Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#76 04/12/10 17:04

pertinax

Re: Oni 2

Whatever mods and other development you guys are doing is awesome keep it up! I dunno anything about modding and all but surely this work might be difficult. Oni is a beautiful game game... worth a remake.

As regards the story discussion.... does it necessarily have to be the same main protagonist again? I mean people might have got bored...try something new like a prequel rather than a sequel...of how muro might have risen through the ranks of the syndicate from being exploited as a mere experiment to ruling it himself much unlike konoko who's just an agent.

#77 04/12/10 20:04

TheCreature

I like your idea, Pertinax.  Muro's ascension would be an interesting story, except we'd already know how it ends.:/ It would definitely reveal what happens/happened to Dr. Hasegawa.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#78 04/13/10 16:04

Satyr

TheCreature wrote:

I like your idea, Pertinax.  Muro's ascension would be an interesting story, except we'd already know how it ends.:/ It would definitely reveal what happens/happened to Dr. Hasegawa.

Hasegawa got killed by his own son, for standing in his way! yikes

Or he wanted to reveal to much to the public and authorities took him out!

Or he commited suicide over the painful loss of his beloved Jaime!

I think there are enough possibilities. ^^

#79 04/13/10 16:04

Samer
Website

or ...  http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … d=1087&p=6

post 145 ... our version of what happened to Dr. Hasegawa big_smile or James Hasegawa smile

who is available for download btw tongue and is in my avatar with Jamie

Last edited by Samer (04/13/10 16:04)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#80 04/13/10 16:04

Satyr

Samer wrote:

or ...  http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … d=1087&p=6

post 145 ... our version of what happened to Dr. Hasegawa big_smile or James Hasegawa smile

who is available for download btw tongue and is in my avatar with Jamie

Okay, I'm going to take some time and read the whole joint story sometime. But not now, almost off to bed. wink

As for the gameplay/setting of the game:

-implementing some minor RPG-elements could be cool: higher skill in energy/ballistic/meleeweapons or something.

-Like I said, meleeweapons.

-Freeroaming would be nice, imo. It would make the game less lineair. Or at least, it would give the illusion of not being lineair. Like Deus Ex did. The setting of this could be tightly packed city-areas, like streets/markets, with the possibility to enter buildings to complete missions. That way, melee combat will still be more handy than ranged combat.

-Third person is for fighting, first person is for shooting! ^^

-I would work out the Daodan powers more. Like when Konoko gets a daodan overload (or whatever you call it), you can choose for superhuman speed (slowmotion view, while konoko moves in real time), superhuman strength etc.. But those are just examples.

-I want that Iron Demon, damn it!  mad

-More interaction with the environment: being able to climb, grab ledges etc...

Those are just things I'd like to see in a next Oni-game, that I would find totally awesome. big_smile

#81 05/19/10 10:05

Hostpik

Oni 2 would be awesome. If Take Two is ever going to consider a sequel then I would like some more anime-cutscenes. Not all the time. The ingame cutscenes were awesome. But for example when there are some huge discoveries made.

Konoko: Muro, Stop
Muro: No
Konoko: ...Touché

#82 05/23/10 10:05

SCV

Truly Sad that Bungie really gone to Halo series and forgetting what stepping stone they made :*(

wish any Official Game Developer take the Oni license from Bungie. really really do want see this upcoming Oni2.

Most looking forward in this idea?

Surprise Me cause the first Oni story really did smile

#83 05/23/10 15:05

TOCS

I think we all want a sequel, but I don't think it's ever gonna happen.
By the way, do I sense the use of Google Translate, SCV? big_smile

#84 05/23/10 19:05

SCV

TOCS wrote:

I think we all want a sequel, but I don't think it's ever gonna happen.
By the way, do I sense the use of Google Translate, SCV? big_smile

errmm......nope, i maybe slow but i don't use translation. I can read you, Five by Five! TOCS!!!! smile

if you think Oni 2 never gonna happen.......i'll throw myself into pit of despair.

#85 05/23/10 19:05

Iritscen

Aw, don't do that smile  There's plenty of good stuff we can still do with Oni 1....

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#86 05/23/10 20:05

Ridrave

In my opinion: Oni + Valve engine = Oni 2, how cool

mycharactercreation1.gif

#87 05/24/10 04:05

SCV

Ridrave wrote:

In my opinion: Oni + Valve engine = Oni 2, how cool

i can agree with that, as valve engine is easy for my PC to run it without have to obtain heavy rig just for game like Modern warfare >_<:

#88 05/24/10 22:05

Hitman4Life

Hey everybody,

Im new here.
I can easily say Oni was one of the best games ever made in history.
Its so sad that while, some people loved it, while others (I might add stupid) hated it because they just couldnt play it.

I have finished my second year university in computer science, and currently work on debugging softwares. Therefore if there is any project to do an ONI 2, over the net, Id happily give 2-3 hrs a week, for the rest of my life to the cause. I would like to see a sequel or prequel, even if its after 2-3 years, or even more. I would just like to see one.

Cheers,
Hitman4Life

#89 05/24/10 22:05

Mukade

Yay! Anotha smart programmer/modder!! Gumby will be happy big_smile

Welcome to OCF man, enjoy your stay!

Oh, and as far as we know, there will be no Oni 2. However.... fans on this forum (and who knows, maybe others that arent) are working every day to improve the Oni that we already have. Have you tried the Anniversary Edition? Do it... it's worth it, and you'll see how much progress we've made. We're working to the point where we change Oni so much, that it looks like Oni 2 wink

Who knows, in the future, we may work on a fan-made Oni 2, however, I believe that's years in the making, perhaps decades.

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#90 05/24/10 23:05

Gumby

While I have no plans for Oni 2 in the near future, I am working on MP, when I get the chance. Do you know anything about assembly language or networking? Do you have YIM?

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#91 05/25/10 05:05

SCV

gumby double posted........is your network doing fine and dandy?

#92 05/25/10 06:05

Iritscen

He seems to do that sometimes... probably hitting Submit twice because he's impatient ^_^

#93 05/25/10 07:05

TOCS

I'm just happy that we'rent using some of the basic rule formulars here around. big_smile

#94 05/30/10 12:05

Hitman4Life

Ok, Ive been very busy with work, so I couldnt check the forum.

I know a bit of assembly language. (i.e LDA x, ADD 5, STA y => y = x+5). NOt sure what YIM is.

Id also like to know where can I find the anniversary edition

#95 05/30/10 12:05

Gumby

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#96 07/16/10 22:07

Akumu

Hi,

I'm new here.
I was just looking for some old games I used to play to see whatever happened to them.
Oni was one of the best games I've ever played, and one of the best games ever made.
Shure Konoko was no good with guns, but she kicked ass in melee.
I'd love to see an Oni2, it'll be great.
I've been waiting for a long time for it to come but Bungee is to buissy with their Halo, and Take-Two with things like GTA and Bioshock.

I do want to point out that gameplay has changed sins Oni and that it is going to change even more soon.
I expect all future games to have a SMART button like Brink.
Also the 3D seen is back from the 80's, movies and games will have multiple 3D render support, like Anaglyph.
Oni2 will have to be even more fast pased and intense as the original.
However the biggest difference with Oni (1) and Oni2 would be the setting and story.
The original Oni was released to late, back in the late 80's and early 90's the genre Cyberpunk was very popular.
However in the late 90's this genre died out almost completely.
So one of the big questions would be: Oni2 Cyberpunk for hardcore fans, or: Oni2 modernised for a wider and modern audience.

Things that are "IN" in games:
1. Interactive enviroments. (A great example is Mirrors Edge.)
2. Massive Multiplayer Online Games. (Although mostly RPG's the MMO genre is increasing, people like the community aspect in games, Note the fact that no FPS or TPS has been verry succesfull in the MMO scene.)
3. Extreme gore. (Todays games (Especially horror games) like to have lots and lots of gore Dead Space for example lets the player watch while their character dats devoured by monsters)
4. Open worlds. (GTA has a hure open world through which the player can walk freely)

As far as an Oni2 game is concerned I think we could scrape the MMO and Open world which are just to huge and difficult to make.
However an Interactive enviroment is a must.
Extreme gore can be nice in a game where both ranged and melee combat is the main focus.

How do you build a game when you have no money to buy expencive resources or a professional engine.
Use a free engine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines
(One of the better once seems to be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cafu_Engine)

There might not be many texture artists on Deviantart but there are probably sites for free textures.
A quick google: http://gpwiki.org/index.php/Game_Content_Resources
Another quick google: http://www.psionic3d.co.uk/?page_id=132

The world would probably be a huge thing to change, especially the architecture.
In Oni (1) the architecture is simular to that of sci-fi anime from the 90's. (Especially: Dirty pair, Armitage III which have the same look and feel as most Cyberpunk anime and games)
In the old days sci-fi cities were just big hunks of steel and concrete, which were based on the architecture of the 80's, Big square shapes, not much detail except for functional details like air ducts and network pluggs. http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/images/b … isis11.jpg
However modern sci-fi architecture is very different mostly sleek and detailed, rounded shapes, and lots of space and windows. http://images51.fotki.com/v424/photos/4 … lle-vi.jpg
Also the computer technology has improved by extremes. If you've seen sci-fi anime from the 90's you'll know what I mean.
Back than it was sci-fi if you got someones picture on a monitor, most of the computers than just showed shapes of objects.
In Dirty Pair the landing computer of their spacecraft the "lovely angel" looks a bit like early Star Wars games http://www.thocp.net/software/games/pic … _large.png
Today we play games that look "realistic" in our eyes, and with the comeback of 3D our current computer graphics are far beyond what they ever dreamed off in most cyberpunk anime.
To create a modern realistic sci-fi you must create vastly advanced computers, Floating screens and 3D interactive holograms.
So no more boring training room with bots, but realistic battle training on the holodeck.

One of the most important updates would be Konoko the heroine of the story.
Will she stay an anime based woman or will she get a touch of realism?

These are all things you'd have to think about when making a Oni2.
Again I would like to see Oni2, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Unless of course your thinking about making Oni2 by yourself or with a bunch of fans.

I would love to help but I'm no programmer nor any good at modeling or animation.
My only useful contribution to the project would have to be in ideas and solutions.
I use my endless fantasy and creativity to find solutions to any problem.

I hope I didn't ramble on to much about stuff that might never happen.

But I hope you might find it useful t have stuff to think about.

Last edited by Akumu (07/16/10 22:07)

#97 07/16/10 23:07

Mukade

Welcome to the forum!

Firstly, I, and hopefully everyone else, appreciates the tips and such you've given, I know it must have taken at least some time to type all this up. However, I hope you realize that you aren't the first one and I don't think you'll be the last, to bring up the topic of Oni 2. Plenty of people have dreamed of this, although it will not be possible in the forseeable future. We simply do not have the manpower or all the skills, nor the time to make Oni 2 ourselves, as *most* of us are employed I expect, as opposed to game developpers which spend their entire day on one game. Also we do not have the rights to Oni, therefore we can only stick to improving Oni 1

On the other hand, you have Take-Two, who owns the rights to Oni, are not, I expect, interested in making an Oni 2, as I'm sure they have more, lucrative, and successful projects to work on, instead of a game that has a very small fan base. Perhaps in time, we can suggest it to them, by some means, we can somehow get the rights, or they can do it on their own, but this is in the very unforseeable future, if ever.

Yes, you may have ranted a bit about something that may never happen, but I suppose it may have been good ranting, not just an idle suggestion, but you actually came forward with many suggestions for it, and not just stuff like, "It would be cool if blah blah blah" But more realistic stuff like how it would relate to the gamers of today. Your creativity and ideas such as those are very welcome, as are you as well as all new members to the forum.

Again welcome to the forum, enjoy your, hopefully long, stay

Last edited by Mukade (07/16/10 23:07)

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#98 07/17/10 07:07

Iritscen

Hi Akumu, and welcome.  Lots of interesting points in your post here.  Let's see... oh no!  Warning!  Warning!  Wall Of Text mode activated!  Danger, Will Robinson!  Great, Akumu, now you've done it!  I haven't written a post this long in a while.  Well, it's too late now, abandon hope all ye who enter...

I do want to point out that gameplay has changed sins Oni and that it is going to change even more soon.

Oh yeah.  Oni is definitely a product of the nineties, although finished in 2000.  Even by its release in 2001, people thought finding consoles to open doors was kinda lame, but now it's not only kinda lame, it's pretty unrealistic.  As games have gotten more real-looking, they've also become more honest in their mechanics and tried to move away from the "unlock door to progress" mentality.

I expect all future games to have a SMART button like Brink.

Hmm, I don't remember reading about that game.  Can you explain how that works?

Also the 3D seen is back from the 80's, movies and games will have multiple 3D render support, like Anaglyph.

Yeah, this could even be doable in Oni 1.

Oni2 will have to be even more fast pased and intense as the original.

Oni would probably benefit from having a bit more going on, but I don't know that I want to see the gameplay sped up.  If you make it faster, it would start to seem arcade-y.  When characters move more slowly and realistically, it adds to the overall realism of the game.

However the biggest difference with Oni (1) and Oni2 would be the setting and story.
The original Oni was released to late, back in the late 80's and early 90's the genre Cyberpunk was very popular.
However in the late 90's this genre died out almost completely.
So one of the big questions would be: Oni2 Cyberpunk for hardcore fans, or: Oni2 modernised for a wider and modern audience.

I disagree with your timeline; believe it or not, Ghost in the Shell, Oni's founding inspiration, is from 1995.  GitS alone carried the cyberpunk age through the late '90s, and of course the TV series was produced well into the '00s.  I agree that the cyberpunk influence that came from Akira and GitS and BGC might be getting outdated, but I don't know that it's been replaced by any particular new sci-fi style.  And honestly, just as Oni was altered to be less like GitS when Hardy took over, I don't think we want to just pursue whatever's trendy at the moment.  It's better to just find an interesting and original story for the sequel and see what kind of style it suggests, imho.

Things that are "IN" in games [...] As far as an Oni2 game is concerned I think we could scrape the MMO and Open world which are just to huge and difficult to make.

Since I think Bungie's next game is an MMO action title, that's reason enough to avoid doing that with Oni 2.  I could see an open world working well with what I imagine for Oni 2, but certainly it's less work to make a linear game.  At this point, making a sequel ourselves feels so far off that I don't know that there's even a point to saying one approach is more work than another, but I do think that it's important to keep a project focused and not try to do everything, so perhaps the open world aspect would be a good example of something to keep out of the picture to keep the project simple.

However an Interactive enviroment is a must.

Natch.

Extreme gore can be nice in a game where both ranged and melee combat is the main focus.

Only if the fans want it.  I don't really see what Dead Space has to do with Oni.  Personally I lean in the other direction; I like beating up dudes in Oni, but I'm not interested in fragging them all over the room.

The world would probably be a huge thing to change, especially the architecture.
In Oni (1) the architecture is simular to that of sci-fi anime from the 90's. (Especially: Dirty pair, Armitage III which have the same look and feel as most Cyberpunk anime and games)
In the old days sci-fi cities were just big hunks of steel and concrete, which were based on the architecture of the 80's, Big square shapes, not much detail except for functional details like air ducts and network pluggs.

This part of your post is what really got me to hit the Reply button, because architecture is what I'm all about.  One of the three things that intrigued me in Oni's trailer, back when we were all awaiting the game, was the architecture.  Unfortunately the actual game has less detail than what's shown in the trailer.  There's also some cognitive disconnect going on in the level designs.

I can't understand for the life of me why the Airport level, as fun as it is, is designed so that people can use consoles on walls to unlock doors, nor where the planes taxi to the runway, etc., etc., etc.  The levels are all based on general impressions of spaces, but it almost feels like they didn't look at any real spaces for references.  It's great that they got architects to design the levels, but their original work was all scrapped and replaced by more video-gamey levels.  In some cases this was because the original levels had too many polygons, but I still wonder if they couldn't have built more realistic spaces with the same number of polys and still had fun gameplay within them.

I think a lot of games today are based upon the "real is fun" notion, that it's exciting to play in spaces that look like real buildings.  And in fact Oni was an early advocate of that approach; it's just that the "realism" in Oni looks too primitive by today's standards.  So I would want an Oni 2 to move strongly in the direction of realism in architecture.  I'm not sure I agree that the future of architecture is all curvy and space-age, though.  There are a handful of "designer buildings" like that today, among countless "metal and concrete boxes", and I don't see that changing in the world of Oni, which is ruled by an authoritarian state.  Perhaps the metabolist style would make sense, but not organic spaces that encourage free thinking.  As far as overall style, though...

Today we play games that look "realistic" in our eyes, and with the comeback of 3D our current computer graphics are far beyond what they ever dreamed off in most cyberpunk anime.

We also shouldn't forget Oni's roots and make something totally unlike the original.  Too many games today jump onto the realistic bandwagon just because it's what sells and because game devs like to see how far they can push the technology.  The few games that dare to be different in style get more attention because of it.  I don't know what the right style is for Oni 2, but maybe we should consider stepping back from realism and staying in a more idealized animé style; maybe cel-shaded, maybe not.

To create a modern realistic sci-fi you must create vastly advanced computers, Floating screens and 3D interactive holograms. So no more boring training room with bots, but realistic battle training on the holodeck.

So, you don't think the current training level *is* a holodeck? wink
But it's true, there's not a lot of interesting sci-fi concepts in Oni besides the Daodan, it would be fun to push on that front a little more with a sequel.

Will [Konoko] stay an anime based woman or will she get a touch of realism?

Sometimes I get persnickety when people talk about animé style and I deny understanding what they're talking about. smile  The fact is, different animé have different art styles and different stories.  So I don't care about how "animé based" Konoko is.  I would like to add some depth to her personality for a sequel, however.  Probably the nature of the story in Oni 2 would do that for us.

Unless of course your thinking about making Oni2 by yourself or with a bunch of fans.

As Mukade mentioned, we've never had the manpower to make a full game ourselves.  I'm also not sure that we could collaborate on a story when everyone has their own ideas they'd want to see in the sequel.  But I am hoping that some of our Oni (1) projects will attract more people as they come to fruition, and with more people will come more modders.  I'm not sure that will lead to an Oni 2, but at least there will be more of a chance!

#99 07/17/10 09:07

Akumu

Brink is the new multiplayer (Its not a MMO as far as I know) shooter game from Splash Damage (Known for Enemy Terrotory):
http://www.brinkthegame.com/
Its main new feature is the SMART (Smooth Movement Across Random Terrain) system that lets you move across the map/level smoothly, while interacting with random obstacles (jump over boxes, climb op walls, slide under lasers):
http://www.brinkthegame.com/features/freedom/

- Extreme gore can be nice in a game where both ranged and melee combat is the main focus.

"Only if the fans want it.  I don't really see what Dead Space has to do with Oni.  Personally I lean in the other direction; I like beating up dudes in Oni, but I'm not interested in fragging them all over the room."

- I agree, having dudes splatter on the wall with liters of blood might be a bit to much, however tearing off their arms or breaking bones with a karate move could work.

"I think a lot of games today are based upon the "real is fun" notion, that it's exciting to play in spaces that look like real buildings.  And in fact Oni was an early advocate of that approach; it's just that the "realism" in Oni looks too primitive by today's standards.  So I would want an Oni 2 to move strongly in the direction of realism in architecture.  I'm not sure I agree that the future of architecture is all curvy and space-age, though.  There are a handful of "designer buildings" like that today, among countless "metal and concrete boxes", and I don't see that changing in the world of Oni, which is ruled by an authoritarian state.  Perhaps the metabolist style would make sense, but not organic spaces that encourage free thinking.  As far as overall style, though.."

- Perhaps a bit of old and new:
Another Brink ref (I'm sorry but I'm very exited about this game): http://ve3dmedia.ign.com/images/05/92/59272_orig.jpg
This is the airport on the Ark city, as you can see it uses big concrete pillars and big steel connections in strait lines which look cyberpunk-ish, however they support a high glass roof over the large open space of the airports main hall.
Notice the color scheme is mostly white and blue with yellow accents, this creates a even more spacey feel.
In Oni only executive buildings are colored white, and only on the inside, most of it's grey and dark.
I do believe the grey and dark colors were used to accent the dark future of Oni, however the faded and dirty white might feel more realistic sins it accents past glory.

"We also shouldn't forget Oni's roots and make something totally unlike the original.  Too many games today jump onto the realistic bandwagon just because it's what sells and because game devs like to see how far they can push the technology.  The few games that dare to be different in style get more attention because of it.  I don't know what the right style is for Oni 2, but maybe we should consider stepping back from realism and staying in a more idealized animé style; maybe cel-shaded, maybe not."

- I agree (again) Oni's history is with anime so it should have an anime theme, however the cell shading gives a clean feeling and it looks childish in most cases.
I think Oni2 would be better if anime blends with realism, Konoko can keep her purple hair and leather jacket, which accent her rebellious nature.
But she could look a lot nicer if she had a more realistic feel to her than cell shading offers.
Also if the world is going to be realistic you can't have cell shaded "dolls" walking around in it.

However a true anime theme might be nice too, however it seems almost impossible to have the world in anime theme:
As the world in anime has a drawn by hand look, it would take a load of shadings and effects to get a similar feel.
Some games have Comic like themes:
Warsow (freeware fps with UT like gameplay): http://www.warsow.net/
XIII: http://media.photobucket.com/image/xiii … XIII-1.jpg
As you can see the world doesn't look anime like at all, it just looks badly textured.

"Sometimes I get persnickety when people talk about animé style and I deny understanding what they're talking about.   The fact is, different animé have different art styles and different stories.  So I don't care about how "animé based" Konoko is.  I would like to add some depth to her personality for a sequel, however.  Probably the nature of the story in Oni 2 would do that for us."

- Don't get me wrong I do like anime characters, however they only really get a real feel if they can suck you in with their personality.
Its really hard to care for a drawn character if they don't have a proper personage.
I did miss some depth about Konoko's personage, they do tell you about her past but you do not really get to know her.
Also her private life is a mystery, what kind of drinks and food does she like, does she have friends outside her work, does she have a fav bar or club?
I know she's the "Property" of the TCTF (Which is just wrong), and that she has trouble not knowing how to act because she has lost her memory.
The main problem about her is the memory loss, what do people do when they loose their memory?, Yeah they go looking for answers, Konoko does go looking but at the start of the game it seems like she just doesn't care about it, she's to busy kicking ass and focusing on her job (maybe she's in denial?)

For Oni2 It might be nice to continue on the story of Oni (1), Konoko did find out some things but she would probably want to know more.
Also she might want to fight the government, because of her fathers findings.
So I see Konoko becoming more rebellious, fighting for a way to reach the general public and tell them about the secrets of the government.
The government obviously trying to "Silence" her.

However this is just my view on what I think Oni2 would be like.
I might wright a more detailed story sometime.

I know I've been rambling on "Again".
And I will continue rambling in the future.

#100 07/17/10 09:07

Akumu

BTW: Its an honor to have the 100th post. ><

Board footer