Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#51 02/13/08 06:02

TOCS

Re: OniSplit update

Duh, i just installed it, there were no chose able scripts at all. Nothing, just this.

#52 02/13/08 07:02

geyser
Website

OK... I'm downloading and installing 2.4.4 neutral
(expect some flaming if it works fine for me)
Then I'll start a "GIMP for dummies" thread.

Last edited by geyser (02/13/08 07:02)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#53 02/15/08 16:02

TOCS

Ok, i think i got it working now, but how do i import it so it has the 'reflectivity'? i tryed just replacing them in OUP did'nt work, then i tought it was becouse that i edited it, then i tryed replacing them with the orginal ones (the ones extracted with oni split) same result, so i think its the way OUP imports the files, so how would i import all the files to the level from my directory?

#54 02/15/08 20:02

geyser
Website

"so how would i import all the files to the level from my directory?" You have to do it file-by-file, either in OUP or with OniSplit.
I personally have been using OUP, with dummy "textures.dat/raw" generated just for the purpose of upgrading the textures...
However, OniSplit handles the target formats better, so you can write a small .bat script for every set of textures and run it.
Something like:

C:/OniSplit/onisplit.exe -create:txmp output -format:bgra4444 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksarmor KonokoChestByRexxar.tga
C:/OniSplit/onisplit.exe -create:txmp output -format:bgra4444 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksface KonokoHeadByRexxar.tga
C:/OniSplit/onisplit.exe -create:txmp output -format:bgra5551 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksarmor KonokoShoulderByRexxar.tga
C:/OniSplit/onisplit.exe -create:txmp output -format:bgr555 -genmipmaps KonokoPelvisByRexxar.tga

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#55 02/16/08 06:02

TOCS

I tryed this, but it just creates a map called 'output' with nothing inside, your command dosent make sense :S
OniSplit.exe -create:txmp output -format:bgra4444 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksarmor TXMPSTR_EASY_1%2FSTRchestB.png
OniSplit.exe -create:txmp output -format:bgra4444 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksface TXMPSTR_EASY_1%2FSTRchest.png
OniSplit.exe -create:txmp output -format:bgra5551 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksarmor TXMPSTR_EASY_1%2FSTRcalfR.png
OniSplit.exe -create:txmp output -format:bgr555 -genmipmaps TXMPSTR_EASY_1%2FSTRbicepR.png

Last edited by TOCS (02/16/08 06:02)

#56 02/16/08 06:02

TOCS

And could you please talk in a more familiar language, since i am only 13. I have no idea on how CMD works, i only know a few commands.

#57 02/16/08 08:02

geyser
Website

Heh, the filenames of the TGA were just dummies that I expect you to fill in...

What you should be calling (from the command line or from a .bat script) is this:

OniSplit.exe -create:txmp output -format:bgra4444 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksarmor TXMPSTR_EASY_1%2FSTRchestB.png
OniSplit.exe -create:txmp output -format:bgra4444 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksface TXMPSTR_EASY_1%2FSTRchest.png
OniSplit.exe -create:txmp output -format:bgr555 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksarmor TXMPSTR_EASY_1%2FSTRcalfR.png
OniSplit.exe -create:txmp output -format:bgr555 -genmipmaps TXMPSTR_EASY_1%2FSTRbicepR.png

(assuming that OniSplit.exe and the PNG are visible from your current folder)
(and that you haven't added an alpha channel to STRcalfR, so it's still bgr555)
This will create a subfolder called "output" in your current folder for the *.oni
If you open that folder, you should see the 4 TXMP*.oni generated by OniSplit.

Instead of "output" you can use any kind of path, e.g., "C:\", "..", "."... Like:

OniSplit.exe -create:txmp . -format:bgra4444 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksarmor TXMPSTR_EASY_1%2FSTRchestB.png
OniSplit.exe -create:txmp . -format:bgra4444 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksface TXMPSTR_EASY_1%2FSTRchest.png
OniSplit.exe -create:txmp . -format:bgr555 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksarmor TXMPSTR_EASY_1%2FSTRcalfR.png
OniSplit.exe -create:txmp . -format:bgr555 -genmipmaps TXMPSTR_EASY_1%2FSTRbicepR.png

This will output the TXMP*.oni to the same folder as where the source PNG are.

Can you confirm that this works for you, and that the only problem with my above post was the placeholder names for the TGA?

"And could you please talk in a more familiar language, since i am only 13."
Oni modding is not rocket science, but it's rather sophisticated... Live with it.
I myself am 27 and not a native speaker, so it's hard to pick the right words.

#58 02/16/08 08:02

TOCS

It creates the .oni files.. But i dont know how to use them?

#59 02/16/08 09:02

geyser
Website

Hm. So the modded textures you produced earlier were directly imported with OUP?
The modified .oni files have to be combined with the other .oni to create "level files".

If you have the Anniversary Edition (any version), you should see the following:
In the folder [Oni\edition\GameDataFolder], there's a bunch of folders and files.
[IGMD] is for the level logic. level#_Final.dat and .raw are Oni's game content.
Then you have [level#_Final] folders: that's the game content "split" into .oni

In the latest version of the Edition, the Striker textures are in [level0_Final].
Just copy your newly generated .oni there (after backing up the original ones)
Then run [Oni\edition\install\step9999.bat] to rebuild the "finalized" level files.
Finally, run [Oni\edition\run_wind.bat] or [Oni\edition\run_full.bat] to test.

Last edited by geyser (02/16/08 09:02)

#60 02/16/08 09:02

TOCS

"Hm. So the modded textures you produced earlier were directly imported with OUP?"
Yes, i replaced them with the other ones.

I will respond if it works...

#61 02/16/08 09:02

TOCS

It works! but the calf is reflective lol, but its surely the format it got created with, so i think you'll need to give me another string tongue

#62 02/16/08 09:02

TOCS

Okay, i used this, now it works:

OniSplit.exe -create:txmp . -format:bgra4444 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksarmor TXMPSTR_EASY_1%2FSTRchestB.png
OniSplit.exe -create:txmp . -format:bgra4444 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksface TXMPSTR_EASY_1%2FSTRchest.png
OniSplit.exe -create:txmp . -format:bgr555 -genmipmaps TXMPSTR_EASY_1%2FSTRcalfR.png
OniSplit.exe -create:txmp . -format:bgr555 -genmipmaps TXMPSTR_EASY_1%2FSTRbicepR.png

#63 02/16/08 09:02

TOCS

And for some reason i change the TXMPenvksface to TXMPenvksarmor, since the body looks like the 'reflective' quality of the head, so i will soon be posting many skins for ya big_smile

or maybe its just me that is confused lol

Last edited by TOCS (02/16/08 09:02)

#64 02/16/08 09:02

TOCS

It would be great if i could just ONLY some files in the level without it needs to recombine every level and everything, but i am happy, so if it isent possible i dont care, since i used alot off my time to figure out this! smile

#65 02/16/08 10:02

geyser
Website

"It would be great if i could just ONLY some files in the level without it needs to recombine every level"
Yes, level 0 takes a lot of time to build, and it would be nicer if there was level0_Textures and such.
In the meantime, what you can do is to leave level0 alone and import your textures in level1_Final.
(obviously you'll have to use a custom call to OniSplit for that, not the default routine step9999.bat)

What will happen then is that your modded textures in level1 will locally override the global ones.
So the Strikers will appear with your textures, but only if you play the level you imported them in.
Since level1 etc take much less time to build than level0, that's a good solution for basic testing.
One you're done testing your stuff, you can move it to level0 again and rebuild the whole thing.

Last edited by geyser (02/16/08 10:02)

#66 02/16/08 10:02

TOCS

Thanks for all your advices, i dont understand why i did'nt figure this out long time ago.
Maybe if i have time i will make the furys metal parts reflective, if i can figure it out big_smile

#67 02/16/08 10:02

TOCS

I will still need a little help for 100% bug free skins, like, i have just made these green skins, they were fine and all, but, i did'nt edit the alpha channel, i just opended it and edit it with rotate colors, then i looked at it in paint (since its the only program that dosent mess with the skin) and it was green. I entered the game, and it looked fine, but not 100% bugfree since GIMP edits more on the body than it should.

So if i could edit the alpha channel it would be nice.

NOTE: Some days ago i tryed extracting all TXMPs in .TGA format, i could see everthing with Painshop Pro, so maybe, if can just edit it with that, i wont need the other GIMP advice tongue i'll see.

#68 04/09/08 08:04

EdT
Website

GREAT NEWS!!!

OniSplit 0.9.2 has been released! Now you can import and export TRBS files.  This means we can now modify the 3D character models in Oni.
Get it here: http://edt.oni2.net/OS/OniSplit_v0.9.2.zip

What's new.
-create:trbs option to create a TRBS file from a collada file
How to use:

onisplit -extract:dae some_dir level0_Final/ONCCkonoko_generic.oni

This will generate a ONCCkonoko_generic.dae collada file in the directory some_dir plus the tga texture files used by the specified character.

onisplit -create:trbs dest_dir some_dir\ONCCkonoko_generic.dae

This will create a TRBSkonoko_generic.oni file in dest_dir

Notes from Neo:
Blender's Collada importer/exporter is buggy and you need to add the options -noanim and -zup when extracting collada files for use with Blender:

onisplit -extract:dae some_dir -noanim -zup level0_Final/ONCCkonoko_generic.oni

-noanim prevents the export of the default idle animation. That's needed because Blender doesn't import animated objects correctly.
-zup exports a collada file with a coordinate system where Z axis points up instead of the default (Y up). This is needed because Blender uses Z up but the importer gets it wrong and convert to something else.

In the absence of the animation all bones are oriented along the X axis (no rotation applied to them) so the character will look kind of weird. You can rotate them any way you need/like, it won't affect the creation of TRBS files because only translations matter.
When exporting Collada files from Blender you need to select the "Triangles" option because OniSplit does not import polygons.

You can replace body parts by deleting existing ones and adding new ones but you need to set the parent bone and the name of the part correctly. In Blender you can see the bone hierarchy and names in the Outliner window.

Currently textures are exported to collada but they are ignored when importing. I'll add later an option to create TRMA files from some sort of input text file that specifies the images to be used.

If you are using XSI Mod Tool (that's what I use) you don't need/should specify the -zup option. While the collada file will load correctly in mod tool you won't be able to rotate the bones.

Blender's Collada importer is buggy chapter 2: it ignores the vertex normals so the model will look flat instead of smooth. Unfortunately this persists when exporting so the TRBS file will be flat too. I've no workaround for this. Maybe I'll try to fix that importer myself because the whole project appears to be somewhat dead.

TRBS files (can) contain different geometry for 5 different levels of detail. Currently OniSplit does not have any support for this. When exporting the highest LOD will be exported and when importing the same geometry will be used for all 5 levels. It's likely that in the future I'll add the possibility to export/import each level separatly.

If you want to create something from scratch (or use an existing model but that has not been exported from Oni) you need a couple of things:
You need to have 19 pieces of geometry that fit the body parts used by Oni: pelvis, mid, chest etc.

Those pieces of geometry need to be parented correctly, load a Collada file exported from Oni and see the Outliner window.
Geometries (or more correctly the scene nodes that cotain the geometries) need to be named correctly: pelvis, mid etc. Again, see the Outliner window with an existing Oni model loaded.
"Advanced" models that use skeletons/skinning won't work. Oni does not support such things.

You should also check the TRIA page for more stuff about character models in Oni.

As for what OniSplit creates: it creates all the needed M3GM, TRCM, TRIA and TRTA. TRBS files are self contained, you don't need anything else.
And yes, the simplest way to create an ONCC file for a new TRBS is to copy and modify an existing ONCC file. Since TRBS files are linked to by name you'll need to use a hex editor to modify the TRBS name that's inside the ONCC file (somewhere at the end, you can find it by looking for "TRBS"). The only problem you may encounter is that you need to pick an ONCC file that's linked to a TRBS which has a name that's equal or longer than the new TRBS name otherwise you won't have space in the file for the new name.

Last edited by EdT (04/09/08 21:04)

#69 04/09/08 09:04

Iritscen

AWESOME.  Being able to import my work as it progresses, to check it out in Oni, is going to reinvigorate my modeling work.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#70 04/09/08 14:04

owldreamer
Website

Now this is something!

I don't use Bleder or XSI and so I cannot make import tests. I have to rely on someone that can so I suggest to send tha masterchief model to you EdT? Can you import FBX?
I still have to modify the body blends, will try so in a few days the way geyser suggested.

#71 04/09/08 15:04

EdT
Website

owldreamer: Does your 3D program import and export to the Collada format? If so, then it will work with OniSplit.

I'm a newbie when it comes to 3D, I'm just starting to learn Blender to give this OniSplit update a try.  Though, it doesn't seem that Blender is able to import FBX.  So far, all I have done it to extract the TRBS for Konoko and import it into Blender. 

Iritiscen knows more about Blender, so he may be able to test it for you.

#72 04/10/08 08:04

Iritscen

I might be able to handle FBX; I have more than one 3D program, but I do use Blender primarily.  You can e-mail the file to me if you like, owldreamer.  But if you can export to Collada (.dae), then that's all you need to do.

I tried the import:trbs option last night, and OniSplit gave me a "No scene found" option.  I did use the -noanim and -zup switches.  Do you understand the issue there, Ed?  Would it help to upload the DAE file?  There's certainly plenty of data in it.  I can see that all the body parts are there.  The scene data's probably just mis-labeled for some reason, and changing one little thing would make it work.

P.S.: Neo still hasn't updated the -help text in OniSplit :-)  It omits quite a bit.

#73 04/10/08 10:04

EdT
Website

Iritscen: According to Neo, you need to select "Disabled Physics" and "Only Current Scene" when exporting from Blender.
So far I have not been able to import a new TRBS in Oni.  I'll try later today.

BTW, you can follow or add to the discussion about OniSplit on Neo's talk page.
http://wiki.oni2.net/User_talk:Neo

#74 04/10/08 10:04

Iritscen

Wow, I never even visited Neo's user or talk page before.  Had no idea there was a mile of dialogue there.  Actually, I was there a while ago, now that I think about it, but didn't realize there was ongoing OniSplit discussion.  I can say that I did click "only current scene" in one of my export attempts, but did not click "disabled physics".  I'll report back tomorrow on my progress tonight.  Also, I see he is churning out new OniSplit versions on like a daily basis.

#75 06/12/08 13:06

Coyote

I want to extract txmp files but I have little problem. I used this command:

onisplit -extract:png ../../TXMPfiles ../../GameDataFolder/level0_Final.dat

and there appeard following information: "Cannot create C:\Program Files\Oni\GameDataFolder\level0_Final.dat because a file or directory with the same name already exists...
What does it mean? I'm new to onisplit and I only wanted extract txmp files to .png. Help please smile

Does your blood burn when you kill? Mine does

Board footer