Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#126 07/19/10 15:07

Lithium

Re: Oni 2

Iritscen wrote:

'Tis Commander Keen, right?  Never really played the games, but I know of them.  Kudos to oxe for knowing that since he's one of our younger members.

lol i was expecting a thumbs down but i got the reference form a Irate Gamer parody guy (who closed his account)
and theres nothing wrong with not knowing teh game gumby.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#127 07/19/10 17:07

Akumu

I don't really mind all this talk about my avatar, however this is the Oni2 topic.
So lets discuss Oni2, ok?

Ok, so who thinks it would be good if in Oni2 we get to see some childhood memories of Konoko?
I think it would be very important for the story.
In my vision of Oni2, finding Konoko´s memories is the main story.
However you will be hunted by both the TCTF who want Konoko back as their guinny-pigg, and the terrorists who now have a new leader.
You will have to fight your way through countless enemies in every part of the city to find and relive Konoko's memories.

#128 07/19/10 18:07

Lithium

hmm me i thought of having memories of konoko too. But i imagined the TCTF is gone and its surviving members took care of the defenseless and there were mutated Syndidcate leaders attacking. I also imagined a scene where Konoko confronts a revived muro. He walks around her in a circle then all of a sudden theres two muros walking around here, then 4 and it goes on for a while. But they're all unstable clones of him

#129 07/19/10 19:07

Iritscen

Akumu, have you gotten to read the wiki's material on Oni 2?  There's some interesting ideas there which take Oni 2 in a more organic, dark direction that I like.  She ends up exploring the Wilderness, for instance, which I think has a lot of potential.

I agree that we should re-visit her past some more, but I also want to see new enemies and new problems, not just Konoko vs. a Neo-Syndicate.  A story that's more shades-of-gray than just good vs. bad.

I'd particularly like to see the Daodan organism elaborated upon.  Hardy had some interesting ideas for the Oni sequel along those lines.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#130 07/19/10 21:07

Lithium

#131 07/20/10 02:07

Mukade

Yup, I want to know more about Daodan

What I think is one way to maybe learn a bit about Konokos past is have that part as training mission... even if it is sequel, its still its own game, and requires tutorial part. Similar to Fable, when you start, you are only a kid, could do something similar for Oni2, and take her, perhaps in a time lapse, so learn to run as a child, perhaps learn a to jump as tween, fight as a teen etc... And while you do that, the storyline is conncted to the actions you are learning to do.

What do you think?

@oxe, tbh I think the second part didn't flow very much at all with the first story, or even with Oni in general. I don't know, it just introduced so many things, for one thing, making someone a daodan host was an easy matter. At one point, I think they do it to a bunch of people that are just there, which didnt fit at all. Also it was being pulled in too many different directions.

Even the first one was getting out of hand although I REALLY liked the idea of a child born of a daodan host and a non-daodan host, that had some real potentiel! I'm sure others would agree, thats something that can be expanded. But otherwise, even the first joint story took alot of far fetched jumps, like James Hasegawa in stasis tongue Even turning Barabas over seemed a bit much. Wouldn't have been too bad, except that they just had to talk to him and give him the whole "what your doing is wrong" speech, and he turned, which seemed irrealistic

But yeah, daodan+nondaodan host child, whats peoples opinions on that as well?

Last edited by Mukade (07/20/10 02:07)

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#132 07/20/10 06:07

Iritscen

I know this Joint Story is on the wiki, but just to be clear, I was referring to the older material like http://wiki.oni2.net/Oni2:Truth_Number_Zero and the art under http://wiki.oni2.net/Category:Oni_2_concept_art .

As far as a Daodan host having a child with a non-host, I'm not sure it would be possible if the host were the woman.  Anyone familiar with Poison Ivy from Batman:TAS?  She's infertile because of her hyperimmune system; the Daodan might have the same effect.  If the host were the man, it's up for speculation whether any of his Daodan abilities would be carried into the womb.  Somewhat icky speculation, since we'd need to figure out first whether the Daodan can be transmitted between people, and if so, by what bodily fluids.

But I actually don't think the Daodan is contagious, because Oni doesn't mention that hosts can infect other people, and it sounds like a deliberate scientific process is needed to implant it in someone.  Most likely, passing contact with another host does not contain enough material to invade the body (our immune systems should be able to put up at least a little resistance).  It's only by implanting the Daodan chrysalis in a human that it begins to take over the body.

Now, what would happen if two hosts had a child, I'm not sure.  The child might be born with an advanced stage of the Daodan chrysalis, but what would this mean, when the child and Daodan have not had any experiences to shape their development yet?

#133 07/20/10 13:07

Mukade

All questions that I think would be fun to speculate on and come up with answers  lol

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#134 07/20/10 14:07

Lithium

Iritscen wrote:

I know this Joint Story is on the wiki, but just to be clear, I was referring to the older material like http://wiki.oni2.net/Oni2:Truth_Number_Zero and the art under http://wiki.oni2.net/Category:Oni_2_concept_art

Well i din't know it was on teh wiki

#135 09/07/10 03:09

owldreamer
Website

me neighter  tongue

#136 04/18/11 21:04

Masterweaver

Hey guys! I don't remember if this old thing has been brought up, but I must say it's a very developed idea!

Right, now for my own contribution: WHO IS MUKADE?
You remember that scientist? The guy with the island? He was working on retasking cells. Sounds similar to a certain chrysalis, don't it...? Oh, and THEY NEVER FOUND HIS BODY.

Fast forward to Hasegawa. There's this local geneticist who might have some advice on the thing he's working on (all science is built on previous discoveries!). So he goes over, they have a nice chat, the the geneticist calls his Syndicate buddies and says "there's this thing here you'll really be interested in!"

So, what is Mukade? He's not a daodan, but he is something very very close. The primary difference between him and a daodan is that the daodan is automatic and adaptive, whereas he has to go to his LAB O DOOM and activate the cellular retasking.... and it's totally preprogrammed, no mid-battle uploads! The fight between him and Mai wasn't two tigers, but a tiger and a panther. (Also he's pretty much guaranteed to survive for the sequel!)

And now, in Oni 2, who's he with? Nobody. He's an independent agent, and what he wants to do is get that daodan tech out to the public. But he hasn't been able to do it because (a)the folks in power keep it suppressed, and (b)Hasegawa personally subverts most of his digital attempts. Of course, that means that he gets to be a background manipulator in Oni 2, and might eventually trick one of the characters into getting Hasegawa close enough that he can HOLD THE MAN DOWN as he uses the intertubes to irrevocably spread the next stage in human evolution. But that's probably endgame material.

Just thoughts.

#137 04/19/11 00:04

Lithium

Masterweaver wrote:

So, what is Mukade?

1336626300_514b097807.jpg

#138 04/19/11 01:04

Leus
Website

I think it might be cool if, in Oni 2, the environmental toll had begun to take really serious effect, and there are lots of desperate factions of people trying to survive.  Some have made crude imitations of daodan chrysali, or perhaps their own concept altogether, maybe some are trying to get by based on drugs or mechanical enhancement?  There could be a lot of room for cool combat as well in such a degrading and violent world.

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#139 04/19/11 07:04

Masterweaver

((Yes, yes, I know about the bugs. Cute little guys, really...))

While I agree there should be multiple factions, and some interesting effects of the who environment degrading.... Again, drawing on the old idea, I think the world power is Meta (Syndicate brawn+WCG public relations). And the Rebel Power is Pheonix. Although there was a nice issue back in the old thread about the rebels splintering. And it could be distinctly fun to see portions of Meta acting against other portions of Meta. Politics, ha...

I flat out disagree about public Daodan, though. Primarily because I think the Powers that Be would be suppressing it or anything similar. However, cybernetics and other enhancements can't be ruled out; heck, throw a few robots in there!

#140 04/19/11 10:04

Leus
Website

I mean they'd try to suppress it, sure, but there's no way black market operations wouldn't start up.  Maybe not with genuine daodan chrysali, but someone trying to imitate them, and it probably wouldn't work the same way.  Maybe a popular line of them slowly make people become violent and crazy?  I mean, it's global crisis, people want to survive, they'll try anything.  Maybe one of the missions could involve the powers busting up such a black market operation.

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#141 04/19/11 11:04

Masterweaver

You forget that the Syndicate is pretty much the only source of Daodan at this point. TCTF has the tech, but they don't want to use it, and the Syndicate in "modern" times (Oni 2) would look back at Muro and his gang and say something like "Yeah, not taking that risk." At this point, the only person who (a)knows about Daodan, (b)wants it out in the public, and (c)might just have the power to do so is Mukade.

The genemod black market already existed in Oni, that's what the TCTF was fighting against, but Daodan is something completely different; anything from that angle will be limited (claws, muscles, maybe one or two "super" powers). Meta, due to its Syndicate roots, might allow that kind of tech.... to very SPECIFIC people. Pheonix is just too undersupplied to do anything that big.

#142 04/19/11 15:04

Jon God

Masterweaver wrote:

You forget that the Syndicate is pretty much the only source of Daodan at this point. TCTF has the tech, but they don't want to use it, and the Syndicate in "modern" times (Oni 2) would look back at Muro and his gang and say something like "Yeah, not taking that risk." At this point, the only person who (a)knows about Daodan, (b)wants it out in the public, and (c)might just have the power to do so is Mukade.

Having not read any of this topic, dead men don't tell tales.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#143 04/19/11 18:04

Masterweaver

It's generally agreed Mukade didn't die because he's awesome or something.

#144 04/19/11 19:04

Iritscen

Having one's neck broken is no guarantee that they're going to die, even if they don't have a Chrysalis.

#145 04/20/11 07:04

Delano762
Website

Iritscen wrote:

Having one's neck broken is no guarantee that they're going to die, even if they don't have a Chrysalis.

Ah, right. But, wait, Mukade got paralysed. And that means that this neck break obviously killed him.

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#146 04/20/11 08:04

paradox-01

Although the bone is broken a strong neck musculature and connective tissue can provide stability.  As long as the arteries and neural pathway are intact survival is possible.

According to a German news paper article Daniel Tiebe survived a neck break by car accident nine years without even knowing it. Of course that man had amazingly much luck so we shouldn't start thinking that a neck break isn't a lethal injury in most cases. ^_^

If Mukade was paralyzed one of his ninja / android followers could have picked him up and brought him to a hospital or wherever those guys can get treatment.

There are some IFs but his survival is not an impossible scenario. We could make a poll about him for an appearance in a sequel. Dunno.

#147 04/20/11 21:04

Jon God

Beyond wishing him to still be alive, I don't see how we have any evidence that he could still be alive.

I somehow doubt Konoko would just leave him if he was still alive there, (Like, still breathing and such). And if he was left alive, who would be there to rescue him, and bring him somewhere in time? There wasn't anyone else around at that point.

Jon-God.jpg

#148 04/21/11 02:04

paradox-01

Why should we have evidence? He's a sneaky ninja. Use your imagination. tongue
But if you think he is truely dead... Fine.

#149 04/21/11 09:04

Masterweaver

Evidence for death: Kersnap.

Counterpoint: Mai+acid that would certainly kill any normal human=not dead. Mai "feels" Mukade, which has led to the general Mukade Is Superhuman theory. ALSO it has been theorized the Mukade planned the whole Rooftops level; do you really think he wouldn't have been prepared to take massive damage?

But if he has to be rescued, off-screen ninjas. Seriously. They just wait till Mai leaves then hop over and medblast him.

#150 04/21/11 15:04

Jon God

By that, why don't we assume that Kerr, Griffin, Muro, and Shinitama are still alive by some means...

Kerr and Griffin could have also been fitted with with a chrisilis, Muro could have survived a fist fight, and who knows about a backup of Shinatama's programming.

As for Mukade planning it, I doubt it. I always got the feeling he had some destination, but was finally just cutoff/couldn't get away from Konoko, which is why he didn't just wait for her on the first roof.

Jon-God.jpg

Board footer