Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/21/08 16:02

geyser
Website

Car 960

Regardless of the eventual role to be played by BGI in the Edition, there's a very well-defined and sorta related objective.
There is one (1) object in Oni that is not textured properly. Actually, the texture supposed to go with it is missing from Oni.

Any other day I'd let you guess or remember, but today... It's one of the cars from the intro of Chapter 4 (Airport Assault).
Unlike the rest of Oni's cars (small and/or lame boxes on wheels), this one is quite large and powerful: it's a big sports car.
It's about to drive away as Konoko catches up with Muro, and then mysteriously vacates the premises in the next seconds.

Right now, it looks like this: http://geyser.oni2.net/pics/screenshots … astard.jpg
And I want it to look like this: http://arabam.milliyet.com.tr/fuar/2004 … ot_907.jpg

I've already tried a 100% black texture and it already looks better and quite intimidating.
I can imagine it would look gorgeous with environment mapping and mesh/texture details.
Let's turn an unremarkable, messed-up car into an element that will make people wonder.

The obvious advantage of this project is that the new mesh/texture is readily importable.
Just make sure the spacing between the axles is the same as for the original car's mesh.
Those who have Oni installed are encouraged to try and rip M3GMcar960 on their own.
Here's the OBJ for the rest of you: http://onimia.ru/forum/attachment.php?item=109

Last edited by geyser (03/02/08 21:03)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#2 02/25/08 09:02

Iritscen

Re: Car 960

Yeah, that's a good idea; I might find the time to try this, but if someone else wants to jump right in, then don't mind me, because this week is getting quite busy for me.  I've got plenty of Oni stuff on my plate already.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 02/25/08 19:02

EdT
Website

Hmmm... why does the car look like this in obj viewer?

car.jpg

#4 02/25/08 19:02

geyser
Website

If you mean the orientation - the cutscene objects use a different convention than the characters.
My most recent viewer (uploading soon) has a key that lets you set X, Y or Z as the "up" direction.

If you mean the texture - the car appears exactly as it does ingame, with the exact same texture.
It looks like the guy started making UVs for it (probably not for that texture) and never finished...

EDIT: No, actually it looks like the UV map is pretty much done, it's just the texture that's missing.

Last edited by geyser (02/25/08 20:02)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#5 02/25/08 22:02

EdT
Website

I see what you mean:

car2.jpg

car1.jpg

Real quality work smile

#6 02/25/08 23:02

geyser
Website

Heh, yeah, those mini-cars both have correct UVs, but very messed-up normals on the wheels...
The wheels are actually there, they're just not drawn because of those messed-up face normals.

As for the sports car... I can release the UV stamp, but a revised mesh would be even better.

#7 02/26/08 09:02

Iritscen

Wow, I feel dumb for never noticing the car with another car wrapped around it and the wheelless hoverbox car.

#8 02/26/08 10:02

EdT
Website

geyser: Can you post the UV stamp, I would like to see it.  Maybe I can start learning a little about 3D.

Iritscen: Well, the cars were only visible in the cutscenes.  I just made a small script to put the cars in the scene.

Last edited by EdT (02/26/08 10:02)

#9 02/27/08 22:02

EdT
Website

Here's a quick attempt to texture the car (Don't laugh):

car960mod.jpg

and this is the UV map I used:

Car960UVmap.jpg

#10 02/28/08 09:02

Iritscen

Those textures have promise.  Unfortunately, I don't know UV mapping very well, so I can't help with that part.  But I just wanted to throw in my two cents.

#11 02/28/08 11:02

EdT
Website

Well, I have no experience with UV mapping either, but I thought I'd give it a try. smile

#12 02/28/08 11:02

geyser
Website

@ Iritscen: "I don't know UV mapping very well, so I can't help with that part." Huh neutral
If you want to retexture anything in Oni. Anything at all. You'll eat a whole lot of UVs.
At least the notion of a UV map is something you should really get familiar with. Soon.

@ Ed: Where did you get the UV map?

Last edited by geyser (02/28/08 11:02)

#13 02/28/08 14:02

EdT
Website

I'm using a free trial version of AC3D its available for Windows, Linux and Mac.
http://www.inivis.com/

The UV map was easy to get, I like the program, except when I try to open up any ONCC .obj file, it imports it as a single object, though I might be doing something wrong.

#14 02/28/08 15:02

Iritscen

At least the notion of a UV map is something you should really get familiar with. Soon.

I definitely plan to.

#15 03/01/08 22:03

EdT
Website

I hope you guys will like this:

car960a.jpg

car960b.jpg

It still needs some more tweaking, but its hard since the UV map really distorts the top part of the car and the front.

#16 03/02/08 05:03

s10k
Website

Nice car edt. I like it very much. It will be good for muro.

#17 03/02/08 06:03

geyser
Website

No, it's not Muro's car. It's that of Muro's worst enemy wink
BTW, Muro needs a cooler-looking van. The one in On kinda sucks.

Indeed, Ed, it's about as nice as it can get with those UVs. The sides and rear fit nearly perfectly, but the hood, front and windows need to be adjusted somewhat creatively to match the colors on the sides. Almost certainly the UVs will have to be adjusted to get rid of the excessive distortion (and of course we can always use a completely new car model; there are plenty of low-poly cars on free CG sites).

#18 03/02/08 17:03

Iritscen

Nice.  Those aren't real reflections, right?  They're part of the textures, aren't they?  Are we not able to make cars reflective yet?  I'm not clear on how car textures are handled by Oni.  Even if we can't make it reflective, it already looks 20x better than the way it was.

That being said, as geyser mentioned, the UVs aren't really correct; I'm sure they never finished them the way they would have if they had more time (or cared more).  The canopy of the car and the front are simply too tall, or stretched.  How to fix that, I don't know without some experimentation.

#19 03/02/08 18:03

geyser
Website

We can add reflectivity to everything but the environment. As for the environment, if we really want reflectivity somewhere, we can resort to situation-specific hacks.
The canopy can be fixed rather easily by bringing the 8 innermost texture vertices closer to each other horizontally (thus making the roof narrower on the UV map).
The front of the car is not dramatically stretched, and in any case it can be fixed by taking the topmost texture vertices upwards, to the very edge of the UV map.
More generally, one would still have to either adapt the texture vertices to the elements on the texture or tweak the texture itself to make the seams work better.
For example, the top of the front fenders is light, which doesn't match with the dark hood. The light top of the doors, cut off by the seam, clashes with the canopy.

In a way, I have a feeling it would be much more rewarding to import a much more higher-poly car from scratch. I'm sure there are lots of suitable car meshes.

#20 03/02/08 18:03

EdT
Website

For those interested here is the original file for the TXMP.  Of course you will need to scale it down to 256x256 to import into Oni.

http://edt.oni2.net/AE/TXMPCAR_B01.tga

Hopefully, I'll have some time to tweak the textures and fix the problems.  But if someone else wants to work on it, go ahead.
Anyways, it was a good exercise in learning about texture mapping.

Last edited by EdT (03/02/08 18:03)

#21 03/02/08 20:03

geyser
Website

Like I said, I'm keen on using another car altogether. Sorry, Ed, but like you said it's the practice that matters smile

My personal favorite so far is the "almost famous" DMC DeLorean: http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/I … ?id=273052

The simple shape of the DeLorean allows for a very realistic look (complete with interior) within a record vertex count.
An angular shape also fits in better with Oni's cars than that sleek Peugeot 907 concept car or Ed's Mazda or whatever.

The UV and texture are perfect, but I'd give it a fancy black finish and a few custom details (lights, decals, BGI theme).
It even comes with a transparency map (we'd obviously use it the other way round, for reflectivity, and not just glass).
We'll get rid of the interior, which will make the poly count even Oni-friendlier. We'll also make the "grid" double-sided.

Here's another good one, but it's not as distinctive as the DeLorean, and it only comes in proprietary 3DS formats:
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/I … /ID/310098

Then there's the Audi Avus, which slightly exceeds the maximum vertex count allowed by Oni so far (over 2048 UVs):
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/aud … del/365824
It has quite a potential, but requires a lot of work as compared to the DeLorean (from polygon merging to texturing).

Here's another one, more original and ordinary at the same time: http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/I … /ID/302272

So, whaddya say, guys? DeLorean FTW?

#22 03/02/08 20:03

Gumby

Yes! Please use it. The DeLorean is my favorite car! Every time I see one on the streets I must stop and check it out smile Put...it...in! Please!

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#23 03/02/08 21:03

Iritscen

I have to say, you have a point in saying that the DeLorean's angularity is more appropriate for Oni's boxy vehicle style.  And that is an '80s-riffic DeLorean, after all... so heck yeah.  (Lamborghinis would also look righteous.)

I have the most enthusiasm personally for revising the key character models, which I will be getting back to soon (probably while still on vacation), so I'm not volunteering to take on the car too.  But more power to whoever takes it on.

#24 03/02/08 21:03

geyser
Website

That settles it, then. Someone will release a trimmed OBJ soon enough (could even be me since there's no advanced editing involved here).
Then we can all brainstorm on the "tuning" details: somewhat more futuristic head- and rearlights, different grille or window inset, whatever.
The purpose of the event is to make the DeLorean less recognizable while giving it an Oni-like futuristic look. I think it's a very fun exercise.

"Lamborghinis would also look righteous." Well, I haven't seen a Countach yet, and the Gallardos and Murcielagos are "not angular enough".

#25 03/02/08 22:03

Iritscen

Yeah, I looked up the model lines and the Countach I always saw in my childhood was the one I was thinking of.  There's also the car which may possibly be the coolest in the world, the 1970 Lancia Stratos 0 prototype: http://youtube.com/watch?v=aA6bzF_QXIU smile smile smile

But let's not get sidetracked, we have the DeLorean in all its gull-winged glory to work with.

Edit: Trivia fact: The DeLorean has gone back into production as of July '07.  About $57,000 baseline price.  Start saving up your pennies!

Last edited by Iritscen (03/02/08 22:03)

Board footer