Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/30/13 11:01

Iritscen

Help needed for short Daodan DLL test

Hey guys, I could really use some testers for the last version of the Daodan DLL (from August 2011) before including it in the AE.  I don't believe it will take more than 15 minutes to do the required part.  I need to make sure that we provide default settings that will work for most people; I am hearing different results from different people so far, and I need more data.

The DLL that was used in the 2010 AE didn't have Flatline or some other features that have been added since, like new BSL commands, so I didn't want to use it again for this AE if I could use the newest build.  However, it probably isn't necessary to release the latest version with the AE if the old version works better for most people.  Hence this test, to figure out how many people the 2011 DLL works for, with different settings.

If you could download this package to make sure you have the right DLL:
http://mods.oni2.net/node/243

...and then fill out this form, it would be much appreciated:
Poll closed, thanks for the help.

Please try to test only in Windowed Mode so we can eliminate one variable.

I'll see the poll results on the back-end, but if you have any additional comments or see an issue with the poll, let me know here.  Thanks!

Last edited by Iritscen (02/15/13 18:02)

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#2 01/30/13 11:01

Iritscen

Re: Help needed for short Daodan DLL test

Because I'll tell you, right now on this Win7 machine the DLL isn't working for me at all with any setting, but the 2010 AE DLL does.

#3 01/30/13 14:01

Alloc
Website

Windowhack=true (oh, btw, it's "true"/"false" and not "on"/"off" wink ): Video plays but is not focusable. Thus if you want to skip it you have to press a key before clicking anywhere so the video still has the focus (it gets the focus at start). Same for outro. Otherwise everything worked wink

ONI2.net, link to just any important resource-pages about ONI.

#4 01/30/13 14:01

Iritscen

Interesting.  I can skip the intro in that focus-less situation, but even then, I get a black screen as the Main Menu.  Whenever the game even makes it to the Main Menu, it's always black with the new Daodan.  The old AE's DLL skips the intro, but otherwise works great.  I think we will need to compare our machines closely, as we are both running Win7 64-bit.

#5 01/30/13 20:01

Iritscen

*cough* Only one tester, so far?  Did everyone die?

#6 01/30/13 21:01

Dirk Gently
Website

some of us are on macs smile

#7 01/30/13 21:01

Iritscen

Yeah, but most are on Windows!

#8 01/31/13 00:01

Lithium

Tested. The intro video only played when Daodan was Off and Window was On, the window disappeared until the intro was over. Every other time only the logo showed. Using Vista x86.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#9 01/31/13 06:01

Samer
Website

for me with this configuration:
[Patch]
usedaodangl=false
windowhack=false

Windowed mode
Intro : works on any resolution, same resolution as game and can skip it
Game : works and covers taskbar
Outro : works but only sound no video .. video appears when i lower my resolution to less than 1360x768

FullScreen:
Same results

with this configuration
[Patch]
usedaodangl=true
windowhack=false

Windowed Mode
Intro : runs in a small window with borders (much lower resolution than game), I can skip it
Game: runs but doesn't cover taskbar in my high resolution (1360x768)
Outro: crashes game

FullScreen
same results

-------------------------
with this configuration:
[Patch]
usedaodangl=true
windowhack=true

Windowed mode :
Intro : flickers screen, can't skip it, small window without borders
Game: if i wait for intro to be done .. game runs doesn't cover taskbar
outro : crashes game

Full screen same result

----------------------

with this configuration:
[Patch]
usedaodangl=false
windowhack=true

windowed mode:

Intro : flickers screen, can't skip it, small window without borders
Game: if i wait for intro to be done .. game runsand covers taskbar
outro : RUNS ! on the high resolution

same for fullscreen

so for me : outro only works when usedaodangl false and windowhack true
intro works when windowhack is false
game covers taskbar when usedaodangl is false

so for me best option is with both false, the only downside in that case outro only shows sound

btw with the old daodon the intro and outro don't show for me .. (they never did not with the old AE and not now) ...

P.S: didn't fill the questionnaire cz the options don't apply to my case

Last edited by Samer (01/31/13 06:01)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#10 01/31/13 09:01

Iritscen

Thanks for testing so comprehensively, Samer.  Although I'm quite puzzled by some of your results:
- you seem to have a proper windowed mode without either patch on, whereas I think most of us get a borderless window in the upper-left corner in that situation (this is part of what the patches were supposed to fix!)
- your results differ between usedaodangl=true/windowhack=true and usedaodangl=true/windowhack=false; the code I'm looking at ignores the windowhack setting when usedaodangl is true, so you should get the same results in both cases (which is why I didn't put the "both on" option in my poll).

Also, since you didn't fill out the poll, I don't know what Windows version/bitness you have :-)  That's helpful information to have (I imagine you've probably said what you have in the past, but humor me; as a Mac user, I never paid attention to Windows issues before this last week or so).

Well, regardless of the confusing details of the situation, it's become clear to me that the code in the current Daodan DLL is just not reliable enough.  I think we might end up just offering the old AE's DLL with the new AE.

On that note, can I ask you one thing, Samer?  You said the intro/outro never worked for you with the old DLL.  Was that even when using binkplay.exe?  For your reference (or anyone else who's following this thread), check out the node linked to in my first post and you'll find a second attachment called Oni+Daodan_old.zip, which is the old AE's Daodan material.  It now includes binkplay.exe, so if you don't mind giving that old DLL a try, Samer (it doesn't know daodan.ini, so you have no settings to worry about), I'd be interested in confirming whether that handles intro/outro for you.

#11 01/31/13 09:01

Alloc
Website

More tests (no outro-tests):

Both Windows: Intro video behaves the same as described before for winhack=true (can't focus it once you made it loose its focus).
W7 VM - Old Daodan: Works
WXP VM - Old Daodan: Works

With false+false I get the vid fullscreen and the game in a borderless window. Especially the borderless window is really annoying here though Wine should be able to add its own border wink
winhack=true doesn't show the video but plays the sound. Can't skip intro in that case of course.
daodangl=true -> intro shows, game crashes directly at start (not even main menu showing)
Linux/Wine - Old Daodan: Works

EDIT:
Looks like right now the old DLL is the most stable one as at least for me it works on any system (windowed) with both video and game being in a bordered window. Don't know about fullscreen+W7 though wink
And AFAIK it definitely does not support the chinese stuff (even though I had problems getting that to run lately anyway).

Last edited by Alloc (01/31/13 09:01)

#12 01/31/13 14:01

Samer
Website

Iritscen wrote:

- you seem to have a proper windowed mode without either patch on, whereas I think most of us get a borderless window in the upper-left corner in that situation (this is part of what the patches were supposed to fix!)

mm I tested windows mode but with my high resolution .. meaning my default screen resolution is 1360 x 768 .. so even in windowed mode i set the resolution to 1360x768 thus it covers the whole screen so i don't notice the borders of the game or not .. but if i set resolution to lower, then yes I also get the borderless unmovable window .. so the results become if i set resolution to 720x480

usedaodangl=false
windowhack=false
game is borderless and unmovable ..
intro and outro run, but they switch to full screen (1360x720) while the game runs as 720x480

usedaodangl=true
windowhack=false and resolution: 720x480 :
game is bordered and movable,
intro works well as 720x480 .. but outro crashes game

usedaodangl=false
windowhack=true
intro runs small and unresponsive flickering the screen
game is bordered and movable
outro crashes game

Also, since you didn't fill out the poll, I don't know what Windows version/bitness you have :-)  That's helpful information to have (I imagine you've probably said what you have in the past, but humor me; as a Mac user, I never paid attention to Windows issues before this last week or so).

sorry yes i did mention it to Alloc on AE2installer thread before .. I have Windows 7 x32 (x86)

On that note, can I ask you one thing, Samer?  You said the intro/outro never worked for you with the old DLL.  Was that even when using binkplay.exe?  For your reference (or anyone else who's following this thread), check out the node linked to in my first post and you'll find a second attachment called Oni+Daodan_old.zip, which is the old AE's Daodan material.  It now includes binkplay.exe, so if you don't mind giving that old DLL a try, Samer (it doesn't know daodan.ini, so you have no settings to worry about), I'd be interested in confirming whether that handles intro/outro for you.

I downloaded the zip ... it doesn't have a binkplay.exe in it ... can you recheck if it does ? .. my proxy might be sending an old version instead ...

#13 01/31/13 14:01

Alloc
Website

Samer wrote:

I downloaded the zip ... it doesn't have a binkplay.exe in it ... can you recheck if it does ? .. my proxy might be sending an old version instead ...

It does, I did the tests with that archive myself earlier today wink
Sending you an mail with the zip.

#14 01/31/13 14:01

Samer
Website

ok thanks Chris, got it and tested ..the results:
Windowed mode 720x480 resolution:
intro : works, outro : works .. game: windowed with borders and movable

Fullscreen 1280x768
intro: works, outro:works .. game: full screen

Fullscreen 1360x720
intro: works, outro:sound no video, game:full screen ...

so ... yes like my initial suggestion http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … 609#p44609 and like you guys said I think it's best to use the old daodon .. I'm just curious what more features did the new daodon have (or was meant to have?)

Last edited by Samer (01/31/13 14:01)

#15 01/31/13 16:01

Iritscen

Well, I don't have an exact list of differences between this and that DLL, but take a look at the wiki page before I revert all the changes I spent hours on: http://wiki.oni2.net/Daodan_DLL.  That was the documentation for the latest version of the DLL.  I know, for example, that the older DLL doesn't have the added BSL commands, nor Flatline, nor multibyte support....

#16 01/31/13 18:01

s10k
Website

I haven't got time yet to do this tests, but when I played with this new dll I noticed that weapons in the game fade much faster than in normal version which feels bad in the gameplay.

#17 01/31/13 19:01

Iritscen

That shouldn't be the case....  The default fade time is supposed to be 360, and the Daodan is supposed to set it to 4800!  If you have a couple minutes, try testing the wp_fadetime variable while in-game with the new Daodan loaded.

#18 01/31/13 23:01

Samer
Website

just a thought ..
since the trouble wit the new daodon is mainly with the intro\outro and windowed mode.
if the features provided in the new daodon outweigh the ability to run windowed mode and intro\outro then you simply can remove support for windowed mode and remove support for running the intro\outro in this coming AE and avoid all the problems. (does anyone use windowed mode? I never needed nor wanted to ... and intro\outro, eventhough now they work i usually skip or disable them)
maybe have a poll ... asking users which would they rather have: a beta multiplayer or windowed mode .. new bsl commands or intro\outro etc ..

p.s: gamma control is not working for me neither in windowed nor fullscreen mode with older dadon

Last edited by Samer (01/31/13 23:01)

#19 02/03/13 11:02

s10k
Website

Intro & Game
DaodanGL off, WindowHack off    Fine               
DaodanGL off, WindowHack ON    Issues, intro appears without windows, flashy and I can't skip it (mouse locked)               
DaodanGL ON, WindowHack off    Intro plays in a small window, game runs fine but with taskbar visible

Outro
DaodanGL off, WindowHack off    Doesn't play (only after ctrl+alt+del and badly)               
DaodanGL off, WindowHack ON    Can't load outro due to intro issues written above           
DaodanGL ON, WindowHack off    Plays well but with taskbar/window visible

That shouldn't be the case....  The default fade time is supposed to be 360, and the Daodan is supposed to set it to 4800!  If you have a couple minutes, try testing the wp_fadetime variable while in-game with the new Daodan loaded.

Set to 4800 ingame and solved the problem. But if I don't they will disappear very fast (like 15 seconds).

Last edited by s10k (02/03/13 12:02)

#20 02/03/13 12:02

Iritscen

Okay, thanks for the results.  Not sure what is up with the fade time.

I do think we'll go back to the old DLL for the AE -- the new BSL hasn't really been used anywhere, and Flatline has its own thread devoted to testing the alpha, so we don't really need to provide the unfinished functionality in the AE.  The only real loss is the multibyte support.  At some point maybe we can iron out the bugs in the new code and get the new DLL in a more polished state.

#21 02/03/13 12:02

s10k
Website

Agree.

#22 02/23/13 22:02

Samer
Website

Samer wrote:

p.s: gamma control is not working for me neither in windowed nor fullscreen mode with older dadon

guys any idea how to fix this ? it looks pretty dark on my computer and I really need the gamma .. Is it working for eveybody else ?

#23 02/24/13 09:02

Samer
Website

Mmm hmm i just want to know if gamma works for others .. Alloc, iritscen ?

#24 02/24/13 10:02

Alloc
Website

Gamma is working fine for me in the currently shipped Daodan (I think this is the old one?) in fullscreen. In windowed mode it doesn't work but that's normal for games AFAIK.

#25 02/28/13 16:02

Samer
Website

the one right now on the depot is the newest daodon that others had other issues with ... example

s10k wrote:

Set to 4800 ingame and solved the problem. But if I don't they will disappear very fast (like 15 seconds).

i also have that issue with the one downloaded from depot.
whereas the older dadon that you guys said probably will use instead (not on the dept currently)

Iritscen wrote:

I do think we'll go back to the old DLL for the AE

doesn't allow gamma to work properly for me. can any one confirm gamma with that one ? (same one that comes with the 2010AE) i.e this one: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22609960/binkw32.zip

Last edited by Samer (02/28/13 16:02)

Board footer