Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/07/07 15:12

Onilover

Large group fighting

Just wondering what kind of styles people use when fighting large crowds of enemies (I constantly find myself cornered by about 20 syndicate in an arena) and what specific moves or weapons you guys use.

#2 12/07/07 15:12

Tantir

Re: Large group fighting

Only Devil spin kick wink Again, and again, untill only few enemies survives.
Or if I play as Barabas I use Earthqueker. wink;) Even if my friends are in range. They have bad luck. wink)

Last edited by Tantir (12/07/07 15:12)

#3 12/07/07 15:12

Ultimatum479

Throws are your best bet in any such scenario. When fighting unarmed enemies, throws allow you to block all incoming melee attacks. Any throw which holds an enemy in front of you or over you (the basic forward+kick throw is one of the all-around best for this purpose) is great for defending against armed enemies as well.

Work in progress...

#4 12/08/07 04:12

Gumby

I use the carousel cheat ^_^ So much fun...and even though after turning it off, everything seems sooo fast, I actually get better reaction times...

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#5 12/08/07 12:12

Your_Mom
Website

DSK spam = win.

droid803sig.jpg

#6 12/08/07 18:12

Ultimatum479

DSK spam also = lame. v_V I play games as though I'm watching a movie; a win without style is not a win at all.

Work in progress...

#7 12/08/07 19:12

geyser
Website

In the current state of things, throws are more effective in clearing crowds than so-called crowdclearers.
Repeatedly throwing the AI has the same cheaterly feel to me as lariat-spamming: I try simple combos.

I think the wisest way out of the übercrowded OTA situations is carousel + advanced close-range tactics.
I mean, a few well-placed directional kicks are surely more rewarding than a bunch of throws or specials.
In the (near) future, I hope smarter (but fewer) AI will make those crowded corridors a thing of the past.
As for the invulnerability during throws... I think it might be fixed consistently, just not with top priority.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#8 12/08/07 20:12

Your_Mom
Website

I don't spam DSK's per se, I just use them to knock a few guys around, then throw a few of them, twister kick, then chain a few short combos... DSK is what I use to block attacks like Cannonball and to escape when surrounded.

droid803sig.jpg

#9 12/08/07 21:12

Gumby

Carousel = win

#10 12/09/07 04:12

Ultimatum479

The Devil Spin Kick's recovery time is far too long for it to be effective as a counter to the Cannonball Roll, Y_M.

Work in progress...

#11 12/09/07 12:12

Your_Mom
Website

Its always worked for me...There isn;t much recovery time since I can usually chain into a RFP just as the Elite stands up (and is unable to block).
What would you use then? That move is pretty much unblockable otherwise, and in a group, theres often very little room to run sideways to dodge.

droid803sig.jpg

#12 12/09/07 12:12

Gumby

Actually, one of my favorite combos is to do a crouched legsweep, and then follow up with a devils spin kick, its quite cool, as the getup from the sweep can be used for DSK and rising fury.

Also, I have found that enemies can grab you mid Twister Kick...it shouldnt be possible, as you are spinning quite quickly...just like it is possible to grab Muro mid breakdance and throw him...

Is it possilbe for geyser or somebody to make those animations throw proof, but not neccessarily invincible?

#13 12/09/07 12:12

Ultimatum479

YM, I'm referring to the fact that a DSK almost never gets you in the perfect position behind the Elite Striker in order to break his back for daring to roll suicidally at you. Jump over him or roll to the side instead.

Work in progress...

#14 12/09/07 16:12

geyser
Website

Is it possilbe for geyser or somebody to make those animations throw proof, but not neccessarily invincible?

I think the most consistent fix is to make the player "unstoppable" but not "invincible" during those. Maybe "unkillable" somehow...
Same would work for throws: if they can't interrupt your throw but can hurt you plenty, that should be dissuasive enough, right?
The only problem with that is that I'd need to actually sit down and tweak all those, and then test, and tweak and test again... neutral

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#15 12/09/07 19:12

Orochi Konoko

I throw people at eachother mostly. Playing a defensive game of rolling around, tripping them then flipping onto them works nice too. Also, the Screaming Cannon easily pwns crowds of enemies.

"Do I look familiar? Remind you of anyone..?"
"Oh god, YOU! Here, please, take these, just don't kill me!"

#16 12/09/07 22:12

gorilla325

twister kick, twister kick, roll, triple punch, lariat, roll, twister kick, twister kick. 

i never found use in the side kicks and side elbows,  it's not like prince of persia, the enemies were designed for you to use those side moves...  i wish i could use them, but i could not.  need to learn how, i guess.

#17 12/10/07 15:12

Ultimatum479

No, side kicks and punches are plenty useful. They're good instant-knockdowns even when fighting a single enemy, and doubly useful because the AI seems to have much more trouble blocking side attacks than forward ones. (If you wanna keep an enemy down after you knock him down, one of the best ways is to go to the side of him, then hit him with a sideways elbow as he gets up to knock him down again. Lather, rinse, repeat, throwing in sweep kicks or crouching elbow strikes whenever you get a chance.) The same goes for backward attacks to a lesser extent, and since the mid-air momentum reversal glitch counts as a backward attack, that makes it doubly useful.

Geyser, as far as I know, being "unstoppable" doesn't make you unthrowable, does it? The only thing that does, to my knowledge, is being in mid-air, so perhaps the sledgehammer heel and twister kick should make Konoko do a tiny, almost imperceptible jump to deal with Gumby's issue.

Work in progress...

#18 12/10/07 19:12

Your_Mom
Website

Unstoppable = Unthrowable and can't be knocked down.

droid803sig.jpg

Board footer