Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 03/13/12 14:03

Iritscen

Griffin HD

It's been four years in the making (how's that for build-up?), but I finally finished a project I started shortly after joining the community.  My goal was always to improve Griffin's head (and leave the body alone), for a couple reasons: one, Griffin's head had a combination of a painful lack of detail and a rough texture in ways that bothered me more than any other character's heads.  Secondly, his head's model and texture is simply not consistent with in-game 2D art for the character.

So, as a bright-eyed newbie, I started the work in February 2008, learning Blender as I went, but by May I was both burned out and too distracted to continue (I was busy moving to another state).  I toyed with it again in the summer of 2011, but some more real-life distractions came up.  I finally got my act together last week enough to clean up my work for a release.  So, depending on how you measure the time, this is probably the longest anyone's ever spent on a mod, but in reality it's just because I'm an awful procrastinator wink

The new mesh takes Griffin's head from about 170 polygons to 1700, and brings it more in line with the game art that I used as a reference (such as here and here).  But this mod wouldn't be worth looking at if it weren't for the fine work on the face texture performed by Severed.  My original intention was to paint my own HD face for Griffin, but when Severed's version came out, and was actually on-model with the 2D art, I knew I would never be able to top it.  Bozzman's sharp texture work was used for the SWAT uniform, and our pal ViciousReilly re-did Griffin's work attire.

Additional thanks to VR for pressuring me to finish the work with the threat of an embargo, and to EdT for helping me with assembly and testing of the model.  I hope that Severed and Samer are okay with their contributions being used without permission!

Update (2020/6/13): Now using Severed's V3 head texture.

Download here: http://mods.oni2.net/node/199

BEFORE:
GriffinOPold.jpg

AFTER:
GriffinOPnew1.jpg
GriffinOPnew2.jpg
GriffinSWAT.jpg

Last edited by Iritscen (06/13/20 20:06)

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#2 03/13/12 14:03

TOCS

Re: Griffin HD

That looks great! smile

I might give it a shot when I finally decide to install Oni again.

#3 03/13/12 16:03

s10k
Website

Shouldn't his eyebrows be a little larger? Still looks awesome.

#4 03/13/12 17:03

Samer
Website

never thought i'd use this word to describe griffin ... beautiful. smile
glad you finally released it Iritscen, and thanks for giving me credit, though my work is minimal compared to the awesome work of VR, Severed and yourself.

Now, I can finally make him that advanced Golden TCTF suit big_smile .. (someday)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a HD Kerr tongue poor guy is the only main character that still looks horrible tongue

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#5 03/13/12 17:03

Iritscen

Script_10k wrote:

Shouldn't his eyebrows be a little larger? Still looks awesome.

It's hard to say, since the original Griffin's monstrous eyebrows can distort one's sense of proportion smile  But it was Severed's choice to gradually tone down the eyebrows; see here and then here.

Samer: No, thank you, your textures were helpful in getting a last-minute improvement made to the Griffin SWAT model as we were putting things together.  Otherwise he'd have one sharp outfit and one ugly dithered one smile  I had once planned to make an HD Kerr, but the number of other projects on my plate doesn't make it possible at this point.

Last edited by Iritscen (03/13/12 17:03)

#6 03/13/12 18:03

Knox

That is friggin' AMAZING work. Very nice job, Iritscen.

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#7 03/13/12 19:03

kyletm57

Awesome work, looks fantastic!

banner2440.jpg

#8 03/13/12 22:03

Lithium

Nice mod, what a difference.. @__@

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#9 03/13/12 23:03

Mukade

Very sexy. My only concern is that his eyes seem a teeny bit too low and close together :-/
But nice big_smile

Last edited by Mukade (03/13/12 23:03)

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#10 03/14/12 11:03

Lukas Kreator

Wow, awesome! Certainly much better than before.

Some suggestions and stuff:
- I know you are not concerned with the body, but in the last screenshot, the head seems a bit too bright;
- I don't know... his gaze/look has a different feeling... maybe it is just me.

#11 03/14/12 14:03

Delano762
Website

I don't know, but in second screenshot his head looks like some kind of alien...

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#12 03/14/12 15:03

Iritscen

Mukade wrote:

Very sexy. My only concern is that his eyes seem a teeny bit too low and close together :-/
But nice big_smile

Lukas Kreator wrote:

- I know you are not concerned with the body, but in the last screenshot, the head seems a bit too bright;
- I don't know... his gaze/look has a different feeling... maybe it is just me.

Delano762 wrote:

I don't know, but in second screenshot his head looks like some kind of alien

I think some of these concerns are simply due to the way that Severed re-interpreted Griffin; the facial expression is different and the eyes are indeed smaller.

And obviously his head shape changed a bit too.  But hopefully if you compare his appearance to, for example, the talking head in the second shot, you see the similarity.  I wasn't going for realism with my modeling, but rather I wanted something that was still stylized and that matched the 2D art.

I do think that the texture is a bit light, but the reason it's so bright in the last shot is that I increased the brightness so his armor could be seen better.

#13 03/14/12 20:03

gmsly

Awesome work!

#14 03/15/12 19:03

Dirk Gently
Website

Fantastic, absolutely fantastic.

#15 03/16/12 07:03

Iritscen

Just for hyucks, since I had previous versions of the model saved:

griffinhd.gif

Last edited by Iritscen (07/23/17 16:07)

#16 03/17/12 13:03

berry

The new griffin looks older ...and gentler? O.o reminds me of a balding Santa hehe nice work anyway

Hmm...

#17 08/05/12 00:08

Samer
Website

Hi Iritscen smile .. I'm going to update the character re-texture package which will include much better new light black ops textures, i will also change my package number to 23910 instead of 29000, so that all my mods are closer in number ad so that severed's package 24000 takes priority over mine in case one day he updates the facial textures (which sure will be better than mine) .. this makes ur package higher in number 28000 and the black ops textures from it will overwrite the new ones .. so as a solution for that .. may I once i release my retexture package either remove the blackops textures from urs or update them too ? or another solution might be to leave my retexture package as 29000 .. but set severed's as 29100 for example so it still takes priority over mine.

#18 08/05/12 06:08

Iritscen

Sure, updating the textures in the Griffin package might be best, because VR's "plainclothes" texture for Griffin HD is unique to my package, so it would be nice if the armor texture also continued to be part of the package.  That way Griffin HD can still be "stand-alone" and not require a separate package for all the intended textures to be present.

#19 08/05/12 19:08

RuK

Great work!
Now Grinffin looks even more like Aramaki ;p

#20 08/07/12 09:08

Samer
Website

Updated the package to include the newer blackops textures by Bozzman, and changed the description to include his name .. you may want to modify the screenshot Iritscen.

#21 08/09/12 17:08

Samer
Website

Iritscen please change the description here and in the Authoritative Third mod directory to include Bozzman's name instead of mine .. I don't want to take the credit for his textures.

#22 08/09/12 17:08

Iritscen

Okay, I'll do that when I update the screenshots tomorrow (headed out the door now).

#23 08/14/12 19:08

Samer
Website

tongue

#24 08/16/12 16:08

Iritscen

Hmm, I went to take a new screenshot, but the new texture's color channels seem to be flipped for me.  The armor is now red(dish).

#25 08/16/12 17:08

Samer
Website

mac thing .. hmm needs channel swaping, funny though how come my textures worked  before i didn't swap channels yikes if u have the newer mac don't what it's called tongue intel i guess they should work .. Otherwise we'll need to sawp the channels, i can't do it and test it so if you or Edt got the time.

Board footer