Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 04/16/16 14:04

Cougarbrit

Oni crashing to desktop at startup

Hi, new guy here. Been a bit of day, finding one of my favourite games from my childhood, discovering said game has active(?) modding community after all these years, and failing to get said game to work on my laptop after four hours of numerous attempts ranging from sticking it in the dvd drive and pressing run to figuring out how to create a virtual copy of the game and attempting to run both that and the disk's installs with the mod attached. All to zero success.

I'm on a laptop with Win 7, I read some of the other threads and tried things such as enabling the old .NET frameworks for 3.5.1 in my case; reinitialised the mod; reinstalled the mod; prayer to various gods and cults. Pretty much everything I thought might help, I tried. Requested help in the AE client not long ago, thought I should mention that it apparently doesn't like hotmail email addresses, had to use a proxy email for it instead? Anyway, assuming you don't receive the help request with the logs, I can try find them and post them here I guess.

*Additional Request if alright with the mods*
And on a related note, seeing as I can't run the game even with the original disk right now, I'm not sure I created a copy of the game correctly. Sorry to the mods if this is toeing the rules a bit but I saw threads in the past where creating private copies seemed okay to talk about. I have a TakeAdvantage/Take2 UK vers of the game and I read during my hours of tinkering that TakeAdvantage's gift to the game was a chockfull of copy protection. I couldn't copy it using Daemon Tools so had to download some Booze 120% w/e that kindly installed Yahoo malware despite me kindly declining its offer, and which managed to survive two different AV sweeps and has been an arse to remove so far; but besides that, Booze 420% w/e did eventually make a copy when using the SafeDisk preset, can anybody confirm that that's what TakeAdvantage used? Or did I just create a botched copy. Booze 1080% is too busy getting drunk with Yahoos to provide an analyser gadget that can identify decades old coding it was designed to get around.

Sorry if I rambled on a bit, bit sleep deprived right now.

Last edited by Cougarbrit (04/16/16 14:04)

#2 04/16/16 18:04

Iritscen

Re: Oni crashing to desktop at startup

Hi there.  We got your logs (at least, I found the email in my Spam once I checked there; seems that my email service doesn't like the proxy you used), and what stands out to me is that your Initialization.log is blank.  That indicates that initialization never occurred, though you said that you reinitialized.  So just to be clear, you have already tried choosing File>Re-initialize Edition?  I have never seen this problem before.  Just for the record, I believe the AE only requires .NET 2.0.  Do you have that installed too?  I think it should be able to use 3.5 as well, but as a Mac user I'm not confident about the .NET side of things.

To be honest, I couldn't understand anything you wrote in the last paragraph, but if you're asking about CD verification, then I can simply tell you that the AE replaces your Oni.exe with one that the Daodan DLL is intended to patch, and that EXE does not check for the CD (or so I've been told).

P.S., what doesn't the AEI like about Hotmail addresses?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 04/17/16 14:04

Cougarbrit

Hello, a less sleep deprived me here.

The AEI wouldn't accept a hotmail.co.uk address when I tried to submit the logs, had to use a .com email instead.

In the last paragraph I was just asking for confirmation on what copy protection the UK version of ONI came with; I had assumed SafeDisk as the burner software was able to create a copy under the settings for it, but one with many read error reports. I understood such reports to simply be SafeDisk's 'bad sectors', at least that's what I gathered from an hour's sleep deprived googling. Basically I just wanted to create a private digital copy of Oni, a backup incase my original disk was ever lost or damaged; moving house as often as I have recently, things get lost a little too easy, and Oni hasn't been added to gog.com's catalogue like a few of my other older favourites.

tl;dr User bad at burner software, would like second opinion.

As for the AE issue, I'll try reinitialising again, to see if that fixes my problem.

Last edited by Cougarbrit (04/17/16 14:04)

#4 04/17/16 15:04

Cougarbrit

Okay, all problems fixed as far as I can tell.

After reinitialising I was able to launch the game, however experienced the same problems as listed in another thread a year ago (i.e. fullscreen launches a windowed instance instead of fullscreen). Following the advice given in that thread I managed to get it to launch in fullscreen, but got a 'Blam' error when trying to start the story itself.

So I decided to just clean out my install of AE entirely and redownloaded it, and so far it seems to be working just fine now, without any additional tinkering required.

I can only guess that either me, my AV(s) or the malware mentioned earlier messed something up somewhere, and I'll guess that it was me.

tl;dr Thanks for the help, problem turned out to be me probably.

#5 04/17/16 16:04

Iritscen

Ah, glad to hear it's working.  All signs were pointing to something disrupting the installation the first time around (technically, the initialization), so I was going to recommend starting over from downloading the Setup app.

I'm not familiar with Windows disc-burning software besides Nero (which I haven't tried on Oni), and we've never seemed to have any documentation on the UK version of Oni (I wasn't aware it had extra copy protection), but maybe a Windows user can chime in with advice on creating a sound backup of the Oni CD.  All I can say is that if you use the EXE that is installed by the AE Installer then there shouldn't be any copy protection in effect, which means that a perfect backup of the CD image is not necessary, so as long as GameDataFolder is backed up any which way, that's all you need.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#6 04/17/16 17:04

Cougarbrit

That's good to know, will save me a lot of effort in making more copies.

Board footer