Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/29/08 17:02

s10k
Website

Translate the subtitles?

Hello,

I have searched but found nothing.. Wich files should I extract and edit, to I translate my oni subtitles to my native language?

I tried extract SUBT files but no sucess at editing (4 kb only each?)

Thanks.

#2 02/29/08 17:02

geyser
Website

Re: Translate the subtitles?

What did you extract them with? OUP? The point is that the text strings are stored in the RAW part, pointed to from the DAT.
If you have the Edition, you'll find SUBTmessages.oni and SUBTsubtitles.oni in [Oni\edition\GameDataFolder\level0_Final]
The respective sizes are about 10 and 50 kB. The 4kB you mention are probably the size of the DAT part alone.

Note that it's not straightforward to edit the SUBT in hex, because you have to update the pointers to the strings.
I developed on the underlying problems here: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … 1558#p1558
Clearly, you're better off processing the SUBT file into an ASCII file and back, with some pretty simple program.
I haven't written that program yet, and Neo has no -extract/-import support for SUBT, either. That may change.

Last edited by geyser (02/29/08 18:02)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#3 02/29/08 17:02

s10k
Website

I used OniUnPacker, not sure if I extracted them correctly.

#4 02/29/08 18:02

geyser
Website

Actually the latest version of OUP should let you edit the SUBT in-place with a nice dialog and no hex-editing. Checking...

EDIT: Nope, no dice. Alloc planned to add that feature to the "Meta-Editor" but looks like it's still broken at the moment.

Last edited by geyser (02/29/08 18:02)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#5 02/29/08 18:02

s10k
Website

So any ideas to edit them currently?

#6 02/29/08 19:02

geyser
Website

No. I'll bump this thread when we have something you can use.

#7 03/01/08 04:03

s10k
Website

geyser wrote:

No. I'll bump this thread when we have something you can use.

Ok. Thank you.

#8 03/02/08 22:03

geyser
Website

Here's a new version of OniSplit that lets you export SUBT files as text files and reimport them: http://geyser.oni2.net/TEMP/OniSplit.exe
You extract the subtitles, e.g., by going to Oni\edition\GameDataFolder and typing:

..\install\OniSplit.exe -extract:txt SUBT level0_Final\SUBTsubtitles.oni

This places the output text file into Oni\edition\GameDataFolder\SUBT\SUBTsubtitles.txt
Once you're done editing the text file, you can type (from Oni\edition\GameDataFolder again, for example):

..\install\OniSplit.exe -create:subt SUBT SUBT\SUBTsubtitles.txt

This places the new .oni file into Oni\edition\GameDataFolder\SUBT\SUBTsubtitles.oni
You can then use that file to replace the original one (in the level0_Final folder) and then rerun step9999.bat

#9 03/10/08 14:03

s10k
Website

Nice, I will try translate them, I can put it here then, if you are interested.

#10 03/10/08 15:03

s10k
Website

Hello,
I tried extract/edit and recompile and I did it sucefull.

However, I have one problem.

Seems my oni doesn't support the follow accents:

´`^etc..

Did you have any oni.exe file that support them? Thanks.

#11 03/10/08 16:03

geyser
Website

The "standard" English version of Oni is actually Japanese, and treats upper ASCII as control sequences for hieroglyphs. Accentuated Latin characters or Cyrillic text won't work with that engine (the strings will be broken at the first offending char).
There are a few versions of the engine that were shipped with European localizations: French, Italian, German, Hungarian. Those recognize upper-ASCII characters, but they are not supported by the Daodan DLL or even Ian's anti-blam patcher.
The Russian version supports upper-ASCII and comes with a Daodan DLL. However, a few engine-resident messages wil appear in Russian ("Save Point", cheat code confirmations, etc) and the Dev Mode will fail to display some useful information.
So if you really want to use accentuated characters (think again), you probably want to get the Russian engine: http://geyser.oni2.net/EXE/pc.buka

#12 03/10/08 16:03

s10k
Website

I tested russian version and seems it recognise some but not all chars. And deform others.

I think I will translate it without accents.

#13 03/10/08 16:03

geyser
Website

If you want us to investigate, please make a list of unrecognized and "deformed" characters.

Board footer