Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/19/08 16:01

gorilla325

what are ja playing?

just wondering what are you guys playing right now?  i felt i ran out of games to play.  one reason will be my old PC, the other reason will be...there're not that many interesting games out there...  maybe you guys could open my eyes wide:cool:  i am currently playing:

Oni
Prince of persia warrior within
MTW/VI
Max Payn/kungfu mod

i could not find any good action/adventure games with good melee mechanics.  pop WW was great, but not like Oni.  i played tekken 5's mini game, where you control Jin through a series of corridor and labs.  that game's probably the closest to Oni.  But the camera control was...without mouse...therefore...so terrible...  i've tried assassin's creed on 360, but i had not really gotten into the control...  i thought melee of drake's forture was...bad after i saw the trailers.  melee mechanics probably is the most difficult gameplay to make in the video game world....:P

#2 01/19/08 18:01

geyser
Website

Re: what are ja playing?

Dunno, try Lugaru and see if David's semiautomatic melee is your cup of tea: http://wolfire.com/lugaru.html

Last edited by geyser (01/19/08 18:01)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#3 01/19/08 21:01

gorilla325

my gosh!!!  that was an incredible game!!!  how come i never know this game  before!!  i actually wished oni had something like reversal long time ago!  this game is not without problem, like there doesn't seem to have  combo like oni, and the reversal attack was kind easy to perform.  no matter, the way you attacked like a real rabbit, now that's what i called awesome!!    there's stealth kill, wall kick, disarm, reversal...operates almost like Oni...oh, and it shared one same flaw like Oni, the jump was weird...  those jumps could not be integrated into fighting, like if my opponent used a sweep ground kick, i can't use jump as a way to dodge.  anyway, thanks for sharing this, geyser!  big_smile

Last edited by gorilla325 (01/19/08 21:01)

#4 01/19/08 22:01

Ultimatum479

Err. Yes, you _can_ definitely jump to dodge sweeps, and no, the reversal shouldn't be too easy if you're playing on Insane against four or more foes. What annoys me about Lugaru is the lack of air combat.

And as to what I'm playing, I just bought Star Wars Battlefront recently. Unfortunately, people online who "have been playing for years" all _suck_, so I'm not getting any challenge yet. That's really sad, because FPSs aren't supposed to be my thing. I'm a fighter/flier. (Games I'm always playing: Oni, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Marvel Super Heroes v Street Fighter, Darkstalkers 3: Vampire Savior 2, etc...)

Last edited by Ultimatum479 (01/19/08 22:01)

Work in progress...

#5 01/20/08 00:01

Your_Mom
Website

hmm...
Oni
Battleships Forever
Universe at War: Earth Assault
Empire at War/Forces of Corruption (not so much lately, if at all)

droid803sig.jpg

#6 01/20/08 04:01

s10k
Website

Oni
Delta Force Land Warrior 3
Freedom Force
Max Payne 2

#7 01/20/08 08:01

Tyr
Website

Oni
Warcraft 3 TFT aswell, but only DotA or HeroWars online wink
Half-Life 2 and episodic content,
and creating maps for Counter-Strike: Source and Half-Life 2.

#8 01/20/08 22:01

Loser

Oni - no comment ^_^

Prince of Persia 3D - the best sword simulation I have ever seen; this game shares fate of Oni: too much hype, then too little time to ship = everybody says it sucks (and another similarity: modded ^_^' )

Used to play MovieBattles II, but its saber melee mechanics are horrible, altough engine allows modders to do quite a lot

Dead or Alive 2 - inspiriation for some of my mods

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's tomb - inspiration for Oni mods, this game is also great but it is done in an "even sucker can finish this" style. Too bad, it has a potential to rock (you can see it in my video on YouTube)

Final Fantasy VII - no comment (epic game, greatest of all RPGs since it was finished)

Loser

Last edited by Loser (01/20/08 22:01)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#9 01/20/08 23:01

geyser
Website

"You may have time to play games, but I've got a job to do" smile

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#10 01/21/08 04:01

Gumby

Loser! Try the new build (RC1) they completely fixed the saber issues big_smile

...or at least made vast improvements tongue

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#11 01/26/08 23:01

Gumby

I win! Take that you sodding computer! lol

attachment.php?item=213&download=1

Last edited by Gumby (01/27/08 00:01)

#12 01/27/08 12:01

Gumby

noclip tongue

#13 01/27/08 16:01

Your_Mom
Website

Gumby wrote:

I win! Take that you sodding computer! lol

<snip>

The cake isn't a lie!

droid803sig.jpg

#14 01/27/08 20:01

Bad Religion

I've been playing a lot of Halo 3, Mass Effect, and Wing Commander Arena lately. How I love Mass Effect...

If I get my hands on a PS2/PS3, I'll probably get back into playing Oni again. Don't know when that will be, though.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.

#15 01/28/08 15:01

Your_Mom
Website

I just downloaded Transcendence... (free game)
Quite entertaining...although its not easy >.<

droid803sig.jpg

#16 01/28/08 15:01

EdT
Website

YM: Wait a minute, you're playing another game???  Why aren't you working on a cool script for the Anniversary Edition? tongue

#17 01/28/08 16:01

Ultimatum479

I imagine YM's fan-storyline mod will be easier to implement with the ability to spawn any character on any level.

Work in progress...

#18 01/28/08 16:01

Your_Mom
Website

Uhm..because I'm slightly out of the loop.
What is in the latest aniversary edition anyway? I'm pretty sure it deviates from my own work that is a lot of TRAC and particle collection swapping.

droid803sig.jpg

#19 01/29/08 18:01

gorilla325

prince of persia 3D?  i heard that's not a good game...someone likes to introduce it a bit more?  like how's the control, is it like Oni; how's the platform gameplay? 

i am playing shogun total war warlord edition solo.  one of the most artistic games ever created!  bahahaha.

#20 02/10/08 04:02

Bad Religion

I gave up Mass Effect for Lent, so naturally God decides that the day after, the first batch of Downloadable Content for the game was announced...for a March 10th release. Lent ends on March 23...

I've been playing a lot of Burnout: Paradise and Devil May Cry 4 as of late.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.

#21 02/17/08 16:02

gorilla325

been playing mount and blade demo recently.  i'd tried the demo on and off years after i first heard of it.  but i just could not past the awkward animations, melee and other stuff.  i saw the news that paradox interactive signed to publish the game so i started to try it again.  hehe, i bit the nail and wholeheartedly enjoy it!  the combat was nothing fancy, but it required high degree of concentration.  the mountted combat was very hard, but very satisfying somehow.  i still need to figure out more on melee, but it's really safe to say that this game will become my most anticipated game for this year!  it could be a genre of its own, just like total war series!!

#22 02/20/08 14:02

geyser
Website

I just got ahold of State of Emergency and OMG does it kick ass.
The melee - so rewarding! Libra - so hot! Just my idea of Oni 2.
Here's the wiki page: http://wiki.oni2.net/State_of_Emergency
Seriously, hadn't had that much fun in ages (Oni excepted wink ).
I guess I'm sorry to spend time on another game than Oni, eh?
But it's actually a very timely source of inspiration. Like GUNNM.

#23 05/28/08 13:05

gorilla325

played grand theft auto san andreas.  i thought the melee for the game should be ok.  it is too basic, way too basic.  and it really weird that Oni doesn't have lock on but fight people just fine, not the same case for GTA SA...  GTA SA got a good potential to be a good game with great melee components...  if dev concentrate on it...  grrrrr... it got wasted at the end, in terms of melee.

#24 05/28/08 13:05

Iritscen

Yeah, gorilla, that's why we keep modding Oni after all this time... there's just not much to compete with it, to this day.

BTW, I have been told that Oni does use an automatic lock-on for melee.  Apparently it's so subtle that people like you and I don't notice it.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#25 05/30/08 12:05

gorilla325

ah so there really is one!  i noticed something like soft lock on, but not very sure of it... 

actually there's none to compete with it in hands to hands combat...

Board footer