser (03/21/07 16:03)

#14 03/21/07 21:03

Jon God

hmm, I doubt Bungie would do that, they seem to like to stick to their own IP

Jon-God.jpg

#15 03/21/07 23:03

geyser
Website

To their own what? And, are you sure that "they" are the ones who like to etc?
I say, if they must base their killer app on someone else's story, they'll do it.
Anyway, it's way too early to speculate on that. Like, 2 or 3 years too early.

#16 03/22/07 04:03

Jon God

Yeah, it is, but I seriously doubt they would do that.

Jon-God.jpg

#17 03/22/07 16:03

EL

Yeah, plus MS has other first-party developers to make GUNNM. Like Rare mb?

Last edited by EL (03/22/07 16:03)

elgamercarduj3.jpg

#18 03/22/07 16:03

geyser
Website

Rare... The makers of Kameo... Yeah, could be a safer guess.
I was going to say that non-Bungie melee would probably suck (then again, Bungie is not Bungie West)...
But Kameo has the same (extreme) melee as the Gunnm manga and anime, and renders it pretty well.

OK then, that way this discussion has really nothing more to do with Take 2's current problems smile
Or has it?

#19 03/22/07 16:03

EL

I have nothing much to say about T2 hmm

7 days till that conference.

elgamercarduj3.jpg

#20 03/22/07 17:03

EdT
Website

Couple more articles about Take2
http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=105848

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=106528

One possible course of action is the company's partial or total sale to interested parties. In a previous report, we mentioned Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation as a potential buyer for the company, after having once entertained the idea of purchasing the whole of Electronic Arts. But Mike Hickey, an analyst at Janco Partners in Colorado, has listed EA itself as another likely buyer, according to Bloomberg.

Finally a comment:
http://www.crossingwallstreet.com/archi … kes_f.html

March 20, 2007 Take-Two Takes Five on Their Annual Meeting

The soap opera at Take-Two Interactive (TTWO) may finally be reaching a conclusion. The company which makes Grand Theft Auto is in a load of trouble. Outside of the fact they don’t make money, is that TTWO is under a slew of lawsuits and investigations. In one of the dumbest moves of the year, they’ve just launched a lawsuit against one of their biggest critics.

A group of shareholders has had enough and is aiming to take over the company and ditch the current management. I so hope they win. It looks like they have the votes to do it. The management team has delayed its annual meeting to explore their options, including a sale. Please, no one is going to buy Take-Two. I hear people say Electronic Arts (ERTS). No way.

If Take-Two is lucky, the dissident shareholders will win and turn the company around.

Last edited by EdT (03/22/07 17:03)

#21 03/22/07 17:03

EdT
Website

I guess Oni isn't the only game Take2 stopped developing after purchase:
http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=107128

And finally, Miller spoke quite a bit about his company's more recent successes, including Prey and Max Payne. But, he's particularly curious as to why nobody has released a new Max Payne game in quite a while:

"With Max Payne, for example, we always planned for a long series. I'm still puzzled to this day why -- after 3D Realms and Remedy sold the IP to Take2 -- there's not been a Max Payne 3. That's a franchise that sold over 7 million copies between two games. We should be hearing about Max 4 in development by now."

With Take-Two's current financial woes, however, one shouldn't expect that to come out any time soon.

Google news is a friend:
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=u … tnG=Search
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=u … earch+News

Last edited by EdT (03/22/07 17:03)

#22 03/23/07 17:03

Jon God

6 days

Jon-God.jpg

#23 03/28/07 21:03

EdT
Website

Another update:
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/sit … ewsLang=en

Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. to Webcast Annual Meeting of Stockholders

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO) announced today that the Company will provide a live listen-only simulcast of the Annual Meeting of Stockholders on Thursday, March 29, 2007 at 4:00 p.m. EDT. The simulcast will be available via the internet only by visiting http://ir.take2games.com.

Couple more articles:
http://www.reuters.com/article/technolo … 0120070328

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/1014.html

Last edited by EdT (03/28/07 21:03)

#24 03/29/07 20:03

EdT
Website

#25 03/30/07 07:03

s10k
Website

EDT, let's wait now that Dissident shareholders realease a oni2. tongue Let's send them emails requesting.

Board footer