Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 01/12/08 23:01

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

Re: Hi Everybody - Nice site!

The Bungie West team was tiny (compared to the size of development teams nowadays, and even then), and they still pulled off a lot of great things.

Good to see someone from the "old guard" posting here. Hi Steve! smile

(Moving this to General Discussion because it deserves to be there!)

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#27 01/13/08 00:01

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

steveabe wrote:

hahaha....That was actually going to be a scene in the airport I believe.  There's a place where she was going to change outfits.  This scene was supposed to happen behind a translucent door where you'd just see her silhouette.  That animation shipped?

Alex told me this was supposed to be for a shower scene, she showers and changes before she broke into her dad's lab.

Was Alex lying? tongue

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#28 01/13/08 02:01

Gumby

Whoa! Its Harry! I haven't seen him post...ever! tongue

Though you linked to the forum in a sig residing in the forum. ^_^

Who is Alex?

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#29 01/13/08 03:01

Ultimatum479

Nah, he's posted pretty recently.

Considering that, as geyser pointed out, the stripping animation is named LEV4, I'd say the airport theory is probably the best.

Work in progress...

#30 01/13/08 04:01

s10k
Website

Damm. Too bad that multiplayer wasn't released because just the dial-up. What about the colors of strikers? Do you know something? I have seen black and dark green strikers. Here's a picture: http://ssg.oni2.net/subfold/oldpics/pic53.htm

Are black supposed to be the actual red ones?

Is nice to see here someone that worked in oni. smile

Thanks.

#31 01/13/08 12:01

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

Gumby wrote:

Whoa! Its Harry! I haven't seen him post...ever! tongue

Though you linked to the forum in a sig residing in the forum. ^_^

Who is Alex?

Alex Okita.

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#32 01/13/08 13:01

Loser

were you the only character animator for Oni? if so, then the animation god has a name

Agreed.

BIG salute to your work, man. It is AWESOME, altough I have modded 320 of them "a bit." ^_^ I hope you are not angry with me for that, I had done it for good.
But then again, 320 slightly changed comapred to thousands of made-from-scratch....respect.

Can I ask some question too??? I just want to know...was there moving furniture in ONI? Any time, alpha, beta etc. Or better, any collision between characters and other objects than guns (and guns collide only with AIs) ??? Just say yes or no, I don't want to steal your precious time...

About Iron Demon and its problems: I have toyed with upscaled characters quite a while ago. Major problem is with collision detection as pelvis is the only bone which collides with walls and obstacles. Upscaled characters then get easily stuck with "head in the floor" or "hand in the wall." Another flaw is AI vision system. If char is too big, it can't see close enemy and starts spinning like crazy, searching for him.

Yet another question: Were some throws planned to be able to toss victim over some obstacle ??? I am asking because of THIS. It can happen only on narrow surface, such us stairs.

I am glad that you joined this forum. You are really, really welcome.
                                                                                                                                        Loser

P.S.: So you also made Mukade's NINCOMteleport_in ... it looks nice, but for its purposes it is too long. Just a comment on anim after this communitys' long time experience with cheapest way how to defeat Mukade(run-spin-round his neck as he tries to teleport).

Last edited by Loser (01/13/08 13:01)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#33 01/13/08 15:01

Ultimatum479

That's not the cheapest way to kill Mukade. The cheapest way is to do a willow kick while he's doing that, then backbreak him. The backbreaker is by far the best move in Konoko's arsenal, doing immense damage _and_ being unblockable; aside from Valkyries, it's the cheapest way to annihilate any opposition.

Work in progress...

#34 01/13/08 19:01

geyser
Website

This is getting off-topic, but I don't think Ninjas should be vulnerable to the Willow Kick. Checking it out and "fixing" it ASAP wink

Last edited by geyser (01/13/08 19:01)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#35 01/14/08 03:01

Ultimatum479

Are you trying to make the Willow Kick useless?

Work in progress...

#36 01/14/08 10:01

Iritscen

I would never defeat Mukade without that kick that stuns him (I didn't think it was the Willow Kick, just a basic standing kick).  Please don't take that away from me!

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#37 01/14/08 19:01

geyser
Website

"Are you trying to make the Willow Kick useless?" No, I'm trying to make the Ninja less human wink

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#38 01/15/08 10:01

gorilla325

awesome!  a real Oni team is here!  i want to hear more about Oni soccer!  lol! 

wait, so you mean, when we use shapeshifter cheats in the game, those other characters used the same sprinting animation as konoko?  that's why i felt so weird everyone running the same...

#39 01/15/08 10:01

Pierre

Woah! Steve, even after all those years, the animations in Oni are still some of the best I've ever seen. I can't help it, I love this game smile  ...and of course, if we could have some of those old animations for the Iron Demon, we would immediately use them smile:)

www.codercorner.com/Oni.htm

- Pierre

#40 01/15/08 10:01

geyser
Website

"if we could have some of those old animations for the Iron Demon, we would immediately use them"
There is an animated Iron Demon out there, made by a guy named Ashley Davison. Here's the FBX:
http://geyser.oni2.net/IronDemon/Walker … xtures.rar
IronDemonAshleyDavison.jpg

@ gorilla: "wait, so you mean, when we use shapeshifter cheats in the game,
those other characters used the same sprinting animation as konoko?" Er, no.
Ninja sprint faster than females, and all the other males sprint a little slower.
The problem is just that the AI never "double-tap-forward", so never sprint.
The dash-hack just replaces the running animations with the sprinting ones.

Last edited by geyser (01/15/08 11:01)

#41 01/16/08 03:01

Pierre

There is an animated Iron Demon out there, made by a guy named Ashley Davison. Here's the FBX:

How do you open this one? I tried in MAX 5 and 7 but it didn't work. MAX 7 gives an error message ("can't read version 6.0.0" or something), and MAX 5 doesn't do anything.

- Pierre

#42 01/16/08 06:01

geyser
Website

"How do you open this one?" Try getting the plugins from here:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/in … id=6839916

#43 01/18/08 00:01

Seventeen Seconds

It's encouraging to see the devs drop in from time to time.  I've been giving animation a shot in my (almost nonexistent) spare time and to keyframe the entire animation repetoire is a time sink I don't even want to think about, much less create something that meshes with a dynamic fighting system and looks natural.  So my hat's off to you sir cool

#44 01/19/08 23:01

LastmanSAC

Hi Steveabe, kudos on making a great game.
Can you tell me who the fella who wrote the storyline was?
I have a few questions for him.
Thanks.

#45 01/20/08 08:01

geyser
Website

@LSAC: Credits are your friends. The story is by Hardy LeBel and Hamilton Chu, with occasional contributions by others.
Hardy has posted on the original "carnage" forums as "chef". He answered a few questions about Oni's storyline there.

Board footer