Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/22/08 12:02

TOCS

'Reflective' with GIMP

Ok, i tryed doing that with the alpha mask and compiled the BicepR as a "-format:bgra4444 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksarmor" and then the whole arm got shiny, so i dont know realy how to handle this, maybe some of you guys could give me some screenies on how?

#2 02/22/08 22:02

EdT
Website

Re: 'Reflective' with GIMP

Rexxar:

As geyser mentioned, you will need to paint on the Alpha channel to control what part of the image is reflective.  See the attached image.  As you can see the letters TCTF are in black so then the letters are not reflective.  However, the gray and white areas will be reflective.  White being the greatest, black the least and gray in-between.

AlphaKonoko.jpg

Hope this helps

#3 02/23/08 03:02

TOCS

Ok, i figured it out now, and dont worry, i will improve my work so it looks like the other parts that's shiny:

strikergreenruz7.th.png

#4 02/23/08 05:02

TOCS

Hmm, for some reason when i edit the parts, the green colors gets messed up, and looks like JPG for something:

strikergreenrgd2.th.png

I dont know, i can try editing it as .PNG instead of .TGA

#5 02/23/08 18:02

geyser
Website

@ EdT: 256x256? Did you upsample her chestpack texture or what?

@ Rexxar:
A good start with the extra reflectivity. So, Konoko's too boring? wink

The TGA format shouldn't mess up the colors any more than PNG...
There is an issue with the color depth, but it shouldn't matter much.

The arms look OK to me, so I'd blame the thighs on human error.

Last edited by geyser (02/23/08 18:02)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#6 02/24/08 03:02

TOCS

So, how could i change the deph then?

#7 02/24/08 13:02

geyser
Website

Like I said, I don't think color depth is the matter here. You just messed up somewhere when doing the thighs, and didn't mess up while doing the arms.

The TGA and PNG exported by the GIMP typically have 24-bit color (256 values for red, green, blue). That's 16777216 colors (times 256 shades of alpha).
If you export in DDS, you can specify more varied color depths, for example, R5G5B5A1 (32768 colors, 1-bit alpha)or R4G4B4A4 (4096 colors, 4-bit alpha).

The colors stored in the image you save with GIMP are then converted by OniSplit into one of Oni's internal formats, that may have a different color depth.
That's where things may go wrong. If there is a problem here with OniSplit, you shouldn't find ways around it. Rather, you should reproduce it and report it.

Are you positive that the color of the thighs is "messed-up" no matter how carefully you edit and save the original textures? What if you save without editing?
Also, it may be a good idea to provide us with the problematic image files: the original TXMP*.oni, the extracted TGA, the edited TGA, and the imported TXMP.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#8 02/24/08 22:02

EdT
Website

geyser: Yes, I increased the resolution to 256x256, but haven't done much more.  Too many things to do. sad

Board footer