Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 06/08/08 22:06

tehlulz576

Love the new Oni, here's a fun idea

Hi everyone, I used to play this game for hours when I was younger.  Glad to see it's back.

I had an idea called the Training Room if you don't already have it.  You would be placed in a very large room, and when you paused, you could select your charactor, your number of opponants, who they were, what guns and the quantity the room, fast/slow-motion etc.

Seems like a good idea to me, what do you think?

Thanks for taking the time~

EDIT: This game is now for OS X, right?  I remember an OS X patch was made, but you couldn't hit more than two buttons at once without your charactor freezing up and getting his/her ass kicked.  I really don't want to start up OS 9 every time I want to play Oni.

Last edited by tehlulz576 (06/08/08 22:06)

#2 06/08/08 23:06

Gumby

Re: Love the new Oni, here's a fun idea

It could be done. Difficulty level would be about medium. Maybe you can get one of the resident coders to do it...

...I'm a bit busy with other matters at the moment, so i cant help you, but in a week or two I will be much more free ^_^. I like doing small projects like this, and I need something to get myself back into coding. If nobody else can help you, once I'm free I will.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#3 06/08/08 23:06

EdT
Website

Here the link to the latest Mac version: http://edt.oni2.net/files/Oni.zip
Brief history of the updates: http://wiki.oni2.net/AE:OMNI

#4 06/08/08 23:06

tehlulz576

Thanks for looking into it guys, I don't know anything about coding, but I just thought I'd throw out some ideas.

Alright cool, I'll check the update history right now.

#5 06/09/08 00:06

Gumby

Ok, I lied. I will take your project on. Why? Because it sounds cool to me. But give me a week, ok? I'll do a bit tonight, test the waters, and we'll go from there.

It will probably be located in the Mountain Compound. Why? A nice large area (as long as the fix is working, can anyone confirm?), many different health levels to choose from (levels will probably be 50, 75, 100, 150, 200, 300, 400, 1200, and...some other reasons I haven't thought up of yet...

I do have a quick question for anyone who knows how to code...what was the name of the function that allowed you to change a character's class again? I can't seem to find it.

For those who are curious:
I will probably implement a menu that allows you to spawn any type of character like so:

Character Class
Striker, Elite, Boss, etc, etc

Difficulty
Brown, Blue, Red (Or Muro, Barabas, Mukade, for the boss class

Health
50, 75, 100, 150, 200, 300, 400, 1200

Weapons
Pistol, VDG, etc...

And then I will take the answers from all of these questions, and redirect it to a function that:

Spawns the character with the needed health
Changes their class (if possible, I might be high, and have remembered a function that doesn't exist)
Gives them the specified weapon
Teleports them to the correct location

Brings you to a menu where you can spawn more of the same person, create a new enemy, or start fighting.

It will also (hopefully) keep track of how many enemies are still alive so you can go crazy and not have to worry about crashing Oni...

Yes, I know how I am going to do this, but a lot of it hinges on that one function, without it, the health selection will be gone, and the enemies will be a bit more limited (probably to red, for simplicity of coding)

EDIT: Oh shoot. You are using a Mac. That means it will just be limited to red. A topic on checking the version of computer you are using will be coming soon.

Last edited by Gumby (06/09/08 00:06)

#6 06/09/08 12:06

s10k
Website

You can do it with a system similar to oni menu.

http://oniplayer.oni2.net/contents/down … 1118737301

#7 06/09/08 14:06

Barneyhater
Website

Gumby wrote:

I do have a quick question for anyone who knows how to code...what was the name of the function that allowed you to change a character's class again? I can't seem to find it.

I think its chr_set_class. An example would be chr_set_class 0 striker_easy_1. Unfortunately it only works for pc so yeah it is limited...
So mabye it would be easier for you to just pop up a message saying "Press f1 and type in shapeshifter. Then shapeshift into your character" or something like that. Then to chose your enemy you could line up a bunch of enemies and you could use the chr_wait_health command to wait until they get hit and when they do they get spawned... Something like that! Anyways heres a good website that could help:
http://ssg.oni2.net/

"It is not hatred but indifference that will destroy us." -Unknown
"One death is a tragedy. The death of a million is a statistic" -Joseph Stalin

#8 06/09/08 16:06

Gumby

Already know about ssg's site. Thanks for the set_class tip. That will be useful when I make the PC portion.

Don't worry, I know what I am doing (maybe tongue)

Last edited by Gumby (06/09/08 16:06)

#9 06/14/08 01:06

Gumby

Ok. Started on this today. The menu system is coming first.  that. Up and Down scroll through options, and left and right (or maybe punch and kick tongue) control  which level of the menu you are on. If anyone wants to see what I've got going on here it is:

#Menu starter. PRetty self explanitory. Only used for the very beginning.

func void menu_start(void)
{
fork dispmenu1(1)
fork screng
fork detbk; fork detfw
}

# scroller. if it detects that movvar changes (ie, you move forward or back) it sends a message to rotate the menu
func void screng(void)
{
sleep 1
if movvar eq 0
{
screng
}
fork rotmenu(movvar)
movvar = 0
screng
}

# Menu rotator. Rotates teh menu when called by screng. Calls a different function depending on where in the menu you are (dspmenu0-dispmenu9)
func void rotmenu(int value)
{
curplace - value = curplace
if curplace = 1
{
dispmenu1
}
##NEED MORE DISPMENU FUNCTIONS!!!##
}

#refreshes the menu until the place in the menu changes (curplace or menulevel)
func void dispmenu1(int menlvl)
{
if menulevel eq menlvl
{
if curplace = 1
{
dmsg item9
dmsg item0
dmsg item1b
dmsg item2
dmsg item3
wait 2000
dispmenu1(menlvl)
}
}
}

# Movement detector

func void detbk(void)
{
chr_wait_animation 0 KONSPRrun_bk
movvar = -1
detbk
}
func void detfw(void)
{
chr_wait_animation 0 KONSPRrun_fw
movvar = 1
detfw
}

Right now it is partially done. It needs more work, I know. I don't even think I have enough to test it yet big_smile

#10 06/16/08 14:06

Gumby

Hey. I'm almost done with this thing (the Mac\"basic" portion anyways, the windows will have a few more features).

Just working out a kink in managing characters that were "force" spawned. I won't have this issue in the Windows version.

I'm just waiting for a PM from Script1000 before I go with plan B, which will be a bit less flexible.

Board footer