Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/18/08 11:01

Iritscen

More Involved (How You Can Be, With The Wiki)

As the Yoda-like title implies, this thread is supposed to point out that the community should be a little more interested in the wiki.  Granted, we're a small group, but with the Anniversary Edition on its way, we will definitely be getting more attention, and by extension the wiki will get more attention as well.  It's not as if there will suddenly be a flood of traffic on the order of Wikipedia, but still, the wiki is an all-purpose guide to Oni, so everyone who needs to have their memories refreshed about a game that came out seven years ago may stop by there.  Also, anyone who wants to learn how to mod Oni will have to learn it from the wiki.

With that in mind, I have to say that almost no one on this board seems to visit the wiki.  The reason I mention this is that geyser, paradox and I are batting ideas around, but there's no one else there to add their two cents.  Without a community, a wiki cannot thrive.

So, what am I asking?
- Visit the main page.  Follow links around.  If something doesn't make sense or is inaccurate, fix it or make suggestions on the Talk pages as to how things could be improved.
- Correct the editorial style so it doesn't sound like someone's talking to himself, as it does right now on some pages.
- Fill in missing info on some pages.
- Write articles when you see a redlink.  That redlink means that we want something to be there, but don't have the time/knowledge to put it there ourselves.

What with geyser being super-busy right now, there's more need for everyone else to pitch in before the Edition comes out.  I just spent hours setting up the Images gallery (current tally: 500 image uploads total, and a lot of those were me this week), and I have a lot of real-life things to get done, so I'm burned out for a week or more.  That doesn't mean you can't stop by and give advice; I'm still keeping an eye on the Talk pages.

Seeing as much of this community speaks something other than English as their first language, perhaps we can consider doing the multi-language thing like Wikipedia does, and someone can translate pages for Russian/etc.  Speak up if that interests you.

Much thanks to everyone who stops by the wiki!

Last edited by Iritscen (01/18/08 12:01)

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#2 01/18/08 12:01

EdT
Website

Re: More Involved (How You Can Be, With The Wiki)

Good point. Will try to help more.

I did start this page a few days ago:
http://wiki.oni2.net/7th_Anniversary_Edition

#3 01/18/08 12:01

Iritscen

Yeah, I noticed, that was seriously needed.  Btw, when you add a page, don't hesitate to link to it from wherever is appropriate, even if it's not finished.  You could link to it from the Main Page, for instance.  It's certainly important enough.  I'll add it to my MainPageProposal also.

#4 01/18/08 19:01

Gumby

Whenever I try and make things like that I only get them done half way -_- I'll try...soon...after finals are over

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#5 01/19/08 05:01

ItemfinderDeluxe

I'll take a look around, and try to 'formalise' some of the pages. Any 'problem areas' that need immediate attention?

TCTF SWAT: Striker, you're under arrest.
Striker: H4h, y0u c4n'7 570p m3!!!
TCTF SWAT: Damn it, learn to spell!!!
CURRENT PROJECT - 'Nemesis' V1.0 Released

#6 01/19/08 14:01

Iritscen

Frankly, just pick a random page and try to formalize it.  A lot of areas need attention in terms of being newbie-friendly, and honestly, sometimes I, with mid-level Oni experience, still don't know what a page is trying to say/do (with all due respect to geyser, without whom there wouldn't be a wiki at all).  Make sure that a newbie at least knows what the page is talking about, if it's not a page dedicated to developer-speak.  I see a lot of duplicate information on different pages, too.

#7 01/19/08 17:01

VidBoi7

Slapped some name stuff onto Konoko's entry. I'll take my commission now tongue

#8 01/21/08 12:01

Iritscen

Actually I just was looking at the sections on BSL and there are some noticeable holes. If anyone feels comfortable with that topic then look for parts where it says "Fill this in later", and type away. For instance, the fork command has no info on it, so I had to spend a couple hours figuring it out this weekend.

#9 01/21/08 17:01

VidBoi7

Bsl? @_@

#10 01/21/08 18:01

Gumby

A fork runs another function without stopping the function it is in, if anyone wants to know...

BSL = Bungie Script Language

#11 01/21/08 20:01

VidBoi7

I barely passed C++ 101. >>

#12 01/22/08 02:01

ItemfinderDeluxe

I'll pass on the BSL section, as I'm slowly working on the characters section. By the way, does anyone know if Kerr was a professor, or just a doctor? (I'd also like a reference, if possible)

#13 01/22/08 02:01

VidBoi7

The TCTF guards refer to him as Griffin's pet Doctor. I don't recall im being called 'Professor'.

#14 01/22/08 06:01

geyser
Website

"does anyone know if Kerr was a professor, or just a doctor?"
http://wiki.oni2.net/Quotes/Speech#Kono … gone_rogue

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#15 01/22/08 11:01

VidBoi7

What he said tongue

I'll see if I can grab anything from the speculation threads that hasn't been covered and whip it up into something vaguely cool looking.

#16 01/22/08 11:01

geyser
Website

You can also try and summarize Oni's plot (as objectively and tighly as possible) for the English Wikipedia.
Use either this forum or the Chapters entry on our wiki for polishing that summary before you submit it...

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#17 01/22/08 12:01

Iritscen

ItemfinderDeluxe wrote:

I'll pass on the BSL section, as I'm slowly working on the characters section. By the way, does anyone know if Kerr was a professor, or just a doctor? (I'd also like a reference, if possible)

That's just as important, so thank you for that.  I am still not back to the wiki myself, but will be later this week.

#18 01/23/08 00:01

Gumby

VidBoi7 wrote:

I barely passed C++ 101. >>

I never took classes...I just ask lots and lots of questions >_>

Good programming is about thinking around corners...IMO

#19 01/23/08 10:01

Iritscen

Thanks for all the work being done.  I see the Image gallery continues to grow.  I will probably start work on the programming stuff myself when I am over this hump at work.

#20 01/26/08 09:01

paradox-01

Hi folks, there are some comments which I would like to see translated. smile

Russian speaking people can help translating comments on THIS SITE. (Please also the text on the images, for example Murinex.)

Spanish speakers can have a look HERE and HERE.

#21 01/26/08 15:01

s10k
Website

The second one is sexy paradadox. ^^

#22 01/26/08 19:01

VidBoi7

Ok, got some drafts ready for a look. The Muro one might be a bit scarce -- it got a bit hard to make heads or tails of where it was all jumping about >>;;

BARABAS
===

Part of Muro?
---

Another potential explanation of Barabas’ reverence for Muro and failed Imago stage is he may be the result of an experiment to see if one chrysalis would be universally acceptable.
Barabas and Imago Muro share very visible similarities, and Kerr stated that the final form would be an expression of the hosts true nature. Such striking similarities are likely not a result of both being fundamentally ‘evil’, but possibly sharing the same chrysalis.

Part of Sturmdamerung would be massive implementation of the Daodan. One solution may have been creating a universally acceptable chrysalis to implant rather than sampling every persons DNA and growing them unique.
The chrysalis Barabas possesses is likely a clone, copy or extracted part of Muro’s own chrysalis. The Chrysalis would probably change Barabas to be similar to its originally intended host. As well, the empathic bond Daodan’s seem to possess may have created a strong bond, compounded by the fact Muro elevated one mere Elite Striker to a position of nigh unbeatable strength.

Not being the intended host would also likely result in Barabas not being anywhere as strong as a true Daodan like Mai or Muro. Wether this is because of poor compatibility or partial rejection of the Daodan is unknown.

DAODAN
===

DNA Compatibility
---
The two prototype Daodan’s were made based of Mai and Muro’s DNA.
While they weren’t intended to be implanted, they eventually were.

This may mean a Chrysalis may only work with a genetically compatible host. The TCTF or Syndicate could have given them to anyone, but they gave them to Mai and Muro.
Which meant that, aside from monitoring, some effort and money was put into raising the test subjects and training them. Giving the chrysalis to an already existing agent would have been more cost effective.

It may also be a case of maximum compatibility. The Syndicate and TCTF would want these weapons as useful as possible -- making sure the Chrysalis could harness as much as possible of the host would make sense.

Name
---
Japanese ‘dan’ means level or degree, and ‘Daodan’ relates to elevation and upgrade.

Navarre
---

Renegade scientist Bertram Navarre discovered a way to 'retask' cells, making it possible to reshape bodies without having to worry about organ integrity
One experiment consisted of successfully splitting the spinal column of a research subject by 'telling' the cells between the two severed halves to serve as nerve linkages.
Unfortunately, he was obsessed with seeing how far this discovery could be pushed and was prepared to perform ghastly experiments on human captives he had bought from the Syndicate.
Procedure:
Civilian refugees from a pleasure boat outing narrowly escaped mercenary pirates from Navarre's island laboratory and reached TCTF authorities.
A full-scale raid of his island facilities was mounted and the lab installations were destroyed, but Navarre's body was never recovered.

Bertram’s experiment has many similarities to the Daodan project.

It may be Hasegawa operating under an alias, or a codename assigned by the TCTF. The experiments are similar, and his fate is conveniently left open. Hasegawa’s ethics and morals are only explored at the beginning of the project -- as time went on, it is possible he became more obsessed and  more likely to use and destroy life to reach his ultimate objective.
It wouldn’t be against TCTF modus operandi to skew records to prevent anyone from discovering the truth -- the majority of TCTF troops or Mai herself.

It also may be a parallel project at the time or an inspiration for the Daodan. Despite the manipulation of cellular matter, some differences exist.

-The cells are given a fixed program - a strict set of steps much like modern computer programs. The Daodan, while it does adhere to the overall plan of upgrading the host, has no fixed programming about how to do that. It behaves much like a living, thinking organism in its own right. If it were predictable in any manner, Kerr would likely have told Konoko what to expect. Instead, all he can offer is that the final form will be a manifestation of the subjects true nature.

-The Daodan has no restricted field of action. The whole body is its playground.

-The Daodan uses cloned, hyper-evolved tissues and does not directly manipulate the structure of the host -- it fills what gaps are created by stress or harm. It does not restructure, it grows and replaces.

MURO
===

Shinitama Kidnapping
---
Muro sets in motion the catalyst for Mai going over a point of no return when he has Barabas kidnap Shinitama.
The purpose, however, seems a bit vague in examination.

The inspiration for the kidnapping and the one scene from it we see both portray him as a violent and impulsive youth who, at the time, just wants to ‘play dolls’. 
However, he has to be more than brute force and charisma if he was ever to usurp control of the Syndicate. He had to have a reason.

-Gathering information on Konoko’s chrysalis progression. However, he never seems to capitalize on any information he retrieved from the interrogation. Additionally, he could have taken the information out of Damocles or anywhere the information had been copied.

-He wanted what happened to happen. He wanted the TCTF to turn on Konoko, letting his enemies weaken themselves for him. This would be, however, extremely difficult - or impossible - situation to “plan”.

-Disrupt the monitoring of the chrysalis. This would set the TCTF’s use of Konoko off balance and potentially destabilize Mai. The only other way to monitor Mai is through the use of the Daodan Probe in the science prison, and it would likely require some lengths to ensure Mai was kept ignorant of the truth.

MUKADE
=====

Role in Oni
---
The information about Hasegawa is already known to Muro. Not only did he likely hear the full story from the man himself, but Muro could have had the information obtained at an earlier time. That he starts to wonder where it all started after all this time does not make sense.
Instead, he was likely:

-Obtaining bait to guarantee Mai would follow him, enabling him to lay ambushes she’d have no choice but to run into. Even if she made it through them, he was waiting in a battlefield of his choosing.

-Muro sent him to eliminate Mai with a dual purpose: To potentially eliminate Mukade. This assumes that Mukade is powerful enough to be a rival to Muro, or powerful enough to be a potential threat.
Let two of your enemies fight, and let them take one problem off your plate.

Muro’s Rival?
---
Muro and Mukade are the most powerful characters in the game, Mai excluded. So much so, one has to wonder why Muro would tolerate a rival such as Mukade.

-Loyalty. If Mukade was loyal to Muro, like Barabas was, he’d have no reason to worry about potential revolt - as long as such loyalty was maintained.

-Parental bond. Assuming TNZ’s interpretation of Mukade as Hasegawa, the parent-son relationship would likely be able to keep them together.

-Irreplacable. Mukade has made himself valuable enough to the Syndicate effort where Muro bashing his head in isn’t an option. He may be withholding information on the Daodan, if he is Hasegawa. The Ninja are also necessary to the Syndicate, and openly challenging their coordinator/leader would likely cause a schism or revolt in the ranks. He may have sent him to confront Mai to die so he could easily take control of the assassins.

Last edited by VidBoi7 (01/26/08 19:01)

#23 01/28/08 02:01

ItemfinderDeluxe

@ VidBoi7 - just read your drafts. Where in the wiki would you plan to put these in, if you could? I'm still working on the characters section, but my work has had me doing twice as many days as before, so I haven't had any free time. Luckily though, I have tommorow off, so if you planned to use these for character bios, I could take a futher look at them.

Or, you could create a new section in the wiki, but since the information is mostly speculation, it could conflict with the factual nature of the wiki.

#24 01/28/08 10:01

Iritscen

It's okay to have speculation in a character entry as long as it is marked as such.  Namely, make a section called Speculation after stating the facts and only the facts in that character's page.

#25 01/28/08 10:01

VidBoi7

What Iritscen said. Have it in its own speculation area or somesuch. Except the bit about the Daodan's name, I suppose.

Board footer