Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/17/08 07:05

Mango

Another Intel Problem

Hey everyone. Been looking for an excuse to head back to this place for some time now. I can already see there's a lot of new faces.

Well I found that excuse. As the heading suggests, I've got a problem on an Intel mac. It's a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Aluminium iMac with a 256mb ATI Radeon HD2600 that I got late last year. I loaded Oni onto it and have used the Oni Intel fix, and dev mode intel fix.

The game loads fine, but when I actually enter a level, the mouse movement seems broken up and intermittent, and unfortunately makes the game unbearable. I've tried on different resolutions in both Oni and OS X, but the problem remains the same.

I have a feeling it has something to do with my graphics card: in the main menu the mouse behaves normally.

Thanks everyone!

PS: The intro movie doesn't display either. There's the sounds, but no visuals. Otherwise, there are no anomalies during startup. I can post my startup.txt, but I didn't notice anything strange when looking at it.

Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!!

oniuserbaren4.png

#2 05/17/08 08:05

EdT
Website

Re: Another Intel Problem

Mango: Welcome back! 

Try this (From the Troubleshooting page on the wiki)

Oni plays poorly on my Mac under Leopard. The controls cut out occasionally.
Running a Carbon app in the background has been observed to fix this problem. The app doesn't need to do anything; you can just leave it open and then open Oni. If you don't know what a Carbon app is or if you have one, just download this one, it worked for one Mac user: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9830

#3 05/19/08 03:05

Mango

Well that certainly fixed it a little, however there's still traces of the problem.
Having played some games on Boot Camp where I have to set the Affinity to 1 core, I was wondering whether there was some way of trying this in OS X. I tried Deus Ex where there is a similar problem, but I am able to overcome it. Or could I just try running more carbon apps in the background tongue

Last edited by Mango (05/19/08 03:05)

oniuserbaren4.png

#4 05/19/08 09:05

Iritscen

You're the first person aside from me to report that problem, Mango.  But for me, running a Carbon app (did you try the one I linked to in the wiki, or another one?) fixed the problem 95%.  Before upgrading to Leopard, I didn't have the massive problem with the controls, but I had small interruptions, and so, by running 0SEx, I've gotten back to only having the small glitches.

Re: setting core affinity, I hadn't even heard of it before reading your post smile  A little Googling indicates that only Window/Linux users seem to be able to do that.

Do you have Snapz Pro X?  If not, you can still download it and demo it for a while.  Try using it to record a movie of Oni.  If you have the same experience I did, Oni will play with few or no problems while it records.

Also, yes, you could try running more Carbon apps; I haven't tried this, but it may in fact help.

Finally, if the problem you were having, at its worst, is designated "100%", then what percent of the problem are you having with 0SEx open in the background?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#5 05/21/08 02:05

Mango

Well I duplicated OSEx and ran 2 at once. While it did in fact help the mouse out, the frame rate dropped considerable. The problem is about 80% for me with one of them open. It's still pretty small now, but remains irritating.

oniuserbaren4.png

#6 05/21/08 08:05

Iritscen

I don't know, maybe it hasn't gotten as bad for you as it was for me, but 80% of the problem that I had would still make Oni unplayable.  And I guess 0SEx just hogs too much CPU to run two copies of it.  But have you tried Snapz Pro?  You can set it to record 1 frame a second, and it might still help as much as if you set it to record 15fps like I have done.  I only discovered it fixed the problem by accident, and I don't regularly use it to help Oni, as 0SEx is enough for me and Snapz Pro takes up lots of HD space while recording (which you reclaim afterwards by deleting the recording instead of saving it).  But it solved the problem as well as 0SEx did (down to about 5% of the problem in both cases), so I'm curious to see how it helps you.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#7 05/21/08 08:05

EdT
Website

Mango: This is a longshot, try plugging in your keyboard to a different USB port.  I heard recently on a podcasr, that on the MacBook and MacBook Pro, the USB ports are different.  One provides full power and the other does not.

Board footer