Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#101 09/27/08 14:09

EdT
Website

Re: Learning to make models

It looks like you did not setup the parent child relationship or the centerpoint for each body part is off.

The best thing to do is to extract on ONCC as dae and look at it in your 3D program, then you will be able to see the relationship of each part.

#102 09/27/08 14:09

ONIrules

I see it now. The bones looked like the one in my screenshot. The polygon is liked doubled. Now I need to make the bones go back to the right place rite?

Last edited by ONIrules (09/27/08 14:09)

#103 09/27/08 15:09

Gumby

Just checking, if you move his hands and feet around, do the arms and legs rotate properly? In other words, is the bone structure the same as any other Oni character?

Last edited by Gumby (09/27/08 15:09)

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#104 09/27/08 15:09

ONIrules

I used chief and the blackops. I switch the blackops: biceps, calfs, and thighs with chief's, to make it a bit more armored.

Update:

Heres the file>> http://drop.io/ONIrules  >> TCTF_marine.zip

Please redownload file. Updated a few things

Last edited by ONIrules (09/27/08 15:09)

#105 09/27/08 16:09

EdT
Website

I see a couple things wrong, if you click on a body part like the bicep, the center point is at the middle of the body, not at the end of the bicep.  Think of the center point as where the body part will rotate.

Next the rotation of each body part is wrong. Did you first export as OBJ then converted it to DAE?

The only way to explain it, is for you to extract once again the chief and blackops as DAE using either the command -extract:dae collada ONCCetc.oni or -extract:dae collada -noanim ONCCetc.oni.  Now as you select each body part, you should see where the center point is located.  If you simply swap the body parts and do not change the position of the body parts its should import correctly back to Oni.

Also, did you say making a character is 5 times harder than a weapon? I think its 50x harder. smile With a new weapon, you're just concerned about its scale and rotation.  But a character, you have to deal with 19 body parts, you have to set the correct scale and rotation for each, then each one has to have the correct parent child relationship.

Last edited by EdT (09/27/08 17:09)

#106 09/27/08 17:09

ONIrules

I extract level0_Final.dat  to all obj files. Then put it on ModTool, swapping bones and stuff. Then export it as a collada 1.4.1 (DAE file). Turn it to an Oni file. Make the TRMA and ONCC file and recombine all at once. Thats what I did.

Ouch............Making a character sure is backbreaking.........or konoko just breaked my back......OUCH!!:)

Update:

I see now. I export the 2 oni files. Blackops and MasterChief sure looks flexible!!!

Last edited by ONIrules (09/27/08 17:09)

#107 09/27/08 17:09

EdT
Website

That's the default orientation: http://wiki.oni2.net/AE:Importing_chara … rientation.  Each body part has a rotation of 0,0,0 along the x,y,z axis.

Now the only other issue you may have is the texture mapping with the Chief's body parts. The TXMP for the blackops parts may not map correctly to the Chief's parts.  That I don't know how to do...

Here's a tip to save time, put the new ONCC in any other level than level0, it will be quicker to rebuild that level than level0.  Then play that level and shapeshift to the new character.

Last edited by EdT (09/27/08 17:09)

#108 09/27/08 17:09

ONIrules

I though mapping was the same, but you can create a UV then I can try to map it using the chief's tex.

Still got problems. I export the 2 oni files to 2 daes.Then import it to modtool and see the default orientations of 2 chars. After swapping bones to make a total of 19 bones, I export it to single dae file. Turn it back to an ONI file and recombine. The bones are kinda combine, not spread out. Still, the character looks really odd.

I did it like this for the default orientation. Blackops bicep,calf,thigh, and foot is replaced and go this. 19 bones total.
011477724.jpg

Last edited by ONIrules (09/27/08 18:09)

#109 09/27/08 18:09

Gumby

The problem is with the translations, not the orientations, IIRC.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#110 09/27/08 18:09

EdT
Website

ONIrules: Please post your latest version.

#111 09/27/08 18:09

ONIrules

Gumby: Translation??
EdT: Here. http://drop.io/ONIrules  TCTF_marine.dae

#112 09/27/08 19:09

EdT
Website

Hmmm... you have a lot of extra stuff in that file. I see things such as M_pelvis, B_pelvis, that needs to be cleaned up and properly named.

#113 09/27/08 19:09

ONIrules

Yeh. When I extract the files, I renamed it to M as chief and B as the blackops. Just to make it short, so Ican type faster in command prompt. Now...what's the next step?

#114 09/27/08 19:09

EdT
Website

Rename all the body parts correctly and you need to fix the parent child relationship. The new thighs needs to be connected to the pelvis. The new shoulders needs to be connected neck, and the biceps attached to the new shoulders.

#115 09/27/08 19:09

ONIrules

Wait. Isn't the bones already connected? And how to rename?

Last edited by ONIrules (09/27/08 20:09)

#116 09/27/08 20:09

EdT
Website

Sorry, I don't have Mod Tools, so I don't know the terminology it uses.  But in Blender, I see M_right_thigh has as its parent M_pelvis, but the name of the pelvis is B_pelvis, so they are not attached.  For example, select B_pelvis and move it in some direction, you will notice that the thighs and shoulders are left behind.  So you have to find the command in Mod Tools to make the pelvis the parent of the thighs. and the neck as the parent of the shoulders.

#117 09/27/08 21:09

ONIrules

Well.. I have Blender too. I might have to get use it.

#118 09/27/08 21:09

EdT
Website

ModTools is much better than Blender!  You just need to figure out how to accomplish those tasks in ModTools.

#119 09/28/08 09:09

ONIrules

I wonder how you did the striker cyborg.

"Took about 15 minutes to create.  Exported ONCCstriker_hard_2 and ONCCninjabot as DAE, swapped the right arm and legs in a 3D program. Imported back as TRBSstriker_cyborg. Exported ONCCstriker_hard_2 as XML, changed TRMA link to TRMAstriker_cyborg, imported back as ONCCstriker_cyborg. Exported TRMAstriker_3_high_texture_generic as XML, changed the TXMP links to the ninjabot's TXMP, imported back as TRMAstriker_cyborg.  That's it!"

Maybe I can try to use the same way you did.....

Clues: Exporting as an ONCC...........................Wait......I think I export TRBS instead!!

Last edited by ONIrules (09/28/08 09:09)

#120 09/28/08 10:09

EdT
Website

Here's your TCTFmarine:
TCTFmarine.jpg

I did not make any changes to the TXMP, so you can see that they are not mapped correctly for the legs and shoulder.

Files: http://edt.oni2.net/AE_Files/TCTFmarineEdT.zip (I included the .oni, .dae and .fbx files for reference.  I use another program called Cheetah3D and it requires .fbx)

P.S. yes is took me about 15 minutes to make this.  Soon you'll be able to do the same.  Just stick with ModTools and you'll be able to do much more.  Maybe even level geometry editing one day!

P.S.S I don't think it makes a difference if you export ONCC or TRBS.  ONCC provides you with the TXMP, TRBS just gives you the geometry, in the default orientation.

Last edited by EdT (09/28/08 10:09)

#121 09/28/08 11:09

ONIrules

Hey!! That looks like me in the avatar!!! ^_^

EdT: Maybe making a step by step tutorial will help me and other people to do the same. Wiki sometimes confused me.

Oh forgot to mention, I used blackops lite to switch the body parts with chief. Sorry! I just used to refering blackops lite as blackops, but at least is char is better than nothing.

#122 09/28/08 12:09

EdT
Website

Since I don't have ModTools (I'm on a Mac), I can't give you an exact step by step tutorial. But generally this is how do swap body parts:

1) Export from Oni the TRBS of the characters you want. (-extract:dae <directory> TRBScharacter1.oni)
2) In a 3D program, open the TRBScharacter1.dae and TRBScharacter2.dae files.
3) Copy the body parts you want to replace from one file and paste them to the other.
4) If necesary, use the old body parts to position the new parts.  (If the 3D program allows, you can hide the other body parts, to make it easier to position the new parts.)
5) Delete the old body parts.  Make sure you do not have any duplicate parts.
6) You need to establish the relationship between the new parts and the original body parts.  This is known as the parent child relationship.  Here is the basic relationships fron child -> parent
    a) foot -> calf -> thigh -> pelvis
    b) fist -> biceps -> shoulder -> neck
    c) head -> neck
    d) neck -> chest -> mid -> pelvis
7) Import your file back to Oni (-create:trbs <directory> TRBScharacterNew)
8) You will need to create a new ONCC file that links to the new TRBS.
    a) Export  ONCCcharacter1.oni as.xml
    b) Look for this tag <BodySet>TRBScharacter1</BodySet> and change to <BodySet>TRBScharacterNew</BodySet>
    c) Look for the the line near the top  <Instance id="0" type="ONCC" name="character1"> and change to <Instance id="0" type="ONCC" name="characternew">
    d) Save the file as ONCCcharacternew.xml
    e) Import back to Oni.
9) Time saving tip: Save your new character in a level other that level0, this will save time as you make adjustments and need to rebuild the level to see the changes. Note: you can only shapeshift to that new character in that level.

#123 09/28/08 14:09

ONIrules

Thanks! Now the only problem that I got stuck with is the basic relationship. Even though I connected the bones, the names are different making the program thinks that they are not attach. Maybe that is why the bones are scattered every where. Everything else in the tutorial for me is fine.

#124 09/28/08 17:09

EdT
Website

Have you tried looking for tutorials for ModTools?  I'm sure there are instructions on how to setup the parent/child relationship. 

I know for me it was a lot of trial and error, but once you figure how to do things, its gets easier and quicker.  For example, now you are an expert weapons maker and you know how to work with the weapon's particles!

I'm interested to know what TIMESHIFTER w35_tsf will be like smile

#125 09/28/08 17:09

ONIrules

Thanks for complementing and thanks for the tip.

Timeshifter is the weapon I found in turbosquid.
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3ds … gun/317493

It cost $15, but hey, why not spend money on helping mod Oni smile. Plus it has texture map and polygons less than 700!! I'm still saving money though.

Board footer