Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 09/26/07 13:09

King Klear

Black screen after intro movie

Ok.. let's see if you can help me:

I've installed the game without a problem, run the game, watched the intro and got BLAMed.
I played with compatibility settings a little for a a while, but in the end I went online and found the patched exe. Yay! No more blam!

The problem is, where used to be blam, there is darkness now. The computer blinks a little, as if thinking (not too hard) about it, but nothing changes. Oddly enough, my floppy drive seems to think a little too at first.

Anyway, in a few minutes I get bored and close the game with task manager. I've read the forums and did a search in the old one for "black screen" and though the search in the older forum was fruitless, this thread gave me a lot to try before posting here. Obviously, none of the suggestions there worked, but just so you don't have to suggest them again¨. Here's what I've done:

1) My startup.txt is exactly same as the one posted by picius14 (exept I have a GeForce 6600)... it ends with "GL_SGIX_shadow GL_SUN_slice_accum GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_swap_control "

And it does load all the OpenGL stuff, though I really, really use the XP ready, fixed, tweaked, patched oni.exe. Honestly!

2) Anyway, I removed the intro.bik file and it didn't help. It only.. removes the intro. Nothing else.

3) Tried the -noswitch parameter. It does what's supposed to do - now the blackness covers only quarter of the screen. But it's still just a black rectangle, not a game sad

4) At last I got to the Nvidia specific fix, as described here. Sadly, the "Extension limit" slider is disabled. No matter what I do, I can't move it. Of course, it's stuck on the wrong position.
Now that I think of it, I'll probably reinstall my drivers while waiting for your response, though they should be up-to-date, since I last updated them.. uhhh.. last friday?

5) I searched the old forums, found no answer. Might try again with "blank screen" instead of "black screen", but my head hurts too much to do so now smile

So... to sum it all up - the game doesn't work because of the common problem which is fixed in the XP patched file. For some reason, on some computers the XP patch doesn't fix the preoblem, though it manages to get rid of the "Blam! Oni crashed" thing, which leaves me only with the black screen. And for some unrelated and unknown reason, I am unable to do the alternative fix though setting of my NVidia card.

So... if you can help me, I'll appriciate it.

PS, I'll try running the game without the fixed exe and see if it produces a different startup.txt...

#2 09/26/07 20:09

LastmanSAC

Re: Black screen after intro movie

What a sec, there's a patch for windows XP?
can you tell me where to get it?

Thanks

#3 09/26/07 21:09

EdT
Website

LastmanSAC:  Take a look at this page:
http://wiki.oni2.net/index.php/Troubleshooting/Blam

#4 09/27/07 03:09

King Klear

so... that won't help me, right?

Besides, the wiki seems to be down at the moment. I can't manage to load the page...

#5 09/27/07 09:09

paradox-01

@ King Klear: It seems that you don't tried the "daodan" yet. It should fix openGL-problems and gives you additional functions. I don't know too much about it but it's worth to test. (Download the dll-file, placed it in same folder of your Oni.exe. If the screen keeps black replace also your old exe.)

#6 09/28/07 06:09

King Klear

Ok... I've tried to run it with the .dll and that oni.exe, and nothing changed. Startup.txt still lists all the GL things, but also a line somewhere "initializing daodan" (or something like that).

Aynway, I tried running the game with the .dll present and with the XP ready oni.exe, and though the result was again the familiar blackness, startup.txt no longer has the GL things!
Seems like I've moved forward a little... Here's my latest startup:

initializing daodan...
begin initializing oni
looking for the game data folder
initializing the template manager
DataFolder = GameDataFolder
Created a file iterator for the data folder.
Got Level Info for level0_Final.dat.
Valid Level level0_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level1_Final.dat.
Valid Level level1_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level2_Final.dat.
Valid Level level2_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level3_Final.dat.
Valid Level level3_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level4_Final.dat.
Valid Level level4_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level6_Final.dat.
Valid Level level6_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level8_Final.dat.
Valid Level level8_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level9_Final.dat.
Valid Level level9_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level10_Final.dat.
Valid Level level10_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level11_Final.dat.
Valid Level level11_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level12_Final.dat.
Valid Level level12_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level13_Final.dat.
Valid Level level13_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level14_Final.dat.
Valid Level level14_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level18_Final.dat.
Valid Level level18_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level19_Final.dat.
Valid Level level19_Final.dat
calling TMrRegisterTemplates
calling ONrRegisterTemplates
initializing oni platform specific code
initializing sound system 2, basic level
initializing basic sound system 2 layer...
DirectSoundCreate
direct sound dwFlags = f5f
direct sound dwFreeHw3DAllBuffers = 16
direct sound dwFreeHw3DStaticBuffers = 16
direct sound dwFreeHw3DStreamingBuffers = 16
direct sound dwFreeHwMemBytes = 0
direct sound dwFreeHwMixingAllBuffers = 16
direct sound dwFreeHwMixingStaticBuffers = 16
direct sound dwMaxContigFreeHwMemBytes = 0
direct sound dwMaxHw3DAllBuffers = 17
direct sound dwFreeHwMixingStaticBuffers = 16
direct sound dwFreeHwMixingStreamingBuffers = 16
direct sound dwMaxContigFreeHwMemBytes = 0
direct sound dwMaxHw3DAllBuffers = 17
direct sound dwMaxHw3DStaticBuffers = 17
direct sound dwMaxHw3DStreamingBuffers = 17
direct sound dwMaxHwMixingAllBuffers = 17
direct sound dwMaxHwMixingStaticBuffers = 17
direct sound dwMaxHwMixingStreamingBuffers = 17
direct sound dwMaxSecondarySampleRate = 100000
direct sound dwMinSecondarySampleRate = 100
direct sound dwPlayCpuOverheadSwBuffers = 0
direct sound dwPrimaryBuffers = 1
direct sound dwSize = 96
direct sound dwTotalHwMemBytes = 0
direct sound dwUnlockTransferRateHwBuffers = 0
setting the direct sound cooperative level
initializing oni persistance
initializing scripting
initializing binary data system
initializing imaging
initializing image system...
initializing motoko
initializing 3D display system..
initializing geometry engines...
initializing draw engines...
initializing physics
initializing oni motoko
initializing local input
initializing input system...
initializing animation system
initializing animation system...
initializing environment
initializing text system
initializing the console
initializing the materials
initializing the full sound system 2
initializing full sound system 2...
initializing particle 3
initializing oni particle 3
initializing env particle system
initializing physics
initializing game state
initializing AI 2
initializing window manager
initializing film system
initializing level
initializing oni scripting
initializing OBDr
initializing OBJr
initializing oni cinematics
initializing oni sound
initializing oni movie
initializing the pause screen
finished oni initializing
loading level 0...
setting up 3d engine...
creating new OpenGL context
OpenGL platform initialization
Using standard Windows gamma adjustment
opengl color bits = 24
opengl depth bits = 32
OpenGL vendor = NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer = GeForce 6600/AGP/SSE
OpenGL version = 2.1.1
multitexturing is available ...
nVidia register combiner multitexturing being used
OpenGL supports 4 texturing units
glBlendColor() available
GL_COMPRESSED_RGB_S3TC_DXT1_EXT
GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT3_EXT
GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT5_EXT
OpenGL texture compression available
wglSwapIntervalEXT supported; vsync= 1
Initializing the Oni Window...
displaying splash screen...
configuring console...
engine startup complete, launch the out-of-game UI...

I've never seen how it should look like when the game runs fine, but this seems alright to me.

I'm going to try installing the game on my notebook, see if I can get it running there.

Oh, and thank you all for your help so far...  smile¨

Edit: I've installed it on my notebook and it ran fine on first attempt (using only the XP fixed .exe). That confirms that it's a problem with my PC, likely GFX card.
The mouse cursor lagged like hell on the notebook, but I think I've seen this discussed elsewhere on the forum.

Anyway, being able to play on my notebook isn't really a solution, since it's old and crappy and tends to overheat when playing games, which causes it to shut down instantly. If there is any hope, I'd still prefer to make the game work on my desktop PC...

Last edited by King Klear (09/28/07 08:09)

#7 10/04/07 11:10

King Klear

Errrrr... bump?

Do you think there is anything else I could do, or should I give up my hope to play oni on this computer?

#8 10/04/07 11:10

Ether

Well, I don't believe it will help, but here you are: Try to reinstall Oni, it could be caused by corrupted data files. Look here for more: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … php?id=115

#9 10/06/07 12:10

King Klear

No.. that didn't work, unfortunately. Díky za typ, každopádně smile

That means that after several reinstals (both standard and using .cab extractor) the game still doesn't work, but on my laptop it worked instantly (though it was unplayable) using the same CD.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that I don't suffer the good old Blam error but something new. Starttup.txt turns out as above (fine), but I've noticed there is a debugger.txt report file. Here's what it has to say:

### warning: particle class 'w3_phr_e01' emitter 5 can't find emitted particle 'w3_phr_p08'

### warning: particle class 'pstream_shooter' emitter 2 can't find emitted particle 'w_pstream_shot2'

### warning: particle class 'flame2_e' emitter 2 can't find emitted particle 'test_smoke'

### warning: particle class 'env_cloud02_p01' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle ''

### warning: particle class 'env_cloud02_p02' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle ''

### warning: particle class 'env_cloud01_p01b' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle ''

### warning: particle class 'env_cloud01_p01a' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle ''

### warning: particle class 'env_cloud01_p01' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle ''

### warning: particle class 'm_block' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle 'm_p01'

### warning: particle class 'muroglow_e01' emitter 2 can't find emitted particle 'muroglow_p02'

### warning: particle class 'phase_shot' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle ''

Can you make something out of that mess?

#10 10/10/07 18:10

Skiejpan

I have almost excatly the same problem with Oni.

I've installed Oni without any problems, and run the game. Intro played fine and then nothing happened. I've got black screen, so I had to switch to task manager and terminate oni.exe process. After that my desktop res was 640x480 and setting higher res by control panel doesn't work - it justs prompt for system restart in order to change resolution. When using -noswitch command then the resolution isn't changed to 640x480, and after killing oni.exe I still have 1280x800 res, but it looks like graphic card driver is being freezed or something, because when I'll run Oni second time then it freezes when playing intro movie, not after the movie, and while scrolling ie. file list then the scroll isn't smooth, like I would have standart VGA drivers just like after fresh WinXP install.

I've spend few hours on this and I've tryied everything about blank screen that I've found in here (XP patches, removing intro.bik, etc, but nothing seems to work. It doesn't even change a little bit. It is always like this - intro movie is playing fine, but after that it is black screen and nothing happens.

Also in my startup.txt there are GL extensions listed, but the list isn't last part of the file, it is ending with line (I can't post the file right now, because I've uninstalled Oni):

engine startup complete, launch the out-of-game UI...

My system specs are (laptop):
WinXP Pro
Athlon Mobile 3200+
768MB Ram
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 64MB

Last edited by Skiejpan (10/10/07 18:10)

#11 10/13/07 05:10

King Klear

Hmm... at least I'm not the only one with this problem.

Could you check your debugger.txt file if it is the same as what I posted above?
That could confirm we have indeed the same problem.

Edit: Note that the problem doesn't seem to be nvidia specific.

Last edited by King Klear (10/13/07 05:10)

#12 10/13/07 08:10

Skiejpan

My debugger.txt file is completly the same as yours. I can't post it because I've uninstalled Oni and I don't have a CD with me, but as far as I remember it looks the same as yours.

Also a friend of mine have installed Oni on his laptop (Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, ATI Mobility X1300, WinXP Pro) and run the game without any problem at all, even without WinXP Patch.

#13 10/14/07 20:10

m2

My debugger.txt shows the same too. But Oni runs perfectly on my comp. So it hasn't anything to do with the black screen.

http://oni.bungie.org/forums/index.php? … #post_2817 - well, not really a solution...
http://oni.bungie.org/forums/index.php? … #post_3752 - broken link to a solution. The only person that has a full copy of that forum is Harry, IIRC.

It seems that it is a graphics card driver problem. Have you tried some really old drivers? (f.e. from http://www.voodoofiles.com). Or try to tell your computer to use the standard VGA driver. (I've no clue if that really works. It's just an idea.)

#14 10/15/07 15:10

EdT
Website

Here's the comments from the broken link thread:

I had this problem with the demo. I suspect you have an Nvidia graphics card. The problem tends to be that these Nvidia cards run too many OpenGL extensions for the old OpenGL games. You need to create a new profile in your 'application profiles' specifically for Oni (go display control panel > settings > advanced > [graphics card name] tab > performance and quality settings). Then select the Medal of Honor active profile, where it says modify profile u can save a new copy ... as say "Oni" . Then you will note that one of the options for this profile is that the extension limit is on - THIS is the important one (ensure that it is ON). Apply this profile. Then click the modify profile button again and select modify..deselect all the MOH apps and then browse to find your Oni app and select it (remember that it has to be ticked) and press OK. Now apply this profile, and hopefully Oni now works (if not i never wrote this tongue). Any more qns just ask.

- btw you'll prob need to get the latest Nvidia drivers...if thats alright with you tongue...

HTH

HINT: From the OniWiki regarding the old forum links:

Old link-to-thread
    http://mukade.bungie.org/cgi-bin/mukade … T;f=2;t=11
New link-to-thread
    http://oni.bungie.org/forums/index.php?threadid=12

(ignore the forum ID and increment the thread ID by 1)

Last edited by EdT (10/15/07 15:10)

#15 10/16/07 12:10

King Klear

Hmmm.. I'm pretty sure I've tried a couple of different drivers. Also, judging by Skiejpan's post, it isn't an Nvidia problem, as it is usually suggested.

Apart from downgrading the drivers, I'll check out the demo... if I can find it somewhere...

#16 11/10/07 19:11

geyser
Website

The messages about the missing resources have nothing to do with the black screen.
As for the demo, there are download links on the wiki and a package on svn.oni2.net
I'm not sure your problem has been solved before but it's clear that Nvidias suck smile
I'd have a further look through older threads if I were you. I think there was a fix.

And it does load all the OpenGL stuff, though I really, really use the XP ready, fixed, tweaked, patched oni.exe. Honestly!

It's quite suspicious that it used to list the GL extensions even when told not to.
But probably the problem has to do with some completely different GFX setting.
If there ever was a positive fix on these forums, I don't remember what it was.
Sorry.

Last edited by geyser (11/10/07 19:11)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#17 09/07/08 07:09

s10k
Website

I believe you need install updated drivers of video card.

#18 09/08/08 03:09

RossyMiles
Website

If nothing else works you could try my C build of daodan. It does everything the official build does except it starts the OpenGL window in windowed mode. Unzip the link below to your "C:\Program Files\Oni" directory to use it.

http://sites.google.com/site/rossymiles/oni/daodan.zip

Board footer