Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 02/07/08 17:02

geyser
Website

Re: OniSplit update

ku4um is right in that I used the word "hacker" in a more general sense than coder or binary freak.
All programmers are not hackers and vice-versa. "Hacking", for me, is sorta thinking around corners.
A hacker is also capable of adapting (to) the tools already at his disposal or creating workarounds...
Such an attitude means that there's just no stopping a "hacker" from doing what he feels like doing.
Artists who are completely lost beyond the frame of their favorite GUI are, well, not creative enough.
Or rather not creative in a broad enough sense, that encompasses inventivity and logic (or intuition).
This goes back to my comment on tutorials up there: tutorials only teach people how to mess around.
There's no teaching when it comes to actually creating something worthy based on all that knowledge.

Oh, and I don't like the left/right brain classification. Maybe it's not BS, but it has always annoyed me.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#27 02/10/08 15:02

TOCS

So, im am new to this, please tell me an exactly noob guide on how to extract example something.txmp from level 0?

#28 02/10/08 23:02

EdT
Website

Rexxar: There are 2 ways you can extract the TXMP, you can use OniUnPacker:
http://wiki.oni2.net/OBD:OUP

Or if you tried Anniversary Edition, here are the steps:
1) Get the latest version of OniSplit 0.8.16 http://geyser.oni2.net/TEMP/OniSplit.exe
2) Replace the old version in your Oni/edition/install folder.
3) You will need to cd (change directory in the terminal) to the install folder.
4) To extract all the TXMP use the following command:
onisplit -extract:png ../../TXMPfiles ../../GameDataFolder/level0_Final.dat (PC users)
mono onisplit.exe -extract:tga ../../TXMPfiles ../../GameDataFolder/level0_Final.dat (Mac users)
5) Now all the TXMP will be located in the TXMPfiles Oni/TXMPfiles

#29 02/11/08 08:02

TOCS

I still dont understand, were should i write that command?
And what do you mean with change directory in terminal?

#30 02/11/08 08:02

TOCS

And i am new to CMD so please tell me what you mean with "..."

#31 02/11/08 08:02

TOCS

Ok, i got it extracted now, but the files from the Strikers are fcked up, its black and such when i open the files, like some of the heads, its just black were the head should be. its only a half chest piece and its just blacknend everywhere.

#32 02/11/08 08:02

TOCS

Sorry for 4 posting, just saw it was Irvanview that fcked it up lol sry

#33 02/11/08 09:02

TOCS

Again new problem when i open the ChestB and Chest its fcked up, only some of the metal is showing up, else it is just blank -.-

#34 02/11/08 09:02

EdT
Website

Rexxar: Can you post the files somewhere so we can see them? Maybe like http://www.esnips.com/.

#35 02/11/08 10:02

geyser
Website

Glad you figured out the rest of it. Now you only have to come to terms with that alpha channel everyone keeps talking about...
Try to complain less about "fcked up" things, because most of the time they actually aren't. We'd know if OniSplit was fcked up.

"Again new problem when i open the ChestB and Chest its fcked up, only some of the metal is showing up, else it is just blank -.-"
It's not blank, it's just pixels with zero alpha value. The alpha channel is typically shown as transparency in Irfanview and such.
You know the metal parts are shiny and everything else is not. You also know that alpha means reflectivity for these textures.
The result, when viewed as a 4-channel texture (red, green, blue, alpha) will be transparent except for those shiny metal parts.
The transparent pixels still have color values, though (unless your software screws it up: Paint.NET and Photoshop, for example).
You can edit the colors and the alpha channel separately, by decomposing the image into R,G,B,A, and then combining the RGB.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#36 02/11/08 11:02

TOCS

So, how can i see it in Photoshop, since i can see it in paint?
Or could i just extract with OUP from level0 and edit it and the copy it into the onisplit extracted one, i mean will it still be reflective, or is there any other way to do it?

#37 02/11/08 11:02

Iritscen

Photoshop has a channels window you have to have open.  Normally you will see R, G, and B channels (or C, M, Y, and K), but for extracted TXMPs you will also see an Alpha channel.  It's as easy to edit as any other channel.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#38 02/11/08 11:02

geyser
Website

The only problem with Photoshop may be that it discards the color information of a pixel whenever alpha is exactly zero.
I've heard that it sets the color to white then, but they might have fixed it since then. Just don't be surprised if it happens.

#39 02/12/08 05:02

TOCS

What'about Painshop Pro?
How does it work there?

#40 02/12/08 05:02

TOCS

I checked the channels there were only RGB nothing else... And i used ur method with Onisplit, extracted as PNG

#41 02/12/08 09:02

geyser
Website

I'm not using PaintShop Pro. I'm not using Photoshop. I'm using the Gimp, and that's it.
I know Photoshop used to screw up transparent pixels, and I know Paint.NET does it, too.

There are supposed to be 3 channels (RGB) for textures without environment mapping.
For shiny parts (helmets, shoulderplates etc), there are supposed to be 4 channels (RGBA).
OniSplit preserves the alpha channel for both TGA and PNG export. So it should be there.

If you view a Striker's chest and everything is "blank" except for the metal parts, it's OK.
It just means that the non-shiny parts are being interpreted as transparent (zero alpha).
If you can see that, then there are definitely 4 channels (RGBA), not 3 (RGB). Good luck.

#42 02/12/08 12:02

TOCS

Trust me, i can still only see 3 channels RGB.
And i would use GIMP if i could, but GIMP doesent has a "Colour Replacer" or "Colour Replacement Tool".

I tryed with Paintshop same result.

#43 02/12/08 13:02

Iritscen

What programs have you used to view the TXMPs?  Paintshop Pro (which none of us use or can help you with), and what else?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#44 02/12/08 16:02

geyser
Website

@ Rexxar: The GIMP's Filters/Colors/Maps/Colormap_Rotation does what you want.
http://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-rotate-colormap.html
Perhaps less nifty/"magical" than Photoshop or PSP, but it gives you a lot of control.

As for the tool you're using, I simply do not believe it doesn't handle alpha at all smile
Maybe give us a screenshot of the "fcked-up" texture once you load it in you tool.
Then we'll know exactly what fcked-up tool and what image we're talking about.

Last edited by geyser (02/12/08 21:02)

#45 02/13/08 04:02

TOCS

Hmpf, i still need to know the way i can Change the language... Since i can't translate "Filters/Colors/Maps/Colormap_Rotation" to Danish.

Please.

#46 02/13/08 05:02

TOCS

ok, i got the language changed... But i still cant find "Filters/Colors/Maps/Colormap_Rotation"

#47 02/13/08 06:02

geyser
Website

The Filters menu is the next to last, above the image you're editing.
Scroll down to Colors, then Map, then choose Colormap Rotation neutral
Colormap Rotation is available with the basic version of the GIMP
(it's a custom plugin, but I didn't have to download it separately)
If you can't find it, maybe your GIMP installation is incomplete.

#48 02/13/08 06:02

TOCS

There is no "Colors" there is only a Tab about to be next to Filter called "Colors"

#49 02/13/08 06:02

TOCS

This is all igot: http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?imag … guhsd4.jpg

btw i am using v2.4.3

Last edited by TOCS (02/13/08 06:02)

#50 02/13/08 06:02

geyser
Website

Thanks for reminding me to upgrade; I have 2.2.13 smile
You seem to have fewer Filters and no Scripts at all...
You probably have chosen a "Minimal" installation.

BTW, "the GIMP for dummies" is so off-topic here.
Follow-up expected in your Striker mod thread...

Last edited by geyser (02/13/08 06:02)

Board footer