Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 04/14/08 08:04

Iritscen

Re: Oni-flavored Spartan

Cool, look forward to hearing how this works out.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#27 04/14/08 12:04

owldreamer
Website

Please redownload the file, I added an fbx version to the zip archive.

Best Regards!

#28 04/15/08 00:04

EdT
Website

owldreamer: I have a question, what is the advantage of using the .fbx format vs .3ds?

If you're interested, take a look at this page: http://wiki.oni2.net/Talk:OniSplit
That's where you can see the discussion about importing the TRBS files into Oni.

There are issues when importing new 3D models into Oni, so far, I have not been able to successfully import the Masterchief into the game.

Last edited by EdT (04/15/08 00:04)

#29 04/15/08 09:04

owldreamer
Website

fbx format can contain a lot more informations (shaders, camera, textures, bones, weight maps, detailed lightning and so on). Nevertheless fbx still is a bit buggy with some exporters/importers and therefore I offered both versions.

I`m not sure about the issues you mentioned. Just let me know what you want me to change. Are the normal vectors of the triangles ok now?

The reason there is no texture information is because I still have to add/remove triangles for animation purpose. To create a texture map everytime is not usefull in an early state...

#30 04/15/08 10:04

EdT
Website

owldreamer: Neo was able to get a working Masterchief into Oni. One problem has to do with texture cordinates.
As he states:

As for adding texture maps: the problem is that the current texture coordinates are sort of broken and Oni does not like them. Once someone fixes the coordinates it will work. What's broken about them? Some coordinate are outside of 0..1 range and Oni does not seem to like that.

Is this something that you can fix?

#31 04/15/08 14:04

owldreamer
Website

hm could be various problems there.
Try this one Get me

I deleted all uvw maps and frozed triangles and created one material for all body parts with only "color" enabled.

Last edited by owldreamer (04/15/08 14:04)

#32 04/16/08 01:04

EdT
Website

owldreamer: Is it possible for you to fix the texture coordinates for each body part to be inside the 0..1 range?  Without the texture coordinates, the body part can be a single color.  If the texture coordinates can be fixed then at least we could use an image file that has some texture, random noise, camoflague, etc.  Then at least the body part won't look flat.  As you stated, there is no need to UV map the parts in the early stages.

Thanks.

#33 04/16/08 10:04

EdT
Website

owldreamer: I have a selfish request smile

In your original file of the Masterchief, if possible, can you do the following before exporting MC (or any other future models) to FBX:
1) Rename the body parts to their correct names.
2) Set the proper center point for each body part.
3) Set the parent-child relationships for each.
4) Fix the texture coordinates to the proper range. (As requested in the previous post)

The reason I ask, is that each time you send me a revised model, I have to go through steps 1-3 to prepare the model for importing to Oni. 

As a template, here are the files for Konoko k4_K in FBX format.
http://edt.oni2.net/3D/k4_K.zip

This was exported from Oni as a Collada file and then converted to FBX using the FBX converter that Neo found:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/in … id=6839916  It comes in Windows, Mac and Linux version.

Thank you.

#34 04/18/08 09:04

owldreamer
Website

Hi EdT

Point 1 and 2 shouldn`t be a problem, thought the names I used were the correct ones.
About point 3 will the reference you mentioned show me the right hirarchy?

About point 4:
This one is a little tricky cause I simply do not know what a texture coordinate range could be. I have to check on that first.

So far
best regards

#35 04/18/08 10:04

EdT
Website

owldreamer: Thank you for looking into my requests. 

Yes, the reference model shows the correct names and hierarchy.
When you look at the Konoko model, you will notice that its pose is really odd, compared to a standard 3D pose.  I asked Neo if its possible for Onisplit to automatically correct the rotation of the parts, waiting for his response.

Also, through testing the Masterchief model, I found out that only the neck's texture coordinates is out of range, the rest are fine.

Finally, I noticed that on the chest and thighs there are small triangles on the surface which seem to serve no purpose, so I have been deleting them.

Board footer