Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/25/07 10:01

stripeytiger

Ideas for Oni 2

Guys, I think it's cool how you are working on a sequel to Oni!  The funny thing was, I wanted Oni to have a sequel, but I couldn't even imagine what would happen in the sequel.

I saw a little bit of the storyline for Oni 2 post, and I noticed how you are considering putting Mukade back in there.  That would be interesting, because I always thought there were some questions that needed to be answered about him.

I have an idea I'd like to propose...why not put the Iron Demon into Oni 2?  I mean, one of the reasons I bought Oni was because I thought it would be cool to fight a giant white killer robot.  Needless to say, it was disappointing to find out that ID was not put in the final product.  If ID was put into Oni 2, I bet the fans would go crazy about it!  I mean, you could have ID as the leader of those robots; you could have ID that works as a mercenary for both META and Phoenix (I am forever in Wikipedia's debt, because without it, I would never have known that Oni 2 was being worked on and fleshed out), or a whole bunch of other exciting possibilities! big_smile

So what do you think of this idea, guys?

#2 01/25/07 17:01

Phydur

Re: Ideas for Oni 2

i cant say for sure, (i dont really know)
but i think that is an intention that they are striving for...
er... i mean,
i think they already plan to do that...
(put in the Iron Demon)

I intentionally spell dang, dange, FYI.

#3 01/26/07 07:01

stripeytiger

If they are, then that's great! big_smile Man, I've always wanted to go up against that Iron Demon!  If they do put it in there, then Oni 2 gets an A+ in my book already! big_smile

#4 01/26/07 09:01

geyser
Website

Actually, we want to put the ID back into Oni first. As soon as we can import meshes and shuffle content between levels.
Animations are the biggest problem, but Mutant Muro's animations should be OK for a start.
Depending on the free time of the people involved in every project, the ID could also make it into Konoko Payne and Serious Konoko.
(BTW, it's already in Konoko Payne, but it's static... waiting for appropriate animations)

Dunno about Oni 2 (just what is Oni 2, again? smile ). Mechas will definitely be there, but I had no plans about the ID except in a paraquel or immediate sequel (epilogue). Not "20 years later".

Just for the hell of it, two drawings of the ID:
By Guido
By myself

Last edited by geyser (01/26/07 09:01)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#5 01/26/07 18:01

stripeytiger

Um, I'm confused.  Are you working on a sequel for Oni, which uses the Serious Sam 2 engine, or not really?  I could have sworn there was a sequel being worked on by you guys.  At least, that's what Wikipedia seemed to be saying (I have got to learn to not assume that everything Wikipedia says is right).

#6 01/27/07 14:01

geyser
Website

Could you link to the "Wikipedia" article you mention?
Do you mean Oni Galore? ( it's not Wikipedia!!! )
Indeed I've had a look at Croteam's Engine, and it's quite good.
But since they're still debugging it, I'm taking my time as well.
We're getting close to exporting meshes and anims with OUP.
When we do that, SE2 will be my primary target.
Technically, there's no sequel being intensively developed.
Nor will there be any in the near future.
"Serious Konoko", just as "Konoko Payne", is not a "sequel".
It's a test ground. Sorta like a pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha-sequel smile

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#7 01/27/07 18:01

stripeytiger

Actually, geyser, it was Oni Galore I was talking about!  Sorry about that!  Oh well, at least I stand corrected now! sad  I actually thought that was in Wikipedia, but I guess not!

#8 01/27/07 21:01

Mango

stripeytiger wrote:

If they are, then that's great! big_smile Man, I've always wanted to go up against that Iron Demon!  If they do put it in there, then Oni 2 gets an A+ in my book already! big_smile

How would you kill it though? It's made of metal and in the screenshot I've seen, Konoko is shooting it with a petty machine gun. It's not like you'd run up to him and throw him across the room.

Last edited by Mango (01/27/07 22:01)

Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!!

oniuserbaren4.png

#9 01/28/07 07:01

stripeytiger

That's a good question, Mango.  In fact, I've been wondering pretty much the same thing.  Maybe you need to shoot it in it's "eye".  It's clear to me that you've seen the trailer to Oni (With that scene showing Konoko running down a walkway shooting at ID).  I saw that trailer, too. 

Forgive me if this sounds stupid, geyser, but have you seen the Oni trailer?  It has a short scene in there that shows ID clomping and stomping forward (Not to mention firing its guns).  It seems like a clue to me as to how the animation of the ID would work.

One thing that I noticed about Oni.  The game seems set up so that it doesn't need ID.  I having a hard time imagining where ID could be put so that it works.  Maybe it could be on the rooftop in the level "Dawn of the Chyrsalis", where you face Muro.

#10 01/28/07 13:01

Last_Hero

I think perhaps that the level they were planing to place the Iron Demon in was one of the levels that was removed/scrapped/became inaccessible when they decided they were running behind schedule/needed to get the game out to free resources/soullessly butchering one of the greatest games ever made....

Something like that.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die

#11 01/28/07 14:01

geyser
Website

Yes, I've seen the trailer. I have yet to detail all its features HERE, though. That's where you can help, BTW smile
(there's the other trailer, too. HERE)
When we get around to animating the ID, and if the Mutant Muro animations don't look good enough, we'll definitely try and reproduce those from the 1999 trailer. Or make some of our own (walking tanks are not all that hard to animate, actually).

Hint: Please refer to the TCTF manual, Chapter 467.32.2: "Combating the Iron Demon."

There was an interview of the Bungie staff (I think it was during Harry's visit to Bungie West) where they talked about the Iron Demon and how you were supposed to defeat it.
IIRC, they didn't go with the rather subtle "shoot it in the eye": they mentioned blowing it up somehow. Then again, they didn't say "with a big gun" (well, even the WMC doesn't seem big enough against a tank...).
A bomb. The clues available to us hint at a big bomb (either inside the Demon or somewhere in the building). Most probably a "Xiox self-destruct mechanism", same thing as for Shinatama and the Deadly Brain.
Ironically, that means that, most probably, killing the Demon required the obvious (and boring) "find and activate four consoles, three times". With the bonus task of getting the hell out of there once you're done.
Kinda anti-climatic, eh?

Among the few games I've ever played, there's Half-Life. There were quite a few invulnerable bosses there, and you were supposed to defeat them with unconventional means (electrocuting them, frying them with a rocket exhaust, triggering an airstrike on their position, shooting them with a cannon, etc).
I certainly hope/wish defeating the Iron Demon required something as original as that. But the consoles sure look credible enough to me. Consistent with the "variety" that's already in Oni smile

In the 1999 trailer, the Demon appears in the Regional State Building and in another environment (something they seem to refer to as Crossing Zone). In the actual game, you were supposed to encounter it in the BGI HQ (one of the scrapped levels indeed). Our only information on that is a script folder (found on the Big Blue Box Beta version for Mac, by ssg).

Last edited by geyser (01/28/07 14:01)

#12 01/28/07 18:01

Jon God

Well, what I always figured with Iron Demon, was that after having AI problems they decided to drop him and do a quick replacement, which ending up being a deadly brian, which would explain why that fight was so.. "out of place". I remember hearing about the AI problems though I can recall the source, an interview I think. IIRC the fight with iron demon was in the 2nd level, the one with the deadly brian anyways.

I also wonder, if that was the case, did they have something else in mind for the Shinitama fight? if so..?

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#13 01/28/07 18:01

geyser
Website

What did I say about the BGI HQ? The cutscene scripts for that (missing) level clearly mention Konoko encountering the Iron Demon, then running away as a huge blast destroys the building.
Having a Zombie Shinatama mounted into an Iron Demon is indeed appealing, but I don't think the ID as it was originally planned (plotwise) has anything to do with either the Deadly Brain or Zombie Shinatama.
The fact that they toyed around with it in other levels (RSB and "Crossing Zone" in the 1999 trailer) doesn't mean much plotwise.

#14 01/31/07 13:01

stripeytiger

You know who I think would be an interesting character to put into Oni 2 or any other project of that sort?  Musashi!  You know, the Musashi who is connected to BGI, Musashi Manuafacturing, and the Syndicate?

Why this character, you might ask?  That's because Musashi is a character who is mentioned a couple times in the game, but you never meet him or her.  In fact, Musashi could make an interesting villian in other Oni projects.  He or she wouldn't necessary be a major villian, but he or she would make a good minor villian.  What do you think, guys?  smile

#15 01/31/07 13:01

geyser
Website

See HERE. It's not Musashi, but it's better than nothing. Musashi is mentioned there too (after all, "Musashi is owned by BGI")
Whatever was Mai's business at the BGI HQ (fighting the Iron Demon and all that), the head of BGI qualify as minor (or even major) villains.
Musashi could be one of those. I'm aware of another one. THIS one. Not clearly a villain, which is all the better (of course).

Last edited by geyser (01/31/07 14:01)

#16 01/31/07 17:01

Jon God

well, I dunno, I always just thought the deadly brain, and the Shinitama boss fight were tacked on at the last minute, they didn't seem to fit the rest of the game, they were kind of awkward, but *shrugs* guess we'll never know.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#17 02/01/07 04:02

geyser
Website

I always thought that all of Oni was put together at the last minute... smile

#18 08/26/07 16:08

Sheika23

A list of ideas i would like to see in ONI2 (not demands just suggestions)

1  Mukade could be a clone of one of the charachters like Griffen, Muro or Mr. Hasagawa
2  a weapon that is capable of hacking into other charachters so you can control them
3  a bike chase scene
4  you can return to areas in the first game that would have poisonous atmosphere
5  a double agent like "Big" working for the Syndicate
6  Hikari was artificially produced so there could be more than 1 of her making for a good fight
7  a good sniper rifle would be nice
8  melee weapons are always fun like tazer batons
9  different kinds of hypos like stamina boosts or poison resistance or slow-mo like in F.E.A.R.
10 Mech.
11 mounted weapons and depending on Hikari's strength she could rip them off and use them like in FarCry
12 Hacking mini games like when hacking open a door
13 adaptable environment
14 mutant wildlife like mutant dogs and rats and such stuff
15 a level in an SLD junkyard
16 jet pack
17 wall climbing / parkour
18 the deodan mutants are gunna' need some big guns
19 grenades
20 mace
21 a space station level without gravity (hey its cyberpunk)
22 the ability to swim
23 Give a deadly brain legs like it wanted so it can fight the deodan
24 Blood
25 ppl can be infected mid-combat with a chrysalis
26 a weapon to remove a crysalis
27 thermal vision or night vision goggles
28 the Syndicate are the new "good guys" or so thought to be
29 Bruises after getting punched
30 multilayer which i know you are working on

I have more but im still working on getting my scanner to work to post those ideas

THe 0rijin4L SHEIKA-23

#19 08/28/07 12:08

EL

Long list...

What would you need mace for?

elgamercarduj3.jpg

#20 08/28/07 21:08

Your_Mom
Website

melee weapons, though a flail (spike ball on chain) would be cooler than a mace tongue

droid803sig.jpg

#21 08/29/07 00:08

geyser
Website

http://www.nunchuck.net/
How many nuns would a nunchuck chuck if a nunchuck could chuck nuns?

Last edited by geyser (08/29/07 00:08)

#22 10/19/07 21:10

Magus
Website

It seems to me that a level of telekenetic abillities should exsist after a certain point in her development.
Just a random thought. Not that it's really supported by much. Though I think it would fall in with the kind of hyper evolution brought on by the crysallis (Sp?-seen it spelled several different ways). Anyhow with the advent of better physics sources to draw on in game creation now it seems like it could make it a lot more interactive... or it could even just be limited to some sort of "spider sense" level of increased awareness.

I also agree with "battle damage" though I think only blood and bruises were mentioned, even limping or decreased agillity/attack power for Konoko herself when under a certain level of health.

Abillity to jump to first person view fluidly when going to weapons.

Alternate fire options on said weapons

I think I saw mace mentioned above ..not sure about that one but some kind of staff or nonprojectile weapon would be cool.  ...nunchucks do seem to fit the combat theme from the current release

Outdoor levels

Another as of yet unmentioned brother/sister , or another test subject that also has the crysallis.

Increased jumping and speed during Daodan Effect

AOE (area of effect) - Maybe a 360 knock back or maybe something even more intense

Less areas where half the difficulty comes from keeping from falling 1000 feet because apparently people in the future don't believe in handrails. ...there are other ways to keep things interesting, most annoying thing in this game for me has been using a throw to toss an enemy off, only to follow him rolling back to my feet.

All these I think are good ideas but the most important part of a good game aside from raw playability is a solid storyline with a few good twists and mystery.

Last edited by Magus (10/19/07 22:10)

The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable.
- Sun Tzu

#23 10/20/07 21:10

Sheika23

ya about the mace the idea behind that was to disable the enemy like the shock rifle and run past them or disable their ability to shoot clearly

also another idea is what if they harvested Muro's brain and made him into a deadly deodan brain

one thing that i absolutely hated in oni was that you couldn't make head-shots because no matter where you shot them it always did the same damage (probably because that would have made it to easy)

THe 0rijin4L SHEIKA-23

#24 10/21/07 07:10

Ultimatum479

Magus wrote:

It seems to me that a level of telekenetic abillities should exsist after a certain point in her development.

Nothing necessarily supports that in the plot.

Magus wrote:

Abillity to jump to first person view fluidly when going to weapons.

Agreed.

Magus wrote:

Alternate fire options on said weapons

Some _do_ have that already, but admittedly very few.

Magus wrote:

Another as of yet unmentioned brother/sister , or another test subject that also has the crysallis.

No. The plot-related dialogue and computer terminals were pretty specific concerning Muro and Konoko, so it'd be a stretch to add an unmentioned Daodan.

Magus wrote:

Less areas where half the difficulty comes from keeping from falling 1000 feet because apparently people in the future don't believe in handrails. ...there are other ways to keep things interesting, most annoying thing in this game for me has been using a throw to toss an enemy off, only to follow him rolling back to my feet.

Try spamming jump after a throw, then. wink But yeah, handrails and the ability to throw people _over_ them would be nice.

Work in progress...

#25 10/21/07 11:10

Magus
Website

Nothing necessarily supports that in the plot.

well I was thinking specifically of her "feeling" that ninja/hacker in the rooftops chase, though it was never made perfectly clear why this was, they kind of alluded to him having a crysalis. The whole crysalis idea implies a sort of "hyper evolution" though you'd think the mind would evolve as well.

Last edited by Magus (10/21/07 11:10)

The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable.
- Sun Tzu

Board footer